General Comic Book Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
Reaction score

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
The fact that Rob Liefeld and Joe Kelly are not mentioned as being a part of this and it's happening in April make me weary of it.

Yeah, it says "...& more" but you would think they'd be named if they're going to be a part of it.

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
Reaction score
Marvel has re-released a shitload of their classic Star Wars comic books in trade paperback form ahead of the debut of the new Star Wars #1 being released this Wednesday.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Got a couple of random comic books today at the book store with my gift card, got a Howard the Duck old school one for $2 that definitely sells for $15+ if in bearable shape which it is actually.. I'll probably keep that one, got a couple of Fantastic Four comics too from the 80s if I'm not mistaken, haven't really gotten a full look at them just kind of took the older ones that were in nice condition.

Reactions: Just Kevin

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
The top 100 comic books of 2014 have been announced:

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/977?articleID=153903

Peter Parker returned as Spider-Man after a year and a half of Doctor Octopus' control of his body in Dan Slott and Ramon Perez's Amazing Spider-Man #1 from Marvel Comics, the best-selling comic book of 2014 as well as and the best-selling comic book of the last decade.

In total, Marvel Comics had nine of 2014's top ten comic books. Among the books in the top ten were Scottie Young's Rocket Raccoon #1 at #3, Charles Soule and Steve McNiven's Death of Wolverine #1 at #4, Jason Aaron and Russell Dauterman's Thor #1 at #6, Jason Aaron and Mike Deodato's Original Sin #1 at #7, and Slott and Giuseppe Camuncoli's Superior Spider-Man #31 at #10.

Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard's The Walking Dead [HASHTAG]#132[/HASHTAG] from Image Comics was also among the top ten as the year's number two book.

Among the premier publishers, the penultimate chapter of Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's "Zero Year" storyline in Batman #32 was DC Comics' best-selling comic book in 2014 at #14.

Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #1, the follow-up to Joss Whedon's film Serenity, was Dark Horse Comics' best-selling comic book at [HASHTAG]#137[/HASHTAG].

Finally, Tom Scioli and John Barber's Transformers Vs. G.I. Joe #1 from IDW Publishing was the publisher's top book in 2014 at [HASHTAG]#965[/HASHTAG].

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
And here are the top 100 graphic novels of 2014:

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/977?articleID=153904

Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples' epic sci-fi story from Image Comics, Saga Volume 3, was the best-selling graphic novel for 2014.

In total, Image Comics had nine titles in the top ten. Among the titles were three additional volumes ofSaga (Volume 1 at #2, Volume 2 at #4, and Volume 4 at #10), four volumes of Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead (Volume 20 at #3, Volume 1 at #5, Volume 21 at #6, and Volume 22 at #8), and Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky's Sex Criminals Volume 1 at #7.

Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's Batman Volume 1: The Court of Owls from DC Comics was also among the top ten at #9.

Among the premier publishers, Brian Michael Bendis, Steve McNiven, and Sara Pichelli's Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 1: Cosmic Avengers was Marvel Comics' best-selling graphic novel at #11.

Dark Horse Comics' Avatar: The Last Airbender Volume 7: Rift, Part 1, based on the hit Nickelodeon series, was the publisher's best-selling graphic novel for the year at #41.

Finally, Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez's Locke & Key Volume 6: Alpha & Omega, the final volume of the best-selling series, was IDW Publishing's top book in 2014 at #73.

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
Reaction score
The top 100 comic books of 2014 have been announced:

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/977?articleID=153903

What a surprise! Marvel and DC have the majority of the best selling comics, if this list were based on art and writing quality there would be a bunch of independents on there.. Marvel has fallen off on their quality of work, Jason Aaron is their best writer and he refuses to sign an exclusive contract with them.. That says something for sure. In the meantime DC has built up the New 52 line of comics to be much better than any Marvel title. Every since Marvel tried to copy DC's success and restarted all their series they've been on a downward slope, now they are trying to kill off their most popular characters and rebranding others to try and save face.. I feel bad for them at the moment.

Nerd rant done.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
I'm surprised there are actually a good bit of independents on either of those lists.

