2014 NFL Offseason Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Been seeing the Tuck/Woodley deals were mainly done to get Oakland over the salary floor since they were relying on the 16 mil for Saffold to do that. They may wind up taking the really slow burn and building through the draft. Good luck with that.
Its pretty obvious these short term moves are just to get us over the floor. It was our same "approach" last year, though more understandable at the time because we weren't fucking RICH as SHIT. But this year, we needed to bring in young talent even if it meant paying (NOT Saffold).

I am fine with a slow burn build. I really am. BUT the problem is that Reggie has been an absolutely god awful water trash drafter.

2012 Draft (this was the "Hue Jackson" draft where half our picks were traded away for crap)
Round 3: Tony Bergstorm- First off he was old as fuck because he was Mormon. Like 24-25 when we drafted him. This first pick showed Reggie's tendency to go with "versatility" over "productivty" right off the bat. Dude was supposed to be a RT but could play guard as well, turns out he can play neither. Berg can't stay healthy and will never contribute. Career backup if he even carves out that career. Grade 2/10
Round 4: Miles Burris-
this pick continues to show Reggie's "Choir boy" mentality, as Burris was billed as a LB with "high character/motor and effort". Well shit man, you need TALENT in the NFL. Another completely pedestrian pick in the same mold as Bergstorm. Never had a chance to become a difference maker in the league. He started some as a rookie, but out of necessity, not because he was worth a damn. 3.5/10
Round 5: Jack Crawford-
He is from fucking England. Didn't move to the US until 2005. Complete dog shit, another wtf were you thinking move? I'd be shocked if he is still with the team come next season. Grade: 0/10
Round 5: Juron Criner-
I loved Criner at Arizona and this was the one pick from the 2012 draft I liked. He hasn't really panned out, except some preseason flashes. Grade: 3/10
Round 6: Christo Bilukidi-
Actually seemed to have some promise, so we cut him. He is a Bengal now. 4/10
Round 7: Nathan Stupar-
Another choir boy pick with a severe lack of talent. 0/10
Round 7: Rod Streeter
- The crown jewel of Reggie's drafting so far, he netted us a potential WR2 in the 7th round. 7/10

2013 Draft
Round 1- DJ Hayden-
A pretty horrific pick all things considered. 1.) We traded down from 3 to 13 and got terrible value for the move, only netting an extra second. Then we take a CB... yes.. CB.. that nearly died on the field last time he was playing. Now, he shows promise, but he is a long way off and pretty brittle. Considering we could have had a D Line piece like Star Lotulelei or Sheldon Richardson, the pick was suspect at best. Grade: 4/10
Round 2- Menelik Watson-
2nd UK fuck he drafted in as many years. Was a basketball player with 1 year of football experience. Talks now are we view him as a bust already, and our free agency moves back that theory. Grade negative 15/10
Round 3- Sio Moore-
If Rod Streeter was a good pick, this is the other good pick in the McKenzie era. Moore actually looks and plays like an NFL linebacker was impressed me greatly as a rookie. I call him Psycho Moore because he plays like his hair is on fire. Grade- 7.5/10
Round 4- Tyler Wilson-
What needs to be said? We drafted a QB in the 4th round that was so bad, we cut him and nobody stopped us from picking him up on the practice squad. He will never amount to anything, and this is another complete miss by our supposed draft guru Grade- Menelik Watson status or worse
Round 6- Nick Kasa-
Looks and plays like an extra lineman. Can maybe carve out a career as a #3 TE/ST player on the roster. Grade: 3/10
Round 6- LT Murray
Redshirted last year. I like his college film, but the jury is completely out. The fact we brought back DMC might equate to we don't think this kid is ready or will be ready any time soon. Grade: Really can't even say yet.
Round 7- Mychel Rivera-
Maybe we should just give McKenzie 7th rounders to work with. Rivera has potential to improve, and had a solid rookie year at TE. He can help an offense. Grade: 6/10
Round 7- Stacy Mchee-
7th round trend continues. McGhee isn't a starter, but looks like a good rotational player on the D Line. Shows flashes of brilliance at times. Grade 6/10
Round 7 Brice Butler-
terrible, terrible WR. More drops than catches is how i remember it, though that may not be statistically factual. Grade: 1/10

