Update on KENTA Possibly Coming to WWE, His Farewell In Japan, When He Will Be Free

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Wrestling Observer said:
- As noted, top Japanese star KENTA is leaving Pro Wrestling NOAH and speculation is that he's headed to WWE after working an informal tryout earlier this year.

KENTA spoke to media in Japan and said that he's beginning a new challenge in his life at 33 years old. His NOAH contract expired on April 30th but he will work two show on a per-show deal - May 3rd for NOAH and then his farewell show on May 17th.

It's still not confirmed that KENTA is joining WWE but most believe that to be the case. There's speculation that he could join New Japan Pro Wrestling as well.

WWE issued this response to F4Wonline.com when asked about KENTA coming in:

"Unfortunately, we do not have any further information to share at this time. We will keep you posted if/when we have any news on him."
Good, bad or indifferent on this news? The name is familiar but i've never watched him so..

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
He's good, and he's been around American wrestling enough that the transition wouldn't be too hard. I can't see him ever getting too popular other than a mid card run though.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
It would be a good signing with his level of experience and talent in the ring, just hope he is given the right part.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
I don't think he'd be leaving NOAH if he wasn't guaranteed to bypass NXT and go straight to the roster imo.

But good luck to him if he's going to WWE. He'll be a loss for NOAH for sure.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I don't think anyone bypasses NXT completely after the Sin Cara debacle. He may not be there for long, but he won't go straight to the main roster.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Can't do half his move set that got him over because it was liberally ripped off by CM Punk.

Reactions: The Cork

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
I've never cared for Japanese wrestling so I've never bothered to watch any of stuff. Can't make much a judgment except I hope he isn't brought in with a lot of hype to fizzle out.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
His name pops up a lot when people talk about Japanese wrestling. So I'd be pretty excited to see what he can do.

Weez

Reaction score
lol Give KENTA a straight edge gimmick and be done with it. Maybe ppl won't notice?

Certainly won't in the ring.. lol

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Japs won't ever get over in America, they all look and sound the same so nobody stands out.

Plus they all look transgender lesbians, which makes it hard to take them srs.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
So much casual racism in one post. Good to see ya back, Cork.

Reactions: Keith

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
So much casual racism in one post. Good to see ya back, Cork.

To be fair, he's right though. Tajiri is the only Japanese guy to be anywhere near over in recent memory and that was mainly because of his comedy with Regal. Muta is the only one to ever really get over in the States, and that was only when he had the face paint in the mist to distinguish himself.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
I wouldn't put that down to them "all looking the same" though. Tajiri and Muta did well for the type of roll they were in, I don't think WWE really wanted or expected them to achieve anything other than mid card success. At least Tajiri anyway, I don't know enough about Muta to know what was expected of him when he wrestled in WCW.

KENTA in WWE could easily work, it'd just depend on whether if WWE would want to really push him and if they fans would take to him. If it weren't to work out for him it'd have nothing to do with Japanese people supposedly looking the same. That's just ignorant and absurd.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I wouldn't put that down to them "all looking the same" though. Tajiri and Muta did well for the type of roll they were in, I don't think WWE really wanted or expected them to achieve anything other than mid card success. At least Tajiri anyway, I don't know enough about Muta to know what was expected of him when he wrestled in WCW.

KENTA in WWE could easily work, it'd just depend on whether if WWE would want to really push him and if they fans would take to him. If it weren't to work out for him it'd have nothing to do with Japanese people supposedly looking the same. That's just ignorant and absurd.
Tajiri had Regal and Muta had Gary Hart talking for them, if they don't speak English, they don't get over. Being a good wrestler isn't the end all, be all of professional wrestling. You can't get people to give a shit about you, just because you can wrestle.

Let's see how many Japanese wrestlers went stateside and didn't get over? Tenryu, one of the biggest stars in Japan, didn't get over and he was pushed heavily in his babyface tag team. Inoki didn't do much either, a failed PPV match against Ali.

It's not ignorant to say that, it's being realistic.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
It's not necessarily looking the same either, it's just that they all follow the same general formula once they get to the states. Most of them dress the same and have the same "martial arts kicks" gimmick and shit. I'm not saying it's the Japanese guys' faults, its booking too, but Cork has a point.