Lucha Underground on El Rey

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Geek773

First RWK Euro Champion
Banned
Reaction score
Another great episode, love how they're now slowly moving build for Mysterio vs Mundo out of the video packages and back into the Temple. Perfect way to advance Fox while keeping both him and EDAJ strong, Rey also looked great with how long he lasted against five people (Mundo, Evans, Black, Taya, Mandel).

Otherwise, Puma's story is great as is his new finisher, which according to Twitter (posted by a guy called "Ricochet", not sure how he'd know?!?!) is called "Vertigo".

20170705luchaunderground-puma.gif

Finally, I personally liked the way the Son of Havoc/Son of Madness story played out. Some people seem to think the initial commentary confusion contrasts too hard with the way Vampiro was eventually able to give a fair amount of info that he seemed quite sure of, but I think his kayfabe familiarity with biker culture covers it. The match was fun, visuals were cool, Havoc was kept strong, story is continued. Nice.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Episode #26 was good.

The wrestling was good and all three matches were different in their own way, storylines got moving and overall, it was an easy and enjoyable show to watch.

Reactions: Geek773

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Episode #27 was good and fun. The second round of the Cueto Cup has been enjoyable. Keep it up, LU!

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Episode #28 was solid.

Pentagon Dark vs Drago was MOTN, the other two matches were okay, but the finishes were lame.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Episode #29 was very good and one of the best episodes this season. It absolutely ruled, I loved every bit of it.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Episode #31 was great. I knew the semi-finals wouldn't disappoint. It absolutely ruled.

- The Cage/Catrina stuff in the opening segment was good.

- El Jefe/Joey Ryan stuff was alright and also set up a Mask vs Mask match between Sexy Star/Veneno next week.

- Prince Puma vs Fenix was very good and fun. I would have preferred if Marty interfered post-match instead, but oh well.

- Mil Muertes working out was a glorious segment. It was so brutal and intense, it shook the entire temple. :damn:

- Pentagon Dark vs Mil Muertes was good. Cage attacking Mil pre-match protected him in this match, although I think had they let Pentagon and Muertes go all out, it would've made for a great match.

- The closing segment with Mundo and ReyRey followed by the entire locker room brawling was awesome, loved it. Looking forward to the Cueto Cup finals next week.

Geek773

First RWK Euro Champion
Banned
Reaction score
I missed a few weeks so I caught up on last 3 eps today, now fully up to date. All 3 were pretty great but the last one was outstanding. Next week will be the LU Rumble equivalent, in that it's going to be the brilliant event that sets the stories for every match of Ultima Lucha III in motion and I cannot wait (obviously Aztec Warfare is the rumble match equivalent, but that show is much more SummerSlam in terms of its importance and position in the year/season). Going to see if I can predict UL3's card after that show, I'm so excited...

Geek773

First RWK Euro Champion
Banned
Reaction score
Actually, I'm going to try and predict next week and then have a little go at UL3 now (I'm sure much of this is spoiled, UL3 is probably already taped too, but if you've had spoilers let me and anyone else who wants to have a go exist in our little bubble without letting us know if we're right)...

Veneno vs Sexy Star (Mask vs Mask) - Sexy Star is the weird exception to LU's top class booking, she never ever looks weak. Perhaps because she's the token female-main-eventer in this intergender promotion, which is fine. But even if that wasn't the case, she's absolutely not losing her mask and Veneno, to be revealed as Reyes, has every storyline reason to.

Interested to see where Reyes goes next, if anywhere, and how he'll link (this is LU, stories will link) with the story about Catrina, the LAPD head she calls her mother (Reyes' boss), Muertes, Cage and the Gauntlet. I also think that this story (which seems to revolve around the re-emergence of "the gods", commencing through Cage via the Gauntlet) will link with the rebuilding of the Gift of the Gods, but again am fascinated to see how it happens.

Pentagon Dark vs Prince Puma (Cueto Cup Final) - I'm not that sure about this, either could win, but I have a few reasons to believe that it's Pentagon who's main eventing UL3 and not Puma. One, very simply, the branding of season three has revolved around Pentagon so it makes sense that he would headline the finale. Two, Pentagon's only real character arc (not that he needs one to be fucking awesome) is that he'll break everyone's arm until he gets the gold, so he needs the title match more than Puma - if he doesn't get it, he's just back to where he was when he first went Dark after his story with Vampiro. Three, as much as Pentagon is the furthest thing from a squeaky clean face, he is very opposite to Mundo in terms of boldness vs cowardice - the man who needs four other people to protect his belt (most recently from The Mack and Sexy Star, neither of whom have ever been LU "pillars", as much as they were pushed big), vs the guy who has "zero fear" for a catchphrase.

