China Begins Construction of 'World's Tallest Building'

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
constructiondigital said:
Developer Broad Group has finally begun construction on Sky City Tower in Changsta: a building which upon completion is expected to strip the Burj Khalifa in Dubai of the accolade of being the tallest building in the world.
The tower, whose construction has suffered numerous delays, is being built in the rural outskirts of Chinese city Changsta, and is estimated to come with a similarly sky-high price tag of £560 million, (5.25 billion yuan).

Broad Group chairman Zhang Yue said at a ceremony to mark the commencement of building work that he hoped the 208-storey skyscraper would be completed by April 2014.

If it reaches the predicted 2739 feet, it would narrowly surpass the 2716.5 feet of the Burj Khalifa. The current Asian record is held by the 1667 foot Taipei 101 which itself is to be eclipsed by the 2073 foot Shanghai Tower next year.

China is in fact home to four of the world’s current tallest skyscrapers, but it is not simply the planned height of the building that raises eyebrows. The scope and vision is certainly impressive, with the building upon completion to contain 208 floors, encompassing an area of 1.05 million square metres, which is larger than several countries.

To fill it, the developers plan numerous amenities, including apartments, schools, shopping malls, theatres, cinemas and even a hospital. This is in addition to what is being called a "vertical farm" that will be capable of providing food for each of the 30,000 inhabitants.

Zhang sees the building as a potential entire world for some residents, who might have no necessity to even leave it.

He said: "People don't want to have to get on trains or drive a car to get to work. Sky City will take some 2,000 cars off the road simply because its residents can find most of what they need right where they live."

The tower was originally scheduled for completion in March 2013, and has received jibes as a result of the delays. Only last month, Hong Kong's South China Morning Post called the building site simply "a verdant expanse playing host to the cattle of local villagers."

dezeen_Broad-Group-starts-work-on-worlds-tallest-tower_1.jpg

Impressive building that is apparently only going to take 90 days to build thanks to prefab construction. I like that on the site they have the building will only take up 10% of the space to allow plenty of room for flora to surround the building. When they do complete it hopefully it has a viewing platform where tourists can visit it, if they do I will have to go. I have been up Burj Khalifa and that had an incredible view, what was even better was that the lift to get to the top took just 35 seconds.

I like over the top engineering like this. It is good to see how far we can push ourselves and see how what can be created with the technology that we have.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Not impressed, I could do it if i wanted single handedly.

Nate

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
homicide
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Geez another engineer wishing to construct the tallest building in the world. You know one day some genius is going to end up pushing the laws of physics to the absolute max which would result in something very disastrous.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Not impressed, I could do it if i wanted single handedly.

But could you do it in 90 days?

Geez another engineer wishing to construct the tallest building in the world. You know one day some genius is going to end up pushing the laws of physics to the absolute max which would result in something very disastrous.

There are some concerns about the safety of the building in the case of a serious natural disaster but the engineers are confident that the building has enough give in it to combat any strongs forces. Reportedly the engineers were planning on a slightly smaller building but the local government wanted the world's tallest building. I do wonder where the limit is because at some stage we will hit a height where it simply isn't possible to build any higher without severe issues. I presume that cost and practicallity will cause that limit to be reached rather than the engineering of it.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
90 days is for amateurs I could do it in three-minutes.

Nate

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
homicide
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
But could you do it in 90 days?

There are some concerns about the safety of the building in the case of a serious natural disaster but the engineers are confident that the building has enough give in it to combat any strongs forces. Reportedly the engineers were planning on a slightly smaller building but the local government wanted the world's tallest building. I do wonder where the limit is because at some stage we will hit a height where it simply isn't possible to build any higher without severe issues. I presume that cost and practicallity will cause that limit to be reached rather than the engineering of it.

This is one of those time where I wished that I took up Civil Engineering (and have the money) so I can discover the limit myself, mostly because it is fascinating to see how far up the building can go up before the Gravitational Potential Energy is just too much for the building to bear.

I'm not too concerned about natural disasters, mainly because as mentioned before, the vast increase of technology as made buildings of tall structure really easy to withstand more harsher weather conditions. But with that being said, there are some events that will cause pretty much everyone to collapse in it's path, not just multi-billion dollar buildings.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
90 days is for amateurs I could do it in three-minutes.

Just need these guys to help

[YOUTUBE]l1fh5dspuqI[/YOUTUBE]

This is one of those time where I wished that I took up Civil Engineering (and have the money) so I can discover the limit myself, mostly because it is fascinating to see how far up the building can go up before the Gravitational Potential Energy is just too much for the building to bear.

I'm not too concerned about natural disasters, mainly because as mentioned before, the vast increase of technology as made buildings of tall structure really easy to withstand more harsher weather conditions. But with that being said, there are some events that will cause pretty much everyone to collapse in it's path, not just multi-billion dollar buildings.

I have done a few civil engineering courses at uni and it is a fascinating subject, the Statics and Dynamics behind it not so much fun. One lecturer, for Engineering Planning & Design, was great because at the end of each lecture he would present an example of a major engineering failure and then we would guess what the cause of the failure was. In the end he would reveal it and for the most part it was something really simple that was overlooked throughout the complex process, most of these buildings come undone because of something very minor being missed during construction.

I don't think we are near the maximum yet, they can probably double what the Burj Khalifa is without too much trouble. The issue would be the cost and probably the lift system in the building. As technology improves though it will mitigate some of the factors by improving the materials used.

Reactions: 1 person

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2

RIP! Naw Rosey would just hold me down, plus he would only bring his "Hamburglar" friend with him. But Rico on the other hand now that's a guy I want on my staff.

Weez

Reaction score

I have done a few civil engineering courses at uni and it is a fascinating subject, the Statics and Dynamics behind it not so much fun. One lecturer, for Engineering Planning & Design, was great because at the end of each lecture he would present an example of a major engineering failure and then we would guess what the cause of the failure was. In the end he would reveal it and for the most part it was something really simple that was overlooked throughout the complex process, most of these buildings come undone because of something very minor being missed during construction.

I don't think we are near the maximum yet, they can probably double what the Burj Khalifa is without too much trouble. The issue would be the cost and probably the lift system in the building. As technology improves though it will mitigate some of the factors by improving the materials used.

Reminds me of some random episode of How I met your mother where Ted's talking about this architect that didn't account for the weight of the books when he designed a library lol.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Expecting the headline "Worlds tallest building collapses from earthquake". It's China afterall.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
Expecting the headline "Worlds tallest building collapses from earthquake". It's China afterall.

This. I have a good friend who visited China for a semester, and he told me that all the glitzy, lit up, modern buildings you see in National Geographic and on tv are all a facade. China's building code standards are crap. Laughable, even. Good luck to them, but let's not pretend we're so shaken up when the building collapses in 13 months and thousands are killed.

Weez

Reaction score

This gem came across my MSN newsfeed tonight, thought it was still fairly topical. Enjoy :)

Intempo building, 47-stories skyscraper would really be nice if it had an elevator

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I wonder if this building will have suicide nets.

Ryan

Reaction score

My thoughts exactly. I find it hard to believe that they could build a building slightly taller than Burj Khalifa for some like $800 million and in 90 days when it cost $1.6 billion and six years to build Burj Khalifa. Now, I know Burj Khalifa suffered some setbacks but even so, it would never have been completed in 90 days... not even close. This building is sure to come down inside of a year in some horrific tragedy.