ROH - Weekly TV Show Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
:lol1:
tumblr_nrr8ztNqhB1ript9eo1_500.jpg

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This week on ROH TV:

- The show starts with Roddy cutting a promo and saying if time hadn't expired, he would've beat Jay Lethal. Roddy wants another shot at Jay Lethal, because neither man won at DBD.

- The Young Bucks (and later AJ) vs War Machine was pretty solid.

- Adam Cole is shown in the locker room, talking about his allegiance to The Kingdom as he compares it to his friendship with Kyle O'Reilly.

- Cedric Alexander vs The Romantic Touch was decent. Diggin' the character progression of CA.

- Jay Lethal is shown in the locker room and bragging about how he's the greatest champion in the world.

- Adam Cole vs Kyle O'Reilly was just a set up for a tag team ME.

- Future Shock vs The Addiction was OK.

All in all, it was a fine episode.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This week on ROH TV:

- ACH vs Watanabe was a solid show opener. ROH's version of Honma wins a match, yay!

- War Machine vs Diesel & Dijak was solid, but nothing special.

- Adam Page squashed some jabroni and both Page and BJ cut promos post-match. Meh.

- The Kingdom vs reDRagon was a good ME.

Fine show overall, I'd say.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This week on ROH TV:

- Dalton Castle vs Silas Young was a decent show opener. Dalton won with a Bangarang after The Boys provided a distraction.
Post-match, The Last Real Man cut a promo saying he's 'damn, damn tired of this!'. He wants one more shot against Castle and when he wins, he gets the boys. Those boys are gonna be his and he's gonna teach them how to be real men! Hilarious. :lol1:

- Up next, it's Bobby Fish interview time! Fish said Lethal has too much on his plate and it's the perfect time for Bobby to take the TV title from Lethal.

- Moose vs Will Ferrara was meh.

- Adam Cole is backstage and cuts a nice promo.

- The Young Bucks vs RPG Vice was a good ME.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This week on ROH TV:

- Dem Boys vs Bloodbound Warriors was a decent opener.
Post-match, The Decade came out for a promo.
Even though Jay should've tried to sell the match with Page, him acting like 'I don't even know who you are' made me LOL.

- Roddy vs Dijak was solid.
Post-match, the House of Truth attacked Roddy, but War Machine made the save.
This was an OK hype for next week's TV title bout 'tween Lethal/Hanson, and also for Roddy/Lethal.

- ROH Tag Team Championship match: The Addiction vs Future Shock was a good ME.
Post-match, Kyle got beat down by Daniels, Kaz and Sabin, then Fish ran in to make the save, but the numbers game came into play.
Afterwards, The Young Bucks and The Kingdom ran in and there was a big brawl to set up the upcoming tag title match.

All in all, decent stuff.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This week on ROH TV:

- This week's ep kicks off with Jay Briscoe vs Adam Page.
Page is being very disrespectful when he refuses to shake Jay's hand and decides to slap him instead. Jay would extend his hand one more time only to get slapped again. That fires him up and then he goes on to kick Page's arse. At one point, Jay sent Page to the floor and hit a suicide dive, but Colby then hit Jay with a crutch. Page then hit Briscoe square in the face with a chair and we got a DQ. Afterwards, Page hit the Rite of Passage on a pile of chairs.
Mark then came out to save his brother from suffering further damage. This angle set up the No Holds Barred match on the 19th in San Antonio.
Given how The Briscoes are being advertised to have an open challenge at the All Star Extravaganza on the 18th, it wouldn't surprise me if Colby and Page ended up being there to take the challenge, and of course, Page would continue to be disrespectful towards Jay and that would ultimately set the match for next night's TV tapings. But knowing AJ, Cole and Roddy are signed to appear, Page and Colby might not take The Briscoes open challenge anyway.

- A video package of Dalton Castle/Silas Young feud is shown. Castle cut a good promo afterwards. Gotta love the stipulation here.
If Young wins, The Boys are his. But if Castle wins, Young becomes one of his boys.

- Coleman vs Alexander was decent. Not a fan of the finish, though, CA should've won.

- Cheeseburger vs Bob Evans was meh. Cheeseburger won via count-out after he put Bob through a table.

- Jay Lethal vs Hanson was a good ME. Lethal hit two Lethal Injections and retained.
Post-match, Lethal and Fish started trash talking in order to hype their upcoming TV title match. Kyle came out next to hype the ROH World title match.
Then Roddy came out and chased off Lethal.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This week on ROH TV:

- We get backstage promos from Martini/Lethal and Roddy, both the champ and the challenger are vowing to win tonight's ME.

