Live Royal Rumble Discussion Thread - Saturday 29th January

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Moon Bird

Reaction score
Website
abandonedmemories.tumblr.com
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
If you were expecting a hour long non rumble match on the show, that ain’t on WWE bud.
I think the his point might be more that aew puts on better weekly matches for free , but I'm also personally not mad about it either

Exactly. I wasn't expecting an hour long 1 v 1 match, but nor was I expecting the WWE to insult fans intelligence that way. Fans deserve better. Maybe that's on me for giving WWE more credit than they deserve. Maybe I was expecting the biggest wrestling company in the world to put on a better show than the 2nd biggest. I mean f**k me, Zicky Dice's Outlandish Paradise was a better show in my eyes and that thing had a budget of 50 cents! Or maybe I'm just too much of a Smark...

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Nope, I'm not not used to having my a$$ f***ed weekly by an old man

I mean I don’t really know what you have to compare it to considering you haven’t watched in 20 years lmao

Swamps

Laughs At Stupid People
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
batista
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
I mean I don’t really know what you have to compare it to considering you haven’t watched in 20 years lmao

AEW, the standard answer.

• Haha
Reactions: Moon Bird

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Don't sell yourself short. You're unquestionably too much of a smark. :swamps

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
Some things I did enjoy:

Reigns vs Rollins and The Shield entrance from Rollins
Ivory in the women’s rumble
Mickie James getting a nice pop and coming out to her Impact theme music

Moon Bird

Reaction score
Website
abandonedmemories.tumblr.com
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
I mean I enjoyed from the opening right until the screwy finish. But that was enough to make me turn over and watch Antiques Roadshow instead.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
I mean I enjoyed from the opening right until the screwy finish. But that was enough to make me turn over and watch Antiques Roadshow instead.

If you’re turned off that easily then maybe you shouldn’t be a wrestling fan.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoss

Mox Girl

Resident Mox fangirl
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
SethRollins1
Favorite Wrestler
8zeSJYf
Favorite Wrestler
theshield
Favorite Wrestler
jtPFFXH
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
TBH if it's not a Rumble, then I find hour long matches too long, so I'm glad none of the non Rumble matches were that long.

I was mad about the DQ in Roman/Seth, but I think it works with the story now. Roman still hasn't beaten Seth 1 on 1 and it really got in his head and he lost his shit.

Reactions: Marty McFourth

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
I was eating at a restaurant buffet the whole time. So I apologize for bringing this up...
I always kinda find it funny how slightly overblown WWE losing money in 1995-1997 is. WWE was losing TV Revenue and merchandising money but were still faring pretty well (better than on average) against WCW in the PPV buys department.
They were losing to WCW for YEARS. It took Austin becoming so over after WrestleMania 14, to put asses in seats. To sell arenas out on a weekly basis.

The sticking point for Eric Bishoff was he beat WWF in ratings war for 83 weeks. (I forget, so sorry if I'm not making sense here, but you know what I'm talking about here.) The thing is though, WWE was burning money throughout Austin's early days, because WCW had Hogan.

When the heel turn of Hogan happened, and nWo was formed... WWF had to scramble. Thus DX was born, Bret Hart/Screwjob pushed controversy, The Rock was forming his Miami gimmick, and at the same time... this Nation of Domination stable, turned into a rivalry of the 90's.

I remember in high school, acquaintances of mine mocked Austin for the whole bridge skit. The Rock threw Austin over the bridge. This is called "word of mouth." People doing the marketing for your brand.

This is what I've been talking about.

Thing is, Austin changed WWF's fortunes in the weeks, months, years after WrestleMania 14. Mike Tyson helped.

He was so over, he was interviewed many times. Kinda like how John Cena went on other shows like Regis. This kind of thing doesn't directly sell the image, but it converts via attendance, merchandise, and to some degree... ratings. If people watch RAW, and like whatever is on TV.. you sell more of the brand. Like a cycle.

Marty McFourth

Indy Wrestling Connoisseur
Reaction score
TBH if it's not a Rumble, then I find hour long matches too long, so I'm glad none of the non Rumble matches were that long.

I was mad about the DQ in Roman/Seth, but I think it works with the story now. Roman still hasn't beaten Seth 1 on 1 and it really got in his head and he lost his shit.

I was sad the match ended that way, but it made sense the more I thought about it. Plus I liked Roman hitting Seth with the chair. I saw you were hyped over the Shield gear, I went crazy in the chat :lol

Mox Girl

Resident Mox fangirl
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
SethRollins1
Favorite Wrestler
8zeSJYf
Favorite Wrestler
theshield
Favorite Wrestler
jtPFFXH
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
I was sad the match ended that way, but it made sense the more I thought about it. Plus I liked Roman hitting Seth with the chair. I saw you were hyped over the Shield gear, I went crazy in the chat :lol
LMAO I actually let out a scream :lmao Seth is the best, and this storyline has RULED.

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Like I’ve been saying the finish to the Roman/Seth match made perfect sense to me lol. I’m glad more people are coming around.