TLDR, I'd love to build through the draft. Reggie sucks at it. The closest thing he's drafted to difference makers on either side of the ball are above average starter OLB Sio Moore and average WR Rod Streeter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowman1

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
If Gabbert can get a 6th rounder then Schaub should at least get a 4th lol

I don't know why, but Vick and Mentor shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Vick's never been a very smart QB who's just a beast off an athlete. Dude is apparently great to have in the locker room now though.

4 years for Brandon Pettigrew from Detroit
Vick is a smart QB IMO. He showed it in Philly. In Atlanta he has admitted he never even studied tape, so if you mean then, I agree.

I think Vick, with all he has gone through, is really mature at this point and would actually be a solid mentor.

In fact, I think a Vick on a one year deal to start is the Raiders best plan of action. Whether we draft Teddy or not, I think sitting a year and not being thrown in with our current lineup would be preferable. And if we don't get Teddy, roll with Vick on our way to 2-14 and Winston!

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Wesley Woodyard to Tennessee on a 4 year deal

Henry Melton visiting Seattle today (they just bring in every single FA D LIneman for visits lol)

Donald Penn to meet with Oakland, likely to sign

Edleman visiting SF

SF also interested in Nicks; meanwhile Carolina hasn't reached out out to Hakeem *wtf?)

Jets talking with Lafell (why does anyone want him??)

Michael Oher visiting Oakland and tennessee lmao. Please no. Snow, can he even play guard? I know he blows at tackle.

CJ?K willing to take a pay cut for a trade <- surprising

Captain Munnerlyn to Minnesota for 3/14. Replacing my man Captain Smoot from the Minny loveboat days.

DRC rumor FINALLY- Jets may be interested

Big cousin Antonio visiting AZ

James Jones still on NYJ's radar as they want another FA WR, also on Carolina radar

Manny Sanders visits KC today, word is NE isn't all over him as they were thought to be

5 teams reportedly interested in Kenneth Britt. shocking IMO.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
@Snowman Daryl Smith stays put 4 years 14 mill

seems like a steal compared to what Dansby got, no?

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
To touch on all of these:

Wesley Woodyard to Tennessee on a 4 year deal

Solid OLB, good pickup for the Titans.

Henry Melton visiting Seattle today (they just bring in every single FA D LIneman for visits lol)

It's actually really cool the way Seattle operates. You really never can have enough pass rushers lol, what did they have 5 sought-after ones last year? Why not more? They also resigned the underrated run-stuffer Tony McDaniel

Donald Penn to meet with Oakland, likely to sign

At least it's better than Menelik Watson lol

Edleman visiting SF

Seems a little unnecessary, do SF even use 3WR sets? Lol. Suppose they want to use more.

SF also interested in Nicks; meanwhile Carolina hasn't reached out out to Hakeem *wtf?)

Really? No interest at all from the Panthers? Stunning! Unheard of! Fucking Blue! *goes to look up the Panthers' WR1... who the fuck is Marvin McNutt? SIGN NICKS... or save him for Baltimore. Obviously a good pickup for SF, Crabtree/Boldin/Nicks? Scary!*

Jets talking with Lafell (why does anyone want him??)

Hey, they'll go from 3 WR2 to 2 WR2s and a WR4!

Michael Oher visiting Oakland and tennessee lmao. Please no. Snow, can he even play guard? I know he blows at tackle.

