Early Plans of John Cena and CM punk for summerslam revealed

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Okay PSYCH, just answer me these simple questions please. Don't go off on about ratings or business sense, don't name drop aload of cable networks, don't mention past superstars or past reigns.

• How on gods green earth is it Punk's fault he has no legitimate contenders to his belt? Is it his fault that guys from yesteryear are no longer around to give him credible feuds? (A simple yes or no here should suffice.)

• You seem to think sticking the title on Cena so he can make a new star is the answer to this supposed problem. Tell me, who in your opinion did Cena last make?

• If he is that good at making them and it's supposedly so easy for him to do so, why has not done so for what seems like the longest of time? Obviously The Rock feud is an exception, but surely you can see that him feuding with Kane & Big Show does nothing for either guy and is a huge waste as those guys are already made and don't need John Cena in any shape or fashion. If people pay the tickets to see Cena regardless of who is facing and he'll continue to draw ratings, why has he not elevated Alberto or Dolph or any other guy of that ilk? Instead we're left treading water with another year that's passed us by with no new legit guys being made and the older guard getting a year older.

• John Cena beats Punk and holds the title for a few months as they both battle it for the title in a series of matches in which Punk eventually wins and supposedly makes him legit in your words. Personally I don't see how this helps because once again Punk, his challengers & the WWE title will take a back seat to all Cena's feuds and everything will come off second best just like it appears now. I don't see how this in any progress at all.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Okay PSYCH, just answer me these simple questions please. Don't go off on about ratings or business sense, don't name drop aload of cable networks, don't mention past superstars or past reigns.

• How on gods green earth is it Punk's fault he has no legitimate contenders to his belt? Is it his fault that guys from yesteryear are no longer around to give him credible feuds? (A simple yes or no here should suffice.)

I'd like your take on how Jericho, Kane, D-Bry and even Miz and Alberto aren't "legitimate contender"?

Maybe the guy just doesn't market well against casual fans, who are the majority of the people who tune in to watch wrestling. Don't know why hardcore fans can't seem to grasp this aspect.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Punk having no legitimate contenders are his words, not mine.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Punk having no legitimate contenders are his words, not mine.

Didn't think the guy was one for backpeddling. Taking a page out of Bischoff book.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
@ Deezy: I said the most credible guy Punk has beaten has been since stepping away from Cena last year, has been Kane, as Kane is always believable and credible at the flip of a switch, and even then the wins over Kane have been screwy and overshadowed greatly by AJ. I said Jericho as Punks WM opponent was a a terrible choice to cement him as a win over Jeticho doesn't matter, elevate, or cement anyone because of ow he takes losses to guys like JTG and Kofi; that is why he is never a true main eventer or talked about in the same breath as the other world champs, so they should have gotten Punk better for Mania. I said that ADR isn't credible because snapping the arm of Chrisiannand Rey is cool, but he hit a wall with the way the Edge stuff went down and wasn't over anyhow. I said Bryanisnt credible because he hasn't beat anyone that matters really besides the fluke cash in, as weeks before Henry and Show were raping him as were Wade, Cody, and every mid card act on SD; then they topped it off with the 18 seconds and fact he lost to a elbow drop from Punk unlike no one eke and hasn't beat Kane either.

@ Dale
1 - Never said it was Punks fault, said that was on wwe for the guys they handed him. It wouldn't hurt for him to politic though and fog to brass and say he want x and x guy and truly press them as he reportedly has some clout now.

2 - Edge; the guy who was one of the top pillars of SD and the company. Randy as well as he and HHH all put in great time putting him over with the Age of Orton stick. I'm saying Cena can make you look good and unstoppable and it can help you even if you don't get the W as it did for Carlito and Umaga for instance, both of whom hurt their own pushes. Lashley was also hot off the match with Cena but Kristal and Hayes happened. Cena can't control how Umaga and Carlito act or behave and adhere to not bitching in public or failing drug tests, but he did his part with them. He can't control how a bigot writer and guys wife interact but he did his part with Lashley. He also helped Miz believe it or not as the whole character change came from that speech Cena gave Miz on tv and that beating, and then Miz took those words and used them as motivation to change and prove him wrong.

