LB presents: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Re: LB presents: The Marvel Movie News Thread

Can't be bothered to go get a link and such, but this news is pretty common knowledge now.

Big thing happened in the Marvel Movie Universe last week. After Joss Wheldon confirmed Quicksilver & Scarlett Witch for Avengers 2, Bryan Singer has now cast Quicksilver in X-Men: Days of Future Past. At the moment, there appears to be no legal issue but either Singer jumped in and royally fucked with Wheldon's plans, or Quicksilver becomes the first Marvel character to exist in two movie universes.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

Late last month, we learned that John C. Reilly had been offered a role in Marvel’s upcoming superhero film Guardians of the Galaxy. Well now it appears that Reilly will indeed be joining the Marvel universe, as Deadline reports that Reilly has officially signed on to play Ronan the Accuser in the James Gunn-helmed film. In the comics, Ronan is a member of the alien race the Kree and has been portrayed as both villainous and noble at different times. The character possesses superhuman strength and speed, and wields a long hammer-like weapon called the “Universal Weapon,â€￾ which can do considerable damage. Ronan has also been portrayed as the son of Thanos in the comics, so it’s possible that Reilly will also play a large role in future Marvel films should the studio decide to tie his character into the big baddie that was gleaned at the end of The Avengers.

Reilly joins a truly exciting ensemble for Guardians of the Galaxy that includes Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, David Bautista, Glenn Close, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, and most recently Benicio Del Toro. Production begins very soon in London in anticipation of an August 1, 2014 release date. [Update: Deadline has corrected its report to note that Reilly will be playing Rhomman Dey in the film, not Ronan the Accuser.]

John C Reilly joining Guardians I hope he does well. He mainly does comedies but I think he could be serious.

Postman Dave

Reaction score

The cast for Guardians is pretty legit, starting to overtake Captain America 2 as my most anticipated Phase 2 film.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo

John C Reilly joining Guardians I hope he does well. He mainly does comedies but I think he could be serious.

Huh?
Gangs of New York
Boogie Nights
Perfect Storm
State of Grace
Magnolia
Chicago
The Aviator

Reilly was knocking it out of the park in dramas way before he was a comedic genius.

TactMrBlack

Reaction score

Does anyone know who has the rights to the skrulls because a secret invasion story arc in the avengers movies would amazing

Postman Dave

Reaction score

Does anyone know who has the rights to the skrulls because a secret invasion story arc in the avengers movies would amazing

Fox do. They would have used them instead of the Chitauri in Avengers but because they're seen as Fantastic Four characters, Fox own the rights.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

There has been so much intrigue about The Amazing Spider-Man 2, in major part because of director Marc Webb’s steady stream of teaser photos, as well as multiple photos from the NYC sets where the film is shooting. With the amount of speculation regarding storyline, villains and even multiple love interests for Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield), some fans have been vocal in their worry that this sequel is suffering from the sort of overstuffed mania we got in Spider-Man 3.

Well now comes word that Amazing Spider-Man 2 is going to be trimming some bits from its storyline – specifically in regards to the iconic character of Mary Jane Watson, who was set to be played in reboot continuity by Shailene Woodley (The Descendants).

CBM points to an article in EW, in which Shailene Woodley outright confirms that she won’t be appearing in Amazing Spider-Man 2:

Of course I’m bummed. But I am a firm believer in everything happening for a specific reason…Based on the proposed plot, I completely understand the need for holding off on introducing [Mary Jane] until the next film.

For those who are not yet caught up, Sony has already scheduled release dates for Amazing Spider-Man 3&4, which suggests that the larger Spider-Man universe this reboot was supposed to build is in fact coming to fruition. Given that Amazing Spider-Man 2 could have some major developments for Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) and his girl Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone) – and the fact that Peter could have romantic competition in the form of Felicia Hardy/Black Cat – it is indeed understandable why the filmmakers might not want to marginalize Mary Jane’s importance to the mythos…

Shailene Woodley Mary Jane Watson Amazing Spider Man Amazing Spider Man 2: Mary Jane Wont Appear Until Amazing Spider Man 3 [Updated]

Woodley only had a bit role in the sequel, so her character being left on the cutting room floor this round isn’t the biggest loss in the world. As CBM points out, it’s yet unclear whether or not the footage of Woodley from ASM2 will be included in ASM3, or simply re-shot. However, there could be some drastic changes taking place by the end of ASM2, so Mary Jane’s entry into the story could in fact need revising.