And finally, Pentagon doesn't have a foundation for another match for UL3, but Puma does, against Rey. The slowly-turning-in-all-but-reaction Puma against his former mentor, who has tried to dissuade him from bowing to Vampiro, with whom Puma has become disillusioned. Also, both will have failed on routes to the gold if my predictions are right, which could be reason for them to ally with each other in the UL build, allowing their friction to begin without Puma outright turning on Rey (which wouldn't be taken as intended in the Temple).

Johnny Mundo (c) vs Rey Mysterio (LU Championship) - Worldwide Underground have a lot of story progression left to do this season with the Cook thing and the stable slowly fracturing, and I think they need their role of protecting the belt in order to complete that. Plus, Mundo is the only truly reviled heel that LU has at the highest level and I, therefore, think he'll be in the main event of UL3 with the gold to create an "evil, cowardly champion to be usurped by fan favourite" main event. Rey doesn't need the gold, whatever match he's in at UL3 will be marquee regardless.

Are any other matches confirmed for next week? Three's a normal number for LU but gotta make sure I'm not missing anything.

Geek's Ultima Lucha III - Draft One

Johnny Mundo (c) vs Pentagon Dark (LU Championship)
Rey Mysterio vs Prince Puma
Mil Muertes vs Cage (for the Gauntlet)
Killshot vs Dante Fox (Gift of the Gods, I think the 7-way will happen before UL)
Rabbit Tribe vs The Reptiles (Trios Championship)
Fenix vs Marty "The Moth" (for Melissa? somehow?)
Son of Havoc vs Son of Madness (Deathmatch probably, since Madness prolly wants Havoc dead)
Taya vs Ivelisse? Or whatever match was booked just after UL2, if memory serves?

Sexy Star, The Mack and Aerostar will also be involved somehow, I reckon, but this is my best guess so far.

@Jacob Fox @Jeffry Fucking Mason wanna have a go at predictions like these, if you haven't had shit spoiled? I love this show so much, man.

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
Actually, I'm going to try and predict next week and then have a little go at UL3 now (I'm sure much of this is spoiled, UL3 is probably already taped too, but if you've had spoilers let me and anyone else who wants to have a go exist in our little bubble without letting us know if we're right)...

Veneno vs Sexy Star (Mask vs Mask) - Sexy Star is the weird exception to LU's top class booking, she never ever looks weak. Perhaps because she's the token female-main-eventer in this intergender promotion, which is fine. But even if that wasn't the case, she's absolutely not losing her mask and Veneno, to be revealed as Reyes, has every storyline reason to.

Interested to see where Reyes goes next, if anywhere, and how he'll link (this is LU, stories will link) with the story about Catrina, the LAPD head she calls her mother (Reyes' boss), Muertes, Cage and the Gauntlet. I also think that this story (which seems to revolve around the re-emergence of "the gods", commencing through Cage via the Gauntlet) will link with the rebuilding of the Gift of the Gods, but again am fascinated to see how it happens.

Pentagon Dark vs Prince Puma (Cueto Cup Final) - I'm not that sure about this, either could win, but I have a few reasons to believe that it's Pentagon who's main eventing UL3 and not Puma. One, very simply, the branding of season three has revolved around Pentagon so it makes sense that he would headline the finale. Two, Pentagon's only real character arc (not that he needs one to be fucking awesome) is that he'll break everyone's arm until he gets the gold, so he needs the title match more than Puma - if he doesn't get it, he's just back to where he was when he first went Dark after his story with Vampiro. Three, as much as Pentagon is the furthest thing from a squeaky clean face, he is very opposite to Mundo in terms of boldness vs cowardice - the man who needs four other people to protect his belt (most recently from The Mack and Sexy Star, neither of whom have ever been LU "pillars", as much as they were pushed big), vs the guy who has "zero fear" for a catchphrase.

And finally, Pentagon doesn't have a foundation for another match for UL3, but Puma does, against Rey. The slowly-turning-in-all-but-reaction Puma against his former mentor, who has tried to dissuade him from bowing to Vampiro, with whom Puma has become disillusioned. Also, both will have failed on routes to the gold if my predictions are right, which could be reason for them to ally with each other in the UL build, allowing their friction to begin without Puma outright turning on Rey (which wouldn't be taken as intended in the Temple).

