A lot of praise for AJ Lee

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
WWE: How AJ Lee Can Change the Divas Division for the Better

By Sharon Glencross
(Featured Columnist) on July 4, 2012

tumblr_lq90k6WmQy1qc6yqqo1_400_crop_exact.png

[SIZE=-0]Over the past few months former NXT star AJ Lee has emerged as the breakout star of WWE’s Divas division. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]Indeed, while most of the other women on the roster are continually ignored by WWE’s indifferent booking team—including current Divas Champion Layla El—AJ has managed to secure herself a ton of airtime and attention in her current storyline with WWE Champion CM Punk and Daniel Bryan.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]This is partly due to great writing.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]The CM Punk/AJ/Daniel Bryan love triangle is one of the most gripping soap-opera-style story lines WWE has ever had. It is also carefully well-paced and has been allowed to develop in its own time—something rather surprising considering the booking team’s propensity to frantically rush through things.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]But the angle is also taking off due to AJ’s terrific, unique character.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]A Diva character like no other, AJ is as cute as a button, wickedly funny and has a hugely endearing personality. She’s also highly unstable and prone to wild, sometimes violent mood swings. Neither Punk nor Daniel seems to know what to make of her—not that they’re not still interested.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]Even a WWE commentator took time to praise the Diva in a recent blog post, dubbing her WWE’s breakout star for 2012.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]He wrote:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]"Is there really any debate? It has to be AJ who has taken the opportunities provided her, the creative input she's received and has made her role bigger than I'm sure many perceived that it would ever become. Obviously, AJ waited for her opportunity and maximized her minutes no matter how few or how insignificant that they may have seemed at the time."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]As the storyline unfolds, the enigmatic Diva has kept everyone guessing as to her true intentions and, with the Punk/Bryan championship match coming up at Money in the Bank, this storyline looks set to continue even longer. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]However, when it runs its course it is clear that AJ’s next step should be to return to being a full-time wrestler and rejuvenate WWE’s stale and going-nowhere Divas division.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]For one thing, she is hugely over with the fans and would make an ideal babyface female star in the mould of Amy “Lita” Dumas (who was incredibly popular in 2000 and 2001 with her fun tomboy persona.). [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]Similar to Dumas, AJ is vastly different from the generic crop of WWE Divas on the roster and stands out for that reason. Rather than being overtly glamorous or portraying a sexy image, AJ comes off as more a girl-next-door type with a nerdy sense of humour—a big part of her allure for many fans. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]With this in mind, it is easy to envisage a Divas Division centred around popular underdog star AJ as she competes for and attempts to win the Divas Championship.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]While fans may not currently care much about women’s wrestling in WWE (the company hasn’t really given them a reason to), they will likely find themselves rooting for AJ—and the division will overall get more over. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]There are also a ton of fresh feuds and story lines for AJ in the division.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]She could battle a returning Kharma. Or feud with veteran diva Beth Phoenix (Phoenix is also desperate for a new challenge having taken on the likes of Kelly Kelly, Alicia Fox and Layla El too many times to count). Or even reform The Chickbusters tag team with old friend Kaitlyn.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]There are a great deal of opportunities.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]Summarily the charismatic, majorly-over AJ is exactly the star who can turn around WWE’s plodding women’s division and establish it as relevant again. Her promo work in the current love-triangle storyline proves she can carry the division as a personality, and as one of the women to come to WWE with indie experience she certainly can hold her own in the ring, too.

[/SIZE][SIZE=-0]Come on, Vince! Give her a run with the Divas Championship! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]
Credit to Bleacher Report

[/SIZE]
Why AJ Lee Is WWE's Best On-Screen Character

By Chris B
(Correspondent) on July 3, 2012

1_crop_exact.jpg
One of AJ's many unreadable expressions.

