MLB Postseason

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
God damn, I caught the end of the cubbies game. From 3-1 chi. That pinch hit grand slam was like hooooly shit. What a huge jack. Then the next pitch another homer.

They look like the team to beat for sure.

I'm nervous already for the WS lol

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Well, @Jacob Fox , looks as though our teams are facing off for the grand prize. May the best team win! And 1 of the 2 longest streaks end!

I feel like this series is going to go the distance. Which if it does, Chicago should have an advantage pitching-wise.

Unless our bullpen is as flawless as they've been up to this point. Our offence needs to get more than a couple runs per game. Cubs scored plenty of runs in this past series.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Well, @Jacob Fox , looks as though our teams are facing off for the grand prize. May the best team win! And 1 of the 2 longest streaks end!

I feel like this series is going to go the distance. Which if it does, Chicago should have an advantage pitching-wise.

Unless our bullpen is as flawless as they've been up to this point. Our offence needs to get more than a couple runs per game. Cubs scored plenty of runs in this past series.

It's pretty amazing that the World Series will be between the two longest title droughts. Though I, of course, prefer the Cubs winning, I will be happy for either city.

Going into last night's game, I was pretty nervous. The way Kershaw and Rich Hill blanked the Cubs two games in a row, I pretty much thought we were done for. But watching what we did to Kershaw last night... I have no idea what to expect.

Not sure how I will feel about the Series until it gets here. When I was a kid, I was a big Oakland fan and I saw them in three World Series in a row, so I know what it is like to have a team I like in the Series. But I am a much bigger Cubs fan than I ever was an Oakland fan. This will be a whole new experience. I sort of almost feel like it was more stressful getting to the World Series than actually being in it. For all intent and purposes, the "curse" was broken by getting there.

I can't say I really know enough about the Indians to give an opinion at this point. It's been difficult enough keeping up with Cubs amid also keeping up with tons and tons of wrestling this year. But I'll try to learn as much as possible in the next few days. Looking very forward to seeing what happens next :)

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
That's how it was for me this year too, except once playoffs hit, no more wrestling until after world series. That's too much to try and keep up with. Having a baby and all, it's almost too much just watching ball.

I haven't hardly kept up with the Indians this season, like I said their games don't get aired here anymore except when they play toronto. But what I do know is that they have a tight-knit team who seem to get along well, and a very deep bullpen. Who they've needed to lean on all playoffs as 3 of our starters are out.

They say corasco and Salazar want to pitch the WS, but I'd do not push it. If they're not 100% they could fuck everything up.
Put the rookie Merritt on the mound for game 3 or 4 (now with 14.1 IP in his big league career after his start vs toronto going 3.1 IP with only allowing 1 hit). Save Bauer for game 4 or 5 to give his finger more time to heal.

I'm nervous playing the cubs. The run difference is like 45-27. Cubs win alot of their games by a mile it seems.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I really don't know what to expect as I haven't really watched any games this year that aren't Cubs games. I would think that the thing you have to be nervous about the most is what we did to Kershaw last night. I was completely taken aback by that. I went into that game fully expecting a game 7. I mean, Kershaw is vicious. And we just dismantled him piece by piece. That was something and if it continues, I would think you have something to be nervous about.

On the other hand, you guys are going to be a lot more well rested than we are. You can pretty much start any pitcher you want to. We're likely going to go with Arietta, which shouldn't be too intimidating. He hasn't pitched this post season like the Arietta from last year. You'll have at least two games, I believe, under your belt before you have to go up against Lester or Hendricks. Even in a 7 game series, you might not have to go up against both of them twice and that is a huge positive.

Home field doesn't appear to mean much this year. LA only won one of their 3 home games. We also lost a home game with Hendricks pitching, so I think home or away won't make a big difference for either team. I don't know what an Indians crowd is like because I can't remember the last time I watched an Indians game.

Both teams are teams that have a history of choking, although I think the Cubs have a more extensive history of it than the Indians. I also wouldn't be worried about the run differential if I was you. Our runs have been rather unevenly divided. When we win a game, we often win that one game by a wide margin... then the next day we might get shut out. So I don't think you should be nervous about that.

I don't really know the psychological aspect will affect either team either. I mean, for the Cubs, we've seen "the curse" as getting to the World Series. So it's like we've finally broken it (I don't believe in curses myself, but there is a psychological reality that can manifest when you BELIEVE you are cursed). We might feel empowered to just start crushing it... or the weight of not winning a World Series since 1908 might have a stronger bearing on the game than we know.

Either way, this is an exciting World Series. My dream series used to always be the Red Sox vs the Cubs, but I gave that up when the Sox finally won their Series. Ever since, as weird as this may sound, my dream series has been the Cubs and the Indians. I think this is going to be great for baseball because one of these two long suffering teams is finally going to stop suffering. I might go through several boxes of wine ;)

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Kluber gets the ball in game 1. And if it goes long, probably game 6 or 7. He got it in 1 and 4 vs jays. Both times they hit off him like he was a rookie. He's our ace but hasn't exactly been pitching like it. I mean after he settled in vs jays in game 1 it was lights out, but the first few innings were bad. Same with game 4 they hit him all over the place.

But take game 3 for example. Bauer started, pitched 2/3 of the first inning then the ball got turned over to the bullpen and we won that one still with solid pitching. Then game 5 the rookie started. Only his 2nd career mlb start, 11IP before that. And only allowed 1 hit in 4.1 innings. Once they got a hit he got taken out just so the 'pen could take over and shut shit down. [HASHTAG]#millertime[/HASHTAG].

A cleveland crowd is like a Chicago crowd basically. Passionate and loud. But from my experience a toronto crowd is the loudest. Especially with the closed dome.

