BTB Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Gambit

Reaction score
I'm sport of surprised we don't have much any, or many, AEW BTBs. It's something I've pondered doing for a bit of time. While the first year or so of AEW may not have been great given the talent they had and how some stories played out. I still loved the unpredictability it established as well as the long term plans it established.

Two periods I've considered toying with is either CM Punk's return from Brawl Out or his departure after Brawl In. Something that has bugged me since CM Punk showed up in AEW is that it lost the "sports centric feel" in my eyes in terms of matches, stories, and show presentation. So I'd definitely try to showcase that.. Though this BTB would be a "write up/summary" since fully written shows is my focus for the WCW Lives project.

Another BTB idea, while lofty, would be something of "promotions under a governing body". Maybe four or five writers come together have a draft or a random draw of some sort then produce shows. There could even been trades, free agency, cap space and what have you. Though that would require a lot of time and management perhaps. It just sounds fun though.

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
I'm sport of surprised we don't have much any, or many, AEW BTBs. It's something I've pondered doing for a bit of time. While the first year or so of AEW may not have been great given the talent they had and how some stories played out. I still loved the unpredictability it established as well as the long term plans it established.

Two periods I've considered toying with is either CM Punk's return from Brawl Out or his departure after Brawl In. Something that has bugged me since CM Punk showed up in AEW is that it lost the "sports centric feel" in my eyes in terms of matches, stories, and show presentation. So I'd definitely try to showcase that.. Though this BTB would be a "write up/summary" since fully written shows is my focus for the WCW Lives project.

Another BTB idea, while lofty, would be something of "promotions under a governing body". Maybe four or five writers come together have a draft or a random draw of some sort then produce shows. There could even been trades, free agency, cap space and what have you. Though that would require a lot of time and management perhaps. It just sounds fun though.
Honestly doing an AEW BTB is something I have toyed with in my head but I struggle to find when I would want to start. Part of me has considered starting right after Brawl out and just removing Punk or having a timeline where he is less like Punk

Melbourne Made

Reaction score
Hey Yo ...........I was just wondering is it ok to book wrestlers like Brock Lesnar for example?

Reactions: Tranquilo Jay

DakotaNorth

Reaction score
Hey Yo ...........I was just wondering is it ok to book wrestlers like Brock Lesnar for example?
You can do whatever you want. I know I feel awkward using Vince so I've written him out - although if I did a peak Vince vs Austin BtB I'd probably keep him involved. It all depends on your ability to write and the actual reason you're using a person. If it adds nothing to the diary then ask yourself why you'd want to use someone, but if they fit the story and it makes sense (A modern BTB with Brock or Vince is probably not the way to go, but I know some people don't care about ultra-realism so, again, it's very subjective).

Melbourne Made

Reaction score
You can do whatever you want. I know I feel awkward using Vince so I've written him out - although if I did a peak Vince vs Austin BtB I'd probably keep him involved. It all depends on your ability to write and the actual reason you're using a person. If it adds nothing to the diary then ask yourself why you'd want to use someone, but if they fit the story and it makes sense (A modern BTB with Brock or Vince is probably not the way to go, but I know some people don't care about ultra-realism so, again, it's very subjective).
Very well explained and much apricated man thank you I will take this to heart to work out my current idea

Melbourne Made

Reaction score
Hey Yo

I know that I have apologized before but I am sorry for all the stop starts with my current BTB.
I also know that I have said this before but I am honestly giving it my last shot and the timeline going forward will be 2019 -

Reactions: Death By Looch

Tranquilo Jay

WRESTLING IS COOL
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
8zeSJYf
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
MJF1
Favorite Sports Team
eZIPN8K
Favorite Sports Team
FXYi6FH
Favorite Sports Team
eZIPN8K
Favorite Sports Team
FXYi6FH
I've thought about this for a couple of weeks. I'm gonna do a BTB for AEW as I haven't seen one so I'll start from the beginning of the show from now but since we can do what we want in them I'm going to put a few shows which will feature some stars from all companies ( just as it wouldn't ever be done ) dream.matches if you like.

