Heat on Flair, Done with TNA Along With Alex Shelley

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
PWInsider said:
A number of readers have asked why Ric Flair has disappeared from television and missed several TNA house shows since appearing in a Gutcheck segment on Impact Wrestling, judging Alex Silva.

Sources close to Flair and TNA have confirmed that the two sides are at a major impasse as there is a ton of heat on Flair for conduct outside the ring. It was described to me by one TNA source as, "being at the point it's not worth keeping Flair around."

There have been a number of incidents involving Flair at local establishments and bars in Orlando since coming to the company. At one point, sources indicate Flair was banned from drinking at the Hard Rock Cafe in Citiwalk due to an incident with him "acting inappropriate", according to one source, leading to venue management banishing him.

There are also stories aplenty within the company of Flair not being able to cover bar tabs and company management getting a call from the hotel and/or bar seeking payment. Most recently something similar went down at the hotel TNA utilizes for their wrestlers and staff, which the company has had a great relationship with for years, that was the final tipping point. At that point, Flair was pulled from several Louisiana house shows and the final TV Tapings before Impact Wrestling goes live on 5/31.

A similar issue led to Flair's meltdown last year on the European tour, where TNA's Craig Jenkins, after several days of fronting Flair money to cover a bar tab, refused to do so again. This led to Flair screaming at Jenkins in front of the entire crew and refusing to get on the TNA tour bus to head to the next date. Flair was left behind, missed a show and then returned to the tour the next day, apologizing to the locker room when he arrived. Publicly, Flair blamed the matter on the company not giving him "advances" like he would get when touring for WWE, citing that he was "used" to that treatment. Those comments upset people within the company because of the perception that the company "wasn't taking care of talents."

There have been a number of forces within TNA that have been against having him as a regular since he came into the company, noting that while he carries a high price tag, he hasn't translated into drawing money or ratings for the company - and now, his work in the ring isn't "Ric Flair level" anymore, but "Ric Flair level behavior" remains.

There are also some in the company that feel that Flair and WWE put them in a "no win situation" when Flair was announced for the WWE Hall of Fame, noting that the company had no choice but to allow him to go in, or else they would look like they were denying Flair and the fans. To be fair, Flair didn't know in advance he was getting inducted but he publicly told fans he would be there "on stage" before a deal was signed that would allow him to appear at Wrestlemania and the Hall of Fame.

Spike TV sources also note that there have also been a number of requests from the network end to keep Flair dressed and not have him "near nude" (i.e., in his wrestling gear) and bleeding at his age on TV.

Flair debuted for TNA on 1/4/10, the first episode of the Hulk Hogan/Eric Bischoff regime. He was made the mentor to AJ Styles and manager of Fortune with the idea of creating a modern day Four Horsemen style group. That led to Flair being part of Immortal and until the Gutcheck Judging role, he had most recently been managing Gunner and running with Eric Bischoff in their feud designed to get Garett Bischoff over.

Since departing WWE, there have been a number of issues with Flair. He signed for a number of appearances with Ring of Honor, then pulled out of them, citing his relationship with WWE (although it was more likely that he realized they weren't going to use Reid Flair following a drug arrest). When Flair didn't pay back an advance given to him, ROH filed a lawsuit against him. Flair also landed in court over money lent to him by Highspots.com and at one point, there was an order of arrest out for him if Flair did not pay the agreed settlement by a certain date. That order was issued because Flair had missed several agreed dates for payment of the settlement. The money was eventually paid and the NWA World title belt, which Highspots.com was holding as collateral, was seen displayed at WWE AXXESS this year, potentially pointing to WWE as having paid the debt and acquiring the title for their own archive.

There was word making rounds over the weekend that Flair was done with TNA, but we have not been able to confirm that.

When contacted today, TNA declined comment on the Flair matter, citing that he was still officially on their roster.

It wouldn't surprise me if he does end up leaving TNA. He clearly doesn't want to be there anymore (as he clearly stated at the HOF) and i'm sure Vince would take him back and sign him to a legends deal

Last edited by a moderator:

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Re: Heat on Flair..Done with TNA?