Both teams may have a history of choking, but these aren't the same teams from the past. One team may choke obviously. Us tribe fans KNOW we're not the ones expected to win, so I think that will push the guys to play a little better.

And no home field doesn't really matter, we have gone 7-1 and won both series on the road. Also haven't lost at home either though lol.

The rest factor could help, or could go agains us. Some rest is good, but it's been almost a week since the high of advancing, cubs are still riding their high. That could play a part in game 1.

Unfortunately I'll only get to see games 4 and 5 live. The others I'll have to record and watch after work. I'll have to avoid the Internet and radios at all costs haha.
I'm totally looking forward to this series aswell and may the best team win!

Hope the umpires have better eyes this series. There has been some very bad calls on all sides in our alds and alcs. Hope they're better this time lol

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
It's interesting if your bullpen is your strongest asset because the Cubs have this thing about once they get an offensive spark in a game, it catches fire. It seems that the each team's strong asset is in direct conflict with their opponents .

It'll be interesting. I'll definitely watch every game just because I work at home and I can do that. I really don't know how I'll feel about it though. Will probably be a nail biter for fans on both sides.

I'm assuming that Maddon will start Lester on Wednesday so they'll be able to use him twice if it is a long series .

Anyway,.I'm definitely looking forward to it all.

Never discount an underdog though.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Wow, the Cubs are going with Lester for the opener. I honestly thought they'd go with Arietta in the first game for some reason. I guess I thought they'd want to give Lester one more day of rest because he pitched on Thursday. But I guess that's a full rest. Arietta does better on the road, so it makes sense to have him the second. And Hendricks is going up on the first game at Wrigley.

I am feeling pretty good about this right now. But I won't get a good feel until after that opening game.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Oh wow. I'm not familiar with your pitching so I'm not sure what to expect.
Kluber pitched last Monday I think so he's had plenty of rest.
I just hope we score first tonight and tomorrow. God I hope so lol.

I'll have to start the game probably around the same time it ends. I get off work at 11 :-( so I'll have it recording to start when I get home. Avoiding the Internet, and spoilers from people coming in for midnights will be so hard haha

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Well Jon Lester is probably the most likely to win the NL Cy Young award this year. He also has the most post season experience on the Cubs staff. Cubs have won all of his post season starts and he has only allowed 2 runs in 21 innings of post season play. He pitched the first game of a World Series before.... the Red Sox vs the Cardinals... and he absolutely annihilated the Cardinals. He's probably the most composed pitcher we have.

Just giving you a little insight on Lester. I don't know a lot about Kluber but I've read quite a bit in the past couple days. This ought to be a really good pitching match.

In actuality, we have to try to score early on you. Your bullpen appears to be much better than your staff. Our bullpen is not nearly as strong as our staff. So rather than score early, you guys will probably have better chances scoring late. They should also try to steal on Lester because he HATES throwing to first. However, his catcher has picked off quite a few this year... that's why he's matched up with that particular catcher.

Should be interesting. I'll wait until you're done watching before I post anything.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Well if he's the most composed, I'm sorry. Lol

Just finished a little bit ago and WOW I did NOT expect that outcome.

In all seriousness though, cubs threatened a couple of times there and miller managed to get out of 2 huge jams.

That pick off of lindor at 2nd base....ehhhh I don't know abour that. And that called strike 3 on guyer later in the game.... not so sure about that one too lol.

There was a few pitches that Lester didn't get the call for too. But overall it was fairly decent umpiring.

I saw what you meant by Leste doesn't like to throw. He could have picked lindor off by a mile at first base at one point lol.

So, we shut out the top offense in the game, and the announcers say the cubs still have the momentum?
We can't seem to get any credit lol.

I'm excited to see what game 2 brings. Going to be a hell of a series.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Lester's performance was an aberration. I mentioned before I was surprised that they picked him for the first game. They really should have picked Arietta for the first, Lackey for the second and then used Lester and Hendricks back home. Lester does so much better at home, while Arietta and Lackey do so much better on the road.. it was weird.

Yeah, it will be quite the series. We'll see what happens.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Another interesting stat was in innings 1-6 of this post season we scored 27 runs. 7th inning on, 0 runs. We managed to break that tonight too. What a homer. 2nd homer of the game too for Perez!

You guys had 2 monster hits to right that I thought were going out. Too bad the guy in the 9th felt the need to showboat and be all cocky. He would have had an easy triple if not for that. Like the announcer said, you're down 6-0 there was no need for that. Kinda made me chuckle a bit lol

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Honestly, my friend, I have no idea how this is going to go. I got so bent out of shape when we were behind in the NLCS and actually lost sleep over being down 2-1. But these Cubs are scary and they rebounded and destroyed the best pitcher in baseball... which shocked the living crap out of me.

My perspective is this: I want to win, but for me, getting to the World Series was my moment. Winning the pennant, for me, broke the curse. I actually feel a little underwhelmed in regards to the world series. That doesn't mean I don't want to win. But I feel like getting to the series after 71 years of failure is a victory in itself.

That being said, I do want to win. But I am also happy that the one person I am talking to about it is cool about it all :)

Reactions: Gman003

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
That's a good way to look at it I suppose. I'm the same way, I'd love to see us win but if not, just getting there is an accomplishment. Especially considering all of our obstacles this post season. Very depleted starting rotation. Bauer out with his finger (I think it's a bad choice to start him tonight, but I'm not in charge lol)

Yes I agree its nice to talk about it with someone who's pretty chill about it all. Most people have a giant hard on for their team and won't budge lol

Reactions: Jacob Fox