El Generico to WWE?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
F4Wonline has confirmed the signing, it was first reported a day or two ago... Don't know a whole lot about the guy, other than he's been a part of ROH for some time.... What say you fellow smarks??

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
He's good because of the subtle comedy of his character, if he gets a new gimmick I'm not really sure how it would work out. He's decent in the ring, so he'd probaably be ok.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Granted I know very little about him but on the surface of things i'm kinda puzzled by his signing. As far as I know, he plays a Mexican Luchador character but is actually a ginger Canadian. I've heard his ring work is very good, but I would imagine that if the WWE wanted to sign a Luchador then they would have gone out and got a "true" luchador in that sense.

Will be interesting to see what happens when he emerges at one of the shows.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Think he's here to be Sin Cara's replacement. I'm really happy that someone in the WWE is finally taking note of the talent that Generico is.

WWE has signed El Generico to a deal, PWInsider.com confirmed this morning. As we noted several months back, the company has had interest in him and it's been Generico's goal since not signing with Ring of Honor to get into the company.

One of the reasons WWE was so interested in Generico was that he speaks a number of different languages. The feeling was that would in handy as an asset for international markets.

Generico was removed from this weekend's Pro Wrestling Guerrilla event in California and it appears may already be done on the independent scene. He returned to Ring of Honor at Final Battle 2012 in what may prove to be his last-ever match with longtime partner/rival Kevin Steen.

Generico's signing is said to be part of a bigger WWE plan as the company has a number of names on their radar that they want to lock in for deals. I am told it's a Triple H move and that there will be a lot more signings to come, as long as those the company are interested in can pass the necessary medical exams.

PWInsider

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I like him, I've only seen a few YouTube videos, but I've been impressed with what I have seen. I think it's wicked that WWE is signing more and more indy guys now. I think he'll fit right in.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
This thread is going to blow up when one of those "DEATH TO ALL INDY GUYS!" comes in here.

This is a big signing to start of the year, and they really need to keep him masked, with the same gimmick, or at least similar to his one now. He's still pretty young, being only 28, so they can even take a good year or so to finely tune him in FCW. Something they SHOULD have done with Cara.

Granted, he is a Canadian, his "pseudo" luchador style should get over with the crowd, and every kid loves buying a mask.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Great promo guy considering he's from the charisma void that is ROH.

Not looking for him to have any sort of major impact because from what I've seen he's best used as a comedy guy.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
It's a shame he's likely going to be given a different name by WWE either when he reports to FCW or if he's just going straight to the main roster. Punk will be happy I'm sure too since he's friends with Generico. Hopefully they'll let Generico be who he's been on the Indys for all these years but I highly doubt it'll happen.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
almost choked on my soda when I read Cork sort of compliment the guy...not AT ALL what I was expecting..

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
The Indies are kinda fucked if you think about it, this is a guy who if you book you know your gonna get a good match day in and day out from plus he's the ultimate good guy.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Glad to hear this.

As long as they put a mask(any mask, Generico would be stupid to allow WWE to copyright his mask) on him, and make him a face he could be a very strong addition to the roster.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Never expected to read this headline. Good that WWE are again scouring the indys to find the best talent, since that is the only place they are going to be able to find them these days. Hopefully he is given a similar gimmick in WWE because he has made it work so well on the indy circuit. I doubt that he would bypass FCW, would need time for them to find the right gimmick and tune him up for the WWE style.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I would agree that is a postive signing, the guy has a lot more range than many Luchadors, and is solid on the mic, able to play it serious as well as comedy. Big loss for ROH imo.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
He wasn't under contract to ROH, so it's not a big loss for them. It's going to be a big loss for PWG and for DGUSA & EVOLVE, since Gabe was booking him quite a lot for his 2 promotions last year.

Reaction score
Only thing I fear of this is some one getting offended by his Mexican gimmick...since he is a white Canadian. It's bound to happen.