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
What a surprise! Marvel and DC have the majority of the best selling comics, if this list were based on art and writing quality there would be a bunch of independents on there.. Marvel has fallen off on their quality of work, Jason Aaron is their best writer and he refuses to sign an exclusive contract with them.. That says something for sure. In the meantime DC has built up the New 52 line of comics to be much better than any Marvel title. Every since Marvel tried to copy DC's success and restarted all their series they've been on a downward slope, now they are trying to kill off their most popular characters and rebranding others to try and save face.. I feel bad for them at the moment.

Nerd rant done.

I've always been more of the DC > Marvel type, even though I read my share of Marvel titles, as well. (Mostly Deadpool and Thor as of late.) But the majority of comics I read tend to be the independents. There are a few on both lists, but I wish there were a lot more. I was happy to at least see volume 6 of Locke & Key on the graphic novel list. Still though, I think part of the problem lies with people just buying comics based on characters that are easily recognizable or ones they've known for some time, rather than branching out to try some independents and discover other, new comics they'd likely enjoy just as much, if not more. Men of Wrath, Bitch Planet, Lumberjanes, Fade Out, Wytches and several others (can't think or focus well with "sick brain") are the main part of my "must read" list. I love discovering new comics that really catch my attention and make me want to come back to them, not just sticking to titles under the two big labels. Here's hoping, no matter how futile, that there are a lot more independent comics sold this year to make the list next year.

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
Reaction score
For anyone who would like to check out the new Star Wars #1.. the first issue was very good.

baba7a63bd55df0c42657c9a689cbc93.jpg

Enjoy!

Reactions: GrammarNazi82

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
So, Rob Guillory (who is illustrating CM Punk's story for the Thor Annual) tweeted an image of the Thor variant cover he did, and I just had to share it. I love his art in Chew, which this is reminiscent of. He tweeted it stating, "I did a cover for next month's Thor Annual. It is utterly ridiculous, but I love it."

2d8d23fcb8e28ee5103d2baa2630bce1._.jpg

Reactions: Trip in the Head

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
If you're a fan of Image comics, or just want to check them out, then you might want to check out the link below. You can sign up via email to receive one free issue of an Image comic from the bundle each day, and/or you can "pay what you want" to get a bunch of comics, including Walking Dead compendium one, Saga, Southern Bastards, and others. Basically if you pay $18 or more you can get the entire bundle. Either way, it's an opportunity to get a free comic via email each day for the next four days (I think), or get a ton of digital comics for cheap.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books?...il&utm_term=0_3d75263f54-51098c406a-156471709

Trip in the Head

Jester of Darkness
Reaction score
If you're a fan of Image comics, or just want to check them out, then you might want to check out the link below. You can sign up via email to receive one free issue of an Image comic from the bundle each day, and/or you can "pay what you want" to get a bunch of comics, including Walking Dead compendium one, Saga, Southern Bastards, and others. Basically if you pay $18 or more you can get the entire bundle. Either way, it's an opportunity to get a free comic via email each day for the next four days (I think), or get a ton of digital comics for cheap.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books?utm_source=Consumer Email List - imagecomics.com&utm_campaign=51098c406a-Email 011415&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3d75263f54-51098c406a-156471709
Image is cool. Lots of women with big boobs lol.

You guys hear this shit yet? Marvel is doing a sort-of-reboot-but-not-quite type thing.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/20/the-marvel-universe-is-coming-to-an-end-in-may-2015

Reactions: GrammarNazi82

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
Reaction score

You guys hear this shit yet? Marvel is doing a sort-of-reboot-but-not-quite type thing.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/20/the-marvel-universe-is-coming-to-an-end-in-may-2015

That's part of their desperation to try and catch up with creativity of the other comic publishers, Marvel is doing great in films and TV, but, in my opinion the quality of their comics has diminished quite a bit. This reboot is essentially the same thing that DC did with their New 52 line, hopefully Marvel will have the same success.

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score

Hoping it goes well, I'll be curious to see how it all plays out. I'll be trying to get the #0 issue at FCBD. As far as the teaser images released previously, which it links back to in that article, I must say the X-Men '92 cover brought back fond memories and made me feel all warm inside. Ahh, the childhood memories of watching the X-Men cartoon on Saturdays.

Reactions: Trip in the Head