Am I Just Burned Out?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
And Vince is complacent. He can be. He still makes Shit loads of money and isn't going anywhere. He's concerted with 4 quarters of the year and it's funny how you'll see WWE pick up around then: Rumble, mania, summerslam, and survivor series. Otherwise, as long as a steady cash flow is coming in, Vince could give 2 fucks about having in depth storylines and feuds unless those 4 PPV are coming up. Match quality can suck, raw can pull okay ratings, smackdown, nxt whatever. He's okay with it. It's like what punk said, "the WWE will make money in spite of itself."

They have the kid market and that keeps the money coming in as they can repeat similar storylines, matches, and feuds, and only people that have been watching for years on end will catch onto the bs and realize how bad wrestling has become.

It's not to say that Vince isn't worried about losing ratings and such, he is and may push the envelope of "creativity" a little more here and there, but he only really cares about his quarters, that's it.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
You're probably burned out. No problem with visiting other promotions for your wrestling fix. Or just taking a break.

As for the non-PG vs PG argument. Any writer who says he needs the non PG because of freedom to write is a hack.

If your creativity is based around a regulation system for how much violence/skin you can show you have no business working as a professional writer of any kind. Same way that a wrestler who's only notable skill is making people bleed seldom become a big deal in wrestling.

To quote former deathmatch wrestler/current NXT ref Drake Wuertz: "Sure, do some hardcore here and there. But don't make it your bread and butter because then that's the only way you're going to get paid".

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
You're probably burned out. No problem with visiting other promotions for your wrestling fix. Or just taking a break.

As for the non-PG vs PG argument. Any writer who says he needs the non PG because of freedom to write is a hack.

If your creativity is based around a regulation system for how much violence/skin you can show you have no business working as a professional writer of any kind. Same way that a wrestler who's only notable skill is making people bleed seldom become a big deal in wrestling.

To quote former deathmatch wrestler/current NXT ref Drake Wuertz: "Sure, do some hardcore here and there. But don't make it your bread and butter because then that's the only way you're going to get paid".
Not to get into the PG vs Non PG argument again, but this just isn't true to me at all. That's like saying movies like "The Dark Knight" could have been PG and just as provoking and intense... I think not. Sure, it could have a great story, compelling scenes, but it would lack and overall serious persona and intensity that you get with a PG-13 rating. I'm not saying that it's the end all be all, of course it's not. But to act like it doesn't help it at all is crazy.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Not to get into the PG vs Non PG argument again, but this just isn't true to me at all. That's like saying movies like "The Dark Knight" could have been PG and just as provoking and intense... I think not. Sure, it could have a great story, compelling scenes, but it would lack and overall serious persona and intensity that you get with a PG-13 rating. I'm not saying that it's the end all be all, of course it's not. But to act like it doesn't help it at all is crazy.
I agree that the PG vs non PG debate deserves a thread of its own. So I'll say this final thing before dropping it.

In what world does PG mean not serious or intense? The PG rating puts limits on graphical violence, not seriousness of story and content.

To move back to the original topic at hand. I basically only watch the wrestling that interest me right now, and my fandom is much better of for it. I still keep track of what happens in the WWE so if there is something that catches my eye I can make room to watch it. But the moment I stopped allotting all the time it takes to watch WWE programming in my week and put that into other promotions and other interests I was much better off.

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score

I actually agree with something Stopspot said for once, and this deeply concerns me.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
A Study On WWE Viewer Demographics Showed An Interesting Trend

The statement of it being watched mainly by teens and kids is a myth. WWEs viewership is majority adults
Bs study. The goal of WWE is to target kids now. There's more money to be had. It makes sense too. The only thing that's gong to drag parents to these events and order the WWE network is kids. PG rating was also made for that reason: kids. I'm
Not saying that study is complete shit. But even in my personal life I've noticed Shit loads more kids tuning in now than ever.