The world of professional wrestling hardly ever produces the types of characters that make you think you're genuinely watching a television show.
You never really connect with them on a deeper level beyond '"I love him/her" or "I hate him/her." The reason for this is that they have no character depth.
Wrestling is truly just recycled stories one after the other with different events interchanged over and over again.
That's why I have to take this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to praise WWE and AJ herself for creating a true character and story in AJ Lee.
I have to stress character because I think the world of professional wrestling has confused viewers on what a character actually is. This is the definition as seen on thefreedictionary.com:
The combination of qualities or features that distinguishes one person, group, or thing from another.
While on the surface it seems there are a lot of characters in wrestling, based off of this description of the word, people more often than not look past the fact that those characters have no depth.
They have no deep-rooted motivating factors that stem from what went on in their past or is going on in their head.
AJ Lee is not just another wrestler who wants the title and in turn hates the title holder—she actually has depth.
AJ Lee puts CM Punk and Daniel Bryan through a table.
Last night, by creating a pseudo-suicide, with a wooden table of all things, AJ became more than "the crazy girl next door."
Every single twitch, pull, and change in her mannerisms revealed a lot about her. Not to mention the epic "save the psycho princess who ends up killing her two loves" moment with CM Punk and Daniel Bryan.
It developed her backstory to the point where we now know that what AJ really longs for is love and attention. But she also wants to show she's not weak and doesn't need a counterpart to find fulfillment.
She wants to have her cake and eat it too.
And she is.
I could go on for days analyzing the enigma that is AJ Lee.
That in and of itself shows that she truly is WWE's best on-screen character.

Credit to Bleacher Report

I have to agree with these reports. AJ is what the divas division needs right now. She is extremely charismatic, OVER with the crowd and she can wrestle. I am a huge Lita fan and even I can notice the similarities between AJ and Lita. They can both wrestle, the fans LOVE them, they have been involved with significant male wrestlers and they aren't similar to the other divas. Although, I do find AJ a little bit annoying at times, I can't help but enjoy her character. She leaves me wondering what she will do next and it makes me proud to see that the fans are cheering so much for a female wrestler. We haven't seen this since Lita was at her peak back in 2000-2001. If they continue to use her properly, she may be the only person that can save the women's division.

What do you think?

[SIZE=-0]

[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Mr.Mayhem

Reaction score
Aj is best "Diva" in WWE right now . She maynot be a good wrestler , i dont know , never saw her in-ring , but on mic and specially those "killer" facial Expresions are priceless , I dont think anyother diva can do what AJ is doing. They way she plays her character is really awesome . I mean when do you see a Women ending Raw . The last time we saw this was back in attitude era . I think let her do what she is doing right now . and then after the character gets old , put the title on her .

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
She is a good wrestler, at least she was on NXT Season 3. Plus, Shining Wizard finish = :mark:

Reactions: 1 person

Mr.Mayhem

Reaction score
The best thing is , She was a wrestling fan prior to coming to WWE unlike most of the Models here . There is video on youtube of her , crying while she was meeting Lita in an autograph session .

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Don't really see how she is being praised for her ring work, when the girl doesn't even know how to run the ropes properly, but whatever.

She is tiny, cute and charsimatic. Probably a diva, who could actually be around for more than 3 years. So, it would be smart to build the division around her.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I don't know or care what her matches are like but I just caught up with all her bits on the last few Raw and Smackdowns and she's great.

I love her thing with Punk and Kane. Danielson can go f*ck himself though.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
Is it me or didn't anybody enjoy Layla vs. AJ last week?

I enjoyed it, give her time and she will be good in the ring.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I didn't really care for the match too much, but it was better than Divas matches normally are. And I can't remember the last Diva who could run the ropes properly, Deezy, AJ does it better than most.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I have to agree with these reports. AJ is what the divas division needs right now. She is extremely charismatic, OVER with the crowd and she can wrestle. I am a huge Lita fan and even I can notice the similarities between AJ and Lita. They can both wrestle, the fans LOVE them, they have been involved with significant male wrestlers and they aren't similar to the other divas. Although, I do find AJ a little bit annoying at times, I can't help but enjoy her character. She leaves me wondering what she will do next and it makes me proud to see that the fans are cheering so much for a female wrestler. We haven't seen this since Lita was at her peak back in 2000-2001. If they continue to use her properly, she may be the only person that can save the women's division.

What do you think?
While AJ is currently doing a great job and is pretty damn entertaining, i'm sort of getting the feeling it's going to go the same way it did when they were building Kelly Kelly properly to be the face of the division. If you remember she was sorta aligned with Edge and they were feuding with Vickie and whoever the guy was and it really got her over, but then after that her feuds were effortless, she got no mic time and was just doing the standard divas matches and I just can't help but think the same will happen with AJ. There's going to come a point soon when she's not in the middle of a feud between the WWE Champion and the #1 Contender who are naturally going to get a fair bunch of tv time and promo time, that's when we'll really be able to tell what she's about.

