Lucha Underground on El Rey

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Geek773

First RWK Euro Champion
Banned
Reaction score
JEEEEEEEEEEEESUS Did he crush his fuckin skull?! Christ! Really excited to see what they do with Cage now. Does he kill everyone and win the Cueto Cup?

Other than that, another great episode. Cueto Cup will bring a lot of great 1v1 matches with purpose and I love that they have Dario setting up the bracket without any claim that it's random, so that nice matches that work with other stories can be made. Also looking forward to the stories around Pentagon, Drago, whether Aerostar does anything interesting on his own, what happens with Fenix, Puma, etc etc etc

Also that Mysterio vs Mundo video package was lit. Kinda hoping LU have new eps going out on Netflix by the time that match airs so that it gets some actual eyes on it and hype around it.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Good show this week.

Love that Pentagon Dark is back and that ending was sick, man! :damn:

Reactions: Geek773

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
No Netflix, no El Rey Network in Canada :sad:

Nikki Nitro

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
I hv Netflix and I've seen part of a show on Lucha Underground. Never knew there was such a thing till I was Surfing the netflix. With WWE as boreing as it is now, :(I may watch Lucha instead for awhile.

Geek773

First RWK Euro Champion
Banned
Reaction score
LU's problem with getting eyes on the product sucks because it's easily one of the best products in the world. Hope Netflix start streaming new eps eventually. Currently I'm watching on watchwrestling but as soon as I get a job I'm gonna start buying it on iTunes to do what I can to support...

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This week's show was a bit of a letdown considering last week's episode, but still, it was a decent show.

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
This week's show was a bit of a letdown considering last week's episode, but still, it was a decent show.
They tend to do that a lot. I suppose the really really good episodes wouldn't seem as special though if every week was as good as last week's episode. Like you said though, still a decent episode for them. It's actually kinda awesome how much story they are able to have during a tournament as big as this. Every match really feels important. And this Marty/Mariposa story keeps getting better in my opinion.

Reactions: Geek773

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Things I love about this Lucha Underground tournament:

-Lucha Underground
-Tournaments

It's... Easier to talk about and nitpick the 5% of bad as opposed to the 95% of good, so. I wish there were more satisfying squashes on this show. Seeing Argenis and Vinnie Massaro get in hope spots against Pentagon and DEMON GOD CAGE doesn't do anything for anybody. Would have loved five minutes more video packages each episodes and those two matches to be shorter. I love the 20 minute high-flying Lucha matches as much as anyone, but what helped me love this show was watching dudes beat each others' asses.

...but man, did I love watching Mascarita Segrada almost beat Pindar. 'Dar seems really green so far - and if there's ever a show to train on it's this one - but watching the killer snakeman screw around and ragdoll Mascarita before watching David legit almost defeat Goliath (for a future showdown with Cage, lmao)

Drago and Aerostar was really fun, so was the new flamboyant Fenix, the Melissa Santos angle is quality, push Saltador he's the greatest thing ever, that bug incest shit was really unsettling, I hate the damn Moth more than everyone else in wrestling combined, and Texano is also there.

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
Things I love about this Lucha Underground tournament:

-Lucha Underground
-Tournaments

It's... Easier to talk about and nitpick the 5% of bad as opposed to the 95% of good, so. I wish there were more satisfying squashes on this show. Seeing Argenis and Vinnie Massaro get in hope spots against Pentagon and DEMON GOD CAGE doesn't do anything for anybody. Would have loved five minutes more video packages each episodes and those two matches to be shorter. I love the 20 minute high-flying Lucha matches as much as anyone, but what helped me love this show was watching dudes beat each others' asses.

