Royal Rumble 2009

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Rated R CMStar

Royal Rumble title matches have the characteristic of one being incredibly predictable and the other one causing you doubts on who will win.

Cena vs JBL? Uhmm, logic says Cena might win, however how HBK gets involved might be rather interesting. WWE has shown that they are not afraid of giving wrestlers 3 weeks reign, so JBL might win the belt and then drop it to NWO. HOWEVER, I see Cena winning when HBK gets involved and he mistakenly hits JBL with SCM.

I see Randy Orton or Triple H winning the Rumble.

edgehead09

Reaction score
MVP is goin to win...or Christian comes back and wins

Airfixx

SD's ME is all a bit of a cluster-fuck at the moment and it seems to me there's no need to garner a Rumble winner from them when they can pretty much just continue with the same 4-5 guys over the next couple of PPVs until they've whittled it down to a #1 contender.

I guess my money would be on Orton or a relative suprise.

If they do a Cena with Batista at the Rumble this year it will have been the most lazy and uninspired bit of booking in recent memory If they do this I'll be flying over myself on the first plane, heading straight to Connecticut and dishing out some mercy clippings.

Reaction score
Cena vs JBL? Uhmm, logic says Cena might win, however how HBK gets involved might be rather interesting. WWE has shown that they are not afraid of giving wrestlers 3 weeks reign, so JBL might win the belt ...

Cena would gain a little more respect if he drops the title to JBL and actually earns the fucking belt for once, not being hand-fed a Royal Rumble and WHC on reappearance from injury.

So, I'm rooting for JBL.

Beth Phoenix vs. Melina for the Women's. At least you're assured of Santino Marella adding the entertainment.

Airfixx

JBL (w/HBK) vs Cena sounds good from a storyline perspective (even if I can't really muster ANY enthusiasm for the prospect of the match itself)... And at least it doesn't seem like Cena is simply gonna coast into WM repeatedly handing Jericho his ass.

I hope they don't blow this HBK/JBL 'load' so soon though and do what CMS said above.... i.e. SCM inadvertantly hits JBL, Cena wins, Jbl beats Shawn down, 'break the contract' match at WM. It really won't work if they have HBK sell his soul to JBL only for him to fall foul of him at the first juncture and then proceed to beat him for his freedom... It would seem so frivolous on HBKs part to have accepted JBLs offer to start with.

We need to see HBK slowly ground down by JBL and see the longer term effects on Michaels' soul & character for this storyline to be a success. This is why I favour JBL v HHH or sumthin' at WM (JBL wins somehow painting an even bleaker picture for HBK). If they can stretch it out long enough, then have HBK v JBL at Summerslam.... IMO they'd have a wicked HIAC (JBL could get brutal and Shawn could be..... Shawn).

Montana

1) I'm still really pissed about Cena vs JBL. Almost to the point, where i would sell my tickets, had the ppv not feature the royal rumble match.

2) I think HBK has be to consider a favorite to win the rumble, considering he is in the main storyline right now. Plus his Mr. Wrestlemania promo and how all he cares about is WM and being the show.

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
The rumble has always had lackluster world title defenses at the rumble. The rumble sells itself, save better matches for other PPV's is the way WWE looks at it.

The past three rumbles have had bad matches [on paper] but yet the rumble still sells because the Rumble match itself is the true spectacle that you pay for. Though if you look at the last three rumbles, yes the matches on paper looked bad but they were actually entertaning matches that are all great moments.

Rumble 08
Randy Orton (c) defeated Jeff Hardy. WWE Championship.
Edge (c) (with Vickie Guerrero, Curt Hawkins and Zack Ryder) defeated Rey Mysterio. WHC Championship

Rumble 07
John Cena (c) defeated Umaga LMS. WWE Championship.
Batista (c) defeated Mr. Kennedy. WHC Championship

Rumble 06
Kurt Angle (c) defeated Mark Henry WHC Championship.
Cena defeated Edge (with Lita). WWE Championship. This feud ended and they just stalled it for the rumble.

