Directors

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Underrated? I bet 5% of the population have never even heard of. Can't be underrated if nobody knows who you are. By what you've listed sounds like you like the writer more than the director.

Meaning 95% have heard of them?

Anyways, now that you have heard of them (and you probably have heard The Soska Sisters get thrown around in the See No Evil sequel thread) this is a chance to find out if these up & coming directors are worth a damn. James Gunn, Trey Parker, & Matt Stone all got their start at Troma, and none of them have the ability of Steven Kostanski & his team Astron-6.

And when talking about movies that have a $1000CDN budget(like Manborg, a property that managed its own comic book, and even action figures from Good Leg Toys), writer, director, special effects manager, and editor are all the same person.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
^ Well said. Can we talk about Zemeckis now?

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
I actually liked Polar Express, and when it comes to (most) animated movies, I take my sons word over anything, since that is the target audience. But, when put alongside his 80's work like Back to the Future & Who Framed Roger Rabbit I can understand how some people felt underwhelmed with it.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Robert Zemeckis? He made Back to the Future, Roger Rabbit and Forrest Gump....he could be directing Adam Sandler movies and I would give him a free pass just on his 80s work.

Never really marked out for directors tbh, they don't make me want to watch a movie, usually if a trailer looks good and it stars someone I know from movies I liked, I'll be interested.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Meaning 95% have heard of them

:trips: Touche.

But you talk about those movies and nobody knows what your talking about. I've been in the See No Evil thread and still don't know about the whoever sisters (I already don't remember and can't be bothered to scroll back up). At this point knowing the list of work I'd probably claim Micheal Bay and fuck even Tarintino as better directors than them. Just a guess. Maybe on a really boring day I'll give one of them a watch. Throwing Gunn Parker and Stone in their didn't do shit to persuade me to watch them that's for sure.

Zemeckis was pretty wonderful. I'd call him under rated.

Some of my favorites.
Scorsese
Spielberg
Scott
Scott
Mendes

My list could go on but those are probably top five at the moment my list of favorites is always fluctuating.

Directors I dislike or think get more credit than they deserve.
Bay
Luhrmann
Tarintino

And I actually kinda think Bay gets shit on a little to much these days. Their are plenty of shit directors out there but I mean we aren't talking Uwe Boll or Paul W.S. Anderson are we?

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
After I watched Postal, I finally understood what Uwe Bohl was going for comedy wise, and the earlier movies like Blood Rayne, House of the Dead, and Alone in the Dark felt like better movies. They were never intended to be taken seriously, I honestly think he gets a little too much shit than he really deserves.

It is also good to know you judge a director before even giving any of their work a chance. You throw away Gunn, Parker and Stone when 2 have had a play on Broadway, and the other is working with Disney on the next Marvel team movie. Considering the industry today, those are major accomplishments for guys who started in the "horror/trash" as someone else called it. Kostanski shares the same roots as these 3 in Troma, and if you were to compare any of their early work, his first 2 films are miles above theirs, hell Manborg alone is better than anything I have seen from Gunn, Parker, or Stone to date.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Uwe Bol? HAHAHA! the only thing he does well is commentary, where he is just defending his movie to critics panning him. Literally heard him saying on some terrible movie he made on Darfur that he made a movie about Darfur, how can you say that was a bad movie? Like he just didn't get it.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Just to fill in some of the blanks the Soska sisters first two films were Hooker in a Dead Trunk and American Mary both of which are worth checking out. I think they have a lot of promise and no doubt when they make a kick arse See No Evil sequel someone on here will be eating Humble pie...

Actually forgot Romancing the Stone that is another of my favourite Zemeckis films. Douglas and Turner are great couple and the combination of naff romance and exciting stunts make it great fun. The sequel wasn't as good but then he didn't direct that.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
After I watched Postal, I finally understood what Uwe Bohl was going for comedy wise, and the earlier movies like Blood Rayne, House of the Dead, and Alone in the Dark felt like better movies. They were never intended to be taken seriously, I honestly think he gets a little too much shit than he really deserves.

It is also good to know you judge a director before even giving any of their work a chance. You throw away Gunn, Parker and Stone when 2 have had a play on Broadway, and the other is working with Disney on the next Marvel team movie. Considering the industry today, those are major accomplishments for guys who started in the "horror/trash" as someone else called it. Kostanski shares the same roots as these 3 in Troma, and if you were to compare any of their early work, his first 2 films are miles above theirs, hell Manborg alone is better than anything I have seen from Gunn, Parker, or Stone to date.

I've seen Gun Parker and Stone and you compared the other two to them. If you stand in shit all day you smell like it when you go home at night. YOU made the comparison I just stating based on the comparison I have no desire to watch them. Not my fault you gave a shit comparison. As far as them being on broadway anyone with name recognition can get on broadway.

Just to fill in some of the blanks the Soska sisters first two films were Hooker in a Dead Trunk and American Mary both of which are worth checking out. I think they have a lot of promise and no doubt when they make a kick arse See No Evil sequel someone on here will be eating Humble pie...

I won't be eating anything as a COMPARISON was made based on that comparison nothing motivates me to search out and see their work. I suggest people make better comparisons.

I mean hell dude that made the comparison then shredded the directors he compared them to in the next post. What makes me want to see any of the five people he mentioned? Hell what makes me think he even knows what he's talking about after that?

I feel David Fincher is often overlooked.

