Booty’s Alphabetic 80’s Movie Challenge

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
They really did have tremendous chemistry

Reactions: Death By Looch

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I forgot how funny this movie was as I haven't seen it in probably 20+ years.

I did like the combo of Williams and Piscapo in this. I did for a long time when I was younger used to get Piscapo confused with Martin Kove and thought he was the head of Cobra Kai when it wasn't him.

The film is one of the buddy movies that just works and not sure if anyone else would have pulled it off the way these two did.

Rebecca melting was cool as well and at least her ear didn't fall into a bowl of soup.

6.5/10. While not the best movie out there it's still a fun little ride and while watching it you forget about everything else and it's not like anything worse could happen to them as they are dead.

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Dead Heat gets an average score of 6.12

Next up I’m pulling an audible and doing another D movie

IMG_1977.jpeg

Dude date is 9/25
@Death By Looch
@Jimmy King
@Wangman Page
@Chris
@Fuji Vice

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is great, I love Steve Martin.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Hello. My name is Fuji, and I am NOT a Michael Caine fan. I can count on one hand the movies I enjoy his performances in, and one is Jaws: The Revenge, solely because he isn't in it long enough to annoy me. Though my disdain for him is greater than my desire to procure a copy of Gray's Sports Almanac and a time machine, I am still willing to give him his props when I feel they're warranted. I think he's one of the most deserving Oscar winners of all time for his role in Hannah and Her Sisters, and I will go to my grave saying he damn well should have been nominated for his role in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Most people, for good reason, consider this movie a showcase for Steve Martin, but in my mind it's Caine's performance that helps keep the movie grounded well past its expiration date. Well, him and the late Glenne Headly, but we'll get to her in a moment. Suffice to say, if it's got Caine and I don't hate it from the moment his smarmy face appears on screen, it's an instant win as far as I'm concerned. Let's take a look at a few key reasons why this movie is a bonafide classic and why it's essentially erased Bedtime Story (Marlon Brando and David Niven) from existence.

Reason #1 - Chemistry. If you thought Treat Williams and Joe Piscopo had chemistry in Dead Heat, you'll be blown away by how Caine and Martin work together. They have an instant charisma connection that's rare in any movie, and Frank "it's an Opera" Oz knows exactly how to direct them, choosing a lot of wider shots to keep them both in frame and encouraging them to play off of one another. This isn't exactly King Lear, or even Shakespeare in the park, but the two manage to convey some serious acting chops even with the less than serious dialogue they're working with.

Reason #2 - Glenne Headly. Gone way too fucking soon, Headly was always a top notch actress, getting her start as an integral part of the famous Steppenwolf Theatre Company, alongside such notables as Gary Sinise, Raul Julia and John Malkovich, who she was married to for several years. While she doesn't appear until the second act, Headly instantly takes control of the film and makes every single scene she's in count. I have long said that the highest compliment a performer can receive is that you could imagine no one else in their role. This holds true for Caine, Martin and Headly here, and really helps drive home why this movie works so well.

Reason #3 - Ruprecht the Monkey Boy. Martin actually plays it fairly casual for the first portion of this movie, but once he's set free, he graces us with some physical comedy that even manages to surpass his own lofty limits. I don't care who you are, if you're not laughing by the end of the dinner scene, you may have some unresolved issues. "May I take your trident, sir" is still a line that lives rent free in my head, and that's no small feat considering I sometimes forget to wear socks.

Reason #4 - The ending. Quite simply put, there were a million and one ways to screw the pooch on the ending to this movie, yet they managed to not only tie up everything into a nice little knot, but also to show us that, sometimes the bad guys (or girls) win. Oh, I'm not saying they're the villains of the picture, but this isn't exactly Gary Cooper riding off into the sunset with Grace Kelly either. My only regret is that we never got a sequel with these three, though perhaps what we do have is more than enough.

It's an 8.5/10 for me, and I would like to take a moment to thank Jake for not only putting this whole thing together, but for calling an audible and giving me a chance to revisit a movie that is just plain fun. As I'm about to embark on several days of art house, depressing, subtitled Oscar bait at TIFF, it was the perfect refresher. On that note, I have to go to the bathroom. Thank you.

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
I forgot how fun and silly this movie is. The premise is simple and it works, but I don’t think it would’ve worked with anyone else other than Michael Caine, Steve Martin, and Glenne Heady. All three of them are a delight in this one for sure.

I think my favorite scene is where Lawrence is whipping Freddy’s legs while he’s in the wheelchair, and Freddy has to act like he doesn’t feel a thing. I also love the scene near the end at the airport and the end itself is perfect.

8/10

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I will be rewarching this hopefully this weekend.

Reactions: Bad News Booty

Death By Looch

Peace, Love & Fuck You
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
Here we go again... and this was once again a first watch for me. What a great movie through and through.

The chemistry between Michael Caine and Steve Martin is damn good here and Glenne Headly rounded it out so perfectly. It's an incredible journey seeing these three character arcs unfold, especially since they are so different, yet at the core are basically the same or made from the same material, so to speak. And yea, I did see the twist of Janet's being the one fucking the two men over coming. The moment she won at the roulette table and shared the looks and smiles with Jamieson, I immediately thought that's gonna be the big swerve, but to the movie's credit, I wasn't 100% sure until pretty much the very last moment, when she handed the bag back to Jamieson.
Special shout out to Michael Caine's performance. Yeah, Jamieson wants Benson to leave his stomping grounds the whole time and yes, he throws everything at him, but you can still really feel in his gestures, talk and facial expressions that he does have a certain amount of respect for Benson at the end of the day. You see it in the smirks when they are in the train at the beginning and you can feel it when Jamieson admits that he was apparently bested in the end.
I also wanna say that I really like the fact that they did the more slapsticky humor you'd expect from Steve Martin in a film like this pretty much only in the first half. That is something I didn't expect and I think it was refreshing not to have it plastered over the whole runtime. The last scene is so delightfully charming as well btw and I think that's the perfect finish. You have these three characters, who are basically villains (at least to a degree), but with how much charisma and charm all three bring to the table, you simply can't not cheer for them.

Also, two more random thoughts. For me personally this movie really does get the European summer vacation feeling over well and I think it would fit perfectly together with Clue as a double feature.

Finally... well, I don't believe in perfection when it comes to rating things and yea, this one isn't perfect either... but it's close enough for me. 10/10. :cudi

Reactions: Bad News Booty