Grim's Game Reviews

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
:DEAD:

Yeah, it's easily the best version, what with the randomizer, easy cheat codes, and customizable blood color (which I think I forgot to mention).
I was fully expecting the tongue lasher to jump through the window in the remake but he didnt. To this day that part still makes me jump even though I know it's coming.

tap a junk in the house

Last edited:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I actually played it on the N64 and sold it for 30 bucks 5 years later wishing I didnt since it is worth a crap ton now apparently.

tap a junk in the house

Bro N64 games can be expensive as shit now, my old roommate had one and I was gonna try and find a few games for it but I ended up saying fuck it and just got an emulator on my computer for the ones I wanted and played the cartridges he already had.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Bro N64 games can be expensive as shit now, my old roommate had one and I was gonna try and find a few games for it but I ended up saying fuck it and just got an emulator on my computer for the ones I wanted and played the cartridges he already had.
I still have a decent amount of games for mine still. Ogre battle 64, both zelda, Mario, pod racers, donkey Kong 64, goldeneye, perfect dark, and somehow I lost my copy of conkers bad fur day. Not sure where it ended up someone probably took it

tap a junk in the house

Reactions: Chris

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Oh god, don't get me started.

Simply put, now that Nintendo is doubling down on anti-ROM sentiments, we'll soon be forced to have to pay 70$+ for not even great N64 games.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Resident Evil - Code: Veronica
(BioHazard - Code: Veronica)

402702-resident-evil-code-veronica-x-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg

Original Console: SEGA DreamCast

Original Release Date: February 3, 2000

Developer: Capcom

Plot: Three months have passed since the US Government's destruction of Raccoon City, a Midwestern town home to a headquarters of Umbrella Inc. Claire Redfield, a survivor of the catastrophe, has been searching for her brother since then. Raiding an Umbrella facility in Paris, Claire is captured and taken to Umbrella's private prison island in the Southern Ocean: Rockfort Island.

Some time following her imprisonment, she is released by a severely wounded guard, Rodrigo Raval. Leaving her cell, Claire comes to discover that Rockfort Island has suffered an outbreak from the T-Virus, the same virus responsible for Raccoon City's destruction. Escaping recently undead zombies, Claire comes across a fellow prisoner, Steve Burnside. Together, they must work alongside one another to escape the island before they too fall victim to the horde of monsters. 9/10

tumblr_mb0p76zcPt1qkgl2co1_500.gif

Gameplay: Resident Evil - Code: Veronica is the fourth main-line game in the series and is fondly remembered as one of the more cinematic and best looking games for the time; having been originally released on the SEGA DreamCast, the game was faster, better looking, and with the better hardware, was capable of doing much more than it's predecessors. Unfortunately, Code: Veronica fell just short of expectations after Resident Evil 2 and 3 were masterclasses of gameplay. While improved in several departments, Code: Veronica is, for all intents and purposes, "one step forwards, two steps back."

Starting off, the 180 degree turn returns to Code: Veronica after it's introduction in Resident Evil 3: NEMESIS. From here on out, it's a standard feature in all future mainline Resident Evil games, which is great as it allows for some quick thinking and tactical maneuvering around enemies. It's arguably something the Resident Evil games needed in order to further the series, as well as the addition of auto-aim for the North American crowds.

A niche addition to Resident Evil - Code: Veronica is that of the dual-wielding pistols. I think it's a neat experiment here as Claire can wield two pistols at the same time for double the damage on enemies. Even better, if faced with two enemies from differing directions, Claire will auto-aim so both pistols face the respective enemies, allowing you to shoot down two zombies at once. I appreciate that this game was willing to experiment with new ideas and I for one love this idea and wish more Resident Evil games had adopted it. Alas, this would be the only game where you could dual-wield weapons.

tumblr_o7oecnhguu1qjztgpo1_400.gif

I think my favorite thing about this game for me is the return of Resident Evil 1 antagonist Albert Wesker in all his shady glory. This time around he's a super-powered inhuman villain. However, it's a shame that he kinda takes a backseat to two other villains, and doesn't do anything particularly antagonistic to Claire and co. He's more an obstacle and a tertiary party causing trouble for everyone involved. The main villain is in fact the selfish and psychotic Alfred Ashford, owner of the Rockfort Island prison facility and head of the Umbrella Antarctic Research Facility. In Code: Veronica X (an updated version of the Dreamcast game), Wesker gets more screentime explaining his backstory, which makes it more reasonable to search for a copy of that game, as its additions, while minor, add to the story.