As far as comparisons go, I don't really see any comparisons with Lita, but quite a fair few with Mickie. AJ's character is alot like Mickie's debut character and all the the traits she showed throughout the feud with Trish. She's also very similar in height but I just can't get into AJ's ringwork, I think it's probably because of her height because while Mickie was the same height as her, she looked legit in there and I just don't get that from AJ at all. I don't think you have to go back as far as 2000-01 for a time when people were last into a female wrestler, but you still have to go many a year back to the Trish/Mickie angle which also was probably the last awesome booked womens angle they did.

Last edited:

Mr.Mayhem

Reaction score
While AJ is currently doing a great job and is pretty damn entertaining, i'm sort of getting the feeling it's going to go the same way it did when they were building Kelly Kelly properly to be the face of the division. If you remember she was sorta aligned with Edge and they were feuding with Vickie and whoever the guy was and it really got her over, but then after that her feuds were effortless, she got no mic time and was just doing the standard divas matches and I just can't help but think the same will happen with AJ. There's going to come a point soon when she's not in the middle of a feud between the WWE Champion and the #1 Contender who are naturally going to get a fair bunch of tv time and promo time, that's when we'll really be able to tell what she's about.

As far as comparisons go, I don't really see any comparisons with Lita, but quite a fair few with Mickie. AJ's character is alot like Mickie's debut character and all the the traits she showed throughout the feud with Trish. She's also very similar in height but I just can't get into AJ's ringwork, I think it's probably because of her height because while Mickie was the same height as her, she looked legit in there and I just don't get that from AJ at all. I don't think you have to go back as far as 2000-01 for a time when people were last into a female wrestler, but you still have to go many a year back to the Trish/Mickie angle which also was probably the last awesome booked womens angle they did.

Agree with you , but kelly kelly was usless on mic and had no facial expressions , unlike AJ . She is best chick on-min in WWE right now . Her Expressions are awesome and realistic . Kelly Kelly was a hot blonde but bland . I never saw anything special other than T&A in kelly kelly .

Kahuna

Reaction score
I could kind of compare her to early Trish - not in the sense of looks or why she was hired, but because she became a part of the company in such an elaborate way that tells you she may be around for a while.

I think the majority of Diva's are a waste of time, I think a lot of them are annoying, moronic, irrelevant, time wasting and life sucking (probably among other things) but even though Im not really a fan of AJ, she has become relevant and is making a name for herself much like Trish did when she first entered in.

I see good things for her in the future, but I don't think I'd care either way if she were to be diva's champ or even have the division revolve around her. Shes doing fine as a wild card.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I never saw anything special other than T&A in kelly kelly .

Kelly had no tits.

Unless you mean Test & Albert, in which case you have the wrong blond chick.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
AJ is freakin awesome. I tune in to Raw just to watch her. She plays her role just right. Most of the divas are just bland. Finally one has character.

Reaction score
Don't really see how she is being praised for her ring work, when the girl doesn't even know how to run the ropes properly, but whatever.

She is tiny, cute and charsimatic. Probably a diva, who could actually be around for more than 3 years. So, it would be smart to build the division around her.

They aren't praising her for her in ring work. They are stating that her character has developed tremendously and that she has the potential to draw interest to the divas division again. Although AJ may not be the best wrestler yet, she is definitely bearable to watch in the ring and she can continue to improve in the ring. I am sure she will because she is so passionate about wrestling.

I hope that they will continue to use her once this feud is over. I am sure that she will end up with either Daniel Bryan or CM Punk and if she does, we will see more intergender matches and hopefully, we will see her evolve as a singles competitor as well. After a couple of years, the WWE has finally found a diva that the WWE audience is interested in, I hope they don't mess this up.

I don't think AJ Lee is completely like Lita either but as the article stated, they have both been very popular on their own, different from the other divas and they can wrestle in the ring. Lita wasn't a typical diva, she was more of a tomboy which people liked about her. I get the same vibe from AJ. In terms of her character, she definitely resembles Mickie James the most.

I do agree that the Mickie/Trish feud was the last interesting rivalry that we have seen in the company but I don't think the writer is focusing so much on rivalries; rather she is stating that in terms of popularity and originality, AJ resembles Lita back in 2000-2001.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
She has clearly been money in this feud and seems to have the potential to at least be average in the ring, I could see her being a talented version of Kelly Kelly for sure. Kelly was a good athlete but never worked the mic or the ring well.