Madden 13 Discussion thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
There's a pretty huge update coming out about a week from now. Apparently it's supposed to fix every issue people were complaining about. You can finally edit gear and jersey numbers in coach mode. Which is good, because I've had like 2 different defensive players use #22 on the Cowboys and I was seriously starting to get sick of it.

I'm on my sixth season with the Cowboys. So many fucking people have retired. Demarcus Ware and Romo are both gone. Brady and Peyton retired after the first fucking season. Eli Manning plays for the Saints and Brees is his backup. Colts couldn't resign Andrew Luck, so now he's the backup in San Diego behind Rivers. Sam Bradford plays for the Raiders and Palmer plays for the Giants. Everything is so fucked up in my career now lol.

Reaction score
It doesn't fix the biggest issue in the game, and that's the broken zone coverage. It's one of the few things that can be labeled as a game breaker.

Of the 42 "fixes" coming out in this patch, only three even remotely affect me.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I don't even see the issue with zone coverage tbh. Works fine for me.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I still don't see the issue. The defender in the 1st vid breaks off when the player leaves his zone, which is correct because the ball hasn't been thrown yet. And the DB's in the second two vids both run towards the pass as soon as it's thrown, but the receiver is already wide open. That's just someone who doesn't know how to call plays. If you use zone coverage, you have to hurry the passer and force errant throws. It's not hard for even an amateur QB to find the gaps in zone coverage if you have all day to throw. Unless you're sending 6-7 people after the quarterback, zone coverage is weak defense.

You can also... you know... take control of the safeties and manually defend passes (which I do a lot, particularly on all-out blitzes). There's also the new ball hawk feature. Seems to me like the people complaining about the zone defense are people used to taking advantage of exploits in previous Madden titles. I rarely even use zone coverage.

One 3rd and long's, I'll use Cover 3 just to make sure they throw it short of the marker, and then make the tackle to force 4th down. I drop both safeties in zone on most plays just to eliminate the deep ball, and it works with man-to-man coverage. Occasionally I manually control a middle linebacker in zone when they keep throwing to a TE over the middle. But I NEVER play the corners in zone. Ever. That's just fucking suicide, especially if you don't get to the QB fast enough. Can't depend on 1-on-1 coverage with a safety. That's a mismatch on most every defense. You might get away with it using the Ravens sometimes, but that's it really. The only time I get burned deep is when I blitz a safety and a WR beats my corner on that side. I've had to learn repeatedly not to use press coverage when blitzing a safety. I'm a little fucking reckless though, so I still do it. :p

Reaction score
Wrong. Video one, the cornerback sees the quarterback throw the ball. He would NOT break off his zone in this case because he already knows the ball is in the air.

It's a bug.

Wrong. Video two, the cornerback does not choose which receiver to follow until after he sees the quarterback throw the ball. Yes, one way or another a receiver is going to be wide open, but whenever the corner knows the ball is in the air, he is going to go after the right one.

It's a bug.

I know how to call plays, but the game is broken and EA HAS ADMITTED THAT IT IS A BUG.

The people complaining about zone coverage are the hardcore gamers, the ones who care about an authentic product.

I love people like you who if something goes wrong, "you just don't know how to play the game" and it's people like you who probably use every glitch and bug to your advantage.

All I'm seeing in your post is someone who doesn't understand football and probably has never played it.

Last edited:

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Yeah, I'm not going argue authenticity because some CBs play players differently but if you can't adapt to the change then it's more you don't know how to play the game. I'm sorry, I've dealt with a bunch of bullshit over the years playing EA Sports games and instead of relating it to the actual game I just learned how to react to what they were giving me. It's a video game for fuck sakes.

I'm in year 10 now without Adrian Peterson but I got Jamaal Charles and Jeremy Maclin to go along with Percy Harvin. I have a rookie QB who is actually looking promising. What is odd is I drafted two crappy QBs and then I traded for the other guy. Of course with spending so much on talent at skilled positions I don't have the best offensive line which has led to some horrible RB performances. I still got a winning record for the moment at least and planning on returning to the game as soon as I decide to buy batteries for my only fully working wireless controller.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not going argue authenticity because some CBs play players differently but if you can't adapt to the change then it's more you don't know how to play the game. I'm sorry, I've dealt with a bunch of bullshit over the years playing EA Sports games and instead of relating it to the actual game I just learned how to react to what they were giving me. It's a video game for fuck sakes.

What you don't seem to understand is he was watching the quarterback the entire time. If you're watching the quarterback until the ball comes out of his hands, you know where the ball is going and you aren't going to turn and cover the wrong guy.

The same goes for zone. If the ball leaves the quarterbacks hands, zone is completely thrown out of the window. It turns into everyone who has their eyes on the quarterback is breaking for the ball. Regardless if it's a video game or not, they say they're trying to make the game as close to real life as possible and they just aren't doing that.

You can't control all 11 guys on the field at once, so saying you "don't know how to play the game" is just peoples way of dismissing legitimate issues. EA has already said that IT IS a bug and it will be addressed in a future tuner or patch.

I'm in year 10 now without Adrian Peterson but I got Jamaal Charles and Jeremy Maclin to go along with Percy Harvin. I have a rookie QB who is actually looking promising. What is odd is I drafted two crappy QBs and then I traded for the other guy. Of course with spending so much on talent at skilled positions I don't have the best offensive line which has led to some horrible RB performances. I still got a winning record for the moment at least and planning on returning to the game as soon as I decide to buy batteries for my only fully working wireless controller.

What happened to Peterson? I assume he retired if you're in Year 10, but that's awesome that you got Jamaal Charles to replace him. Did you trade Ponder, too?

Last edited:

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Whatever you say man. I have no issue getting picks with the safeties so you're clearly doing something wrong. I've been playing the series since Madden 02, so yeah, it's safe to say I know considerably more than you. Zone coverage is for noobs.

Reaction score
Whatever you say man. I have no issue getting picks with the safeties so you're clearly doing something wrong. I've been playing the series since Madden 02, so yeah, it's safe to say I know considerably more than you. Zone coverage is for noobs.

Uh, I've been playing the series since Madden 99, Madden 94 if you count playing with my brother, so you playing since Madden 02 means nothing. I never said I had issues getting picks, I average 5 a game. If Zone Coverage is for noobs, I guess every coach in the NFL are noobs.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Oh wow, so you've been playing since you were 4 years old? Please. Find someone else to try to impress with your bs.

For the last time, there's nothing wrong with the zone coverage. Learn2play.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
If you want authentic gameplay... Play outside? It's a fucking video game, shit happens. Getting pissy over something like that is ridiculous. And pretty much saying someone's input is wrong because they haven't played the series as long as you doesn't make you cool there bud. Telling people to grow up, my God, take your own advice.

Now, I have yet to play the game, I remember playing '12 and kind of enjoying it. You can put your own team together right?

Reaction score
If you want authentic gameplay... Play outside? It's a fucking video game, shit happens. Getting pissy over something like that is ridiculous. And pretty much saying someone's input is wrong because they haven't played the series as long as you doesn't make you cool there bud. Telling people to grow up, my God, take your own advice.

He's the one that acted like my input was wrong because "he's been playing since 2002", so I can't come back and tell him I've been playing since I was a kid? I DO play football outside, not going to play outside at 11pm.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
lol, I don't think you truly understood what I meant, but that's okay. Not everybody can read sarcasm on the internet. I don't think he stated anywhere that your input was wrong. He just didn't see anything wrong with what you found wrong.