WEC 53: Henderson vs. Pettis

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
1) Swagger has been getting better every week and I strongly believe he'll be winning the title from Hardy. I mean, Matt can then move to Smackdown permenantly and then Swagger can lead the pack in ECW as he really was made to lead a brand. He attacked Hardy in his match with Henry last week which got him mad, also setting up his next challenger which would be a good matchup as both of them have had strong wrestling careers even before the WWE and it would be cool to see how Swagger wrestles against someone bigger than him. So mark my word, on January 26th, Swagger will be grasping that ECW title.

2) This young Ricky Ortiz has talent. He hasn't pulled off anything overly impressive but has a strong athletic backround (former CFL player) which I believe has really helped the kid. He will not win the title anytime soon but he went undeated well longer than a normal young kid like Ricky really would. So right now, with Bourne not wrestling, R.O. is the ECW's best young superstar with the most promise out of all the ECW's young superstars.

3) Finlay is getting dry, very dry. Him and Horny have ran out of idea's and it has shown. Like so many people are blinded by how cute Horny is but he's done nothing but make Finlay look soft. I say that Finlay needs to drop the midget as he looks tougher and wrestles tougher as the WWE is trying to portray him as this protective father which is not a gimmick that fits him. The Irishman is a tough, ruggid and bold man and he was better when WWE played him like one.

4) DJ Gabriel, him and his valet have a good future in front of them. DJ as a dancer has a certain appeal to it and it can't hurt having a hot Alicia Fox on his side. I expect the two to start fighting a few more meaningful wrestlers as he fought Burchill and dominated last week, Paul being the first real test for him. Fox having a wrestling history helps the pair as well, so don't be suprised seing the pair teaming up, maybe on Raw as a part of the talent exchange! So he isn't the hottest superstar but at the middle of 2009, don't be suprised to see DJ contending for the title.

MikeRaw

1-I agree that he could win the title. I think it will be a bit longer than you think though. I'm think it will happen either at WM in a lower card match, or at Backlash. They should build him a bit more first, but I agree, he will eventually win the belt.

2-I disagree on this one. I see nothing in the guy, he just seem sbland to me, plus, other guys have more talent and promise than him I think (like Jack Swagger, who I mentioned earlier)

3-Agreed totally. Finlay and Hornswoggle=lame.

4-Don't know too much about this guy. Alicia Fox is hot though:D

Reaction score
1-I agree that he could win the title. I think it will be a bit longer than you think though. I'm think it will happen either at WM in a lower card match, or at Backlash. They should build him a bit more first, but I agree, he will eventually win the belt.

2-I disagree on this one. I see nothing in the guy, he just seem sbland to me, plus, other guys have more talent and promise than him I think (like Jack Swagger, who I mentioned earlier)

3-Agreed totally. Finlay and Hornswoggle=lame.

4-Don't know too much about this guy. Alicia Fox is hot though:D

1) But Hardy has been on SD for so long, I think the WWE wants the title off of Matt as soon as possible as then you have a "Hardy Boyz" team again, and with all this Edge stuff, I wouldn't be suprised to see Christian. Like maybe you have Matt lose the ECW title, and then Christian to come out in the Hardy vs. Edge match, attack Edge and then you have a potential Hardy Boyz vs. Edge & Christian match at Backlash or the next Smack - Down, it's just how I'm thinking!

2) He's actually quite energetic in the ring but he does need some mic skills. Like that's really what seperates Swagger and Ortiz, Jack can make the fans hate him on the mic but Ricky, I don't think I've ever even heard/seen the kid talk into a microphone but even without the mic, the ECW fans are actually getting behind him. So like, would you still see Ricky as "bland" if he grasped some mic / promo skills?

