Devitt = Finn Bálor

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I disagree Stop. They will still be performing night in and night out on this continent. I didn't say anything about foreign stars not being successful, here.
The most successful stars have to cater to the market first. If Devitt wants to be successful in Europe than go to Europe.
My problem isn't with Devitt, it's the name he chose. That name won't get over here. It will make him a special attraction for European fans, but he won't be known to the masses.
This statement is pretty silly. You have no way of knowing if a name won't get over or not.

Especially with Finn being one of the more popular baby names for boys going.
And that highly successful American animated show with a main character named Finn.

Last edited:

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
This statement is pretty silly. You have no way of knowing if a name won't get over or not.
Well, considering rock stars and movie stars change their names all the time, I believe there is a proven track record.
Whose Terry Bollea? Who's Jim Hellwig? Ric Fliehr? What about Virgil Runnels?
I get your deal. I don't KNOW that those names would not have gotten over, but its very idealistic simply to stick to principle.

Simply picking an easily chant-able name is selling out, in effect. Famous people have always changed their name to get over here, why should Devitt be any different?

Stopspot

Reaction score
And he did change his name. To a name that is easily recognizable and easily chantable. He'll get over because he has the talent and the tools to become over.

Also as I said earlier, you are underselling how common the name Finn is in America. Large parts of the White American population are celtic in heritage, so they will at least have some understanding of their culture and have heard it (especially in the north east). Also Finn is one of the most popular names for baby boys in English speaking countries right now according to a quick google search.

Oh and then there's that highly successful and popular animated cartoon with a main character named Finn.

He picked a good name. WWE wouldn't have greenlit it otherwise.

Stopspot

Reaction score
I just did some further research. in 2013 Finn was ranked number 250 among the 1000th most common names for baby boys in the united states alone.
He's picking a prime name. Say he has a 10-12 year run in the WWE. There's going to be a ton of kids named Finn who are possible WWE fans that see a star named the same as them.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
And he did change his name. To a name that is easily recognizable and easily chantable. He'll get over because he has the talent and the tools to become over.

Also as I said earlier, you are underselling how common the name Finn is in America. Large parts of the White American population are celtic in heritage, so they will at least have some understanding of their culture and have heard it (especially in the north east). Also Finn is one of the most popular names for baby boys in English speaking countries right now according to a quick google search.

Oh and then there's that highly successful and popular animated cartoon with a main character named Finn.

He picked a good name. WWE wouldn't have greenlit it otherwise.
I still believe you're picking straws, bro. You want your guy to get over. I want him to get over, too. The name just sucks, that's all. VERY good debate.

CM Punk2

Jobber
Reaction score
I acknowledge your take and respect your intelligence, but I almost entirely disagree.
Saying the 'American' and 'special' anything is very robotic, when I'm a human being along with nearly nearly 7 billion others.
It's almost religious to believe that kind of nonsense.

If I've misjudged you in anyway, I apologize. I'm against all forms of fascism and that's what it seems like this argument has become.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
I still believe you're picking straws, bro. You want your guy to get over. I want him to get over, too. The name just sucks, that's all. VERY good debate.

The name honestly isn't that bad, guys with worse have gotten over. Hell one of the biggest stars the world of wrestling has seen was called Hulk Hogan. Anything is possible with the correct person.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
I acknowledge your take and respect your intelligence, but I almost entirely disagree.
Saying the 'American' and 'special' anything is very robotic, when I'm a human being along with nearly nearly 7 billion others.
It's almost religious to believe that kind of nonsense.

If I've misjudged you in anyway, I apologize. I'm against all forms of fascism and that's what it seems like this argument has become.
Wow, really? How big of a tool are you?
You're blaming me for what capitalism has been accomplishing for years and years?
You all make it seem as if I'm making all this up. Celebrities have been Americanizing their names for decades.
The system works and Devitt has to figure out a way to fit in. This business is about making money.
He works for Vince McMahon, a man who doesn't care about his employees health. This is about capitalism, not fascism.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
You're blaming me for what capitalism has been accomplishing for years and years?
You all make it seem as if I'm making all this up. Celebrities have been Americanizing their names for decades.
The system works and Devitt has to figure out a way to fit in. This business is about making money.
He works for Vince McMahon, a man who doesn't care about his employees health. This is about capitalism, not fascism.
A lot of guys said Vince cares tremendously about the health of his workers.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score

You kind of lost the argument when you resorted to insults IMO. Guys who Americanise their names tend to be American / Canadian don't they?

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
The name honestly isn't that bad, guys with worse have gotten over. Hell one of the biggest stars the world of wrestling has seen was called Hulk Hogan. Anything is possible with the correct person.
I dunno. Kassius Ohno was f***ing terrible and its great he didn't actually debut with that piece of crap.
Even Bautista had to alter his name slightly. Finn Balor isn't intimidating at all, especially for a short guy approaching his mid 30's.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
I dunno. Kassius Ohno was f***ing terrible and its great he didn't actually debut with that piece of crap.
Even Bautista had to alter his name slightly. Finn Balor isn't intimidating at all, especially for a short guy approaching his mid 30's.

He did debut with it on NXT, Ohno had motivation issues for example not because of his name. Bautista was a trademark thing wasn't it? Still doesn't sound very American either way IMO. Does CM Punk sound imitating or Daniel Bryan? Also are we still taking about being Americanised or imitating now, why must a name be imitating also?

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
If we can get behind Sami Zayn and Dolph Ziggler we can get behind Finn Balor.