3 - They booked themselves in a corner with the match begin made a year ahead. Why would Cena enter the rumble or the chamber? They never thought about that and had to give him something, which was Kane. Kane going to a draw with Cena and laying him out as well as playing mind games was effective to bring him back on tv masked, and it worked to show he was serious and evil once again, which is why he was the hunter and not the hunted when he fought Randy the next month and won. As for Show, it just worked out for Show from a believability standpoint. Cena, Super Cena need 5 guys and the owner to help him beat one man, and in the grand scale it says a lot to the audience about how unstoppable Show can be when he doesn't in his own words "have to tame himself". Just like Cena needing a chain shot to the temple to put Brock out for 3 seconds, not even keep him down made Brock look like a savage that no one else could handle in the back. It's just imagery for the casuals and kids, and you should know that as we were them when Hogan steamrolled or Austin in 98 and so on, or HhH in 03 (I don't know how old you are mind you).

Cena and Alberto have barely been on Raw that long. ADR came to SD with the brand split going in fully fret. Their paths wouldn't cross. Then they did for a bit last summer/fall but he had already had a little mini thing with Truth and Miz. Then Del Rio got hurt and Cena already had Rock scheduled. It isn't like the opportunity has always been there for those two. As for Dolph, he just even started to step out this year at the rumble on his own by putting his ring work, character, and mic work together. It's always been Vickie centric for him. I think he and Cena could do a program easily, and I think Dolph could come out of it looking good despite him needing a few tweaks. Again though it's hard to put it on him when guys like Dolph and Del Rio haven't been offered as opponents for him because of their location (ADR) or their direction (Dolph) for title paths and stuff.

4 - It helps. The same way Jeff Hardy slowly was transitioned to the forefront of SD over HHH needs to be applied. Jeff was painted as getting closer, closer, that much better, learning from his mistakes, and becoming more complete. Then he hit the big one and the crowd went wild. Use that sequence for Punk. Have Cena win, then have Punk get closer and close, and then let them have a "iron man" match for example. In said match, let Punk to over clean after a 30-60 minute war. Have Cena post match shake his hand and acknowledge him like Trips did Jeff, and the crowd will say damn punk is great, including the casuals.

After that has all happened you book him right. You book the feuds like you booked Trips, Cena, Dave, Edge, and so on .... title first. Make him the champ who everyone wants to beat and the title what everyone needs to have, their drug of choice as Austin once said in 2002 when he gave his I'm a drug addict speech. Too often now the title hasn't even been at the forefront of anything Punk related. It wasn't mentioned with Jericho often, isn't mentioned now over AJ, and hasn't been in a long time which devalues his reign and run. Ask yourself how many times Jericho mentioned the belt, Bryan, Kane, the announcers? That needs to change as well on the part of creative and when it does Punks reign will mean more, and hatter having some real big wins under his belt, just putting on a good showing or stealing a win will be big when it comes to him.

It ain't all Punks fault, not even mostly, but there is a problem with what is going on and things need to be rest. Cena is a huge asset because he is the guy, and he truly gets the importance of letting a guy have a good fight in or taking the right loss at the right time. They come few and far between sure but that is the way it is supposed to be and the age old formula Trips, Taker, Austin, Rock and so on have all followed. I'm not even saying drop Punk down the card or the totem of the ladder, just reignite that fire and make people take notice and follow thru this time after a reset

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Who is out there though for Punk to say get me this guy so I can beat them? I mean doesn't exactly work that way and not exactly realistic. Punk has gotten his way on guys he wanted to feud with that are there in Rey, and i'm sure he asked for Bryan and probably Jericho but point is there is no one out there who will just come in to put over Punk. Only guy who came in and wanted to really do that was Kevin Nash but that fell apart and idk what that really would have done for Punk anyways.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I think kicking the shit out of Nash would have been more relevant than beating some of the guys he did. And I mean kicking the shit out of him. And at least Nash and him focused on him not being championship material before he failed a fucking physical and they somehow inverted the whole three person thing with them and Trips

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I think kicking the shit out of Nash would have been more relevant than beating some of the guys he did. And I mean kicking the shit out of him. And at least Nash and him focused on him not being championship material before he failed a fucking physical and they somehow inverted the whole three person thing with them and Trips

Because Miz, Del Rio, Ziggler, Jericho, Henry, and Bryan (all former world champs) are so irrelevant.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Henry kicked his ass, he only loss the match with Punk because he kicked his ass and that was his only goal

Dolph wouldn't even like to count that world title win and you know it

Beating Jerihco isn't big or valued as JTG can say that as the guy takes too many loses to the wrong people

Bryan never won a decisive match, was jobbed with the case, and got super squashed at Mania

ADR s claim to fam elite I said is beating Rey and Christian, then breaking their arm. The edge situation fucked him and he wasn't over.