There is also the addition of a Battle Mode like with the two games previous. You can choose your character, and additionally the perspective you wish to see from (Resident Evil's first experiment with first-person shooting). It's a great addition to the game but doesn't exactly set the bar in comparison to The Mercenaries from Resident Evil 3. It's something of a bonus for those who finished the game and wish to continue the Code: Veronica experience.

73d6ffa54de7a8c671b5828ed6636856.gif

With all the good things though, there are some bad to come along with it. For one thing, there's not much of a variety of enemies as compared to Resident Evil 2 & 3 (a comparison I think is arguably unfair, but it deserves mention). You have your zombies, your dogs, and your giant spiders, but of the regular enemy additions, you have zombie bats (this game's equivalent to crows), the one strech-armed Bandersnatches, and two very strange enemy types: albinoids and ants. Albinoids are essentially electric salamanders, and ants are... ants. Personally, I don't think they are very interesting and they just feel tacked on for the sake of enemy types, instead of like with 3 where they seemed like logical mutants and aberrations that would occur with a viral outbreak.

Another negative for this game would, in my opinion, be the length and constant backtracking this game suffers from. It's one of the longer classic Resident Evil games, which isn't a bad thing, necessarily. The problem though is that it's artificially longer thanks very much in part to the lack of shortcuts from segment to segment. Instead of a situation like in REmake where solving a certain puzzle unlocks a shortcut back to the central hub, or Resident Evil 2, with many ways to traverse about the police station from the central hall, Code: Veronica has no way to cut backtracking time in half. There are some puzzles that require you to go from one segment to the end of another segment, and all the way back in the exact same path.

Not to mention there's very much a sense of clear linearity to item use and puzzle design compared to Resident Evil 1. The previous games gave you choices for what to do in whatever order you wanted to. Code: Veronica puts that to bed by restricting you to very much one path of doing it. It's this design choice that leaves me slightly disappointed in Shinji Mikami and co. as they were obviously starting to shy away from the element of "choice" even beginning with Resident Evil 3. 3 still gave you choices in what to solve in what order in certain sections, however, and it had the element of replayability with many different cutscenes to quench your thirst for options. Code: Veronica leaves you with one major "option" and the most it does is allow for better weaponry for later in the game, and that's just sad. I was very much expecting more from Capcom, but they dropped the ball on this one.

15307962302316571.gif

I think the biggest problem with Resident Evil - Code: Veronica, if we're being honest, is the difficulty. It's the hardest classic Resident Evil game of the series and a lot of it has to do with the toughness and amount of enemies, as well as absurdity of the puzzles. Those dual wield pistols I talked about earlier? They don't have any ammo to replenish with. You are stuck with what you have, so it becomes a more strategic thought process on when you want to use up your precious dual wield guns. Then there's the boss difficulty. It's hard enough having to deal with incredibly tough bosses, but there are certain points in the game where you can be locked out from stocking up on ammunition for the fight, leading to having to actually restart the game despite your save. Then there's the locations of the boss fights; if you are pushed by an enemy far enough, you can actually fall to your death, which is a legitimate gripe I have with the game. You have to sacrifice space from a boss (the one thing that kept you safe in previous games) just so you aren't killed instantly by being knocked back. I hate it, absolutely hate it.

