Alberto Del Rio: Expectations

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

pumpt73

Reaction score
I won't base my expectations on promos. That's something he'll have to hone later on, but the guy has serious skills. Fellas, this guy was on the Mexican National Wrestling team. Some may snicker, but he's got credentials. He won his weight class in Greco Roman 3 times each in the Central American and Carribean Games. Finished 3rd at the 1997 World Jr. Championships, and medaled at the Pan Am Games. He's also got a 9-5 professional MMA record, with 7 wins coming via submission. Granted he hasn't defeated anyone of note, but he has fought CroCop (which CroCop KO'd him in under 50 seconds), but went the distance with MMA journeman, Kazuhiro Nakamura. From what I've read, he's trained in MMA under former UFC champion, Marco Ruas.

With all that background added into his professional wrestling ability, Id say my expectations, ring wise, are pretty high. I have a feeling you'll see him holding a secondary championship within 6 months, if not sooner.

Reaction score
He should win the IC title belt, but ruin it by making his own variation with a huge mexican flag and a bunch of shiny looking platinum. It would give him even more heel heat. It'd get some cheap heat, but it'd be funny as well.

Airfixx

Reaction score
^^^Shame the US title isn't on SD atm, because that would have been pure gold to see him re-christen it to the Mexican title!

Reaction score
^^^Shame the US title isn't on SD atm, because that would have been pure gold to see him re-christen it to the Mexican title!

Ahh good point! Right now in the US there's alot of controversy regarding illegal immigration crackdown, and this would be a cheap heat way to garner some mainstream press attention.

nation

Reaction score

I'd stop watching SD tbh. How the fuck you can be proud to be from Mexico is fucking beyond me.

NinoBrown

Reaction score
Del Rio, I like him. Wrestlers coming in with vignettes have been miss mostly but his guy can wrestle. Only one I can really remember was Kizarny and that guy sucked, I don't care if he couldn't adapt to the WWE. That fool sucked balls! Plus he can tap into the Mexican audience that the E depends on Mysterio to bring it. Only thing that's kinda dumb is he's got his own ring announcer but drives his own car.

I noticed last night when he wrestled Matt Hardy, the sound guys amped up that enziguri because on the reply it sounded like half of what it was when they broadcasted live. The power of television.

Reaction score
^^ What about R-Truth? He debuted from Vignettes and he's been here a while.

Truths vignettes were pretty great. Someone posted a link in a different thread of one of his and I loved it. The army/millitary background along with his badass attitude seemed as though it could only succeed. However, It didn't. He is a watered down face who can't rap and is stuck in a gimmick in which he is useless at. I want him to turn heel so badly.

imported_Adam

Reaction score
It aint broke but its gonna be soon. He might not even need a new gimmick but he definitely needs a new entrance song. Maybe he can stop singing it too, if its a decent song and he sings it well but "WHATS UP!" is getting annoying after, whats it been? 2 YEARS????

Reaction score
You point out that it's been working remarkably well for two years, thus proving it has longevity and is effective, but also say he needs new music now? Dear god.

And if you can't tell that Del Rio is a far superior wrestler than Truth, you're mentally just not all there.

Reaction score
Del Rio is far better than Truth. It's too early to know is a false statement. Did you not see the inziguri that Rio did on SD? He is brilliant.

I want Truth to change. He has boring promos and does the same stupid stuff every week. He runs to the ring shouting WHATS UP then loses to someone.. The potential he showed in those vignettes were amazing.