WWE '13

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Castiel

Reaction score
Wow WWE '13 creators really hate the PG era :lol:

Well the point is to feature Attitude Era storylines so...

Speaking of which, here's IGN's article on the Attitude Era mode:

Attitude Era mode replaces the Road to WrestleMania mode this year. It allows you to play as eight of the top WWE superstars during the Attitude Era period, including Hall of Famer "Stone Cold" Steve Austin.

Told from the perspective of the WWE during that period, matches and in-game cutscenes are supplemented by superb video packages assembled by WWE’s own editors. These short vignettes put matches, feuds and larger industry developments into perspective, not only keeping the overall story going, but giving a bit of a history lesson in the process.

THQ isn’t simply relying on the allure of legendary stars to boost its Attitude endeavors. It has learned from previous ‘Road to Wrestlemania’ efforts. Seeing this new mode in action proves that. First off, the vast majority of matches are just that - matches. While there is certainly a desire to stay true to history, and tell the stories the way they played out on television, the developers of WWE ’13 are mindful that wrestling fans want a fun game first and foremost. Therefore each match is broken down into a series of main or side objectives, which are clearly labeled when on-screen, can be easily accessed, and will disappear from a list when they are completed.

In general, main objectives are simple (pin your opponent, grab the title), allowing players to advance the storyline simply by winning matches. However optional side objectives are more meticulous by nature, setting more specific victory conditions - asking players to put an opponent through a table, for example. Those looking to get the most out of WWE ’13 will want to pay attention to all the game asks of them. A wealth of bonus material can be unlocked by completing all side tasks, and there can be several per match. The developers have even included a few ‘hidden’ objectives, opening up further rewards if players decide to pursue a more comprehensive strategy for beating the mode.

There’s an emphasis here on the core game experience, without the clutter and complication that can arise by trying to dictate the conclusion of a match, robbing players of the feeling of victory or control. Backstage sequences were particularly guilty of this, placing players in odd environments that the game’s mechanics poorly supported. There’s some good news on this front: they have mostly been removed, with the exception of a few matches that take place outside the ring. [1]

They worked closely with the great production team at WWE to create more than 20 exclusive Attitude Era video packages that players will be able to watch as they play throughout Attitude Era Mode. They recreated all of the classic WWE arenas, television graphics and entrances from the time period. They have more than 60 Attitude Era cutscenes that play out throughout the course of the mode, each telling the story as you play the matches. The Attitude Era roster has more than 30 Superstars and Divas from the time period, with lots of unlockable alternate attire options. They've also added more than 100 unlockables in the mode, as well as cool bonus features, such as WWE Attitude Era photos, videos and more. As you can see, our goal was to create the most authentic Attitude Era experience possible.[2]

Rather than push players through lengthy, original storylines featuring a set few characters, THQ is attempting to recreate the biggest, most iconic moments from late 1997, when DX formed, through Wrestlemania XV some two years later, when Austin and The Rock squared off for the first time. The single-player experience is divided into chapters of varying lengths, split amongst eight characters or entities: D-Generation X, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, Mick Foley, The Rock, Bret Hart, Kane and the Undertaker.

Realizing that simply increasing the number of fixed characters and dividing the single player experience into chapters wasn’t enough, THQ has set about actually telling the story of wrestling’s past. To do that, the development team worked closely with WWE to produce 20 videos that fill in the gaps and storylines necessary to not only understand a match or feud’s context, but to actually get excited to see its resolution. You might not play every match on the path to Austin colliding with The Rock, but you’ll understand why they fought - and why people cared.

Those of us who never saw the Attitude Era play out week-to-week will finally have that chance - through stellar video packages, 65 playable matches and even a ratings chart that follows the so-called ‘Monday Night Wars’ of WWE and its rival, WCW.

The manner in which the Attitude Era is played is different than its predecessors. Your basic objective is almost always the same - win your match.