Last edited:

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I've seen Gun Parker and Stone and you compared the other two to them. If you stand in shit all day you smell like it when you go home at night. YOU made the comparison I just stating based on the comparison I have no desire to watch them. Not my fault you gave a shit comparison. As far as them being on broadway anyone with name recognition can get on broadway.

I won't be eating anything as a COMPARISON was made based on that comparison nothing motivates me to search out and see their work. I suggest people make better comparisons.

I mean hell dude that made the comparison then shredded the directors he compared them to in the next post. What makes me want to see any of the five people he mentioned? Hell what makes me think he even knows what he's talking about after that?

Ok I will leave the other debate for you and TGFEH.

Why do you feel Fincher is underrated? I mostly like his films, the likes of Fight Club, Se7en and Zodiac are truly great films, and Panic room is an enjoyable thriller with a good Jodie Foster performance. I was a fan of Social Network too, but he has done weak films such The Game which I don't get the love for it was poorly acted and quite boring with a dumb twist.

To me he has a high profile and seems to be considered a hot shot in Hollywood circles and among many critics and fans so I don't know if I would call him underrated.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Ok I will leave the other debate for you and TGFEH.

Why do you feel Fincher is underrated? I mostly like his films, the likes of Fight Club, Se7en and Zodiac are truly great films, and Panic room is an enjoyable thriller with a good Jodie Foster performance. I was a fan of Social Network too, but he has done weak films such The Game which I don't get the love for it was poorly acted and quite boring with a dumb twist.

To me he has a high profile and seems to be considered a hot shot in Hollywood circles and among many critics and fans so I don't know if I would call him underrated.

While people love his movies he always seems to be an after thought when these lists pop up. His names not quite out their as much as others.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score

Again, I made the comparison because it was the fairest one to make, but like you have said a director needs to be known by the majority of the population to be relevant to you, and as such your opinions are irrelevant. Remember all of the big names had to start somewhere, and where on the same level as these guys you seem to be completely against.

Samuel L. Jackson, Dennis Hopper, and Billy Bob Thorton were all surrounded by that same "shit" and I know for a fact you watch movies with at least one of them. Might aswell boycott it all because they worked for Troma, just like Gunn, Parker & Stone.

Your logic scares me.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Again, I made the comparison because it was the fairest one to make, but like you have said a director needs to be known by the majority of the population to be relevant to you, and as such your opinions are irrelevant. Remember all of the big names had to start somewhere, and where on the same level as these guys you seem to be completely against.

Samuel L. Jackson, Dennis Hopper, and Billy Bob Thorton were all surrounded by that same "shit" and I know for a fact you watch movies with at least one of them. Might aswell boycott it all because they worked for Troma, just like Gunn, Parker & Stone.

Your logic scares me.

I never said that your idiocy scares me. I said to be underrated they'd have to be known. That's not the same thing at all your unknowns can't be under rated because they aren't even rated in the first place. That's not to say they may not be good. But you compared them to three people that I don't see as good directors so based AGAIN ON YOUR COMPARISON I wouldn't go out of my way to see them. Jackson is a find actor, hopper meh, billy bob very hit and miss. The fact that they worked for Troma doesn't register for me this isn't the 40s where actors and directors are exclusive to one studio (or in this case production company) Your argument is stupid, invalid and nobody gives a shit about this movie

[video=youtube;mBHau4HeTZY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBHau4HeTZY[/video]

So quit trying to make it sound like it was made by a cinematic genious.

That is all I'm saying about your ridiculous post (any further thoughts take a look at my sandow sig). I will now have discussions with people who know what the fuck their talking about.

Last edited:

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
If you stand in shit all day you smell like it when you go home at night.

Were those not your words? By your logic, if anyone has worked with someone you consider to be shit, or started in the same company(which would be the case here), then they too must be shit. 7 degrees of separation or some shit.

You claim nobody gives a shit about Manborg, and yet they managed to get toys, and comics after the movie debuted, which is a big fucking feat for a movie that only had a $1000 budget, regardless of if you want to acknowledge it or not.

Maybe you should take advice from your own sig. because you are the one being ignorant of a movie, the idea of bringing Kostanski up was to enlighten people on a bright up and coming director with a lot of talent for telling a damned good story. I never claimed him to be a genius, which is the proper spelling btw, and purposefully compared him to names that would not oversell his abilities. Its not like I claimed he would be the next Scorsesse.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I never said that your idiocy scares me. I said to be underrated they'd have to be known. That's not the same thing at all your unknowns can't be under rated because they aren't even rated in the first place. That's not to say they may not be good. But you compared them to three people that I don't see as good directors so based AGAIN ON YOUR COMPARISON I wouldn't go out of my way to see them. Jackson is a find actor, hopper meh, billy bob very hit and miss. The fact that they worked for Troma doesn't register for me this isn't the 40s where actors and directors are exclusive to one studio (or in this case production company) Your argument is stupid, invalid and nobody gives a shit about this movie

[video=youtube;mBHau4HeTZY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBHau4HeTZY[/video]

That is all I'm saying about your ridiculous post (any further thoughts take a look at my sandow sig). I will now have discussions with people who know what the fuck their talking about.

Maybe the only reason you don't think it was made by a cinematic genious is because you are not into those kinds of films though. Also I think part of the point being made here is that many of today's most highly respected Directors did start out in horror such as Peter Jackson and Sam Remi. And they ménage to bring those horror elements to their more main stream work which many feel is what gave the Lord of the Rings and Spiderman films more edge than they would have had other wise.

Also there are different kinds of way someone can be underrated so I am more with TGFEH on this one.