Devitt = Finn Bálor

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be their real names. The Shield members picked 100% perfect names despite their well known indy background.
So having an indy background means you pick bad names?

Fergal and Kenta are picking names a jacka** would pick. They're only picking names they are used to hearing each day in their homeland.

Pick names that North American's will warm to. Simple, right?
So rather than getting a name that is unique and stands out, they should be white washed? You expect a Japanese man to wrestle under a named like Bronson, or Jackson?

They both picked names that work well. Because they are easily identifiable and easily chantable. Both first and last names are two syllable, easily made into chants.

Sorry but I cannot agree that they picked names like Jackasses.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
Remember when removing the mask off of Sami Zayn was a bad idea?

I see no reason to hate on the name. If a man called Dolph Ziggler or the Miz can be world champion, then so can a man with a popular Irish first name and a last name taken from the king of the dead.
I never said Zayn removing the mask was a bad idea. It may not have been the best, but fans overreact.
Dolph Ziggler is a name north american's recognize. The Miz is a spin off the Rock.
I have no idea what Finn Balor means. Nobody does. North american's aren't going to look it up every night he performs.

Finn Balor is a jobber's name. If he wants his name to be 'Sure Death' than he should call himself Sure Death. Impossible, right? Pick a simpler name.

Stopspot

Reaction score
I never said Zayn removing the mask was a bad idea. It may not have been the best, but fans overreact.
Dolph Ziggler is a name north american's recognize. The Miz is a spin off the Rock.
I have no idea what Finn Balor means. Nobody does. North american's aren't going to look it up every night he performs.

Finn Balor is a jobber's name. If he wants his name to be 'Sure Death' than he should call himself Sure Death. Impossible, right? Pick a simpler name.
Finn Balor is not a jobber name. It's just as respectable a name as Dolph Ziggler, if not more.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score

So rather than getting a name that is unique and stands out, they should be white washed? You expect a Japanese man to wrestle under a named like Bronson, or Jackson?

They both picked names that work well. Because they are easily identifiable and easily chantable. Both first and last names are two syllable, easily made into chants.

For Devitt that is the case but Kenta has two three syllable names now right? Hi-de-o and It-am-i

I'm with you though I like the names regardless..

Stopspot

Reaction score
For Devitt that is the case but Kenta has two three syllable names now right? Hi-de-o and It-am-i

I'm with you though I like the names regardless..
Still pretty easily chantable.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Any ideas on what Steen may be going by?
Nope. Ask Steen, they come up with their own names. WWE just green lights them

I guess we won't find out with him until the next set of tapings (not the ones tonight), WWE wants to spread out the debuts so each and every one gets enough time to shine. That's what the rumors say at least.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score

You misunderstood. The Shield members had good names before and they have good ones now.
Jon Moxley and Tyler Black are good names, but Leakee isn't. Stop making things complicated. This is north america.

Yes, it should be white washed. There are tons of white washed names to pick from.
The name Devitt picked is not easily identifiable here, not in this country. Kenta did slightly better, naming himself after a well known pitcher.
Kenta will eventually drop either the first or last name, but Johnny Kong would have been better.

I see why you disagree and you're entitled to it. This is north america and we're not the brightest.

Stopspot

Reaction score
You misunderstood. The Shield members had good names before and they have good ones now.
Jon Moxley and Tyler Black are good names, but Leakee isn't. Stop making things complicated. This is north america.

Yes, it should be white washed. There are tons of white washed names to pick from.
The name Devitt picked is not easily identifiable here, not in this country. Kenta did slightly better, naming himself after a well known pitcher.
Kenta will eventually drop either the first or last name, but Johnny Kong would have been better.

I see why you disagree and you're entitled to it. This is north america and we're not the brightest.
But WWE isn't just for North America, it's an international product for an international fanbase. that it isn't identifiable in North America means diddly squat since Devitt is most likely going to be geared towards the European fanbase and the Irish one in particular.
Kenta was specifically signed to help further WWE's standing in Japan.

Besides, they are signed by the WWE, who has the biggest marketing team in the industry. These guys will get over and their names will be recognizable to the masses.
Not in this continent, it won't.
Again, that means jack shit. WWE stopped being purely catered towards American fans the moment they started shipping their TV product internationally and bringing in international stars, not to mention taping their flagship show in Great Britain two times a year. If WWE was just catered towards Americans, the entire roster would be American.

If WWE signs an international talent, they will use that to further their stance in that particular area of the world.

Rogue

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Not a big fan of the name personally, but I can really get behind the meaning of it.
It doesn't have to be their real names. The Shield members picked 100% perfect names despite their well known indy background. Bray Wyatt works great, too.
Fergal and Kenta are picking names a jacka** would pick. They're only picking names they are used to hearing each day in their homeland.

Pick names that North American's will warm to. Simple, right?
Sheamus for example, picked a name that is pretty much something that is only heard in his homeland. He's basically accomplished everything in WWE bar main eventing WrestleMania, and is a very well known wrestler in America. There is no need to set limitations on someone based on the name they use even if it doesn't have your standard American-ish tone.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Let's not forget this promotion is called WORLD Wrestling Entertainment, not North America Wrestling Entertainment.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
Not a big fan of the name personally, but I can really get behind the meaning of it.

Sheamus for example, picked a name that is pretty much something that is only heard in his homeland. He's basically accomplished everything in WWE bar main eventing WrestleMania, and is a very well known wrestler in America. There is no need to set limitations on someone based on the name they use even if it doesn't have your standard American-ish tone.
Sheamus sounds like shameful. It has that spin to it, you can't deny that. It isn't as if he's set the bar as being an incredible success story. It's pulling straws.
Calling Sheamus successful is pushing it, especially if you watch WM 28 in his match against a heel Daniel Bryan.

I disagree Stop. They will still be performing night in and night out on this continent. I didn't say anything about foreign stars not being successful, here.
The most successful stars have to cater to the market first. If Devitt wants to be successful in Europe than go to Europe.
My problem isn't with Devitt, it's the name he chose. That name won't get over here. It will make him a special attraction for European fans, but he won't be known to the masses.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Finn Devitt or Prince Balor would have been bad ass, but it's still cool.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
Let's not forget this promotion is called WORLD Wrestling Entertainment, not North America Wrestling Entertainment.
You emphasize world as if WWE actually emphasizes wrestling. They don't even like their talent being called wrestlers.