As I said earlier, Resident Evil - Code: Veronica is a case of "one step forward, two steps back". While there are neat ideas here, they failed to live up to the expectations set by previous games and failed to truly move the bar as each game previous had. That said, I wouldn't call this a failure at all. It's still classic Resident Evil action in all it's glory. Battle Mode is a welcome addition, and I still had fun with it at the end of the day. 7/10

giphy.gif

Visuals: When coming from the PlayStation to the Dreamcast, I was excited to see the upgrade in visual fidelity from the previous games. The Dreamcast was a vastly superior system to the PlayStation, and could handle software at a more manageable rate; this allowed for Code: Veronica to really strut it's stuff, and for 2000, these are absolutely stunning visuals for the time. Gone are the days of pre-rendered backgrounds too; every setting is produced in real-time 3D resolution. Unfortunately, it would not be until the Resident Evil: Outbreak series, that we would come to a return of this form. It's still one of the best looking Resident Evil games in the early days of the series, and with X ported to many newer systems, looks even better today. 10/10

ec925a34f06257c965a07a010887863569b22695_hq.gif

Audio: Sadly, even with the increase in visual fidelity, Capcom failed in one of the biggest departments for Code: Veronica, and that was the audio. The voice acting took a step back in regards to Steve and Alfred's voice actors. Claire, Chris, and Wesker all put in very serviceable performances but the insanity and camp of the former party took away from the experience of a serious horror thriller. They aren't Resident Evil 1 level bad or hilarious, they are just sub-par. The music was also a bit of a let down. Gone were the memorable and ambient filled pieces of the first three games. What we received was an orchestral menagerie of very few memorable songs interspersed with many forgettable pieces. The save theme was naturally outstanding, as with all games in the series, but after that, it becomes hard to remember any song that really stuck out to me. 6/10

TL/DR Summary: Resident Evil - Code: Veronica is a perfectly fine Resident Evil game, even a top 10 game in the series. However, they are several problems that keep it from being the masterpiece it should have been. It's unfortunate that after two incredible games in the series, that Code: Veronica would be the one to fail to impress as much as people said it would. It's a fan favorite for a lot of reasons, and I can totally see where they're coming from. I just don't agree with their arguments. For me, it's a fun Resident Evil game, but nowhere near as good as it's two predecessors.

Final Grade: 8/10

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Those graphics do look crazy good for that time period

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Those graphics do look crazy good for that time period
The Dreamcast was an incredible little machine. It was Arcade graphics quality and had an amazing line up of stellar looking games. It's a damn shame SEGA's out of the console business, but the Dreamcast was as great a finale as a console can get.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
The Dreamcast was an incredible little machine. It was Arcade graphics quality and had an amazing line up of stellar looking games. It's a damn shame SEGA's out of the console business, but the Dreamcast was as great a finale as a console can get.

Was way ahead of its time, the people weren't ready for it

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Was way ahead of its time, the people weren't ready for it
People weren't ready for it, and coupled with the horrible sales of the SEGA Saturn and the upcoming release of the PlayStation 2 the next year, people weren't really willing to shell out money for it, which is a damn shame. Maybe if it had been given a proper chance, the Dreamcast could have outsold the PS2.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
C:V X was one of the first games I can remember buying from GameStop to get one of those pre-order bonsuses.

Came with the Wesker files. Brings me back.

I didn't own a Dreamcast until it was basically dead, but man was it a great machine. Almost on par with the Cube. Shame Sega caved.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Resident Evil: Survivor
(BioHazard Gun Survivor)

RE_Survivor_front.jpg

Original Console: PlayStation

Original Release Date: January 27, 2000

Plot: One month after the destruction of Raccoon City at the hands of the U.S. Government, an Umbrella-owned island located in Europe, Sheena Island, is infested with a T-Virus outbreak. A helicopter seems to make its escape from the island when a man hanging on to the landing skids shoots at the pilot, causing the helicopter to crash. The pilot manages to escape the wreckage alive, but dazed. He realizes he is suffering from amnesia and quickly looks to work around his surroundings for anything that could give him a clue as to who he is, as well as how to escape the doomed isle of the dead. 5/10