At least at the time Nash was supposed to be the logical next step to Trips. He is a big guy who if Punk would have destroyed would have ande him look like a bad ass. The whole talk also was about being the champion and championship material, which no feud Punk has had since Cena has been about as Del Rio was more about Ace than the belt, Bryan and Kane is about AJ, and Jericho was about family and addiction with the title as a mere second thought and barely mentioned.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Okay, semi-valid points there, but those guys, excluding Ziggler and possibly Henry are still some of the companies bigger stars. Who would he have to be to be legitimate that's currently in the WWE? And don't just say Cena because he did that last year, clean or not, it's a victory.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Henry kicked his ass, he only loss the match with Punk because he kicked his ass and that was his only goal

Dolph wouldn't even like to count that world title win and you know it

Beating Jerihco isn't big or valued as JTG can say that as the guy takes too many loses to the wrong people

Bryan never won a decisive match, was jobbed with the case, and got super squashed at Mania

ADR s claim to fam elite I said is beating Rey and Christian, then breaking their arm. The edge situation fucked him and he wasn't over.

At least at the time Nash was supposed to be the logical next step to Trips. He is a big guy who if Punk would have destroyed would have ande him look like a bad ass. The whole talk also was about being the champion and championship material, which no feud Punk has had since Cena has been about as Del Rio was more about Ace than the belt, Bryan and Kane is about AJ, and Jericho was about family and addiction with the title as a mere second thought and barely mentioned.

The only thing I want to address is how you keep saying that Jericho is no one because he loses to people like JTG. You mean to tell me that Jericho is not of value because HE ACTUALLY PUTS PEOPLE OVER? Lets see HBK, or Triple H, or Cena, or Batista ever put someone over like that. Jericho does his best to make stars, and give them some credit by beating someone of his caliber. Thats a lot more than all the others can say.

And Jericho was, has, and always will be bigger then that joke Kevin Nash. I'm glad the Nash/Punk feud never really happened, as it would have been a total bust.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Since he is a babyface now not a tweener and has been ever since he returned with the title, it would make sense to have some clean wins. I'm talking clean over Kane, not AJ trotting out there to distract him twice to beat him. Clean over Big Show would have been nice even before the heel turn. Clean over Henry also nice after that SD push. Maybe a win over Randy as he wasn't doing nothing as he is still more credible than any guy Punk went over as well. There were choices and chances. And yeah I still say there were better choices for WM if they wanted to put him in the spotlight permanently as a top guy as they tried to make him and Jericho a Raw only built feud knowing Jericho isn't that level of a star to pull that off or draw equal focus away from Cena/Rock or HHH/Taker, so I would have liked to seen them pay that money to Dave or Brock back then personally and truly devote themselves to making him a star over going with the staus quo of hes good enough

I mean they have gave him and are giving him crap in terms of focus on people actually wanting the title or wanting to beat him to be the man. I can't think of any other wwe champion in recent times who hasn't even had a challenger talk about wanting the belt or to be champion. In retrospect, Sheamus has had some weak ass challengers but they at least mention the title and wanting to be the champion.

Its just frustrating to see. His match quality has been top notch, promos solid as he was better last summer, but the title and him as the champion are just secondary to other issues involving him not just secondary in place to Cena.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
So when Daniel Bryan says "Will I be the next WWE Champion? YES! YES! YES!" That means he doesn't want to be champion?

Same with Jericho, up until after 'Mania when they started doing the drug things, Jericho said that whoever had the title could really be called the best in the world, so he'd have to beat Punk for the title to prove it.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
The only thing I want to address is how you keep saying that Jericho is no one because he loses to people like JTG. You mean to tell me that Jericho is not of value because HE ACTUALLY PUTS PEOPLE OVER? Lets see HBK, or Triple H, or Cena, or Batista ever put someone over like that. Jericho does his best to make stars, and give them some credit by beating someone of his caliber. Thats a lot more than all the others can say.

And Jericho was, has, and always will be bigger then that joke Kevin Nash. I'm glad the Nash/Punk feud never really happened, as it would have been a total bust.
And Jerocho will never be remembered like HBk, HHH, Cena, Dave in history for total impact. And beating any of them will always mean much more for a career. It's called common sense on their part to not waste a L needlessly, it's stupid to waste them like Jericho did after they made him undisputed champ, and it is why he will never be the focus of the company. I mean what has beating him ever did for JTG, Kofi, and countless others and has it truly been monumental? A guy doesn't even get the wow response Shelton or Jeff had when they pinned Trips and it's a shame going over Jericho means nothin

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Jericho may not be remembered like HBK, HHH, or Cena (who Jericho put over huge with a PPV victory in 2002), but he sure as hell will be remembered better than Batista.