UPDATE: Hold on, CBM has also pulled together notes from several sources all indicating that Woodley’s rising career (she’s starring in the next would-be Twilight franchise, Divergent) could move the studio to recast the role entirely. As there was division amongst fans when Woodley was first announced (the usual ‘hot or not’ bickering), there will understandably be number of people who will be glad for this second chance.

We’ll continue to keep you updated.

As it stands, the next film will see Spider-Man battling the threats of Electro (Jamie Foxx) and The Rhino (Paul Giamatti); it will include subplots involving a superhero prison (Ravencroft), Peter’s friendship with Harry Osborn (Dane DeHaan), relationship with Gwen, and the introduction of mastermind industrialist Norman Osborn (Chris Cooper). Yeah, that’s enough material without getting into the whole Mary Jane saga.

Honestly I am Happy MJ might not be in this film. I think they were treading in Character overkill mode with this one. So a wait approach is good.

Castiel

Reaction score

Agreed. They're adding characters left and right, the amount of villains is insane... it's looking chaotic, it's best to keep introducing MJ out of this one. More time for Emma Stone!

Postman Dave

Reaction score

More time for Emma Stone!

The best positive of them all!

As Cas said, there's danger of character overkill so losing one won't hurt.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

Just weeks before Comic-Con 2013, and just weeks after Iron Man 3 solidified its position among the top five grossing films of all-time, Disney and Marvel Studios are planning even further ahead than ever before. Last week Disney claimed two more release date slots for unannounced Marvel films coming in 2016 and 2017 and today they’ve officially announced that Robert Downey Jr. will continue to have a key role in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Marvel is happy to announce that – after reports of tough negotiations – Robert Downey Jr. has officially signed to return as Tony Stark aka Iron Man in both (still untitled) The Avengers 2 and The Avengers 3.

Iron Man 4 – at least at this point in time – is not part of the plan for RDJ as he aims to clear up his schedule to pursue other projects. Although Shane Black teased the idea of Iron Man 4 & 5 with Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow’s mixed responses about more installments held true and Marvel aims to focus on expanding the MCU and introducing more characters from the Marvel Comics library, beginning next year with Guardians of the Galaxy.

Tony Stark Robert Downey Jr Jericho Missile Iron Man 1 570x361 Robert Downey Jr. Signs With Marvel For The Avengers 2 & 3

Despite Marvel holding the (for negotiation purposes) position that they’d be willing to recast Tony Stark, the “I Am Iron Man” quote from the film series couldn’t be truer. Robert Downey Jr. is the poster boy for Marvel Studios’ success and replacing him would be as challenging as it would be disappointing so it was inevitable he’d return in some capacity. Joss Whedon’s praise of the actor and his admittance of having every intention of working with him again for The Avengers 2 – which begins shooting early next year – played out just as we expected and the world can breathe a sigh of relief that he’ll suit up once again when Earth’s Mightiest are forced to join forces in summer 2015.

As for the idea of cameos or guest appearances in other Phase Two and Phase Three films, don’t count on it. From the get-go, Marvel President of Production Kevin Feige made it clear that the next set of films are more standalone, and unlike in Phase One where it was important to emphasize the shared continuity and build towards the main event in The Avengers, it’s no longer necessary with the brand earning its place in pop culture.

Iron Man 3 stood entirely as its own, and while Thor: The Dark World takes place partly on Earth it may follow a similar isolated story pattern while rumor has it Captain America: The Winter Soldier is the story that will bridge The Avengers 1 & 2. After that, Marvel ventures into unexplored territory with its “twisted” space-faring adventure in Guardians of the Galaxy which is not only a standalone story as well, but features an entirely new roster of heroes and villains, leading up to The Avengers 2 and then another new character’s origin story in Ant-Man.

With the Iron Man solo series on break for the forseeable future, the timing makes sense that with Phase Three of the MCU, Ant-Man steps into take over the first chapter duties.

Now to get Don Cheadle back as Rhodey. Should he (War Machine) get a part in The Avengers sequels?

More on this story (and Ant-Man) as it develops.

Well that help Avengers out not to sure about the next installments of IM though. Would love for him to keep doing the films but at what point do you get character overload and just burn out?

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo

They def need to make sure the get some screen time for Cheadle and War Machine

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

Despice Marvel's efforts to keep the roles of certain cast members -- particularly those playing the villains -- in Guardians of the Galaxy secret, word is out on who those may be.

According to a "solid source" Den of Geek (via Bleedingcool) spoke to, Benicio del Toro, who is rumored to be playing the Collector, is indeed playing that character.

