Booty’s Alphabetic 80’s Movie Challenge

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Tbh the best solution would have just been a longer movie bc I wouldn't want to do away with anything but I'm sure that was like an impossibility at the time bc the studio probably would have said not marketable if too long

Bad News Booty

I Fancy Martina
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Tbh the best solution would have just been a longer movie bc I wouldn't want to do away with anything but I'm sure that was like an impossibility at the time bc the studio probably would have said not marketable if too long

Yeah 80s movies especially comedies had a pretty tight 90 minute parameter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad News Booty

I Fancy Martina
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
3 days left to get your reviews in on this then I’ll announce the next one

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I will get mine done today after I get off work. Sorry it has taken so long to write up

Reactions: Bad News Booty

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I forgot how much I love Richar Pryor and John Candy and how much they are missed. John Candy was so great with his comedic timing and such a great funny big guy thst other big guys could have learned alot from if the studied him instead of being over the top and dping the same things in every movie.

This movie was a fun trip down memory lane. Felt like it could have fleshed some things out more with some areas with about another 10 or 12 minutes in the film.

The movie also dealt with the sudden gain of money and the torture that comes with gaining so much wealth so quickly but with a comedic charm.

I give this film a 7/10

Reactions: Chris

Bad News Booty

I Fancy Martina
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Easy math Brewster’s Millions got all 7’s
Next movie in honor or Martin Mull is
IMG_1672.jpeg

Due date 08/08
@Mitch Buchannon @epo1984 @Chris @Canadian Dragon@Wangman Page @Death By Looch @Jimmy King @Marty McFourth @Crocker @Fuji Vice

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
This film is great. I watched it recently with my daughter so this will be a fun time.

Reactions: Bad News Booty

Death By Looch

Peace, Love & Fuck You
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
Okay, let's do it. It's Looch with a review post in this thread. :hayden3

So... this is the first one I have seen before, but it's been probably about 20 years or so. Still this is a fantastic and very entertaining movie, but I also think it's hitting a whole other level when you have been in some "wars" playing Cluedo/Clue before. I get that feeling that when you never played the game, you will look at it as a simple, silly murder mystery comedy that just flies by in no time and that goes hard as a parody for the classic "Whodunnit?" stereotypes, while those who have played it, see so much more in it. At least I did. From the very obvious references to the game to the small, very subtle ones... this movie really made me feel, that I was watching a board game come to live. The running around of the cast in the last third of the movie, for example, really made me think back to some rounds I've played that felt exactly like that.

Also for example, this shot from within the first 5 minutes:
dn6gLMb.png

If you know, how the board of Cluedo (usually) looks like, then you'll probably know exactly what I mean. Such a subtle, but genius nod to the game. (I at least hope it was intended... maybe it was just to foreshadow what's gonna happen to that chandelier and Colonel Mustard, but I just love to think the choice of that floor pattern was delibirately chosen.)

The cast is, of course, phenomenal. (Duh) Tim Curry as the driving force to keep the story moving is such a perfect casting choice and I love that surge of energy he gives that final stretch. It's like he just can't stop himself from going a hundred miles an hour and I fuckin' love it. Michael McKean is another highlight for me, for all that physicality he brings to the table and Madeline Kahn is outstanding in her delivery. Speaking of the cast, again it's the small, subtle things that really made all of these performances something special. You can just tell that you're seeing an all-star cast at work and not a single one of them doesn't deliver.

I don't want to go into the story that much, to be honest, because for me it's not even that important with this one. There are so many twists and turns thrown in with the backgrounds of each character and story overall and I just don't think it weighs in that much, when it comes to rating the movie. Obviously, if the overall story would've been extremely terribly handled or whatever, it would be different, but that's not the case here. For me, in this one, it's all about the performances, the humor and how the story is driven forward. The only other thing that I want to add about the story is that I do like that idea of getting a triple ending, that basically comes out of nowhere.

