General Comic Book Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
I seriously need some Chicago connections. Tickets go on sale Saturday at noon CT online for the CM Punk portion of the Punk and Jason Aaron Thor annual signing being done at Challengers next month. Tickets are only $5 each, which covers the cost of the comic ticket purchasers get free and allows them to get up to 5 items signed free. Lucky bastards. No tickets required for the Aaron portion, however. So yeah .... you guys know anyone in Chicago who could hook a chick up? :haha:

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
So Mike Grell did an event/appearance at my favorite, semi-local comic shop yesterday. He ended up actually going there again this afternoon. AND while there today he taught a local Girl Scout troop an art class. Pretty awesome.

KITT

The Artiste
Reaction score
So I just bought the Marvel Unlimited subscription last week. I am catching up on about 15 years of comics. It's a lot of fun. Planet Hulk, Civil War, World War Hulk, and Siege yesterday. Read the first 9 issues of the new Daredevil run. I'm going to absorb it all like my name was Creel.

KITT

The Artiste
Reaction score
A v X was great. I'm jumping all around timeline wise. I'm going to catch up on Secret Avengers since I saw COULSON is in it!!

I read the first issue of the new Magneto. Very cool.

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
Just finished issue 4 of Men of Wrath. Still loving it and kind of hate to see it end with the next issue. Aaron is such a masterful storyteller, and every time I crack open an issue I'm completely drawn into it. It was cool to hear more from Ruben's dad, learn what happened to his mom, and to have that cliffhanger at the end. Should be interesting to see what happens with the next issue. I continue to enjoy the southern dialect, and having my email included in the "Mail of Wrath" for this issue just added a nice touch to it and made me even more excited like the kid I am. Great story and art all around to make it a fantastic read through the series.

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
Read The Dying and the Dead #1 tonight, and I am very intrigued by this new series. I really liked that it was a double-length comic so readers could delve deeper into Hickman's story right off the bat, without feeling lost or not having things expounded upon too well. I also enjoyed how the comic started off pretty nice and sweet, almost romantic like, before it hit us with reality again -- yet all the while the overall story maintains that underlying bit of sweetness concerning a man and his wife (avoiding spoilers). Very interesting story which I thoroughly enjoyed and am looking forward to seeing where Hickman takes us as things unfold. Also, for what it's worth, I really dig the art style used in this one. Kudos all the way around.

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
Reaction score
Introducing A-Force... an all female Avengers team coming soon to a comic book store near you!

c9b54c74f7fc60056d0f6a706700a3dd.jpg

Trip in the Head

Jester of Darkness
Reaction score
Introducing A-Force... an all female Avengers team coming soon to a comic book store near you!

c9b54c74f7fc60056d0f6a706700a3dd.jpg
I saw that shit. Kind of going a little over the top with the whole "girls in comics" issue, but whatever.

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
Reaction score
So, the Thor Annual featuring CM Punk's comic writing debut is released this coming Wednesday. He will be one of 3 or 4 writers on the project, each writing their own short story, his story will be less than 10 pages long and consists of Thor participating in an Ale drinking contest.

Anybody who wants the link on Wednesday just reply here that you would like it.

Reactions: Trip in the Head

KITT

The Artiste
Reaction score
So I've always read comics, but it was difficult for many years to afford them. That has all changed as I've had the Marvel Unlimited app for a couple months now. I'm getting up to speed in fairly short order. The first week I read House of M, World War Hulk, Siege, Secret Invasion... on and on... AvX.... I don't know. Basically I've read every major comic event from House of M until Infinity which I just finished. Not all of Original Sin is on the app yet, so I'm waiting on that until I can read it all. I did read the first issue though. The Watcher's death really fucks with me. He's basically one of the only real innocents in the entire Marvel Universe. He never gets into shit with anyone, he just watches. So for someone to blow his brains out and remove his fuckin' eyeballs... that is messed up!

Hmmm what else do I love lately... I'm jumping all over. As far as 2014 stuff, I'm very big on Nathan Edmondson's Black Widow and Punisher. LOVED Warren Ellis' 6 issues on Moon Knight. I need more of that. Joe Mad doing art for Inhumans is great. His style always has a special place in my fanboy's heart due to Age of Apocalypse back in the day. The new Daredevil is nice. I think they went as dark as you can go with Daredevil from what I've read. Shadowland and all that shit. Taking him out of Hell's Kitchen and adding some levity to it is a breath of fresh air.

My absolute FAVORITE right now though is Secret Avengers. I love everything about it. I love the humor, the dialogue, the action, the art. I love seeing Phil Coulson in my comics. LOVE seeing Phil Coulson!! He does not lack conviction.

KITT

The Artiste
Reaction score
Oh one more thing... the way they've added Sam Jackson's/Ultimate Nick Fury into 616 is rad. He's the son of the original? That's bad ass.