Would be an awful signing for the Raiders. He hasn't played guard up here, there might be a reason for that. He has potential at RT (he's atrocious at LT lol), would be a cool pickup for St. Louis to play around with. Can be dominant but also kills drives with dumb shit[/I]

CJ?K willing to take a pay cut for a trade <- surprising

Really? He's still not been cut? That's surprising

Captain Munnerlyn to Minnesota for 3/14. Replacing my man Captain Smoot from the Minny loveboat days.

Damn, they got a steal. Lets see how he does without the Kraken making his job easy

DRC rumor FINALLY- Jets may be interested

He'll go back to being "Doesn't Really Care" up there[/I]

Big cousin Antonio visiting AZ

Would be a good signing for both[/I]

James Jones still on NYJ's radar as they want another FA WR, also on Carolina radar

Great pickup for Carolina, almost pointless with the Jets with Kerley and Decker[/I]

Manny Sanders visits KC today, word is NE isn't all over him as they were thought to be

KC needs him. He's not good enough for Belichick, they only want elite receivers like Jason Avant[/I]

5 teams reportedly interested in Kenneth Britt. shocking IMO.

Really shocking. Hope nobody does something ridiculous here[/I]
Dammit Ozzie you did it again, all the guys who we wanted back (besides Arthur Jones, who everyone expected to just be overpaid anyway) got resigned. Awesome! :yay: He's 32 so he shouldn't have gotten much more, but he can still be productive. Still have to upgrade the spot next to him but am afraid of them doing so after a UFA Rookie in Josh Bynes started over Courtney Upshaw and Arthur Brown lol. And yeah, it's great having a Blue little cousin in the division, seems like every year they pay an inferior player more money at the same position, like paying Paul Kruger more than Elvis Dumervil. Nothing against Dansby though, different story with Kruger.

Niners ink Antoine Bethea, 4/26.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I don't think we have any interest in Oher starting, it would just be for depth. I think he is more likely to wind up as Tennessee's new starting RT, they cut their RT David Stewart and have Oher in for a visit. I don't imagine he leaves without a deal.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Brandon Spikes visiting Buffalo. I love him as a run stuffer, but in today's NFL his value is severely hampered as he simply can't cover anyone.

Rams want Kenny Britt. Fisher still has a hard on for all of his old Titans that get casted off. Maybe they will get CJ as well lol.

Zach Strief (saints RT) turned down a visit with Miami, probably because he is about to sign elsewhere.

Henry Melton will visit Dallas after Seattle.

The Wilfork release is just a matter of time it seems. Oakland could definitely use him in the middle methinks.

Jared Allen and Julius Peppers are both facing a cold market atm apparently.

best FAs left according to PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rtie-jared-allen-among-best-free-agents-left/
12. Broncos cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

18. Vikings defensive end Jared Allen.

23. Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks.

26. Packers defensive end B.J. Raji.

29. Ravens offensive tackle Michael Oher.

34. Bears defensive tackle Henry Melton.

35. Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman.

39. Steelers wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders.

40. Texans running back Ben Tate.

42. Ex-Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith

44. Bears defensive end Corey Wootton.

45. Packers wide receiver James Jones.

48. Broncos outside linebacker Shaun Phillips.

49. Ex-Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie.

52. Ex-Bears defensive end Julius Peppers.

53. Eagles quarterback Michael Vick.

54. Bears cornerback Charles Tillman.

56. Texans defensive end Antonio Smith.

61. Seahawks cornerback Walter Thurmond III.

63. Seahawks cornerback Brandon Browner.

65. Cowboys defensive end/outside linebacker Anthony Spencer.

68. 49ers cornerback Tarell Brown.

72. Packers tight end Jermichael Finley.

76. Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno.

81. Patriots inside linebacker Brandon Spikes.

82. Packers running back James Starks.

83. Broncos defensive end Robert Ayers.

87. Ex-Buccaneers offensive guard Davin Joseph.

90. Panthers wide receiver Brandon LaFell.

91. Patriots running back LeGarrette Blount.

93. Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew.

