Lucha Underground on El Rey

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
How the fuck are Cole and Lawler rookies?

A rookie is someone new at their job. Vampiro is more of a rookie commentator than either Cole or Lawler.

I meant they're bad at their job like they're still rookies.

Reactions: Bort

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I meant they're bad at their job like they're still rookies.
That would imply that a rookie is bad at his job. Tom Phillips is a rookie but he isn't a bad commentator. Neither are Michael Cole or Jerry Lawler.
Cole is brought down by the monkey telling him what to say over his headset. And Lawler doesn't care anymore.
But if Cole got free reign you have the best play by play announcer in the business.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
That would imply that a rookie is bad at his job. Tom Phillips is a rookie but he isn't a bad commentator. Neither are Michael Cole or Jerry Lawler.
Cole is brought down by the monkey telling him what to say over his headset. And Lawler doesn't care anymore.
But if Cole got free reign you have the best play by play announcer in the business.

So, you're implying that a rookie is great at his job right from the start? That's not entirely correct, you get better with time passing by, it's a learning experience.

Tom Phillips kinda sounds like Cole at some bits, but he's decent, while Byron Saxton tries too hard at being a heel-ish JBL and fails at it.

I'll be honest with ya, I did like Cole once, when he was a commentator on SmackDown along with Tazz. If Cole got 'free reign' as you said, instead of being told what to do, I would take back every bad word I said about him. As far as Lawler's worthless ass goes, he should be fired, they should bring in Kyle Edwards. Heel Lawler was the best, the fact that he's not trying anymore and doesn't give a fuck, he should be gone. As simple as that.

Stopspot

Reaction score
So, you're implying that a rookie is great at his job right from the start? That's not entirely correct, you get better with time passing by, it's a learning experience.

Tom Phillips kinda sounds like Cole at some bits, but he's decent, while Byron Saxton tries too hard at being a heel-ish JBL and fails at it.

I'll be honest with ya, I did like Cole once, when he was a commentator on SmackDown along with Tazz. If Cole got 'free reign' as you said, instead of being told what to do, I would take back every bad word I said about him. As far as Lawler's worthless ass goes, he should be fired, they should bring in Kyle Edwards. Heel Lawler was the best, the fact that he's not trying anymore and doesn't give a fuck, he should be gone. As simple as that.

Of course a rookie doesn't have to be great from the start. But he doesn't have to be bad either.

And why should they bring in Arda Ocal to replace Lawler when he has no proven track record as a commentator? You said it yourself, he's a rookie so that doesn't mean that he can just hop into commentary on mondays and be good at it.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Of course a rookie doesn't have to be great from the start. But he doesn't have to be bad either.

And why should they bring in Arda Ocal to replace Lawler when he has no proven track record as a commentator? You said it yourself, he's a rookie so that doesn't mean that he can just hop into commentary on mondays and be good at it.

'cause that's what everyone's been saying ever since he signed with WWE, that this guy is a mark and apparently great at his job/what he's done so far. He should be given a chance and if he's not that good at it, they can easily take him off.

Stopspot

Reaction score
'cause that's what everyone's been saying ever since he signed with WWE, that this guy is a mark and apparently great at his job/what he's done so far. He should be given a chance and if he's not that good at it, they can easily take him off.
I have seen zero reports on Ocal since signing and I read most of the major sheets. So forgive me if I take this with a grain of salt.

Ocal is a good interviewer, that I'll give him since that is were his background is from. But put him on NXT first. He could end up being as horrible on commentary as Reneé is and we don't want that on Monday nights.

Face Lawler out yes, but replace him with someone worthwhile.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I have seen zero reports on Ocal since signing and I read most of the major sheets. So forgive me if I take this with a grain of salt.

Ocal is a good interviewer, that I'll give him since that is were his background is from. But put him on NXT first. He could end up being as horrible on commentary as Reneé is and we don't want that on Monday nights.

Face Lawler out yes, but replace him with someone worthwhile.

Well, of course, he should report to NXT first. The commentary without Regal there is pretty meh, imo.

Is there someone worthwile (in WWE) other than Phillips to replace Lawler? I highly doubt they'd bring JR back.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Well, of course, he should report to NXT first. The commentary without Regal there is pretty meh, imo.

Is there someone worthwile (in WWE) other than Phillips to replace Lawler? I highly doubt they'd bring JR back.
Why replace a color guy with play by play? Both Phillips and JR are play by play so they have no business at the table unless that is there role (like on Smackdown with Philips being play by play and Cole the face color commentary).

Besides. JR is too old now, he can't keep up with what is going on (but that's a story for a different thread).

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Why replace a color guy with play by play? Both Phillips and JR are play by play so they have no business at the table unless that is there role (like on Smackdown with Philips being play by play and Cole the face color commentary).

Besides. JR is too old now, he can't keep up with what is going on (but that's a story for a different thread).

I'm just saying... I'd love it if Lawler was gone, that's all.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
Har de har har. Excalibur?

Who are better in western wrestling right now?
(Honestly this should be a thread in and of itself. BRB)

Excalibur, those NXT guys (judging from few matches I watched), Gavin Loudspeaker, Bryce Rembsburg, Lenny Leonard, hell even Tenay and Taz.

The only dudes worse than Cole, Laler and JBL are Corino, Kelly and Nigel, and whoever the fuck does CZW.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
So? They're better and that's all I know. You can say Vince is shouting shit in Cole's ear, but it is what it is, Cole is bad because of it. Bottom line is - Cole is bad. I know he's talented (I watched SmackDown's glory years ffs), but that talent doesn't show. It might be because of Vince, but it's not the matter of discussion.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
That's Cole telling them what to say. He's the producer of commentary down in NXT.
Just to piggy back off of what Stop has been alluding to, Michael Cole has the toughest job during each TV broadcast.
Cole is responsible for making major (sometimes tragic) announcements, promoting sponsors and the latest (and lamest) WWE projects.
In addition to getting yelled through the headset, he must call the action and put over talent he probably knows are useless bums.
For every WWE app, every WWE Network announcement there is a Great Khali he must put over like a million bucks.
It can't be easy laughing at lame Cena jokes and disagreeing with Paul Heyman (when he actually agrees with him).

The political and commercialized nature of WWE is extremely difficult to untangle and convey through 3 hours of RAW and 2 hours of Smackdown.