Directors

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
[MENTION=2582]Ozymandias[/MENTION], [MENTION=204].Coulson.[/MENTION], and I had this conversation in the shoutbox a couple nights ago, agreeing and disagreeing about lots of directors. This isn't just a list your favorite directors thread, this is where we can discuss multiple directors and whether or not we like them and debate on which of their work was their best and worst.

Quentin Tarentino is always a big hot button since people's opinions on him are so different. I've always been a fan of his movies, they keep me entertained most of the time, usually with their ridiculousness, some of which I think he takes too far at times (killing Hitler wtf), but it's still pretty hilarious.

So discuss him and some others that you might love or hate.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I will be taking part in this thread in the future but for now I will step a side as I am bored with discussing Tarentino other than to say his first three films were good but after he lost his way big time.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I will be taking part in this thread in the future but for now I will step a side as I am bored with discussing Tarentino other than to say his first three films were good but after he lost his way big time.

What did you think of Django? I actually liked it better than Pulp Fiction

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I'll be taking part in this thread in the future I will also unmask the most overrated director of all time.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
This topic is all subjective, all depends on your tastes and will not change anyones minds about anyone mentioned, but take your pick of the usual suspects and watch this go a few pages.

All I say is "money talks" and those little gold statues are hollow sympathy prizes for movies nobody goes to see.

Than again, I don't watch oscar bait, I like comedies, action and horror films. Not going to pretend to like a David Lynch/Darren Aronofsky type over a Judd Apatow or even a Michael Bay for that matter.

All subective and depends on your taste.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I personally find Quentin to be overrated. He's had a few films I enjoyed but overall I'm not a huge fan. Jon Favreau is a fun director I enjoy. James Cameron is another great. My personal favourite is Christopher Nolan.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Did Cam'ron direct Killa Season or did he have someone else do that?

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
What did you think of Django? I actually liked it better than Pulp Fiction

I enjoyed the first hour and a bit after that it became very messy and just dragged on too long. 6/10 for me. Jackie Brown is my favourite of his films.

Think it is best if we stick to one director at a time rather than people just throwing random names out there.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
To derail this Tarentino hate, I am going to talk about some very under rated directors.

Steven Kostanski: A former Troma guy, now on Raven Banner. His full length movies include Manborg (a take on classic 80's style sci-fi action films like Terminator, Robocop and the Farcry 3: Blood Dragon game should have just been the Manborg game), and Father's Day(which brings me back to the days of the ultra gory, low budget horror flicks of the 80's). A great guy I have had multiple chances to talk to, and someone who really cares about delivering an experience for the fans of the intended genres.

The Soska Sisters: I got a chance to talk to them alongside Kostanski at the expo this year, beautiful girls with a great eye for horror. These 2 are going to make See No Evil 2, and I cannot wait to actually see it.

Schmidty

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
bobbyroode2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio2
Favorite Wrestler
bige
Favorite Wrestler
sheamus2
Michael Bay

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
To derail this Tarentino hate, I am going to talk about some very under rated directors.

Steven Kostanski: A former Troma guy, now on Raven Banner. His full length movies include Manborg (a take on classic 80's style sci-fi action films like Terminator, Robocop and the Farcry 3: Blood Dragon game should have just been the Manborg game), and Father's Day(which brings me back to the days of the ultra gory, low budget horror flicks of the 80's). A great guy I have had multiple chances to talk to, and someone who really cares about delivering an experience for the fans of the intended genres.

The Soska Sisters: I got a chance to talk to them alongside Kostanski at the expo this year, beautiful girls with a great eye for horror. These 2 are going to make See No Evil 2, and I cannot wait to actually see it.

Underrated? I bet 5% of the population have never even heard of. Can't be underrated if nobody knows who you are. By what you've listed sounds like you like the writer more than the director.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Underrated? I bet 5% of the population have never even heard of. Can't be underrated if nobody knows who you are. By what you've listed sounds like you like the writer more than the director.

But who says this thread only has to be about big name directors? Its much more interesting if we talk about a range of different ones. Also chances are in horror/trash circles they are building quite a profile.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
But who says this thread only has to be about big name directors? Its much more interesting if we talk about a range of different ones. Also chances are in horror/trash circles they are building quite a profile.

Nothing wrong with discussing them, he was just making the point that they can't be underrated when hardly anyone rates them and the people that do probably rate them highly. Underrated is one of the most misused terms ever. A Michael Bay fan might call him underrated because people don't usually rate him that high even though he's very famous. He's not overrated (despite people calling him it all the time) because everyone hates him.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with discussing them, he was just making the point that they can't be underrated when hardly anyone rates them and the people that do probably rate them highly. Underrated is one of the most misused terms ever. A Michael Bay fan might call him underrated because people don't usually rate him that high even though he's very famous. He's not overrated (despite people calling him it all the time) because everyone hates him.

Ok that's fair.

How about talking about Robert Zemeckis?

Here is a guy who really seemed to be on a roll in the 80s with great family films such the Back to the Future trilogy and Who Frammed Roger Rabbit. Then did quite well in the first part of the 90s with Death Becomes Her (underrated comic gem IMO) and the Oscar success of Forrest Gump (I liked it but maybe many people looking back didn't). Then films like Contact and What Lies Beneath got more mixed reactions and he seem to really lose his way after that with overly stylised and cynical films like The Polar Express.

Thoughts on his work? Do you still enjoy his films, if not where did it start to go wrong? Was it a mistake of his to start experimenting in other genres like thriller, Sci-Fi and Animation?