WWE ’13 does away with that notion, instead working with incentives and bonus objectives to entice players to recreate moments from the past. Steve Austin beat Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania XIV, but he did it in a specific way. You can simply beat the Michaels and move on, but if you go that extra step, you can potentially tap into the massive amount of unlockable content the game features.

All told, between videos, photos, belts, superstars and alternate attires, there are more than 100 items that can be opened by seeking out bonus objectives - some of which are hidden to prevent you from knowing how a match will play out. Critically, your list of objectives can be displayed at any time with the quick press of a button, just in case you’re curious if you’re accomplishing everything that’s necessary before you make the pin.

There are a myriad of other elements in (and around) the Attitude Era mode that will simply make all the difference in the world to wrestling fans. Legendary commentator Jim Ross will be heard alongside Jerry “The King” Lawler, just as he was in the late ‘90s.

A chart following the Monday Night Wars ratings sounds cool, this does sound like they will just be using videos instead of cutscenes for the mode though? That would be not so awesome... King & J.R. announcing excites me.

Here are the arenas that will be featured. Also, apparently with create-an-arena this year you can choose the size of the arena so you can make smaller indy like ones too. PWG Reseda arena here I come!

Modern Era arenas:

Monday Night Raw
Friday Night SmackDown!
Extreme Rules 2012
Over the Limit 2011
Money in the Bank 2011
SummerSlam 2011
Hell in a Cell 2011
Night of Champions 2011

Attitude Era arenas:

Raw is War 1997
Raw is War 1998
WrestleMania XIV
Survivor Series 1998
St Valentine's Day Massacre: In Your House
Unforgiven: In Your House
King of the Ring 1998
One Night Only (England) 1997
WrestleMania XV

Sabretooth

Reaction score
I'm not going to get high hopes like I did for the other games. THQ always manages to make each game seem amazing. Personally I didn't think WWE '12 was that good. The RTWM was kind of stupid. Wade Barrett vs Sheamus vs drew McIntyre vs William Regal for all the gold in wwe. Seriously? This game sounds awesome but I'm not gonna get my hopes up high in case it isn't.

Starlight

I am loving the picks they have for the roster this season. They have Stephanie McMahon (my favorite), Shane McMahon (my favorite), Lita, Trish Stratus, Edge, Brock Lesnar, AJ Lee, and Eddie Guerrero. I hope they add Vickie Guerrero. Then I would have my four favorite couples in WWE/WWF history.

Triple H & Stephanie
Edge & Lita
Eddie & Vickie Guerrero
Chris Jericho & Trish Stratus

Alex Scott

Metrosexual New Owner
Reaction score
I look forward to this game. I feel the WWE has revitalized its gaming with WWE 12. I was never a big fan of the S VS R series for many reasons. However, I feel the new games are putting their best foot forward and really putting out good stuff. While yes, the storyline of the 12 was a little convoluted, the gameplay and create a character were phenomenal. If they can improve on the storyline and update some minor problems, 13 will be the best wrestling game to date.

Castiel

Reaction score
21 characters will be available as DLC!

Current Era: AJ Lee and Damien Sandow (already announced), Antonio Cesaro, Drew McIntyre, Layla, Natalya, Ryback, Tensai, The Usos (Jimmy & Jey), Yoshi Tatsu.

Attitude Era: Mike Tyson (Pre-Order DLC), Brian Pillman, Chainsaw Charlie (Terry Funk), Diamond Dallas Page (Fan Axxese exclusive), Gangrel, Goldust (Fan Axxese exclusive), Rikishi, Too Cool (Scotty 2 Hotty & Grandmaster Sexay), Val Venis.

In addition, more content will be included as DLC such as Ministry Undertaker Attire, Brock Lesnar's Kimura Lock and John Cena's 2004 United States Spinner Title. More details about Downloadable Content and the yearly "Fan Axxess" coming soon. Meanwhile, enjoy these 30 screenshots!

