Champions League 2011/2012 Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewb

Reaction score
I can take that comment for the Crystal Palace game, but not for Basel last night. A lot of big time players just didnt perform and Fergie HAS to get that sorted.

Man City were the top performing team to not make it into the knockout stages with 10 points. In a tough group I thought they done well, just one bad performance undoing a lot of good work.

Aniking

Reaction score
I can see Fergie playing under strength sides for the Europa League, resting his first team players so they're fresh each week for the Premier League. In a way I can't blame him, but on the other hand I could see it as being a tad disrespectful. The fact they place highly in the Champions League every season shouldn't discount the fact they dug themselves into this predicament. They should take this competition seriously, which I honestly see Mancini & Manchester City doing... as long as they don't fuck up in the Premier League. Many teams would kill to have their spots.

But, as an Arsenal fan, all I can say is this - London 2, Manchester 0.

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
I'd rather play Welbeck or Hernandez over Berbatov any day. Hernandez has been red hot since joining and before his injury, Welbeck was one of the better players in your side. Even in the Cup games, it has been Owen who has been performing better. Berbatov is too old now and he would be better off going to a mid table team like Villa or Newcastle now.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Looks like Man Utd wont be winning fuck all this season.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
I'd rather play Welbeck or Hernandez over Berbatov any day. Hernandez has been red hot since joining and before his injury, Welbeck was one of the better players in your side. Even in the Cup games, it has been Owen who has been performing better. Berbatov is too old now and he would be better off going to a mid table team like Villa or Newcastle now.

Welbeck and Herdandez should have played, I agree... I'm just a Berbatov fan but I do agree that Welbeck and Herdandez should play. In all honesty, Berbatov should just walk out of the club at Season's end so we can get a better defender... It sucks Berbs is getting paid but not playing.

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Yes you do need a better defender, Ferdinand is too old now and you have sorely missed Scholes this season, Cleverly is too young yet to replace him. If I were manager I'd start Ji Sung Park a lot more often, he hardly gets his game and when he comes in, his is class. I'd sign a top class centre mid and a top centre back

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Watched the game earlier and was pleased with the result.

Kevin Prince-Boateng's goal was awesome. Robinho was great too. So long Arsenal, yet another season without a trophy.

Aniking

Reaction score
As an Arsenal fan, I was fucking ashamed to call them my team after watching that game. We were terrible everywhere, from start to finish. I truly hope this result is a blessing in disguise, because the fact that Wenger thinks this team can actually compete for trophies and make the top 4 comfortably is a joke. We're out of the Carling Cup, out of the Champions League after the first leg, were out of the running for the title after the first few weeks of the season and we can barely hang on to fourth spot. Not only that but we play Sunderland in the FA Cup this weekend, and after that performance I'm seriously worried we'll get knocked out of that too.

I respect Wenger for everything he has done for the club as he has been a brilliant manager, but his past success cannot override the fact we're slipping more and more each season since we last won a trophy in 2006. We used to be a team that included many world class players and were just about always a threat for trophies, but now we're a team that buys unknown players, half of whom go bust, whereas the other half develop into top players, players that we end up selling anyway. Perfect example is Samir Nasri. I had never heard of him until we bought him, he is with the club for a few seasons, was our best player last season, then leaves for Man City, a team full of world class players. In a way I can't blame him.

What makes this all so much more worse is the fact we're the fifth richest club in the world. We sell top players for a lot of money, yet Wenger searches through the bargain bin and attempts to pull out a gem that'll reach their potential years later. It's time Wenger grew a set and forked out the cash next season (if he's still around) or it's time for a big change and we bring in a top manager that can rebuild the team and make it a force again by splashing the cash. Top teams NEED to spend money on top class players, but the simple fact is we haven't done that since 2006. Here's the proof:

06/07 - Thierry Henry, Ashley Cole and Sol Campbell leave the club. We bought Eduardo (was often reliable before he suffered that horrendous leg break), Lukasz Fabianski (has constantly made crucial mistakes, therefore never becoming #1 and could be gone at the end of this season), Denilson (has never fulfilled his potential and will be sold at the end of the season), William Gallas (was a great addition due to his experience) and Alex Song (only developed into a good player in the past two seasons).
Grade: Fail. Song has taken too long to become a good player, Fabianski and Denilson are duds and unfortunately Eduardo was a shadow of the player he once was after that leg break.

07/08 - Jens Lehmann, Jose Reyes and Freddie Ljungberg leave the club. We bought Samir Nasri (developed into a world class player), Bacary Sagna (often our most consistent defender) and Aaron Ramsey (has begun to fulfill his potential, but is too inconsistent for my liking). We also bought Lassana Diarra but sold him by the end of the season after never playing. He is now at Real Madrid.
Grade: Pass, but only because Lehmann and Ljungberg couldn't offer much anymore, making their losses not that substantial.

08/09 - Mathieu Flamini, Alexander Hleb and Gilberto Silva leave the club. We bought Andrei Arshavin (somebody who was great his first two seasons but has declined his next two and will be sold at the end of the season) and Mikel Silvestre (was never close to getting into the first team and was wayyyyy past his prime).
Grade: Easy Fail considering how fantastic Flamini and Hleb were playing at the time.