6e807e56e0753c687614f220c4e2ad6ec15500d8r1-418-314_hq.gif

Gameplay: Resident Evil: Survivor is a guilty pleasure of mine. I will tell you right off the bat that Survivor is for all intents and purposes, a cash grab and an experiment at something new, but fails so spectacularly that it just barely edges into the "So Bad it's Good" territory, like Clock Tower 2: The Struggle Within. The biggest attraction to this game was that it would "revolutionize" the Resident Evil genre as a whole by bringing first person shooting to the series. I admit, I genuinely enjoy the aspect of a proper first person shooter game the ilk of Umbrella Chronicles or Darkside Chronicles (i.e. on-rails shooters), but for an experimental game, this wasn't the worst attempt at it.

First things first is that the tank controls are no longer confusing with the first person control, so if you're looking to introduce someone to the Resident Evil series with a not-so "confusing" game, this is the one to go for. Secondly, your pistol has unlimited ammo, which does make the game somewhat easier, but it was already an easy game to begin with. Other weapons however do require ammo, allowing for a bit of strategy: When big enemies arrive, do you waste your ammo on them, or do you wait until the final boss?

The most interesting addition to this game is the branching path. While they all very much lead to the same place, it adds a lot of variety for the game and a bit of replayability for those looking to find all the documents or weapons (such as the 3 exclusive pistol types, depending on which path you go for). Right away you're giving a hefty choice between a movie theater, a restaurant, and a church to explore, and it goes further along the way for more choices. I like the idea they did here and wish more Resident Evil games had branching paths the way Survivor does.

34b71e305f442c649cb2a07220ef5189.gif

The major negatives regarding Resident Evil: Survivor become apparent nearly right away. It's an incredibly short and easy game. Enemies don't do nearly as much damage as they should and it's actually something of a breeze killing all the enemies. For example, Mr. X, the second big boss from Resident Evil 2, appears in large numbers throughout the game and is incredibly easy to put down even with the pistol as long as you have enough distance.

The second negative is the lack of saving. The game is incredibly short and doesn't require saving of any kind due to the easiness of the gameplay. Unfortunately, what that also does is remove the penalty for dying, as now you have the traditional "lives" in case you die. It lessens the potential experience this game could have had with a much longer game with saving being a requirement. Instead, it's a relatively short experience that can be finished in a matter of 2 hours or so, as compared to the original trilogy's 4 or so hours.

The final negative is truly the lack of any real enemy variety. Aside from the Gravedigger Unit (Umbrella's own BOW Cleanup Crew), and the Hypnos T-Type (the final boss), almost every enemy was recycled from Resident Evil 2 & 3. It sucks when you enter a room filled with zombies and it's literally one of four flavors of zed. Hunters and Lickers return here as well, which are nice and all, if they weren't so hard.

So with all that said, I can firmly state that the gameplay isn't exactly the reason this game falls on it's face. It's short, easy, and at times not very engaging, but it had good ideas that just needed more fleshing out. No, no, we'll get to the reason this game falls into the "So Bad It's Good" territory. 7/10

tumblr_nm3pnijs401r7sijxo1_400.gif

Visuals: Now I understand that I did these reviews a little out of order (with Code: Veronica coming out literally a week after this game), but honestly, even without Code: Veronica as a comparison (it would have been a bad one too, since that came out on a more powerful system), Survivor's visuals are awful. Some of the worst the series has to offer. The cutscenes are made with in-game assets but the visual fidelity is choppy and many of the assets are recycled from Resident Evil 2. As I said earlier in the review, there are like four flavors of zombie and all of them come from RE2. Not to mention the real lack of interesting locations bar an exempt few and you have a very dull looking game. 5/10

tumblr_pdojwoOZSi1w1qchqo1_400.gif

Audio: Here we are, the reason this game treads into "So Bad It's Good" territory, and it all comes down to one thing: The voice-acting. It is so laughably bad, so hilariously over-the-top, and so wildly campy that it is just a roller coaster of hilarity. No joke, just try to listen to this scene with a straight face.

