Update on KENTA Possibly Coming to WWE, His Farewell In Japan, When He Will Be Free

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Ziggler vs Sandow. The crowd has barely been behind either guy, but that match got some of the biggest pops they've seen in a while.
Because BOTH of them are so over now off that match? I didn't say noone appreciates a good match, but guess what....Noone is going to pay money to see you, because you can have a good match.

Anyone learn anything from WCW Cruiserweights? Yeah those audiences were going fucking nuts for them during those matches, but WCWs super large audience at the time didn't pay a fucking dime to see them. They are garnish to that steak. A 5 star match between two workers isn't going to be remembered like the superstars who got over by their personalities. Ask fans of the WCWs apex, what they remember most....Guerrero/Rey Halloween Havoc 97 or Hogan/Sting?

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
And guys like Cena/Orton/Cesaro/Wyatt and countless other guys would stick out in a busy American street right?

Cena and Orton are good looking guys with chiseled movie star features, they aren't a run-of-the-mill asian guy.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
It's being rumored that Japanese wrestler Sakamoto has been re-hired by WWE. Sakamoto, who once appeared as Tensai's assistant, was released back in May of 2013 but was at last night's NXT live event Orlando and has been in Orlando for several days now.

The rumors also say that he may have been brought back to help with translating for KENTA when he arrives. As noted, it's still not confirmed that KENTA is coming in. For what it's worth, Sakamoto appears to be still taking bookings on his Twitter.
Can anyone actually confirm what the guys English is like because this report makes it sound like it's non-existant. Guessing Yoshi's English obviously isn't that great or Albert's Japanese isn't up to scratch otherwise you'd have figured they would have used one of these guys.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Jimmy Yang plz

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Yoshi is going to English classes. So he's not a very good candidate for translating just yet. Not sure what the fuck Albert is doing though, You'd figure all his time in Japan would have helped. Does Sakamoto wrestle? I've never seen any of his work.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Yoshi is going to English classes. So he's not a very good candidate for translating just yet. Not sure what the fuck Albert is doing though, You'd figure all his time in Japan would have helped. Does Sakamoto wrestle? I've never seen any of his work.
Better than Okada probably

iono

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Because BOTH of them are so over now off that match? I didn't say noone appreciates a good match, but guess what....Noone is going to pay money to see you, because you can have a good match.

Anyone learn anything from WCW Cruiserweights? Yeah those audiences were going fucking nuts for them during those matches, but WCWs super large audience at the time didn't pay a fucking dime to see them. They are garnish to that steak. A 5 star match between two workers isn't going to be remembered like the superstars who got over by their personalities. Ask fans of the WCWs apex, what they remember most....Guerrero/Rey Halloween Havoc 97 or Hogan/Sting?
You talking about the Hogan/Sting match? Or Hogan/Sting in general? I mean, that was peak nWo... hottest faction (at that point) in wrestling history... of course people are going to remember that. But I see on Twitter all the time... casual fans who have left wrestling behind... who still talk about Psychosis/Mysterio... and Harlem Heat vs. the Steiners. I mean, you wanna talk about what people remember most? More people remember/talk about the finger poke of doom than any Goldberg or non-Nash Hogan match... or Sting match for that matter. That's not exactly the greatest judge of a great match/moment/superstar.

As far as KENTA goes, I hope he signs, because he's a great worker... could be excellent in the mid-card with a good manager. I'd also love to see KENTA vs. Daniel Bryan at least once on WWE TV... doesn't have to be a PPV match... throw it on RAW and let them have a good 20-minute match with stiff kicks and forearms. I think KENTA could be a lot like Tajiri for WWE... an awesome mid-card worker who can get fans to pop and put on some of the most entertaining matches on the card. Hell, with the right push, you never know how the crowd might take to anyone.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
You talking about the Hogan/Sting match? Or Hogan/Sting in general? I mean, that was peak nWo... hottest faction (at that point) in wrestling history... of course people are going to remember that. But I see on Twitter all the time... casual fans who have left wrestling behind... who still talk about Psychosis/Mysterio... and Harlem Heat vs. the Steiners. I mean, you wanna talk about what people remember most? More people remember/talk about the finger poke of doom than any Goldberg or non-Nash Hogan match... or Sting match for that matter. That's not exactly the greatest judge of a great match/moment/superstar.

As far as KENTA goes, I hope he signs, because he's a great worker... could be excellent in the mid-card with a good manager. I'd also love to see KENTA vs. Daniel Bryan at least once on WWE TV... doesn't have to be a PPV match... throw it on RAW and let them have a good 20-minute match with stiff kicks and forearms. I think KENTA could be a lot like Tajiri for WWE... an awesome mid-card worker who can get fans to pop and put on some of the most entertaining matches on the card. Hell, with the right push, you never know how the crowd might take to anyone.
Using WCWs peak and what people remember is the best judge, the fact that people remember the Fingerpoke just proves what sticks in peoples minds, personalities own workrate. Ever wonder why people just think of Pepe when they think of Chavo jr? He had great matches, but noone is going to remember that. Jericho had some great matches(not by his own standards btw) but everyone remembers what? Man of a 1004 holds.

KENTA 33 years old and most likely to spent most time in nXt, yeah, what's better? Getting maybe 2 years out of him at Raw/Smackdown house shows or having him help train and add a new mix to their deveopmental program....If WWE wanted a guy from Japan with more upside, you go for Okada, he's only 26 and actually over 6 feet.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Apparently Sakamoto is back working for NXT, so perhaps they'll use him to help improve KENTA's English.

Last edited:

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Think the only English he knows is what every Japanese wrestler does, USA! NUMBA #1, well it was like that back in ROH.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Using WCWs peak and what people remember is the best judge, the fact that people remember the Fingerpoke just proves what sticks in peoples minds, personalities own workrate. Ever wonder why people just think of Pepe when they think of Chavo jr? He had great matches, but noone is going to remember that. Jericho had some great matches(not by his own standards btw) but everyone remembers what? Man of a 1004 holds.

KENTA 33 years old and most likely to spent most time in nXt, yeah, what's better? Getting maybe 2 years out of him at Raw/Smackdown house shows or having him help train and add a new mix to their deveopmental program....If WWE wanted a guy from Japan with more upside, you go for Okada, he's only 26 and actually over 6 feet.

Who's to say he can't do both? Everybody knows if WWE feels they could make money off a guy, they'll give it a shot. They'll make money off this guy, no doubt.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
What money is to be made from KENTA? He's had a bunch of knee injuries, his major moves are already established by WWE maineventers and he wasn't some sort of major star in Japan because NOAH wasn't that major of a company so you can't really use him to market WWE in Japan, would be like using Yoshi Tatsu and even WWE don't do that.

Also, Sara Del Rey is just a trainer, and she has more upside for the Divas division, and she is just there to make sure the Divas can work with someone in the Performance Centre.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige

What a mediocre post.

Nobody wants to see WWE go puro, it died years ago along with the whole Jap scene.

Stiff kicks belong in Muay Thai, not rasslen.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
- Tokyo Sports in Japan reports that WWE will officially announce that former Pro Wrestling NOAH star KENTA has signed with the company during their tour of Japan next month. A press conference will be held on July 12th to announce the signing.
So if this true then it looks like a Sin Cara type deal where they tout him as a huge deal.

Gonna be interesting too to see what they did with the name and whether he spends time in NXT presumably off camera too.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
NOAH wasn't exactly CMLL level in Japan.