Could we be in for the swerve of all swerves??

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
Yes it's absurd that the guy who spent 20 plus years being a draw and loyal company man would let Punk, the guy who leveraged his contract to force his way up the card and into the title spotlight, over Cena who has been on the grind for the company since day one and loves wwe much more and is more likely to stick around the length of time that he, Trips, HBk, Kane, and the like have thus making the loss worth something than trusting a flake. Hell its absurd to think Kane wouldn't get a third try and he be ok with him retiring him like he retired michaels and michaels, flair long before Punk ended it

But if Taker feels this way, he wouldn't have agreed to the program in the first place... This match was in the works long before Shaemus and Orton had plans for WM, so since he has enough respect for Punk to work the match then who's to say it doesn't extend further...

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
You look at this thing from a true business perspective...

The WWE put the championship on Punk for over a year. A YEAR for God's sake in this era. And not only did absolutely nothing happen profit-wise for WWE as a result of that reign, but ratings actually decreased and he didn't attract a single mainstream viewer. It's not a knock, not a poke at his talent or ability, just stating things from a bottom line perspective. Even Punk fans can agree on this, yes?

That being said, are you as the WWE owner going to burn the Undertaker's streak on this guy? And this isn't a year-long title reign we're talking about here, this is the fucking STREAK. 20-0. You only get ONE shot at this. Vince will never have that opportunity again in his lifetime. You may even have some 5-year streaks from copycats or even a 10-year one while Vince's on a dialysis machine brooding up his last great ~SWERVE~ before he dies. But you'll never get 20-0 again.

So you look at what Punk has done, how he's paid off (even considering the creative input Punk himself has had), and finally the fact Punk has already stated he won't still be wrestling in 5 years... this is who you give that rub-of-all-rubs to?

No.

Fuck no.

I would be both shocked and pissed beyond belief if Punk ended the streak, particularly considering the current story line leading into this match that just crosses so many boundaries of taste and appropriateness that it would just be sickening if he won despite how much of a waste it would be. I'm sorry Punk fans, but that should definitely not happen.

While I certainly agree that Punk's reign didn't do anything to improve ratings or revenue, I can't put the blame completely on him. The product has been pretty stale for years and I think those drops would've happened regardless of who was champion.... My counter argument would be that if they have already put all this time and effort into building this guy, who's to say they wouldn't go one step further (yes one GIANT fucking step).... Also I completely agree with you on the storyline, no excuses for the way they've handled it, just wrong..

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
You look at this thing from a true business perspective...

The WWE put the championship on Punk for over a year. A YEAR for God's sake in this era. And not only did absolutely nothing happen profit-wise for WWE as a result of that reign, but ratings actually decreased and he didn't attract a single mainstream viewer. It's not a knock, not a poke at his talent or ability, just stating things from a bottom line perspective. Even Punk fans can agree on this, yes?

That being said, are you as the WWE owner going to burn the Undertaker's streak on this guy? And this isn't a year-long title reign we're talking about here, this is the fucking STREAK. 20-0. You only get ONE shot at this. Vince will never have that opportunity again in his lifetime. You may even have some 5-year streaks from copycats or even a 10-year one while Vince's on a dialysis machine brooding up his last great ~SWERVE~ before he dies. But you'll never get 20-0 again.

So you look at what Punk has done, how he's paid off (even considering the creative input Punk himself has had), and finally the fact Punk has already stated he won't still be wrestling in 5 years... this is who you give that rub-of-all-rubs to?

No.

Fuck no.

I would be both shocked and pissed beyond belief if Punk ended the streak, particularly considering the current story line leading into this match that just crosses so many boundaries of taste and appropriateness that it would just be sickening if he won despite how much of a waste it would be. I'm sorry Punk fans, but that should definitely not happen.
Just want to one time address this whole Punk has done nothing for WWE profit wise thing which isn't true. Also going to use this to segway into keeping this on topic. He had one of the hottest selling shirts in a while and overall is one of their better merch sellers. His DVD was a hot selling item, his comic con appearances did even better than John Cena's, also doesn't hurt that he is a piggy bank in his hometown more than anybody on the roster. No he isn't Cena or the big stars that have been in wrestling but he has been a good enough star in his own right. If he wasn't WWE would have gave up on him a long time ago which is something I don't think anyone thinks about. Also don't forget despite Punk being champ Cena was still the main guy of the show for more than half of it so if people are going to go on this not bringing in more fans thing and raising ratings thing then that means Cena the biggest star in wrestling didn't do it either.

