Early Plans of John Cena and CM punk for summerslam revealed

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Mr.Mayhem

Reaction score
WWE is currently planning to have John Cena face CM Punk for the WWE Championship at SummerSlam on August 19. The plan is to build the show around Punk/Cena and Brock Lesnar/Triple H.

WWE decided to go with Cena and Punk for the second year in a row because they do not want their biggest draw to be in the fourth most important match, meaning Lesnar/HHH, two world title matches and then the Cena match.

Since Summerslam is one of the biggest PPVs of the year in the major television market of Los Angeles, California, WWE wants Cena in a title match and on top of the card.

As i told you guys that it would be a good idea to let punk fued with Cena , since their last year storyline felt kinda unfinished . Looks like WWE will have Punk vs Cena at summerslam . My Opinion on this is that If Punk is suppose to lose than i hope this doesnot happens but if punk Wins then it will truly solidify him and will put him in the league of John cena and HHH . What do y'll think .

Mr.Mayhem

Reaction score
They can easily do a face vs face rivalry , it would be great and if Punk wins cleanly at summerslam . it would be even more awesome . This would truly solidify Punk as a top guy and not someone below Cena .

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Its a bad idea and the reasoning behind it is weak also, just to protect golden boy. At the end of the day if the matches are interested and promoted in the correct way the fans will buy the ppv.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Loved their feud last year and thought it ended a little too soon so I kinda like the idea of this. I say kinda because I hope the feud has a great story behind it and also don't want Cena to take the belt off of Punk unless they have a long term feud.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Was hoping for another Bryan/Punk match for Summerslam. If WWE is seriously planning on having Cena/Punk again, then Punk needs to retain. Cena doesn't need the title anymore.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I'm not upset at Cena/Punk if it's booked like it should be. Just the two of the best going so they fight over the belt. It would be like their feud last year didn't completely finish everything either... and well I don't think it really did.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
I'm totally happy with this as long as the promos leading up to the PPV are serious promos and not the cheesy/goofy one's we've been getting.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Honestly, WWE is far too reliant on Cena. I don't think he should be going for the title, and he doesn't always need to be in the top match.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
There's potential in this feud for it to go semi-shoot too which could be good. Have Punk talk about that year ago he demanded his face to be plastered across everything and even though it is he's still not being given the respect he deserves while being WWE champion where he could talk about his match placements on the card etc.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I think he should have a whole promo discussing the fact that he still hasn't gotten his face on a ice cream bar or whatever.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
There's potential in this feud for it to go semi-shoot too which could be good. Have Punk talk about that year ago he demanded his face to be plastered across everything and even though it is he's still not being given the respect he deserves while being WWE champion where he could talk about his match placements on the card etc.
This is exactly what I want them to do and why I kinda love the idea of them feuding again. Gives Punk a reason to be bitter in a sense and could make it a huge deal like they did last year.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Yes! yes! yes!

Cena can restore credibility to the title and should take it off Punk, before having a long and real main event reign that lasts to Mania where the winner of the Rumble, Rock, challenges him for it. That is what the eat title deserves after all this bs with non credible challenger after non credible challenger and a guy who isn't a made main eventer himself holding it for so long. They can finally make the damn thing matter again like it did when Cena used to hold it, HHH held it, Austin held it, and Rock held it.

Sheamus, Bryan, and Kane can be passed off at SummerSlam ... We haven't seen that before anyhow

Last edited:

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
How is Punk not a credible Superstar for it? Or Bryan for that matter? Both are extremely talented and bring some of that good old school shit some of us love to see.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Yes! yes! yes!

Cena can restore credibility to the title and should take it off Punk, before having a long and real main event reign that lasts to Mania where the winner of the Rumble, Rock, challenges him for it. That is what the eat title deserves after all this bs with non credible challenger after non credible challenger and a guy who isn't a made main eventer himself holding it for so long. They can finally make the damn thing matter again like it did when Cena used to hold it, HHH held it, Austin held it, and Rock held it.

Sheamus, Bryan, and Kane can be passed off at SummerSlam ... We haven't seen that before anyhow
Not gonna get in a all day debate about this but Punk is a made main eventer without a doubt he just isn't THE guy who is at the point where he is beyond the WWE title like Hogan was by the time them 90's came around which is why they will go out of their way to make his feud the main feud. I know Punk isn't your favorite guy in the world for whatever reason and that's fine but give the man some credit for being a guy who is now one of their main work horses to the point where they got him doing SD live shows to boost ticket sales and they actually depend him the way they depend on Cena to carry the load and whatever slack that is leftover.

Shouldn't the fact that the guys they have had Punk go against defending his title not be on his level attributed to the fact that it's a good thing that he's at that point where he could actually put someone over and it mean something? Also the fact that WWE has done a horrid job at making credible heels this year? Punk had gone way beyond the "ceiling" you gave him this time last year and you just seemed dead set against giving the man his props like you're Skip Bayless and he is LeBron or something.

Not saying Punk is some huge draw or anything but if Punk was seen as some transitionally guy like you make him out to be the title would have been off Punk long ago instead of him being on the verge of actually breaking Cena days as champion and being depended on.