DDP? Brian Pillman? Too Cool? YES! The DLC may have finally sold me on the game. Hard to believe Yoshi Tatsu is included but Tyson Kidd isn't.

Castiel

Reaction score
[video=youtube;95ZewhSMZUs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95ZewhSMZUs&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Create a Show

Players now have the freedom to create their own shows while scheduling which day they appear on, from Monday through Saturday. In their show creation process, players will be able to choose the presentation graphics, the arena, which rosters appear on the show, and assign up to four Championships to be contested over.

Create a Pay-Per-View

In addition to custom shows, players can also create a Pay-Per-View that can be held on any Sunday. Along with choosing the presentation graphics and arena, players can choose which shows participate in the Pay-Per-View, as well as the match-type theme.

Statistics

Players can now view various championship and show statistics within their WWE Universe. Containing both historical statistics and statistics that update as your WWE Universe progresses, players can try to further one Superstar’s championship reign or try to beat it.

Storylines

Superstars will enter into feuds against each other as part of a rivalry, while competing for #1 contender rights for a championship title, and more. Take part in 200 new storyline feuds and choose which Superstars stand out in your Universe.

More Content, More Freedom

Many improvements and other additions have been made to Universe, such as more matches per show and the freedom to edit whole match cards, customizable championship rankings, and the ability to restart your Universe from the beginning.

I really dig the Universe update. Not many use the create-a-story mode anyway and this is like incorporating that into Universe. Looks pretty good.

Castiel

Reaction score
Still haven't gotten this, waiting until Christmas. Anyone here get it though, thoughts?

In the meantime, I just finished WrestleMania in '12 which I'm still fine with really. Most fucked up Mania ever. Highlights:

Sheamus def. Dean Ambrose for the WWE Championship, Fire Ant attacks Ambrose only for Sheamus to make the save afterwards.
Kassius Ohno def. The Undertaker via countout
Main Event: Kevin Steen retains the WHC against Austin Aries in a Last Man Standing draw.

I was the loser in all of these matches btw.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
I'm waiting until Hannaukah to ask my dad to spend $60 for the game. :lol:

Castiel

Reaction score
I'm waiting until Hannaukah to ask my dad to spend $60 for the game. :lol:

I had no clue you were Jewish, I wonder what our other Jewish friend [MENTION=35]The Viper[/MENTION] thinks about the game?

The Viper

Reaction score
I didn't know he was Jewish either.

Well, tbh, I think the game is phenomenal. It took me one match to get used to the controls, while in WWE '12, it took me a few hours and I still never perfected it. The AE Era being in the game helps but it's not the sole reason why it's great. This is the first wrestling game I have actually owned since SvR 2007 so this is also my first time playing with the Community Creations and it's the greatest thing I've ever witnessed. The things that people can create are amazing.

The commentary is dreadful (much shittier than usual) but that doesn't really take away from how great the game is since I put my TV on mute and I create my own commentary :lol: But all in all, I HIGHLY recommend this game. I'm still learning how to do other moves while in grapple and all of that jazz, but I'm loving it.

Oh and THANK GOODNESS (!!!!!) for Black Friday. I spent $25 on this game at Walmart, but I think it's worth the full, regular price.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
general question, is Community Creations actually usable this year?

The Viper

Reaction score
general question, is Community Creations actually usable this year?

Well, I don't know how it was the other years, but I've been having no problems. Takes me 30 seconds, not even, to download something. Even a shorter time when I'm downloading a story line. It's pretty fantastic. The menu is easy to use and navigate through. I love it.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Well, I don't know how it was the other years, but I've been having no problems. Takes me 30 seconds, not even, to download something. Even a shorter time when I'm downloading a story line. It's pretty fantastic. The menu is easy to use and navigate through. I love it.

Last year it was/probably still good awful. Constantly crashing and becoming unavailable. One of the big issues that put me off this years.