I've never done one before so before I start any suggestions?

Last edited:

Tranquilo Jay

WRESTLING IS COOL
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
8zeSJYf
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
MJF1
Favorite Sports Team
eZIPN8K
Favorite Sports Team
FXYi6FH
Favorite Sports Team
eZIPN8K
Favorite Sports Team
FXYi6FH
Honestly doing an AEW BTB is something I have toyed with in my head but I struggle to find when I would want to start. Part of me has considered starting right after Brawl out and just removing Punk or having a timeline where he is less like Punk
It doesn't have to have punk in? Could I do it where we have dream matches that we ain't ever gonna see. Sort of a cross promotional matches like for instance Kenny Omega v Seth Rollins as just an example? Or would that be too cheesy?

DakotaNorth

Reaction score
I'm always torn on stuff like that, mostly because I'm a slave to realism but also because I personally get more pleasure out of getting blood from a stone than just getting awesome EWR/TEW ratings. Basically, I'm all about the story, and if x vs x makes for a better story and better pay off because we're more familiar with them, then thats cool, otherwise it's just names fighting one another for me.

That being said, my favourite fantasy booking is ALWAYS Invasion based (CZW vs ROH, ECW in 1997, and something happened in 2001 but my memory is hazy) because I do think that cross-promotional build with a great story is the pinnacle of storytelling (It's why I'm still watching the MCU after like 5 or 6 films didn't appeal to me whatsoever, but when they do that next big team up, i'll be there at the midnight release!)

As with anything, there are no bad ideas, just good and bad writing. All the BTB's I really enjoy on here are those ones that take their time, build to meaningful matches, and then deliver. A surprise is cool, but a satisfying end to a story is even better.

Reactions: White Rhyno

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
It doesn't have to have punk in? Could I do it where we have dream matches that we ain't ever gonna see. Sort of a cross promotional matches like for instance Kenny Omega v Seth Rollins as just an example? Or would that be too cheesy?
Yeah that could be a fun thread to read

Tranquilo Jay

WRESTLING IS COOL
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
8zeSJYf
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
MJF1
Favorite Sports Team
eZIPN8K
Favorite Sports Team
FXYi6FH
Favorite Sports Team
eZIPN8K
Favorite Sports Team
FXYi6FH
Yeah that could be a fun thread to read
Thanks man. Whilst I'm away going to think of this and make sure in have my tablet with me to write notes down. Better ideas in the heat .

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy Mustang

Melbourne Made

Reaction score
Hey Yo

Like I previously said my current btb isn't working so I am gonna take a break - see ya at some in point in the future

Tranquilo Jay

WRESTLING IS COOL
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
8zeSJYf
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
MJF1
Favorite Sports Team
eZIPN8K
Favorite Sports Team
FXYi6FH
Favorite Sports Team
eZIPN8K
Favorite Sports Team
FXYi6FH
Can I put in anything I want ? Such as Vince never left WWE so there's a massive exodus of talent not liking his booking. @Roy Mustang just asking as I don't want it too sound a bit too over the top. Let me know pls dude before I go tonight.

Thanks man.

Reactions: Death By Looch

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
Can I put in anything I want ? Such as Vince never left WWE so there's a massive exodus of talent not liking his booking. @Roy Mustang just asking as I don't want it too sound a bit too over the top. Let me know pls dude before I go tonight.

Thanks man.
Yeah in theory you can do whatever you want with a BTB as long as you are having fun

Death By Looch

Peace, Love & Fuck You
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
Yea, that's basically it. Never write a BTB for anyone else, write it for yourself and your joy of booking, writing and letting your creativity flow. Obviously, some people might be turned off by the idea of reading anything with Vince or for example, Benoit, but if you want to include it in your BTB, then I'd say just go for it.