...but man, did I love watching Mascarita Segrada almost beat Pindar. 'Dar seems really green so far - and if there's ever a show to train on it's this one - but watching the killer snakeman screw around and ragdoll Mascarita before watching David legit almost defeat Goliath (for a future showdown with Cage, lmao)

Drago and Aerostar was really fun, so was the new flamboyant Fenix, the Melissa Santos angle is quality, push Saltador he's the greatest thing ever, that bug incest shit was really unsettling, I hate the damn Moth more than everyone else in wrestling combined, and Texano is also there.
I can see where you're coming from for the most part, but for me, LU isn't just another traditional wrestling company, so I really like the hope spots and close matches that most companies wouldn't push as being close. The idea that anyone can suddenly become a threat, or important to the LU universe, is really cool to me. The Mack was brought in just as Big Ryck's cousin, and is now only a short time later a super maineventer. Joey Ryan and Ricky Reyes, just a comedy wrestler and a henchman, were revealed to be working for the government and what not. And Marty the Moth was literally just introduced to us at first as a crazy fan. With the exception of people leaving the company, every little thing in LU, big or small, is either created with a larger purpose or written to have one later. Which is why I have no issue with stuff like that. Season 4 could be the season where Vinnie Massaro is revealed to be some all-powerful alien creature and is the biggest threat ever, which is why it took so much for Cage to beat him. You really just never know.

As for Marty and Mariposa...I absolutely love it. It's different. Marty is such a good creep and/or movie villain, and Mariposa has really grown on me as a character as well. And they can both go in the ring when they are actually called upon to do so (see the WMD and No Mas matches as prime examples)

Reactions: Snowman1

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I can see where you're coming from for the most part, but for me, LU isn't just another traditional wrestling company, so I really like the hope spots and close matches that most companies wouldn't push as being close. The idea that anyone can suddenly become a threat, or important to the LU universe, is really cool to me. The Mack was brought in just as Big Ryck's cousin, and is now only a short time later a super maineventer. Joey Ryan and Ricky Reyes, just a comedy wrestler and a henchman, were revealed to be working for the government and what not. And Marty the Moth was literally just introduced to us at first as a crazy fan. With the exception of people leaving the company, every little thing in LU, big or small, is either created with a larger purpose or written to have one later. Which is why I have no issue with stuff like that. Season 4 could be the season where Vinnie Massaro is revealed to be some all-powerful alien creature and is the biggest threat ever, which is why it took so much for Cage to beat him. You really just never know.

As for Marty and Mariposa...I absolutely love it. It's different. Marty is such a good creep and/or movie villain, and Mariposa has really grown on me as a character as well. And they can both go in the ring when they are actually called upon to do so (see the WMD and No Mas matches as prime examples)

...I'm going to backtrack with one part after that hurried, aggravated post earlier, and post-erase that part about how "it doesn't do anything for anybody" because... I think it was coming more from a place of disappointment over not watching those two monsters go out and truck dudes and less about booking/writing and the typical McMahonsplaining we do for everything else around here...

Because to your point, it's not like any other wrestling company. Argenis can be revealed next week as the character that has the next... amulet-thing? (Trying to remember what it was that the police chief had that was key to saving the world) and his renewed push can be based on that and his superpowers can win him some matches. Nothing's beyond repair. Vinnie the Alien Creature landing in the bathroom of the Temple sounds like a backstage segment I need to see...

And the Moth part was carefully worded, actually, to see if anyone would catch onto that. When I watch a Marty segment my stomach churns and I get really annoyed, but I'm usually so sucked-into what's going on that this little 2-minute segment doesn't make me rush to the fast-forward button... Instead, I can watch it and then really get a sick, excited look on my face as Killshot drives this fucker off a ladder through a table underneath head-first. It is SO REFRESHING to actually hate a heel that way, and something wrestling is really missing. Far cry from talking about this Carmella nonsense in that other thread lol

Reactions: Jeffry Mason

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Good and fun show this week.

Muertes destroying Veneno was fun, London vs Vibora was amusing enough, as well as Taya vs Ryan.

They advanced the Crane/Catrina/Muertes program and set up The Rabbit Tribe vs The Lizards nicely.

They also delivered a pretty good and fun ME, Crane vs Killshot was easily MOTN and also advanced Killshot/Fox.

The closing segment was good. So, now we have Son of Madness (who appears to be Son of Havoc's evil twin) going against Son of Havoc next week. That's gonna be good.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Episode #25 was good. The deeper we go into the tournament, the better it gets. Keep it up, LUG!

SWAGSUKE

The Artiste
Banned
Reaction score
I'm far behind on S3, but Lucha Underground is awesome. They really have their own style. It's pulpy af and I love it.