3) A lot of people don't know the kid but he is a British kid with a lot of in - ring skills. His gimmick is pretty much a "dancer" which sounds stupid but it's actually an ok gimmick and the kid is very smart in the ring, he's got a very fresh and fun moveset and has put down everyone in his path but that's not saying much as the only people in his path have been jobbers (if Paul Burchill is considered a jobber!) Mike, if you have a chance, go look up "DJ Gabriel" on youtube and tell me what you think!

X-Sterl-X

Reaction score
Swagger is the future, hands down. He will have that belt by May and IMO will become a major heel, the guy has everything right now to become something great

Henry is the best heel on the show right now as far as old guys

Gabriel is a fun GIMMICK, but he will be something major when he has something more serious, Overall theguy has promise

Finlay=a great old wrestler and a good in ring wrestler for 50, but Hornswaggle gives him some flavor, which most people don't see, all they need to do is give him something a lil more serious with Horny and Finlay will be fine

MikeRaw

1) But Hardy has been on SD for so long, I think the WWE wants the title off of Matt as soon as possible as then you have a "Hardy Boyz" team again, and with all this Edge stuff, I wouldn't be suprised to see Christian. Like maybe you have Matt lose the ECW title, and then Christian to come out in the Hardy vs. Edge match, attack Edge and then you have a potential Hardy Boyz vs. Edge & Christian match at Backlash or the next Smack - Down, it's just how I'm thinking!

2) He's actually quite energetic in the ring but he does need some mic skills. Like that's really what seperates Swagger and Ortiz, Jack can make the fans hate him on the mic but Ricky, I don't think I've ever even heard/seen the kid talk into a microphone but even without the mic, the ECW fans are actually getting behind him. So like, would you still see Ricky as "bland" if he grasped some mic / promo skills?

3) A lot of people don't know the kid but he is a British kid with a lot of in - ring skills. His gimmick is pretty much a "dancer" which sounds stupid but it's actually an ok gimmick and the kid is very smart in the ring, he's got a very fresh and fun moveset and has put down everyone in his path but that's not saying much as the only people in his path have been jobbers (if Paul Burchill is considered a jobber!) Mike, if you have a chance, go look up "DJ Gabriel" on youtube and tell me what you think!

1-Like I said, I agree with you he will lose the belt, and probably to Swagger, I just see it all unfolding after WM, because WM is actually not too far away.
2-I wouldn't see him as bland if he grabbed osme promo skills, however, it's not like you can walk to the Charisma Store and pick up a box of mic skills, you know? It's either you have them or you don't.
I think he has a decent amount of potential, but not much. I just don't see him as a main eventer, ever. But I see him as a SD midcarder guy.
He just lacks natural charisma IMO, and what he has seems forced.
3-I'll look him up later today. I'm watching some hockey right now, lol.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score

Why would you want Hardy off of ECW? He just got there and is the brands top babyface. Take him away, who do you have to step up and carry the brand. He needs to stay there, continue to be the top baby face and help others step up and increase their ring skills.

And taking him off of ECW just for him to go to Smackdown to reform the Hardy's full time, I think is dumb. Yes I think it would be good for them all to have a match, but a full time tag team feud? These guys are beyond tag team competitors. There's nothing else they can do in that division. The Hardy's need to reform in a match maybe at least twice a year, to make it special. If Christian is indeed coming back, reforming Edge and Christian isn't necessary. They could have an alliance with each other, have a few tag matches, have mutual respect for their "brother", but going back to the tag team division, I think not.

Reaction score
Swagger is the future, hands down. He will have that belt by May and IMO will become a major heel, the guy has everything right now to become something great

Henry is the best heel on the show right now as far as old guys

Gabriel is a fun GIMMICK, but he will be something major when he has something more serious, Overall theguy has promise

Finlay=a great old wrestler and a good in ring wrestler for 50, but Hornswaggle gives him some flavor, which most people don't see, all they need to do is give him something a lil more serious with Horny and Finlay will be fine

1) Yeah, Swagger will eventually take the torch from Hardy and will really lead this brand from the depths of WWE to the top of the WWE. He really has the whole set, mic skills, power, a strong athletic backround and smarts. Like right now, he's a good heel but if he can land that title, he'd pass Mark Henry for ECW's biggest heel. And I believe that by May, Swagger will be at the top of the ladder and will have beaten every superstar on the ECW roster and for a kid that I didn't think much of in September to be 2nd on the ECW ladder, well it's amazing, Jack is amazing in my mind.