Well I mean really, if he's this much of a problem, then he certainly isn't worth the money they are paying him and I'm surprised they haven't let him go already. He hasn't done anything with TNA in ages. How does something like this even make it to press? Reading this, you would have thought TNA would have cut him 6 months ago.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score

Seems like a prissy bitch with that whole "I'm used to being treated like a God" comment. Sorry Ric, but you signed with a company that wasn't anywhere near the same level as WWE, you had to expect some form of cuts on your part. Honestly, how is he so in debt and doing poorly for money?

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG

Basically just seems like he went in there thinking he could take advantage of TNA thinking he could do whatever he wanted cause he is a big name in a small pond. That is pretty much why a company like them should not have as many older guys as they do because I"m sure Flair is not the only vet with that mindstate.

Isabellas2007

Reaction score

Why is it this type of problem seems to follow Flair? I mean in the WCW he had the issue and left not long after his great feuds, but in the WWE he had the same issues and now you see where he ended up at. Hopefully this is not a pattern for him because he needs to land a long term job if nothing else so he can retire happily in a few years!

DashX

Reaction score

I hope TNA does get rid of him, he hasn't increased ratings like they thought he would, and with all the hissy fits he has done since joining the company he is just not worth the money.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus

Flair could stay in Florida and relocate to Full Sail. He could be used better with the next generation of the wwe like Dusty, JR, Regal, and Steamboat are. He could also be paid better

Andy

Reaction score
Flair & Shelley Leave TNA

Wrestlezone.com said:
Exclusive: Big Update on Flair/TNA, Another TNA Star Also Done
by
Nick Paglino
May 21, 2012

According to several sources close to the situation, Ric Flair has indeed quit Impact Wrestling, and he basically just stopped showing up to events. The assumption at this point is that he's going to sign a WWE Legends deal and help fill time on the new TV network. Flair has energy drink and lottery endorsements to fall back on, too.

Additionally, WZ has learned that Alex Shelley quit TNA as well. Apparently WWE will fill extra TV time with, among other things, a Cruiserweight division and/or tag teams, and are looking for smaller wrestlers by way of stocking either, or both. While it has not been confirmed, Shelley will likely go to WWE. There has also been talk of WWE running a Cruiserweight show on the new Network, which could also be a possibility for Shelley.

Personally, I love this. I would love to see Shelley sign with TNA and be brought up to the main roster to tag with someone like Evan Bourne. A tag team like that could help to reinvigorate the division. As for Flair, well, I think he should just retire at this point, but he would definitely be a big draw if WWE were to sign him again.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Re: Flair & Shelley Leave TNA

Assuming the report is true, Glad to see TNA no longer has to deal with the burden of Flair, who hopefully will go on to do something more productive.

Alex Shelley on the other hand... I don't watch TNA and he's impressed me in the few times I've seen him. I'm sure he'll go on to do something good, even better if he's heading to WWE. And TNA will surely have enough of a fire lit under it now to take additional steps forward.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk

Flair...eh. I think it was obvious at he wanted to come back to the place where he was treated like a God. Will he get that treatment again if he comes back? I don't know. He left a lot of people with a sour taste in their mouth(me included) when he went to TNA in the first place.

I'm only interested in Shelley if Chris Sabin finds a way out of his contract and the Guns come to the WWE. I've always liked Sabin more than Shelley. How long before Alex is Superstars' mainstay?

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi

I'll laugh hysterically if this Alex Shelley news is true because TNA were waiting around forever for him and Sabin to heal so they could reform the MCMG :lmao

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk

I'll laugh hysterically if this Alex Shelley news is true because TNA were waiting around forever for him and Sabin to heal so they could reform the MCMG :lmao

It is a little humorous that they waited like a year and a half for Sabin to return only for Shelley to quit a month and a half after the team gets back together. I have a feeling Shelley quit cause they creative didn't have anything for either guy. They got a tag title match when Sabin came back, but after that I don't recall seeing them

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG

Can Joe quit too please so he can stop wasting away in TNA and come to WWE. Wanted to see how Shelley would work in WWE for quite sometime so I do hope he goes there esp with them and that crusierweight show idea.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi

Somebody posted a link in the shoutbox somewhere and inside it said that Shelley's deal had run out or was running out imminently and he choose not to resign.