09/10 - Emmanuel Adebayor and Kolo Toure leave the club. We bought Thomas Vermaelen (currently our best centre-back and vice-captain) and Sol Campbell (free agent in Janaury, was, at times, beneficial for the remainder of that season).
Grade: 50/50. We didn't replace Adebayor, but did replace Toure.

10/11 - William Gallas, Eduardo, Sol Campbell and Phillipe Senderos are the only notable players sold, but Eduardo was a shadow of the player he once was, Campbell was only signed for six months, and Senderos was never close to getting into the first team. We bought Marouane Chamakh (first half of that season was awesome, has been shit ever since), Laurent Koscielny (has had a fantastic season thus far), Sebastien Squillaci (complete dud buy, just like Silvestre, gone at the end of the season) and Ryo Miyaichi (has shown glimpses of brilliance, but hasn't been close to the first team yet and therefore is out on loan).
Grade: Pass. Koscielny has been great and Miyaichi is a player for the future (although we need players that are top class right now), but both make up for our minor losses.

11/12 - I'm gonna assess this differently considering it's currently this season. I'm gonna compare our losses to their replacements:

- Gael Clichy and Armand Traore sold, Andre Santos bought. Grade: Fail. Santos is bad defensively but good offensively, often leaving us with 3 defenders when he plays, whereas Clichy has been in and out of the City first team and Traore was a mainstay in the QPR team for a while.
- Emmanuel Eboue sold, Carl Jenkinson bought. Grade: 50/50. Eboue was average and never played, whereas Jenkinson was beginning to play well in Sagna's absence before being injured himself.
- Cesc Fabregas sold, Mikel Arteta bought. Grade: 50/50. It's Fabregas, so unless his replacement was world class than it was never gonna be a Pass. Not to take away from Arteta though, who has been one of our best players this season, which is why the grade isn't a Fail.
- Samir Nasri sold, Gervinho and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain bought. Grade: 50/50. Gervinho makes terrible decisions in front of goal and hasn't scored enough, whereas Oxlade-Chamberlain has been fantastic when he has played. Nasri has been in and out of the City first team, but only because their team is full of world class players.
- We also bought Per Mertesacker (frequent player for Germany, has been alright this season) and Park Chu-Young (has appeared twice in the Carling Cup, scored a great goal in one game, but is a dud buy).
Overall Grade: Fail. Three 50/50's and a Fail, as well as an alright centre-back buy and a dud forward, makes this a Fail.

Overall Transfer Grade: Fail. One Easy Fail, two Fails, a 50/50 and two passes that come only because of the players sold not being/no longer are world quality makes this very disappointing to see. Combine this with a lot of reserve buys that I saw, many of whom are already gone or haven't been close to the first team and it's clear to see we have issues with buying players. It can all be summed up with this:

IN: Alex Song, Bacary Sagna, Aaron Ramsey, Andrei Arshavin, Thomas Vermaelen, Laurent Koscielny, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mikel Arteta, Gervinho and Per Mertesacker

OUT: Thierry Henry, Ashley Cole, Sol Campbell, Jens Lehmann, Freddie Ljungberg, Mathieu Flamini, Alexander Hleb, Gilberto Silva, Emmanuel Adebayor, Kolo Toure, William Gallas, Gael Clichy, Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri

Yep.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
I heard earlier whilst watching the game Wenger & Arsenal had the chance to sign Ibrahimovic before he went to Ajax. When he left Sweden, Wenger apparently wanted to take Ibrahimovic on trial. But his agent apparently told him, sorry he doesn't do trials.

Also Johan Djourou sucks. God knows why Wenger has kept him around this long.

Aniking

Reaction score
I heard earlier whilst watching the game Wenger & Arsenal had the chance to sign Ibrahimovic before he went to Ajax. When he left Sweden, Wenger apparently wanted to take Ibrahimovic on trial. But his agent apparently told him, sorry he doesn't do trials.

Also Johan Djourou sucks. God knows why Wenger has kept him around this long.

If that's the case, we lost out big time. Ibrahimovic was awesome against us, and can you believe since 00/01 he has won the league title every season for whatever team he plays for other than 01/02? That's amazing.

And yeah, Djourou is hopeless. Vermaelen, Koscielny and Mertesacker are above him in the pecking order, although he's above Squillaci, but that's nothing to be proud of. Also, while Sagna and Jenkinson were out injured, Djourou was first choice right-back, but now Coquelin, a centre-mid, is being picked before him in that position. Even our reserve right-back, Nico Yennaris (who apparently is also a midfielder) has made 2 appearances in the first team and done better than Djourou. Squillaci is gone at the end of the season, hopefully replaced by Vertonghen, meaning Djourou will likely be gone the season after. I'm fine with that.

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Either way, you need to start spending the money you earn, it's what its for.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Chelsea lost earlier 3-1 to Napoli. Hopefully Napoli get the job done in the 2nd leg at Stamford Bridge.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Thread name change request:

Champions League 2011/2012 AKA Lets all laugh at Chelsea. 3 - 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.