This attitude though of this guy can't do this or that because he isn't a John Cena level star will make it to where we never will get that kind of star again. Risk have to be taken if they're going to make a name out of guys and being conservative never works. That said let me be clear before anyone jumps on my post that I don't think Punk should break Taker's streak. If it happened I wouldn't be upset about it obviously but I agree with Dale's point that Punk doesn't exactly need it given the things he already has on his resume and is probably going to retire in a few years anyways. I think if someone is going to break the streak it has to be someone it will pay off on long term for years and will be made from it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
The storyline as well means that Punk has too lose. You cant shit on Paul Bearers legacy, tell his kids one thing and do something else then have Punk win at Mania. Undertaker has to win to give this raping a real life death for profit storyline a decent ending.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Just can't see it happening this year as there isn't that momentum behind him, the fact that this feud was a relatively late addition didn't really help the build for the feud as it was a bit rushed. Punk isn't a threat to the streak this year and that isn't a knock on him, no-one outside of Cena this year could be seen as a legitimate threat to the streak. If they were to try to make it actually seem like someone will break the streak they need to plant the seeds for the feud many months in advance. They need to give it time for a younger wrestler to be built up as a legitimate threat and make it all about the streak, have their focus for months just be on the streak.

With Punk his attention was still on the WWE title a month ago and then suddenly he switched focus to Undertaker when he couldn't get that title shot. That just doesn't work and so next year, if Taker can give the go ahead early on, they need to pick his opponent early and have them talk about their focus being breaking the streak and doing what no-one else can do. Plus as others have said with the storyline that they have put together this year Undertaker simply has to win.

I am one that thinks that the streak at this stage shouldn't be broken as there just isn't any point to breaking it now. Undertaker may be one who wants to finish on a loss but have it happen at Survivor Series where it all started, not at WM.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I'd only be ok for one person to break the streak. And it's probably be a sign that he'd be about to retire also.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Yeah, I just don't see how Punk breaking the streak will help him. Mind you, I'd probably mark a little as I don't want to see the streak end at all. Why does Taker have to retire on a loss? That streak is Taker's legacy. When you think of Wrestlemania, you think of the streak. Would be a shame if they had someone who's done almost everything in WWE break the streak.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Yeah, I just don't see how Punk breaking the streak will help him. Mind you, I'd probably mark a little as I don't want to see the streak end at all. Why does Taker have to retire on a loss? That streak is Taker's legacy. When you think of Wrestlemania, you think of the streak. Would be a shame if they had someone who's done almost everything in WWE break the streak.

Because Mark is not the kind of guy who will leave without passing the torch. Its wrestling, so nothing can last forever, and why spend 22 years building up a legacy that only 1 guy will ever get a benefit from?

That being said, the guy to do that should be Ryback. He is young and getting the attention from the fans, and unless something horrible happens is a guy I can see around for years to come.

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
The streak should never be beaten. End of discussion.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Just want to one time address this whole Punk has done nothing for WWE profit wise thing which isn't true. Also going to use this to segway into keeping this on topic. He had one of the hottest selling shirts in a while and overall is one of their better merch sellers. His DVD was a hot selling item, his comic con appearances did even better than John Cena's, also doesn't hurt that he is a piggy bank in his hometown more than anybody on the roster. No he isn't Cena or the big stars that have been in wrestling but he has been a good enough star in his own right. If he wasn't WWE would have gave up on him a long time ago which is something I don't think anyone thinks about. Also don't forget despite Punk being champ Cena was still the main guy of the show for more than half of it so if people are going to go on this not bringing in more fans thing and raising ratings thing then that means Cena the biggest star in wrestling didn't do it either.

This attitude though of this guy can't do this or that because he isn't a John Cena level star will make it to where we never will get that kind of star again. Risk have to be taken if they're going to make a name out of guys and being conservative never works. That said let me be clear before anyone jumps on my post that I don't think Punk should break Taker's streak. If it happened I wouldn't be upset about it obviously but I agree with Dale's point that Punk doesn't exactly need it given the things he already has on his resume and is probably going to retire in a few years anyways. I think if someone is going to break the streak it has to be someone it will pay off on long term for years and will be made from it.
Again, not knocking what the guy's done, I just don't think he's the WWE's savior and I really doubt he will go any higher than he has already, with or without the streak. I know the ratings weren't completely his fault, but that doesn't change the fact he didn't help either, and unlike many WWE wrestlers he's actually had a ton of creative control.