Johnny Mundo (c) vs Rey Mysterio (LU Championship) - Worldwide Underground have a lot of story progression left to do this season with the Cook thing and the stable slowly fracturing, and I think they need their role of protecting the belt in order to complete that. Plus, Mundo is the only truly reviled heel that LU has at the highest level and I, therefore, think he'll be in the main event of UL3 with the gold to create an "evil, cowardly champion to be usurped by fan favourite" main event. Rey doesn't need the gold, whatever match he's in at UL3 will be marquee regardless.

Are any other matches confirmed for next week? Three's a normal number for LU but gotta make sure I'm not missing anything.

Geek's Ultima Lucha III - Draft One

Johnny Mundo (c) vs Pentagon Dark (LU Championship)
Rey Mysterio vs Prince Puma
Mil Muertes vs Cage (for the Gauntlet)
Killshot vs Dante Fox (Gift of the Gods, I think the 7-way will happen before UL)
Rabbit Tribe vs The Reptiles (Trios Championship)
Fenix vs Marty "The Moth" (for Melissa? somehow?)
Son of Havoc vs Son of Madness (Deathmatch probably, since Madness prolly wants Havoc dead)
Taya vs Ivelisse? Or whatever match was booked just after UL2, if memory serves?

Sexy Star, The Mack and Aerostar will also be involved somehow, I reckon, but this is my best guess so far.

@Jacob Fox @Jeffry Fucking Mason wanna have a go at predictions like these, if you haven't had shit spoiled? I love this show so much, man.
Warned for double posting. One more warning, and that's a ban.

Shit, this isn't 2004. Nor am I a mod. Pardon my drunken mistake xD

Also, good to see the ultimate blood-mark has finally taken enough time out of his deathmatch viewing schedule to finally watch something decent for a change ;)

Really, I'm just stalling with super entertaining jokes for the announcement that I am partially spoiled (not on purpose, fucking bleeve dat) and will therefore decline to comment. I love the fact that people are still dedicated to this show, however, after how much they've fucked the fans and talent over. Spoilers and shittiness aside, this really is an incredible show, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your prediction post

Geek773

First RWK Euro Champion
Banned
Reaction score
Warned for double posting. One more warning, and that's a ban.

Shit, this isn't 2004. Nor am I a mod. Pardon my drunken mistake xD

Also, good to see the ultimate blood-mark has finally taken enough time out of his deathmatch viewing schedule to finally watch something decent for a change :emoji_wink:

Really, I'm just stalling with super entertaining jokes for the announcement that I am partially spoiled (not on purpose, fucking bleeve dat) and will therefore decline to comment. I love the fact that people are still dedicated to this show, however, after how much they've fucked the fans and talent over. Spoilers and shittiness aside, this really is an incredible show, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your prediction post
It's really saddening to hear that they've treated talent like Puma/Pentagon/Drago badly and it's always frustrating how much off-time they have to have - LIKE PLS YOU'RE WONDERFUL AT MAKING WRESTLING SHOWS START BEING GOOD AT BUSINESS AAAAAARGH. If New Japan or someone could just like buy LU and handle its distribution/talent management but leave creative/production alone, we would be living in a perfect world.

Don't even want to think about post UL3, partially because it'll be several more months without LU but also because it'll be a shadow of its former self before it even gets to Netflix if they lose big talent. But I'm really, really excited for UL3, so mixed feelings.

Reactions: Jeffry Mason

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
The Cueto Cup finals was an okay, but disappointing episode.

- Sexy Star vs Veneno was poorly done, even though it continues Ryan/Castro feud.

- Prince Puma vs Pentagon Dark was great and the highlight of the show.

- Johnny Mundo vs Rey Mysterio was a good match ruined by a crap ending.

Geek773

First RWK Euro Champion
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, last episode was good but not everything it could've been. Star/Veneno was really disappointing, was never going to be great but could've been interesting. I really enjoyed Puma/Pentagon and was surprised by the result. Mysterio/Mundo was a little underwhelming but good, and the story it told of Dominik interfering because of Mundo's cheating and that forcing Dario to ensure Mundo kept the belt so he wouldn't run off with it, was frustrating but had to be frustrating. The payoff will be Ultima Lucha. I'll redraft my UL prediction when I get on my PC, featuring the now fairly obvious Rey/Matanza match.