2) Mark is a very good heel and his body size helps him with that. I mean, you have the huge body, the beard, the intimidating voice and a famous wrestler named Tony Atlas at your side! Henry doesn't usually get the time of day but he really does have the whole set to be a dominating force in ECW. I do think he's improved since he first got here though, his promo's are getting better and he talks a lot more on the mic now. I also like Mark because he can be more than a power - house, you want him to wrestle technichal and he will, you want him to play brawler and he will, like it can confuse his opponents.

3) Yeah, DJ's gimmick is a good one for now while he's still learning how to wrestle the big kids but you're right, he's gonna need to switch gimmicks once he get's a little more experienced and being british will help him. Like depending on how long it takes him to get to one of the flagship brands, a Regal - Gabriel - Layla stable could work out well or something around that. Like that way he can cut some better promo's as what are you going to say in a promo when you're a dancer and then he can also get mentored by a gret mind like Regal's but that'll still take time, DJ needs to wrestle some more of ECW's "bigger" superstars before he's up on Raw.

4) Finlay is doing good for a 50 year old but in my opinion, Hornswoggle doesn't give him flavour. Like when I see a guy as tough as Finlay holding hands or guiding a cute little Hornswoggle, well it just turns me off of him to be honest. Like he was appealing when he was a ruggid, tough and rough guy who would whip his opponents around the ring like a punching bag, that is the Finlay I know and love. Like I say he drops "Little Bastard" and rolls around on his own as he'd look a lot more professional and would show that he could wrestle without his "son" interfering and helping him. Like it's just my opinion but I think it would be in his best interest to drop Hornswoggle.

1-Like I said, I agree with you he will lose the belt, and probably to Swagger, I just see it all unfolding after WM, because WM is actually not too far away.
2-I wouldn't see him as bland if he grabbed osme promo skills, however, it's not like you can walk to the Charisma Store and pick up a box of mic skills, you know? It's either you have them or you don't.
I think he has a decent amount of potential, but not much. I just don't see him as a main eventer, ever. But I see him as a SD midcarder guy.
He just lacks natural charisma IMO, and what he has seems forced.
3-I'll look him up later today. I'm watching some hockey right now, lol.

1) I understand that but what do you see happening at the Rumble, like what would the ECW match be in your opinion? Like are you saying Matt retains the belt at RR, then drops it to Swagger at WM as I guess in a way, I could see something like that happening, maybe Henry interupts the Hardy vs. Swagger match at the Rumble and attacks Swagger making for a DQ win for Hardy? What do you think about that?

2) Yeah, mic skills aren't going to come to him right away, but a feud would definitely help them produce! Like Ricky needs a chance to talk or cut a promo, I mean maybe you put Ortiz and Gabriel in a feud? It wouldn't be a hot one but you have two guys who both need a little more charisma and just a little more mic skills. Like it would really help the both of them as they both don't have any feud or storyline going for them at all and it would be cool to see their styles clash together once or twice and it's cool cause Ricky's a face and DJ can easily be a heel cause he hasn't really shown any signs of being a heel or face so it would be an easy transition from a tweener to a heel!

3) That's fine, you like hockey though, sweet! I'm in love with the Vancouver Canucks who got Mr. Sundin!
:rotflmao_1:

Why would you want Hardy off of ECW? He just got there and is the brands top babyface. Take him away, who do you have to step up and carry the brand. He needs to stay there, continue to be the top baby face and help others step up and increase their ring skills.