I just can't. I'm not one for comedy in my reviews, but that is some Uwe Boll level delivery there. I love it, and I love it in just how awful it is. It's the kind of thing that makes me love this game so much, for just how awful stuff like that is. It's somehow worse than the original Resident Evil, so take that for what it's worth.

But do you want to know the biggest crime about this game? How incredible and atmospheric the game's music actually is. It's genuinely one of the best soundtracks in the entire series but it's completely marred by the monotonous gameplay and absolutely God-awful voice acting. If the game had no voice-acting, I genuinely think the game would have likely been better received by the public at large. It's a crime for such an unheralded soundtrack to be this good and so disproportionately better than everything else. 5/10

TL/DR Summary: So while Resident Evil: Survivor isn't the worst attempt at the first person Resident Evil, there was a lot more that Capcom should have done to guarantee its success. It's at this point in the series, after four years and 5 games, that Resident Evil games failed to further the series more after NEMESIS proved that a more action-oriented Resident Evil can be resoundingly successful if given proper care. Survivor is just one of those "So Bad It's Good" kind of games.

Final Grade: 5.5/10

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Resident Evil Zero
(BioHazard Zero)

51ZMJX9J7XL.jpg

Original Console: Nintendo GameCube

Original Release Date: November 12, 2002

Plot: July 23rd, 1998: A train travels through the backdrop of the Arklay Mountains. The Umbrella Inc. operated Ecliptic Express traverses through the night. The Express is attacked by T-Virus infected leeches and all aboard are slaughtered or infected from the virus itself; the train is grinded to a halt and no longer moving, stuck in Arklay Forest. During the same period of time, S.T.A.R.S. Bravo Team flies into the forested mountains by helicopter, investigating a series of gruesome and cannibalistic murders on the outskirts of the Midwestern Raccoon City. Their helicopter is forced to make an emergency landing after an operating failure, and Bravo Team decides to investigate the region, leaving behind Raccoon Police Department pilot Kevin Dooley to man the repairs.

Rookie S.T.A.R.S. operative Rebecca Chambers and co. discover a crashed military jeep with deceased occupants nearby. After further investigation, Bravo Team discovers the jeep had been transporting recently court-martialed 2nd Lieutenant Billy Coen, who was sentenced to death and was on the move to Regathon Base for execution. Splitting up from the rest of the group, Rebecca discovers the Ecliptic Express and against better judgement, decides to investigate the interior of the train for Billy Coen. She discovers the trains occupants have recently risen from the dead, and eventually, Rebecca comes to find Billy Coen, who is less than willing to listen to Rebecca. Together though, they must find a way to survive through the nightmare the two are going through. 9/10

tumblr_o17uk7pEGs1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Gameplay: Following the release of the REmake in March, Zero had quite a bit of expectation to follow the masterpiece. However, Zero serves as a sort of marked evolutionary side-step to the Resident Evil series and would legitimately serve as the background for future games such as Resident Evil 5, 6, and the Revelations series. The biggest difference between this game and every other one before it is the utilization of the partner system, which would inspire the rest of the series bar Resident Evil 4. You control both Billy and Rebecca at the same time, much in the same way the later games would work, and you are able to switch between them at the press of a button, as well as being able to direct the AI with the GameCube's C-stick.