Black Iron PJ

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I'll say it once and I'll say it 1000 times more PG is shit for wrestling. I'm not talking about match qualities and how there should be chair shots to the head or blood. No. I'm talking about purely at a creative storyline stand point. The PG politically correct guideline is a creativity killer. This is a show, written by adults, performed by adults, and watched mostly by adults! Yet we have to deal with programming that's on the same level at Spongebob Square Pants. Where is the drama? Where is the controversy? Where are the storylines that are like car crashes and make u wanna look away but u can't help but watch to see what happens next? It's gone, and that's why WWE is so stale. Athletics will only get u so far in a FAKE sport.
It's honestly a lack of motivation that's killing it. You can create compelling and emotional stories with a PG rating, Pixar does it on an nearly annual bases. When you have to write for not only adults, but for everyone, then that means you have to actually be, well, creative with your writing. That sort of limitation allows writing to be scrutinized and reevaluated in order for it to work. But the thing is, if the writing, the stories, the characters, all of it sucks and there's nothing that can stop it and say "No, it needs to be better or else something will happen" then what's the point of making it better. Yeah WWE is losing it's fans more and more, but so? They have built a marketing empire, Wrestlemania is a major media trend every year, they don't even need to create worthwhile content, they just need a former well known wrestler to come back to immediately trend on social media, hardcore fans that are sick and tired of Raw, just let Triple H do his little NXT Takeover magic and bam, they're back to watching your weekly shit show. They are about creating moments that happen just enough that they aren't common so that they can get people to talk again and then can coast off for a few more months with lazy, shit, writing.
You mentioned watching other promotions, as you and I have talked about in the past, but this entire rant was almost 100% directed at WWE. Have you tried any alternatives lately? Are you willing to try alternatives? Or is it professional wrestling as a whole that you have grown tired of? My feeling is that just because someone didn't enjoy Titanic doesn't mean they won't enjoy any other movie. WWE is possibly at an all time low right now, but the rest of the wrestling world is soaring pretty high. You know I'm here any time to talk about this shit with you dude, public or private, just hit me up
In a few weeks I'm going to watch the G1 Special hosted in Long Beach, this'll pretty much be the big decision of whether or not I should take a break on wrestling. To me, alternatives are nice, but I'm not looking for them. It's like, not enjoying Titanic, but every other movie is a disaster movie. Sure CZW, NJPW, ROH, and PROGRESS may all have better stories, booking, wrestlers, or sometimes production value, but it's still cut from the same cloth. My problems with WWE can be be seen separately in some promotions I watch, it's just that WWE has all of these problems. I'm just tired of professional wrestling right now, it's been a constant of my life for nearly 7 years, I need some time off. The G1 Special will probably the last wrestling show I'll watch for awhile unless it really blows my mind and reignites my passion of wrestling.

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
Bs study. The goal of WWE is to target kids now. There's more money to be had. It makes sense too. The only thing that's gong to drag parents to these events and order the WWE network is kids. PG rating was also made for that reason: kids. I'm
Not saying that study is complete shit. But even in my personal life I've noticed Shit loads more kids tuning in now than ever.

Dave Melzer has recently said the average age of a WWE fan is around 49 or 50.

Put simply the hard core have been watching since Hogan.

Hell I am 38 and 1st watched in 1988, I did not watch any wrestling from 1999-2016 though although I followed some of the big stories via the media (Eddie, Benoit) and started to get interested again after Warrior died.

Companies are also figuring out that older people have more money than younger people and the kids of the 80's playing video games a few of them are still playing games- and watching wrestling. When the kids leave home and the mortgage is paid you have a lot of disposable income (I don't have kids, mortgage is almost paid).

PG doesn't inherently mean bad, I would say 90% of the best wrestling ever was PG.

The Star Wars movies for example are PG, you need a good story.

Ratings are down, attendance at the big 4 is way up compared to the 80s, and 90's. The remaining fanbase is spending more than they ever have. Seems to indicate an aging demograph. You can see the effect comparing album charts to what bands make money by touring. Some oldies group like the Rolling Stones will rake in more money than some new group because oldies will pay 200-1000 for a ticket+ airfares and accommodation.

Hell some of the older people I know will fly to another country to see a concert or even fly to another country for a weekend shopping trip. My wife flew to Australia to see Pearl Jam- a 90's band.

Last edited:

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
It's honestly a lack of motivation that's killing it. You can create compelling and emotional stories with a PG rating, Pixar does it on an nearly annual bases. When you have to write for not only adults, but for everyone, then that means you have to actually be, well, creative with your writing. That sort of limitation allows writing to be scrutinized and reevaluated in order for it to work. But the thing is, if the writing, the stories, the characters, all of it sucks and there's nothing that can stop it and say "No, it needs to be better or else something will happen" then what's the point of making it better. Yeah WWE is losing it's fans more and more, but so? They have built a marketing empire, Wrestlemania is a major media trend every year, they don't even need to create worthwhile content, they just need a former well known wrestler to come back to immediately trend on social media, hardcore fans that are sick and tired of Raw, just let Triple H do his little NXT Takeover magic and bam, they're back to watching your weekly shit show. They are about creating moments that happen just enough that they aren't common so that they can get people to talk again and then can coast off for a few more months with lazy, shit, writing.