95. Saints center Brian De La Puente.

99. Panthers offensive guard Travelle Wharton.

100. Packers center Evan Dietrich-Smith.

101. Raiders defensive tackle Pat Sims.

102. Saints offensive tackle Zach Strief.

103. Vikings wide receiver Jerome Simpson.

106. Chargers defensive tackle Cam Thomas.

108. Vikings quarterback Josh Freeman.

oh, and Marvin Lewis got another year added on to his deal.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
After signing Malcolm Jenkins, Bryan Braman, Chris Maragos, Nolan Carroll and trading for Darren Sproles, the Eagles still manage to have over 21 million dollars in Cap Space.
Started with $24 million; Only Chung has been cut since that start.

Sproles also signed a 2 yr extension keeping him in Philly for 3 years total, so the trade makes a little more sense now. No specifics have been released but apparently the deal is actually strongly in favor of the Eagles rather than his own party because Sproles was happy with the way they were doing business with him. Chip Kelly has already stated his anxiousness to get to work with another new toy for his offense haha.

I wonder what we're going to do though with the rest of this money.. I think we should get a pass rusher, but they are really wanting Dee Ford in the draft if he's still down there.. Idk man things are getting intersting, all I know is we still have a good amount of money and still need a passrusher an OLB and a few more secondary guys (which I believe will come in the draft).

Eagles took an interest in Wyoming QB Brett Smith at his pro day; it seems they may draft him at some point later in the draft to give Barkley a run for his money as the back-up; G.J Kinne is still a very underwhelming player and is expected to be overlooked in favor of a drafted rookie.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Not many teams showing interest in Devin Hester; even after the Trade for Sproles, Eagles are still showing mild interest in him. It will compliment Sproles well in the Kick-Off Returns and then they can rotate punt returns. Hester has DB/WR experience too which makes him versatile on all three formats of the field; I can see him in a few ways fitting in well with the Chip Kelly system.. would not be suprised at all if he plays 3 sides of the ball (swapping in at CB, coming in as a WR sometimes and ofc the returns). I think we could eliminate Damaris Johnson from the roster and the spot would be better used on Hester. If his price is good enough I have no problem with the Eagles signing him, especially with the money we still have.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Man with DeSean still under contract what the hell do you need a kick returner for lol

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Man with DeSean still under contract what the hell do you need a kick returner for lol
We don't wanna injure DeSean by having him take tackles in open field, same goes for Boykin arguably our #1 CB, especially since our special teams blocking has been weak over the past two years so we've been phasing him out for awhile now; last year we had Damaris Johnson and Brandon Boykin returning kicks. We'd like to just build the special teams up as it's own specific unit and have designated people for that; Sproles & Hester would be deadly and apparently pretty cost effective from how the Hester market is looking.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
I dont think the Market is changing at all for Vick it should be these teams throughout until he decides to sign;
NYJ, OAK, BUF, MIN

I wonder if NE is going to get any WRs to help out Brady; Amendola, Thompkins and Dobson aren't going to cut it, even with Gronk there and active, and I don't think drafting another guy unless it's Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin is gonna help out any good.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I dont think the Market is changing at all for Vick it should be these teams throughout until he decides to sign;
NYJ, OAK, BUF, MIN

I wonder if NE is going to get any WRs to help out Brady; Amendola, Thompkins and Dobson aren't going to cut it, even with Gronk there and active, and I don't think drafting another guy unless it's Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin is gonna help out any good.
Marquise Lee is a realistic option for them in the 1st round IMO. He might be the best WR in the draft and could help right away.

Nero_x3

The Architect
Banned
Reaction score
WHY IN HELL DID THEY SIGN SPROLES UNTIL '16. We already have McCoy, and Brown is a good backup. Why the hell are they wasting this cap room. Yes, Sproles could make McCoy a better player, but come on.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Another year for Raji in Green Bay so he can be in another State Farm ad.

Giants make a really weird move in signing J.D. Walton, the center from Denver whose career might be over.

Status
Not open for further replies.