But I'm seriously not knocking Punk, I'm just speaking from a strictly capitalistic perspective. For Punk, all ending the streak would do for him is give him more heat, heat he reeeeeeeally doesn't need because he already has about as much as anyone could ask for. It wouldn't further his career significantly and I really think there are other WWE wrestlers who would benefit from that rub ten fold over how much Punk would. It could be a career-defining moment for someone like Sheamus,for example, but it really wouldn't be for Punk. And the only way I could see WWE still giving that rub to Punk would be if there was any present measurable reassurance from what he's done so far to indicate that rub would carry him over into the upper echelons of wrestling megastars, but there simply isn't any and T-shirt and DVD sales aren't enough. If he was a guy that was raising Raw ratings a full point during his segments and it was undeniable that he's THE guy fans want to see every week, I wouldn't mind. Unfortunately he hasn't done that, not that anyone else has, so I think you give that rub to someone who can at least reach Punk's level off it.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Again, not knocking what the guy's done, I just don't think he's the WWE's savior and I really doubt he will go any higher than he has already, with or without the streak. I know the ratings weren't completely his fault, but that doesn't change the fact he didn't help either, and unlike many WWE wrestlers he's actually had a ton of creative control.

But I'm seriously not knocking Punk, I'm just speaking from a strictly capitalistic perspective. For Punk, all ending the streak would do for him is give him more heat, heat he reeeeeeeally doesn't need because he already has about as much as anyone could ask for. It wouldn't further his career significantly and I really think there are other WWE wrestlers who would benefit from that rub ten fold over how much Punk would. It could be a career-defining moment for someone like Sheamus,for example, but it really wouldn't be for Punk. And the only way I could see WWE still giving that rub to Punk would be if there was any present measurable reassurance from what he's done so far to indicate that rub would carry him over into the upper echelons of wrestling megastars, but there simply isn't any and T-shirt and DVD sales aren't enough. If he was a guy that was raising Raw ratings a full point during his segments and it was undeniable that he's THE guy fans want to see every week, I wouldn't mind. Unfortunately he hasn't done that, not that anyone else has, so I think you give that rub to someone who can at least reach Punk's level off it.
I actually agree with your post more than you realize lol. I pretty much said that he doesn't actually need to end the streak because he has already accomplished a lot to be a star in his own right having been the the 1B to Cena's 1A as a face and being top heel since he turned. As I said if someone broke it I would want it to be someone who could be made from it I was just addressing the whole he hasn't done any business for WWE part. If anything if he was some megastar then that would be even less reason for him to end the streak. Which is why the idea I've seen of Cena being the one to end the streak is just bad cause if Punk is at the point of not really needed to benefit from it Cena damn sure doesn't need it as he certainly is capped out as far as he can go.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I would tend to agree with this... however, if Taker does have complete control, then he doesn't and shouldn't really care if there is money in doing it or not... Guys of his stature typically get to choose who they want to have their last match with or who they'd like to rub... In HBK's case he wanted to retire with Taker at WM as he'd already spent the last few years putting guys over, Flair wanted to put HBK over (even though he certainly didn't need it)...... Is it so absurd that Taker might look at Punk as a guy who needs this to take him from star to superstar and as a guy who will do the same for another wrestler when his time comes.... i'm really just trying to play devil's advocate here as I don't agree with most of what I'm saying but we don't know what's going on in those board rooms and behind those curtains
But the part about HBK and Flair going out on losses aren't really comparable because Flair & HBK didn't have streaks to snap. I'm sure plenty of guys might say in interviews that they would love to break the streak but I wonder how many of them would accept to do so given the opportunity to do it. The amount of pressure that it would put on a guys shoulders would be incredibly hard to carry, I mean if someone is to break the streak then they need to take it and turn themselves into the next true megastar.

Also Taker should care if there is money in doing something or not given how much of a company guy he's been throughout the years. He should and probably will do what's best for the company and not himself and that is to keep the streak alive.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
But the part about HBK and Flair going out on losses aren't really comparable because Flair & HBK didn't have streaks to snap. I'm sure plenty of guys might say in interviews that they would love to break the streak but I wonder how many of them would accept to do so given the opportunity to do it. The amount of pressure that it would put on a guys shoulders would be incredibly hard to carry, I mean if someone is to break the streak then they need to take it and turn themselves into the next true megastar.

Also Taker should care if there is money in doing something or not given how much of a company guy he's been throughout the years. He should and probably will do what's best for the company and not himself and that is to keep the streak alive.

I would say only Cena and Punk would have the balls to take on that burden, but again I agree with you.... Glad this discussion stayed the course and didn't turn into the typical CM Punk thread