DBZ: Animated Movie 2013 Announced

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
F7sdG.jpg

The Dragon Ball Z 2013 movie will be the 18th movie in the Dragon Ball anime series. To date, there have been 4 Dragon Ball movies and 13 Dragon Ball Z movies. Of the 13 Dragon Ball Z, all have been spin-offs that have nothing to do with the story of Dragon Ball Z. The new 2013 movie, however, will change things. Multiple sources have informed Saiyan Island the Dragon Ball Z 2013 movie story will be a part of the Dragon Ball Z series.

The timeline is between Dragon Ball Z manga chapters 323 and 324 or 517 (or 517 and 518 when factoring in the original Dragon Ball). In other words, Dragon Ball Z 2013 will tell the story of what happens after Goku defeats Kid Buu, but before the 10 year timeskip and the 28th World Martial Arts Tournament.

The director of the Dragon Ball Z 2013 movie will be Masahiro Hosoda, who has worked on Dragon Ball Z and Naruto Shippuden episodes. Screenplay will be by Yusuke Watanabe from the live-action 20th Century Boys trilogy and Tadayoshi Yamamuro from Dragon Ball Movie 4: The Path to Power and One Piece Film Strong World will be acting as the lead animation director. Akira Toriyama, the creator of Dragon Ball Z, and his company (Bird Studio) will be deeply involved in the production of the movie.

There is a list of other companies who are also involved in the production, including Toei Animation, Fox International Productions Japan, Shueisha, Fuji TV, Bandai, and Namco Bandai Games. Dragon Ball Z 2013 (tentative title) will be released in Japanese theaters on March 30, 2013. No word for a North American or European release at this time.

0c73e254.jpg

This will be the first special Toriyama the original creator of DB and DBZ had full control of since the Kid Buu saga. It shall also be cannon and fill the gap between Buu and the EOZ. Funi and the other groups will likely dub it. I thought it would be cool to pass along since this is big being Toriyama himself doing it and they released the character designs for the main 7 Z fighters

Heres the official site that just launched - http://dragonball2013.com/

Last edited:

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
North America...needs...this. DBZ was a always will be my favorite show. And I'm so glad they're making this, and it seems to be a big deal. If this goes to theaters in the US I may just flip out. I think it would be a pretty good draw too.

Is it 2013 yet?

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
This sounds very promising but kinda worrying that there is now word if NA will get this.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Funimation is involved in this production. They weren't for Episode of Bardock or Yo Son Goku and His Friends. Toriyama also was merely consulted for those productions, which much like GT were largely Toei based. This is all written by the creator like the original 2 series and original 13 movies. He said he wanted it to be special and not thrown together as production began today. I assume it shall be dubbed by Funi for the States and Ocean for everywhere else. It should be really cool and tie up something's like the birth of Pan and Bulla

He also said that he didn't want DBZ to be presented in cgi and would be doing the animation, which really made me happy looking at the new turtles preview

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Just thought I would add it been over 15 years since Toriyama did any DB or DBZ related story

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I'm just curious as to what time period and storyline they are gonna go with.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
10 year gap between killing Kid Buu and Goku vs Uub.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Being in Canada, I will probably have to wait 5 years after the states gets it, took nearly 10 just to get the first season of GT.

But, now I am excited for the coming years. I have always wanted to know what happened there, no way there was 10 years of peace in the DB universe.

Pete

Reaction score
Bit late...the craze has passed.

Will probably still see it for old times' sake (this was easily my favourite show 15+ years ago). And I hope they explain how Krillin got hair, I don't think they ever did in the show. I also hope we get to see Gotenks/Gogeta and Great Saiyaman :D

:mark::mark::mark: :DBYES:

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
I agree that it's too late to capitalize on its once unbelievable popularity, but I know people will go see it simply for nostalgia. I'm in the boat as this was easily one of my favorite shows as a kid.

I always wondered what happened in that 10 time frame. I just hope the movie isn't filler. Because you have to figure anything important was either added to the end of Z or the beginning of GT.

Derrick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
samicalihan
I'm excited to see this. DBZ was one of my favorite childhood shows. Still have dozens of DBZ toys, mostly Vegeta toys, because he was one of my favorites.

The majority of the viewers will be guys in their late teens and in their early twenties, simply guys in our age (I think that the most of the active WS community is between 16 and 25), for the sake of nostalgia and our childhood obsession. If it comes to Prague, I'll definitely go see it. If not, oh well. I'll download it. But I cannot wait!

Andy

Reaction score
Just a few days ago my cousins were in town visiting and we got bored, so we used his 360 to watch Goku going SS and Gohan going SS2 again. Each was amazing, but damn, I got me so pumped for this, 'cause I had found out about it a few days beforehand. I feel like this is going to be pretty solid on all accounts. I just hope they explain what happened to Gohan's powers.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Huh? He had his powers in Movie 13 and in GT. Goku and Vegeta in the anime, not the manga, came out the Vegetto split superior to the boys because that fusion was never meant to be broken.

Anyhow here is the first trailer

[video=youtube;8GdwFBIremE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GdwFBIremE[/video]

Im a mark but it was nice to see all that new animation leading to Goku standing on the site of his and Vegetas first battle as a teaser

Last edited:

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
I'm pretty excited about this, I'm hoping Vegeta gets a shit load of TV time and gets to finally defeat someone.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
If that is how the terrain will look in this one, I have 2 things to say, Holy shit does it look amazing, and I hope the animation on top of that CG will still look as good(couldnt tell from the flashes of background when Goku was finally shown).

@Ryuzaki, I know quite a few people who were watching DB in their late teens/early 20's(back in 95 when it first aired in Canada), and will still watch Kai when its on Saturday mornings. There is a market towards people as old as 35ish.