As one of the earliest beings in the universe, the Collector, aka Taneleer Tivan, is extremely powerful and has taken up collecting things, be they living creatures or inanimate objects, to keep himself sane. He foresaw the rise of Thanos as a threat to the Elders of the Universe, a group the Collector is affiliated with.

Del Toro is signed to multiple movies, so expect the Collector to pop up from time to time in other Marvel movies. Ophelia Lovibond is rumored to be playing the Collector's aide.

Lee Pace, who is playing the main villain, is said to be Ronan the Accuser. In the comics, Ronan becomes a good guy over time. Like Thor, he carries a mean hammer.

Doctor Who's Karen Gillan is playing Nebula, a space pirate who claims to be the granddaughter of Thanos. Let's just say Thanos won't take kindly to that claim.

A full cast announcement is expected at Comic-Con, so stay tuned.

I am more interested now that Karen Gillan is in this too.

Postman Dave

Reaction score

More Comic Con news, this time from Marvel. Avengers 2 has an official title:

age_of_ultron_625.jpg

Well that's a bit of a curve ball. I wonder where Thanos comes into all this now. Guardians Of The Galaxy perhaps?

Anyway, Ultron's reveal is a big one, as he was created by Henry Pym aka Ant-Man. With Ant-Man's solo film scheduled for after Avengers 2, this may be our earliest hint that he may appear sooner.

Castiel

Reaction score

Thano has to be Guardians now.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

Jeremy Renner first went into Marvel to chat with his friend Zak Penn who at the time was working on The Avengers film script. He initially went in for Captain America but ended up discussing the Hawkeye character. Two years later, Renner walked out on the stage of Hall H along with the rest of the cast of The Avengers in the San Diego Convention Center at Comic-Con 2010. Earth’s Mightiest had found their archer.

When Whedon was hired by Marvel Studios to rewrite and direct The Avengers, he changed the script significantly and altered Hawkeye’s role. As fans know, outside of his markmanskip skills the character of Clint Barton was nonexistent and as Renner put it, it wasn’t the Hawkeye he “signed on to play.” In the sequel, The Avengers: Age of Ultron, Renner will have his chance to shine.

The witty and lone wolf Clint Barton personality from Marvel Comics was written out of the film, replaced by zombie Hawkeye who in the film’s opening becomes a mindless minion of Loki. Just in time for the final set piece Battle of New York, Hawkeye returns to form. Renner said the following about his role:

“At the end of the day, 90% of the movie, I’m not the character I signed on to play. I’m literally in there for two minutes, and then all of a sudden… All I could really work on was the physical part of it all, because that didn’t change. That was just the biggest challenge to overcome in playing the guy. Also, we’re pretty much introducing a new superhero character to everyone in a movie where there’s a thousand superheroes. So there’s not a lot of back story or understanding we can really tell about who Clint Barton is, or Hawkeye, and is he working for SHIELD or not. There’s a lot of unanswered questions, even for me. And I was OK with that. At least I was still in the movie. And I was glad for that. The closest thing I could really link to was Scarlett [Johansson's] character, Black Widow, because they have a history. And that definitely plays in the movie, I think. And obviously, you can’t go into too much just because there’s so much story to tell, but you definitely get a sense that they’re connected, and that there’s something really, really important that ties them together. And I could try to summarize it, but it can go a lot of places. That excites me, though, that there’s room for other things.”

Renner’s thoughts on his role in the film earned quite a few headlines and he hoped that he – along with the other Avengers stars – would have more time to explore their characters in the sequel. According to Avengers: Age of Ultron writer/director Joss Whedon at Comic-Con 2013, Hawkeye is the character he’s enjoying writing this time around.

“It’s very much a global Avengers film. A lot of the movie has to do with their place not just in America, but the world. Part of the fun for me, definitely this time around, is writing Hawkeye. He did get possessed pretty early by a bad guy and had to walk around all scowly for most of the movie so now it’s nice to actually have the character there and see him interact with the other guys.”

Whedon’s intentional namedrop of Hawkeye is for fans, Renner and anyone who’s reading Matt Fraction’s brilliant and critically acclaimed Hawkeye comic series. With The Avengers sequel promising to dig deeper into the team dynamics and put them to the test, it’s the right place for Renner to get a chance to bring Barton’s personality to the table. The question is, will we see him cameo earlier?

More Hawkeye in the sequel is great. Renner owned in that film but not as much as Hulk and Ruffalo