Cult Film/Classics I Just Don't Get

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Killz

Reaction score
Sup everyone, this topic just sprung to mind.

Is there any films you guys know of that are considered cult or classics or legendary or 'must-see' films that you watched and just didn't get in to? That turned out to be no big deal or even sub standard by your reckoning? Films others love but you just don't get.

For me the biggest culprit is Pulp Fiction. People LOVE this film but I find the dialogue stilted, I hate pop culture references and the direction is utterly pretentious. I also don't like movies that sort of abuse the use of timeline jumps when they're not 100% needed (or at least not all the narrative jumps are needed you know?)

You guys got any?

Dod Draper

Reaction score
The example I'm going to use is a recent one, but; Inception. I don't understand the massive praise this film got.

Don't get me wrong, it was a fun film which was good for what it was... but not one of the ten greatest films of all time, which I've seen it ridiculously labelled recently.

It was all a little over elaborate and needless. Let's go to the dream inside the dream, which is inside the dream inside the dream, which is inside the dream inside the dream. Too many different "levels".

Avatar is a pet hate of mine. Watched it and was thoroughly bored throughout. Extremely average film which has been dubbed a masterpiece by select morons of the journalist world. Give me a break. It's not a masterpiece, it's far from it.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I was just going to post Avatar. I thought that the storyline sounded boring and it didn't seem very impressive so I was never planning on seeing it. After everyone else seeing it and giving it such high praise I saw it and was disappointed. The story is boring and extremely predictable, you could call things half an hour before they would happen. Was a waste of money seeing that film and I can't understand why people rate it so highly, the story and acting aren't outstanding at all.

Killz

Reaction score
Spot on guys. I agree fully with that Avatar assessment. At the cinema you get caught up in the hype a little and I'll admit I left saying to my girlfriend 'wow that was really cool and slick and well done!' but upon a DVD purchase I haven't sat through the whole thing again once. It's cliché, it's too long, the acting is passable but not tremendous and it's just 2/3 recycled Hollywood stories in some sort of super conglomeration. That doesn't equal a good film.

Inception was awesome, no doubt. Is it one of the best films of all time? Erm, no way. It was a great laugh, made you think a little and I like Chris Nolan as a director. Definitely worth watching so I guess I'd say it's a 'must-see' but I don't buy into the fact its one of the best ever or should make any 'best movies' list.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Those movies are not cult classics, since they were successful right out the gate, the term cult classic, pertains to the fact that a movie initially wasn't a success and gained a following after it's release on video/dvd/bluray. So movies that garnered a 100 million in theaters does not make it a cult classic, a movie like Rocky Horror Picture Show would be considered such. Or movies like The Big Lebowski and Napolean Dynamite.

Just thought I'd add this to the thread.

Killz

Reaction score
Yeah the thread title is actually cult film and/or classics. Not cult classics. I see what you're getting at deez and I understand the concept having studied Film for 3 years. Fight Club would be another modern-ish example.

So to clarify, films in this thread are classics by contemporary standards so they count ALONG WITH films like Fight Club if they're relevant, yo.

Dademo

Reaction score
Yeah Avatar is definitely one of those movies. I was thoroughly bored throughout and I was just waiting for the end, until I just couldn't take it anymore and stopped with 30 minutes left. The special effects are awesome, but just not enough to make me appeal more to the film.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Yeah don't think you can class Avaitor or Inception as Cult Movies. Thing with Avaitor is I was not expecting much, and it was pretty bad, but because of how good the 3D was, and the fact you were taken into that world for three hours, it actually wasn't as bad as I expecting. Still poor everything else about it was terrible, story, acting, it was overlong etc....