Now, the last thing I want to add, besides my final score, is that I'm a huge, HUGE fan of Murder by Death. I have seen that movie at least once per year, since I was 12 or 13 and when it comes to comedy murder mystery ensemble movies, it is highly unlikely that there will ever be a movie that I would love more than that one, but Clue comes very close to it. Watching this one definitely had me having Murder by Death in the back of my mind the whole time and I don't know if Landis and Lynn also took at least a bit of inspiration from that movie, but I like to think they did. Also... special shoutout to Eileen Brennan, who is the one definite link between those two movies, as she performed in both.

My final rating is a 9 outta 10.

Death By Looch

Peace, Love & Fuck You
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
I forgot to add... RIP Martin Mull, Eileen Brennan, Madeline Kahn and Bill Henderson.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
True story time, folks. When I was a kid, browsing the aisles of the video store, Clue never really stood out to me. Not because I was spending way too much time in the horror section or trying to sneak a peek at the dirty movies, though. It just never seemed like a movie that I wanted to watch, probably due to how stupid the idea of a movie based on a board game sounded to me at the time. For some reason, that feeling stuck with me, and I didn't see Clue for the first time until I was nearly 18 years old. I don't know whether it was partially due to the weed I smoked that evening, but I damn near laughed my ass off and cursed myself for not watching it sooner. Over the next 27 years, I've probably seen Clue 20 times, and even without the weed, it still has the same effect.

So, determined to not allow my impressionable son (who doesn't smoke weed, at least not yet) to suffer the same fate as I, we sat down to watch it together the other night, and I present to you now, some candid thoughts from Jack Fuji....

Tim Curry

"He looks kinda like the dude that lives across the street but less annoying." (Tim Curry does NOT live across the street)

Christopher Lloyd

"He's the judge from Roger Rabbit. Is this guy in everything?"

Colleen Camp

"Whoa dingleberry's wife." (He meant Tackleberry but it's close enough)

I'll spare you the rest, but I DO feel like the preceeding comments show I'm at least raising my son right where movies are concerned!

So, for my own brief thoughts, I want to initially say that the comedy elements here save what would otherwise be a relatively boring murder mystery. I realize it's a comedy movie, but it bears repeating that this concept simply wouldn't work if it was anything other. Perhaps if Battleship had been a laugh riot, we'd remember that one fondly as well, instead of simply going "oh yeah, there was a Battleship movie". The cast are all top notch, but obviously Tim Curry stands out and gives what I consider his 1 or 1a all-time performances (Pennywise would be the other vying for that title) in a role that he was clearly keyed up for. His scene towards the end, describing the murders, should be required viewing for anyone with an even passing interest in comic timing. Meanwhile, legendary character actors like Martin Mull, Michael McKean, Eileen Brennan, Lloyd, Camp and Madeline Khan (my second fave performance here) help keep things moving and play wonderfully off of each other.

The alternate ending gag is interesting, since I never saw the movie in theaters. I know that we see them all now, but back in the day, it would have been pretty cool to rent the video and see two different endings than what you saw in the theater. Personally, I'll take "Here's What Really Happened" as my favourite of the three, but it's hard to go wrong with any. It's also hard to go wrong with Clue, whether you're a 45 year old that came to it late, or a 12 year old that's hopefully just started down it's twisted yet merry path. For a movie with multiple endings, this endless feeling of enjoyment is perhaps its greatest legacy. 7.5/10

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
I rewatched this last night and it’s still one of the silliest movies ever made imo. It is so funny and witty I love it. Tim Curry absolutely is the MVP but I think everyone else played their roles perfectly as well. The alternate endings sequence is so great and Tim Curry running around like a madman explaining everything is so much fun.

8/10

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
So I watched this as I seem to watch this every so often.

To me the movie still holds up from the first time I saw it.

Tim Curry was perfect as the butler and was the best of the whole cast imo. The rest played their parts perfectly and I always laugh at the faces that Miss. White and Miss Peacock always made at different times.

Christopher Lloyd was Christopher Lloyd and was his usual self portraying Professor Plum.

Martin Mull was great in everything that he was in and was exceptional as Colonel Mustard.

The three endings was great the first time I saw it as I wasn't expecting three different endings and now I look forward to them.

I give this a 8/10

Last edited:
Reactions: Death By Looch