2014 NFL Offseason Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Decker>Maclin
Both are #2 WRs IMO. Decker an elite, top tier WR2/borderline WR1, Maclin a sort of run of the mill WR2. Overpaying for him would be a mistake. Any WR2 can play across from DeSean with the coverage he demands. Riley KKKooper proved it last season.

Vice

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
:yes: You were right all along, man.

Yeah, McClain is definitely gone, so is Koch who wasn't very good last year, As you say Leach is the tough one, Harbaugh and Kubiak obviously love the guy, but is he so valuable to the resurgence of the run game that they HAVE to keep him around? Only they know the answer to that.

Early estimates have us at 17-18 mil after the Suggs restructuring, so that leaves the Pitta question. According to the Sun, Pitta took 79% of his offensive snaps as a slot receiver (even more than Graham) so an arbitrator would rule in his favor in the whole "6.5 mil vs 11.5 mil" franchise tag debate. There's no way they can tie 11.5 mil up in Dennis Pitta (would they in Monroe?), so Ebron looks to be the pick unless one of the stud receivers unexpectedly falls to us. Would rather them go that route but we may as well just address WR and RT in free agency. Right tackles and #2 receivers grow on trees, guys like Ebron don't. :eek:tunga:
Next season just looks so damn bright. Ozzie has a knack for making brilliant unexpected moves. I think we're looking at an 11-5 or maybe even 12-4 season. I'm pumped up for the combine to see how some potential prospects do. Nothing but optimism man. Anyway, what's your take on the Ray Rice/Fiancee incident?

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Next season just looks so damn bright. Ozzie has a knack for making brilliant unexpected moves. I think we're looking at an 11-5 or maybe even 12-4 season. I'm pumped up for the combine to see how some potential prospects do. Nothing but optimism man. Anyway, what's your take on the Ray Rice/Fiancee incident?
Damn, I hate to call this "blind" optimism.... but... what am I missing? Baltimore's O Line sucked last year, Flacco is what he is, no RB to speak of, 1 playmaker on the outside, possibly losing PItta defense isn't what it generally is when you think Ravens (12th in points and yards last year).

From my POV they need a lot of help for that floundering offense and at least a few more pieces on defense if they want to elevate themselves back to the level people expect from Baltimore.

Vice

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Damn, I hate to call this "blind" optimism.... but... what am I missing? Baltimore's O Line sucked last year, Flacco is what he is, no RB to speak of, 1 playmaker on the outside, possibly losing PItta defense isn't what it generally is when you think Ravens (12th in points and yards last year).

From my POV they need a lot of help for that floundering offense and at least a few more pieces on defense if they want to elevate themselves back to the level people expect from Baltimore.
To address to O-Line: While the offensive line was abysmal, the return of Osemele should give it a hell of a boost. Shipley was arguably the worst player on the line last year (in a close race with Oher) Oher is almost certainly not coming back next year, to be honest, I'd rather have Wagner over there. I believe that we'll pick up a replacement via FA or draft (probably draft if the market is barren) Yanda and Monroe are two of the best at their position. The question mark is Center. Gradkowski was a flub and I'm not sure if Ryan Jensen can pick up the slack.

Kubiak's system revolves around the run, Rice was dealing with lingering hip and thigh injuries, coupled by an O-Line that even Shahid Khan wouldn't touch, it's a wonder he ran for over 600 yards. The same goes for Pierce, the injury bug had a ball with him. Though none were too serious (except for his shoulder which lead to offseason surgery) they were noticeably hindering him. I think that with all these factors working against them, it's unwise to conclude that they don't have anything left in the tank.

Flacco is.....interesting. You're correct about him, I can simply go on history, he's fared significantly better with a QB Coach than without. We'll just have to see, but I still have trust in Flacco.

Torrey Smith is a solid #1 reciever, Jacoby Jones and Marlon Brown are both #3's. What we need and will address is a #2 receiver, the draft is filled to the fucking brim with those.
Should we lose Pitta, we could look to trade up for Ebron and take a quality WR in the 2nd.

As for the defense, it's hard to predict how the unit will develop, there's so many variables to take into perspective that only Ozzie knows what he has in mind. It will certainly be an interesting offseason.

I wouldn't call this 'blind' optimism in any sense of the word. I suppose that these outcomes would be the best possible but damn straight it's possible.

Reactions: Snowman1

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
So Pitta is going to do the "Hey if you tag me I'm really a WR, bro!" argument?

lol, these teams need to start lining their TEs up at TE more.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I posted that Friday (see page 34 of this thread)

But, yeah, Dale Hansen nailed it with this... the NFL.. the whole damn country for that matter, is so damn hypocritical it's crazy.
Good piece of journalism!
Another good one:

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I don't think most players give a damn. And the ones that do will keep their mouths shut because they are in the vast minority of ignoramuses.

Reactions: Vice and Stopspot

Stopspot

Reaction score
I don't think most players give a damn. And the ones that do will keep their mouths shut because they are in the vast minority of ignoramuses.
Yup. It's the players reactions that matter, not the execs.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Yup. It's the players reactions that matter, not the execs.
Sadly the media's reaction matters the most, and they are already doing everything they can to fuck shit up. They try to help, god bless, but they are just so fucking awful at their jobs. I could see teams avoiding Sam because of the media circus that will follow him.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Sadly the media's reaction matters the most, and they are already doing everything they can to fuck shit up. They try to help, god bless, but they are just so fucking awful at their jobs. I could see teams avoiding Sam because of the media circus that will follow him.
True. If media gets out of hand it just becomes a circus.

A couple of years back (I think 2010-2011) we had our first professional soccer player coming out over here. Young talented kid named Tobias Hysén. It started becoming a media circus but the kid managed to handle it well and quell it. But the American media is a completely different beast all together. And tobias had the double edged sword in being a second generation player. His dad is a Swedish Nationals team legend and a legend at Liverpool and his big bro is on our current national squad.
Not sure how they managed to handle the media but they did it well.

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
Reaction score
True. If media gets out of hand it just becomes a circus.

A couple of years back (I think 2010-2011) we had our first professional soccer player coming out over here. Young talented kid named Tobias Hysén. It started becoming a media circus but the kid managed to handle it well and quell it. But the American media is a completely different beast all together. And tobias had the double edged sword in being a second generation player. His dad is a Swedish Nationals team legend and a legend at Liverpool and his big bro is on our current national squad.
Not sure how they managed to handle the media but they did it well.

Jason Collins got through it just fine... Michael Sam will get drafted.. there will be a media circus... but 6 months or less after that it will all be forgotten.

Reactions: Wacokid27
Status
Not open for further replies.