And taking him off of ECW just for him to go to Smackdown to reform the Hardy's full time, I think is dumb. Yes I think it would be good for them all to have a match, but a full time tag team feud? These guys are beyond tag team competitors. There's nothing else they can do in that division. The Hardy's need to reform in a match maybe at least twice a year, to make it special. If Christian is indeed coming back, reforming Edge and Christian isn't necessary. They could have an alliance with each other, have a few tag matches, have mutual respect for their "brother", but going back to the tag team division, I think not.

1) I like Matt but he has not been wrestling full - time with ECW and has been brought into this whole "Who Attacked Jeff Hardy" storyline. I just find it stupid for Hardy to be wrestling SD's guys like Kozlov when ECW is not even getting his service full - time. Like I really think it would be better for this ECW brand if they let Matt go, give Swagger the torch as then your pack leader is representing everything this brand is based on, young talent. I mean look at DJ Gabriel and Evan Bourne, this brand is about young talent and that is exactly what Swagger represents. And Jack can lead this brand, he is fully capable so don't pull the "he is too young to lead a brand by himself" as he isn't! Oh and it's not like we don't have another solid baby - face, we have Finlay and even though I don't love his gimmick, he has the experience to mentor the young guns ECW holds and he has the talent to also hold this brand up.

2) I said that was a potential match, they didn't need to be a full time team. Like Hardy would do well on SD with Jeff or without him! Like you have a feud between Christan & Edge and The Hardy Boyz, and the matches would be crazy. Like think about a Matt Hardy vs. Christian match or another Matt Hardy vs. Edge match or a fatal four way, their are bunches of match oppurtunities if Hardy came to Smack - Down for good and then he also opens the door to guys like Chavo and Finlay who haven't got a title shot in a long time! That's just my 2 cents so take it for what it's worth!

MikeRaw

1) I understand that but what do you see happening at the Rumble, like what would the ECW match be in your opinion? Like are you saying Matt retains the belt at RR, then drops it to Swagger at WM as I guess in a way, I could see something like that happening, maybe Henry interupts the Hardy vs. Swagger match at the Rumble and attacks Swagger making for a DQ win for Hardy? What do you think about that?

I see Hardy winning in some form of match at the Rumble, in a close match though, and losing it in a triple threat match at WM to Swagger.

3) That's fine, you like hockey though, sweet! I'm in love with the Vancouver Canucks who got Mr. Sundin!
:rotflmao_1:

I hate the Canucks (you're cool though). I'm a Flames fan and a Leafs (aka: Laffs) fan.

Airfixx

Daaaamn, they certainly had Swagger beat the fuck out of Matt... Someone at HQ certainly is high on this guy!

Dunno how much he was acting, but damn good promo from Dreamer.

Good to see the Burchills too. Hopefully they can avoid the axe and prosper on ECW.

Lol at WWE now saying they're in fact from Surrey (rather than Chealsea as stated when they were on Raw) and that "Surrey is a place where they tried to ban 'innapropriate' dancing"... South of London is NOT like 'The Deep South' and this ain't fuckin' Footloose! :roll2:

I didn't realise Edge's wedding panner had debuted as a wrestler... What was all that dancing crap though? ...Reminded me of the Bodydonnas!

Moonlight Drive

What date is One Night Stand 09? I know it's June, so it may be Dreamer's last hurrah

Airfixx

....Yeah, that thought re-occured to me after hitting 'send'.

Winning and retiring at ONS would be a fitting tribute/send-off.

They've cashed in SO heavily on Dreamer as a connection to the old days of ECW that he definatley deserves something special (and given the overall placing of ECW within WWE I think they could 'afford' to do so).

Moonlight Drive

Dreamer's pretty underrated in my books. In one of the few ECW Originals who can work a proper match (ohai Sandman) and is decent on the mic.

Since he's the big connection, I'm hoping Dreamer suddenly goes super hardcore in his last run in his quest for the belt.