In a few weeks I'm going to watch the G1 Special hosted in Long Beach, this'll pretty much be the big decision of whether or not I should take a break on wrestling. To me, alternatives are nice, but I'm not looking for them. It's like, not enjoying Titanic, but every other movie is a disaster movie. Sure CZW, NJPW, ROH, and PROGRESS may all have better stories, booking, wrestlers, or sometimes production value, but it's still cut from the same cloth. My problems with WWE can be be seen separately in some promotions I watch, it's just that WWE has all of these problems. I'm just tired of professional wrestling right now, it's been a constant of my life for nearly 7 years, I need some time off. The G1 Special will probably the last wrestling show I'll watch for awhile unless it really blows my mind and reignites my passion of wrestling.
First part directed at the other guy is spot on. Perfect assessment of the WWE and the PG rating.

Second part, though...the G1 special? If that's your bar to clear, with it basically just being a ROH show with more usage of NJPW guys, you may as well skip it and start your break now unless you're actually gonna be there live lol. Did you watch Dominion? If not, watch that and I personally feel like that would be a great alternative test for you. Just my opinion, though. Like I said, I know how you feel, and if you decide to take a break from it, then do it regardless of what any of us say. You know my reason for stopping WWE at least, and if you feel like you're either forcing yourself to watch it (wrestling of any sort) or if you're watching it and just finding yourself complaining about it but still continuing to watch it, then taking a break for however long will certainly be the best decision you can make.

El Curry

Kids See Ghosts
Reaction score
Yeah I don't have the time to watch the shows, but even if I had the time I know I I wouldn't watch them. I'm not interested by it anymore like I watch RR,WM and maybe the RAW after WM but that's it I also check the grades for the shows and maybe watch a few clips, but I'm not fully engaged in it. There is so much that pisses me off about the product and I'm just ahh who cares.

DualShock

Jobber
Reaction score
I watch pro wrestling since the early 90s with WrestleMania VI being my first PPV and I have watched every promotion possible in the last 27 years and this is possible the worst era in WWE ever and I know why.
Pro wrestling might be "fake" for the fans of real combat sports but there is something pro wrestling always had what others will never have no matter how hard they try and that is the unique type of entertainment that made it special.
Example WrestleMania XIV: Only in pro wrestling you can have a show where in one night a band is ruining America The Beautiful, a flying Japanese was defending his title, a deadman is fighting his burned half brother who tried to kill him 2 months earlier and then have Mike Tyson as the enforcer in a world title match.
or WrestleMania XV: In one night you have Boyz II Men singing, a giant is punching his own boss, Richy Rich is defending his European title with his friends in attendance who look like Carlton Banks and a hanging of a prison guard in the middle of the ring.
All the sports can have fireworks, half-naked women, video packages and commercials but nothing can touch pro wrestling when it comes to show and entertainment.
The problem with the current era is they try to compete with the currently highly popular combat sports by trying to be more real than them.
In the past it was always "Maybe you are real but you will never have characters like Warrior, Hogan, Rock, Savage, Sting and that's why people will always watch us". Today it's "Maybe you are real but we will be more real".
Today the most storylines are "2 guys fighting to show who is the best athlete" all the tournaments, UK tournaments, cruiserweight tournaments, women tournaments, finding out who is the better man, they try too much to be real hoping to get more fans who already watch MMA but the problem is nobody wants this crap. if you can have a choice between a real fight between 2 guys who want to find out who is the best athlete and a scripted fight where competitors pretend to do that what would you watch? People need over the top entertainment to chose the "fake shit" over a real fight.
Everybody knew what Hogan did back then was only show but his charisma, storylines and entertainment made the people choose this "fake fighter" over 2 boring real fighters. Today WWE tries to compete agains 2 boring real fighters with 2 boring fake fighters

People compare this era to the New Generation era, no, no matter how embarrassing WWF 1995 was at least they tried to entertain, no matter how much it sucked. This right here is AWA during the last days shit

Reactions: Black Iron PJ