Rebecca and Billy are also unique in their own personal abilities; much like Jill and Chris from the first game, they play differently to each other. For example, Rebecca has the ability to mix herbs together; Billy on the other hand cannot, but he can move heavy objects around that Rebecca can't. They can also split from each other allowing for both characters to be on two completely opposite sides of the map if you so choose; there are some scenarios that do force the two to be separated from one another for key game events. For 2002, it was a revolution in the Resident Evil series.

tumblr_p04hd9G6P11t66aclo1_400.gif

There's also an interesting variety of enemies in comparison to some of the earlier games we've talked about. For example is the introduction of the leech monsters, that serve as a sort of hive mind and when defeated explode. We also have the Eliminators, an experiment involving apes and the T-Virus. Then we have the Plague Crawlers and Lurkers. Plague Crawlers are grasshopper-like monstrosities and Lurkers are giant frog BOWs that have the ability to disarm and kill you in one fell swoop. There's also the usual menagerie of enemies: zombies, Cerberus, giant spiders, crows, etc.

Perhaps the biggest point of contention in regards to Resident Evil 0 was the idea to remove item boxes. Now, in 2019 it may not seem like a huge revelation that item boxes are a tad outdated, but in 2002 it could easily be considered heresy for the series. To counteract the lack of item boxes, Resident Evil 0 allowed players to leave any item they have in their inventory strewn about on the ground so that they could come back to it if they needed to. While an interesting idea, I think it should have been thought out a little further, as you're only given 12 inventory slots to work with, and some weapons take up two. It seems at times it wasn't implemented well at all and it's one of the biggest gripes people have with the game overall. It could be a whole hell of a lot worse

I think the other negative that a lot of people have with the game is that it peaks incredibly early. The entire train segment is a fantastic piece of the game all the way through, and I think people just never felt the spark following it. Personally, I think the Umbrella Training Facility is the peak of the game with its atmosphere, music, and general pacing, but the Train is definitely a close second for me. I think the segments after the Training Facility are very good as well, if we're honest with each other.

source.gif

If you're also playing the updated Remaster for some of the newer systems, you'll also get a chance to come across this gem: Wesker Mode! In this mode, you play as Rebecca and Wesker, playing out the game much the same way from the campaign, but with a twist. Wesker is super-powered in this mode and absolutely destroys everything in his path thanks to his special abilities. It's one of those fun extra modes to play after you finish the game if you haven't had your fill of it.

With all that in mind, I don't think it deserves as much as the polarizing opinions as it gets. It's a perfectly acceptable Resident Evil game for the next generation and it introduces a concept that would become a mainstay of the series for the next 13 years. It's not that hard to respect a legacy like that. 8/10

M6Ne.gif

Visuals: For 2002, these visuals are just on par with the REmake in terms of flair and fidelity. The settings are all great and they evoke a very worn exterior with creepiness abound in them. The character models are all spectacular just like in REmake, and Rebecca is just the cutest person ever. The monster designs are all incredible as well, all a sort of Lovecraftian horror from Umbrella's early days. I think to get the best idea of how amazing the visuals are, look no further than the Train segment and see that even the pre-rendered backgrounds are stunning. 10/10

resident-evil-0-hd-remaster-rebecca-hears-zombies.gif

Audio: The voice acting is improved upon here and is no longer laughably horrible like in Survivor or inconsistent like in Code: Veronica. I enjoy the banter between Rebecca and Billy as they continue to grow closer, it seems genuine as far as I'm concerned. Then we have the music, which continues to be on point for the series. They are wildly atmospheric and incredibly creepy, and there's even opera that somehow works for the game as the calling card for the main villain. Some of these tunes are just fantastic. 8/10

TL/DR Summary: Overall, while it's not the longest of Resident Evil games (in fact it's on the shorter side), it has enough positives to make it worth playing if you're willing to overlook the one glaring flaw (item pickups) of it. With some fantastic visuals and incredible audio to boot, this is perhaps one of the more unheralded games in the series that is finally getting the respect it deserves since coming out on the newer systems.

Final Grade: 9/10

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
It's been awhile since I've played this one. The visuals look stunning. The GameCube ones always did.

I can't recall enjoying it as much as you, but it's been legit ages. I want to say 9 is a bit too high, but I can't say for sure.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Had a Game cube, stopped using it and sold it after a week of using it....contollers were garbage and weirdly shaped and the mini discs were antiquated when the other consoles could play cds and dvds.