2) Honestly have no idea who's going to win the rumble. After what they pulled last year with Cena I'm not even going to begin to spectulate

noumenon

JBL/Cena actually sounds like a great idea to me. But as said, I'm really not looking foward to the match itself.
I'm expecting to see JBL pick up the title with HBK's assistance of course. This could perhaps lead to a "WTF!?" match between HBK and Cena at the following PPV in order to gain a title shot against JBL. HBK would be hesistant to beat Cena, not wanting to face his "boss"...but being Mr. WM he would suck it up. HBK could then grab the title off of JBL at the following PPV...(I believe there's 2 PPV's between the Rumble and WM...if not this is stupid and I'm sorry..lol)
My pick to win the Rumble this year is Orton...which would lead to a nice Legend Killer vs. Wrestlemania Legend for the WHC at Mania.

MattC13

Reaction score
Cena/JBL will end up with Cena winning most likely, but Shawn will obviously interfer on JBL's behaf, and cost him the match.

The WWE Title will be Hardy vs. Edge or Hardy vs. Edge vs. Big Show. Either way, Hardy will probably walk away with the title. I'd rather see Hardy vs. Edge, because for the past 2-3 months we've seen triple threat matchs.

ECW's going to be Matt Hardy vs. Swagger. I hope Hardy wins this.

Women's Title should involve Crazy Rosa fan screwing Melina out of winning the title.

The Rumble....my top four:

1) Shawn Micheals
2) CM Punk
3) Triple H
4) Randy Orton

Even though heels never win the rumble I still have a bit of hope for Orton.

Dylanfsd

Reaction score
Chris Jericho wins the RR. Goes to Smackdown, and challenges Jeff Hardy for the Belt.

noumenon

I dont see jericho winning the rumble. the rumble never seems to be a redemption title shot....it always seems to be someone fresh getting a shot which they have never....or havent had in a long time. i think having orton win the rumble would be a nice shock. as someone said, heels rarely to never win the rumble.

Beer Money Army

not another fuckin cena/jbl, but i guess rumble has always put not real money making matches as the rumble draws itself..

my pick to win rumble is Randy Orton.... if a smackdown member wins i pick undertaker, cause Undertaker Vs Jeff hardy would sell at mania... regardless if both a face, Hardy bring the emotion from crowd and taker is just awesome,, it could top Batista/Taker from Mania 23..

for cena/JBL i hate cena, but i feel bad for him to be feuding with this worthless guy, that only got over cause of eddie guerrero and hasn't made a good feud since then... I hope Cena murders him....

if they could scratch cena/jbl off rumble i would be very impressed, or replace jbl with val venis or hardcore holly

Airfixx

JBL wins with help from Shawn.... HBK wins RR or EC... JBL v HBK for the title @ WM.... HBK's fighting for the title and his freedom (bearing in mind a championship payday in kayfaybe would afford him the choice to no longer take JBLs money)... HBK wins the title for the first time in over 6 years in his home state, returning babyface in the process...

That would be a suitably big WM moment....

Just speculating, like.... ;o]

Axis

not another fuckin cena/jbl, but i guess rumble has always put not real money making matches as the rumble draws itself..

my pick to win rumble is Randy Orton.... if a smackdown member wins i pick undertaker, cause Undertaker Vs Jeff hardy would sell at mania... regardless if both a face, Hardy bring the emotion from crowd and taker is just awesome,, it could top Batista/Taker from Mania 23..

for cena/JBL i hate cena, but i feel bad for him to be feuding with this worthless guy, that only got over cause of eddie guerrero and hasn't made a good feud since then... I hope Cena murders him....

if they could scratch cena/jbl off rumble i would be very impressed, or replace jbl with val venis or hardcore holly

JBL had a great feud with Cena back in 2005 and a REALLY fun program with Rey Mysterio in '06 (could be wrong on that year). The fact that you recommend him being replaced with Venis or Holly shows that you have little interest in anything but WORKRATE~ when it comes to wrestling.

Evil Austin

I seriously have come to like JBL I don't understand why he gets so much heat. Sure he is not perfect but no one is.

- Cena has a very limmited move set, 'Pumps shoes, five knuckle shuffle then Fu into STFU.'

Just an example and most people ride his cock. JBL has the microphone skills of a legend and no one can disagree with that. He can work the mic and really draw you into the match with all the heat he brings. Sure he may not be the most agile man but his size and mike capabilities back it up with his devistating powerhouse moveset. I like the guy.

To be fair he shouldn't get another title reign though saying Holly or Venus would make a better Rumble match I would not even laugh at that.