Comic Book Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Just finished the first issue of The Fantastic Four and I already know I'm about to love this. It showed their origin and they fought The Moleman, and up next in issue 2 we have Skrulls :garrett

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Screenshot (19).png

The clock's tickin' I just count the hours :nod

Fantastic Four has been great so far, gonna take me awhile to finish as I'm only at #8 so far with reading all day lol The classic Marvel comics are also so packed with content they take way longer to read though, you could tell they were def selling these issue by issue and not assuming you'd be following the series like some of those Vertigo series I'd read prior. And man I can't talk enough about how great Jack Kirby's art is for this one. It's just "default comic book" art in my mind bc he embodies everything I imagine from a superhero artist

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
On issue #23 now of the Fantastic Four and read the first Annual as well. Just great stuff, really feels like I'm watching an old superhero cartoon. It has all the cliches before they were cliches. Plus they've already had guest stars from Hulk, Spider-Man, and Ant-Man which has been great. Dr. Doom also rules, and Jack Kirby's art is still insane. I can't wait until I get to Galactus now that I'm really into this, it's like around issues 50 :mark:

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
71HE5gazkLL.jpg

It's a lot different than watching the TV shows, but it's cool to be able to slot in to this world fairly easily. Already knowing most of the characters and their names really helps. I've not really ever been a comic guy but @CHRISTOPHER showed me how to get in to comics fairly easily and with little to no cost, so I jumped at that opportunity.

I love the graphical style and tone of the comics. Still getting used to reading them, but it's becoming a nice night time thing to help me relax.

Reactions: Chris

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
You been reading anything Chris?

I have still been going through the Walking Dead on occasion but kind of slacking, wouldn't mind some suggestions.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
You been reading anything Chris?

I have still been going through the Walking Dead on occasion but kind of slacking, wouldn't mind some suggestions.

Lol nah I moved and now I have real internet so I've been watching movies and shit instead with my free time

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Very awesome. More cover arts in the article.

Intrigued by this. RL Stine is one of my all-time favourites, I still enjoy Goosebumps even today.

stuff-4.png

This year marks the 30th anniversary of Goosebumps, and all these years later R.L. Stine is still churning out horror treats for all ages. Up next is a brand new adult horror comic book series titled Stuff of Nightmares, and Bloody Disgusting has learned this week that original Goosebumps artist Tim Jacobus has reunited with Stine for some killer cover artwork!

Reactions: Alexa and Chris

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
Awesome to hear this news I was always a fan of RL Stine as a kid and for many Childhood Years in School I begged and pleaded my Parents for RL Stine everything. Hopefully this is a success which it will be and we get more of the Stories coming to Live Action down the road.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
FakXKquX0AAEbqL

One of the hardest lines ever written

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Batman-Spawn-1-trade-dress-scaled.jpeg

Officially announced by DC today, two of the biggest characters in comic book history will face off in upcoming mashup Batman Spawn from Todd McFarlane and Greg Capullo. After staying out of each other’s way for almost 20 years, the Court of Owls steps in to try to use Spawn to beat Batman in the not to be missed comic available on December 13.

“Look, this is really simple. I get to play with one of the greatest comic characters ever (Batman), get to reunite with amazing artist Greg Capullo, AND am able to mix in my own creation (Spawn) into the storyline. These are the types of projects many of us creators in the comic industry only get to be a part of a few times in our careers,” said Writer Todd McFarlane.

“I was fortunate enough to be able to draw both Spawn and Batman each for over a decade,” said Artist Greg Capullo. “Now I get to use those decades of experience to bring fans the event they’ve waited nearly 20 years to see happen. Spawn and Batman together again. It’s gonna be fire.”

Batman Spawn will feature a main cover by Greg Capullo as well as variants by Todd McFarlane, Gabriele Dell’otto, Sean Murphy, Franceso Mattina, J. Scott Campbell and Jim Lee. Ratio variants will also be available by Jason Fabok (1:25), Brett Booth (1:50) and Jim Lee (1:100). Fans can also get their hands on a 1:250 signed inked variant of the main cover by McFarlane, as well as 1:666 signed variants of the main covers by McFarlane or Capullo. Finally, a 1:1000 signed main cover by both McFarlane and Capullo will be available.

In Batman Spawn, “Two dark heroes, cursed by tragedy, find their paths crossing again…but not by choice! What sinister foe is at work, pitting the Dark Knight against the Hellspawn? From the shadows of Gotham City to New York City, this epic event is the blockbuster you’ve been waiting almost two decades for!”

McFarlane added, “My goal with this book is two-fold; First to just make it as fun a read as possible both visually and story wise. Then second, I hope this book will continue to add to some of the many reasons any of us actually collect superhero comic books. That’s to release an “Event” book that folks will remember for years to come. This should be one heck of a nice holiday gift!”

Ahead of the release of Batman Spawn, DC is collecting the original two crossover stories, Spawn/Batman from Frank Miller and Todd McFarlane and Batman/Spawn: War Devil#1 by legendary Batman writers and artists Doug Moench, Chuck Dixon, Alan Grant, and Klaus Janson, in one complete collection, Batman/Spawn: The Classic Collection available on November 15.

“One of the great pleasures of collecting comics is being around when ‘event books’ are released,” added McFarlane. “Each time one of these events happened I was always glad I was collecting at that moment because I felt like I was part of something really cool happening in our comic industry. So now, to be able to gather DC Comics and Image Comics together to release a new reprint of those two wonderful books from yesteryear; SPAWN/BATMAN and the BATMAN/SPAWN: WAR DEVIL crossovers to a new generation of collectors who missed out on all the excitement of when they first came out. This, to me, is why I got into drawing comic books in the first place…to have as much fun and joy as I could. These books do that!”

See more and learn more over on DC’s official blog.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Batman crossovers historically are way better than they have any right to be so excited

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
Big time Spawn fan growing up even to the point where I purchased a loose Figure of Spawn from the first Series last Year. Batman in that favorites list as well so this is feeling like Heaven to me hearing this News.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score

A new trailer for the upcoming Riddler: Year One comic has been released, detailing both the origin of the character from The Batman as well as Paul Dano’s desire to further explore the character he played.

The trailer itself details some of the panels from the first issue of the comic, which are illustrated by artist Stevan Subic. The comic will serve as a prequel to the events of Matt Reeves’ The Batman film and will chronicle the first year of Edward Nashton using his Riddler persona. The book itself is similar in concept to that of Frank Miller’s 1986 comic Batman: Year One, which explored Batman’s first year as the iconic Caped Crusader.

In the trailer, actor Paul Dano — who played The Riddler in The Batman — speaks with director Matt Reeves. Dano reveals that the idea for the comic came after speaking with Reeves about his own ideas for the character, leading Reeves to contact DC’s Jim Lee and pitch the idea. Dano also said that he was excited to “geek out” about the world of Batman.

“To really geek out about Batman and the history, it just really gripped me,” Dano said. “The idea here was to enter the comic in a really subjective way, so a lot of this is about somebody like Edward Nashton and what is going on inside his head. And I always felt like the only positive affirmation Edward Nashton has ever gotten in his entire life was from solving riddles or playing games … It’s become its own thing as it’s progressed.”

The first issue for Riddler: Year One is available now, with the remaining five set to release bimonthly.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Today is Free Comic Book Day, if you have any shops near you go see what they have available. Some digital deals too from Marvel and DC, usually first issues of some books or some special one shots will be free