Are horror movies "respected" by the public?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Viper

Reaction score
Now, what I mean by the thread title is are they respected by the, um, "normies"? The "others"? People that don't like horror movies that much, are casual viewers but they go to the theaters to see a new horror movie and they just laugh at everything?

I have a buddy of mine that really likes horror movies but he says whenever he goes to see one in the theaters, he sees the majority of everyone in there just laughing at the particular movie. Not like, they get scared, jump and then laugh at themselves because it's fun to get scared. They're just laughing. For what reason, I don't know. Horror movies aren't meant to be laughed at and as a horror movie buff like myself, I find it a bit disrespectful? Now, I'm sure there are some horror movies these days that might deserve to get laughed at for the sheer stupidity of it but I was hearing even at Sinister (which is one disturbing little flick), some people were just giggling. It bothers me a bit.

Swamps

Laughs At Stupid People
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
batista
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
To be honest, we live in a very desensitized society compared to what some may be accustomed too. People honestly find humor in violence more often now aswell. However, if you notice, there is some humor involved in horror films, including in violent scenes. Also a lot of movies from the 1980s used a lot of humor with kill scenes, etc.

For example, look at some of Jason's, Leatherface, Pinhead, and other horror icon's kills. There is some humor, specifically dark humor, involved. I die laughing everytime I see Super Freddy in Dream child.

I wouldn't let it bother me that people laugh at horror movies, or any type of film for that matter. That is just the way people are and they're going to find humor in a lot of things many others may not.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
People often laugh when they're nervous (women in particular), which explains why they do it during horror movie showings. I don't look at it as being disrespectful, especially considering they've already paid their money to see the movie in the first place.

As a side note, I like screaming during period drama's and comedies. Tit for tat and all that.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
MJF1
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I personally hate horror movies, I guess i'm a bit of a pussy when it comes to them.

However, a lot of my friends tell me how the horror movies they see are "funny", I do think they are just saying that to cover up the fact that they were scared to death at the film.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Honestly I believe that most of the movie reviewers have not given the Horror movies their just due. I think they look down at them like they are not real movies with their snooty noses and thus causes some movie goers to look down upon them as well. I also agree with Swampsy as he said that we have become desensitized to a lot of things just look at what was considered horrible acts now are considered normal now.

While I watch horror flicks and enjoy them the genre must continue to up the ante in order to keep people coming to see the movies in order to scare them.

Mitch Buchannon

Free Palestine
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
kyleoreilly
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
u6DnU5I
Favorite Sports Team
TTa0tmV
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Well when I was at the cinema a few years back they showed a preview for the Crazies. All the dumbasses starting laughing at the title without a fucking clue that it was a remake of a classic horror movie from the '70s with the same title. I hate those people, but every city and town has them. And they are not the majority.

Castiel

Reaction score
I hate those people that laugh at horror movies, from my experience it's always just so they can try and look "cool" because they're not scared of what's supposed to be scary. They will literally pay money to see a movie so they can tell their friends how they weren't scared. These people exist.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Well it's not easy for them to win awards, I'll say that. As far as being respected... well they're taken seriously. They're not like a Dax Shephard pseudo-comedy-cult film (ok Idiocracy was pretty good). People don't scoff at their existence and a decent horror can get some pretty good press. Lately there have been some real duds (I'm looking at you, Sinister) but movies from The Omen to The Ring are well liked by most of the public and taken seriously as quality movies so, I'd say yes, they're respected.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
movies from The Omen to The Ring are well liked by most of the public and taken seriously as quality movies so, I'd say yes, they're respected.
I'll give you The Omen, but I can't recall The Ring being taken seriously. Since 2000, I'd say the only horror movies that have truly been taken seriously are Pan's Labyrinth, Let The Right One In, Irreversible and perhaps The Host, provided you can glean the Korean humour.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Really? If I was to poll the people I know, easily a majority of them would say they've seen The Ring. And for that matter I don't even know what any of those horror movies you listed are. Sure I know I'm lame and all, but yeah, The Ring was pretty popular. Also, why not list Scream? Not a horror movie, really?

Mitch Buchannon

Free Palestine
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
kyleoreilly
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
u6DnU5I
Favorite Sports Team
TTa0tmV
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Really? If I was to poll the people I know, easily a majority of them would say they've seen The Ring. And for that matter I don't even know what any of those horror movies you listed are. Sure I know I'm lame and all, but yeah, The Ring was pretty popular. Also, why not list Scream? Not a horror movie, really?
Scream came out in 1996

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I wasn't arguing that a lot of people had seen The Ring, I was saying it wasn't very well respected and by that I mean that it didn't exactly get a lot of critical acclaim. You do realize that a movie being popular doesn't reflect on its level of "respect" right? How many critics are lauding Fast and Furious 93 or whatever one is out right now? Not very many at all, yet the movie made $120 million last weekend. As for Scre4m, I don't remember it being acclaimed either so obviously that's why I didn't list it.

Swamps

Laughs At Stupid People
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
batista
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
One reason that the general American public may look down upon the horror genre is.because of movies like the Human Centipede movies. In all honesty, I haven't seen and won't see them (especially the 2nd due to there.being a rape scene) because I'm not into stuff like that.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Alright well then what about Insidious then? A high grossing film, won some awards and got mostly positive critical review AND most of the people I know have seen it and like it. I have never even met a person who was just straight up like "horror movies are lame". I know people too afraid to watch them but I haven't encountered a single human being who just looks down on it like it's not worthy of their viewing. Some critics might see it that way but that's only because no horror movie ever stands a chance at winning an Oscar or Golden Globe except for maybe an original score or something. The main reason I'm sure being that horror movies aren't as 'captivating' as the emotional performances in movies like The Silver Linings Playbook or The Pursuit of Happiness. Those movies feature compelling characters in real world situations with really dramatic sequences and what most would consider 'a purpose'. Horror films are nice but at the same time we rarely get the chance to invest in a dynamic character, the only emotions ever on display are depression and fear, maybe a little anger in the instances when a would-be victim gets the chance to destroy a menacing serial killer, and we all know how the movie is going to play out after all. A bunch if people are going to die or be tortured or hurt and half the time there will be a survivor or two and in some cases there are none. That's not really disrespecting the genre, just breaking it down for the most part. And really one of the prevailing factors is that any quality horror film that is released is usually released by an independent studio or a less commercial one at least and one of the main reason films win awards is because of the marketing put into them at the right time of the year. It's not always about the quality of the film, sadly.