- The Addiction vs The Young Bucks was a stellar show opener. This was a ton of fun, and The Addiction retained via LOL. SHENANIGANS.
All that BS led to Nigel coming out, and talking about this not happening on his watch, and therefore made The Addiction vs The Bucks vs The Kingdom at ASE.

- Lethal vs Roddy was a great ME. But, just like in the previous match, screwy finish hurt the match for me.
Post-match, O'Reilly and Fish came out for a stare down with Lethal.

While the episode was very good, I couldn't help but not be OK with how the matches ended.
Both matches came off as set-ups for future matches (they even hyped the ep as a championship edition) and lacked the big fight feel they should've had.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This week on ROH TV:

- reDRagon vs Dijak & Diesel was a solid show opener. reDRagon wins clean, as well as they should, by tapping Diesel and Dijak out.

- #DemBoys cut a backstage promo on the mystery team they'll be facing at ASE. They don't care if it's Godzilla or King Kong, they'll whoop their ass.

- Cedric Alexander vs Dalton Castle was decent. The work was perfectly fine here, but my only complaint is that they should've had a DQ finish, with a Silas run-in. In a way, the lame distraction that allowed CA to pick up the win reminded me of a RAW match, which isn't a good thing.
Post-match, they could've done a heel beatdown, with Moose coming into Castle's aid. I mean, Moose came out to Spear CA anyway, so it would've worked better that way and everyone would've been protected. But, that's just me.

- War Machine vs The Kingdom was a good ME. War Machine picks up the win with a Fallout!
Post-match, The Bucks Superkicked Bennett, which led to The Addiction and Sabin hitting the ring. They laid out The YB with title shots, and the tag champs stood tall to close the show.

- A sweet All Star Extravaganza promo video is aired and that is all, folks!

All in all, this was a decent go-home show for All Star Extravaganza. Looking forward to watching it!

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This week on ROH TV:

- #BigMike Elgin vs Silas Young was a good show opener.
Elgan worked the power game early on, but The Last Real Man's rough style allowed him to turn the tide and take control. After the commercial break, Silas was still in control, but Elgan made the comeback and then they worked back and forth. The finish saw Elgan launching Silas into the barricades with a Powerbomb, followed by aRevolution Bomb in the ring, then 1-2-3 and Elgan wins! All in all, this was laid out well. Stylistically, these two mesh together pretty darn well and I enjoyed it.

- ACH vs Caprice Coleman was good for the time given.
The match lasted around 7 minutes, but they made the most of it, due to their styles and I enjoyed it.
ACH got the win with Brainbuster, followed by a Midnight Star.
Post-match, Corino interviewed CC about the envelope Prince Nana gave him a couple of weeks ago.
CC said that there was money and a letter inside of it. He took the money and then read the letter over and over again till he could finally understand. Then he said, 'I get it. Nana, you were right, but I get it.' before walking away.

- Dem Boys & Goto vs Okada & RPG Vice was a super fun ME, loved it!
Dem Boys & Goto picked up the win when Jay hit the Jay Driller on Trent.

This was a good, enjoyable show. But, the thing that annoyed me is how much this ep is out of date.
It just felt weird watching it, considering it wasn't a follow-up episode to last week's PPV.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
THIS WEEK ON ROH TV:

- Matt Sydal vs KUSHIDA was a good show opener. They worked a fun back-and-forth early on, leading to KUSHIDA getting the advantage, but Sydal took him to the mat, applied the Muta Lock in order to ground KUSHIDA. At one point, KUSHI forgot to sell the leg work, as he got to the tope rope and hit a big Senton onto Sydal who was outside. After some back-and-forth where they were trading strikes and kicks, Sydal hit an Inverted Frankensteiner and this is where I thought the match would be over. But nah, Sydal missed the SSP afterwards, leading to KUSHIDA locking in the Hoverboard. It was just another tease, as Sydal once again escaped and they went into another series of strikes and kicks.
Ultimately, Matt-O won with a Shooting Star Press, as per usual. NJPW guys are usually protected, so having Sydal pick up the win over the (then current) IWGP Jr. champ was a nice surprise.

- The Decade's in the house. Oh, joy! BJ talked about Page not getting main event matches. Thankfully, the segment was kept short.

- Watanabe vs Ferrara vs Moose vs Page was a filler match, but it was OK for the time given.
The final minute or so was fun for me, as Watanabe went on a Suplex City spree and ultimately won the match by hitting STO on Ferrara.

- Nakamura vs Adam Cole was a very good ME. This was a ton of fun and I liked it, but it wasn't great.
It could've been great, if it wasn't for Nakamura's dodgy (leg) selling and hitting 20 Boma Ye's in order to win.
I love the guy, but Boma Ye has basically become Cena's AA. Everyone kicks out of it and it needs to be hit 50x before a guy finally pulls off a win.
It just feels like a regular move. Cole also abandoned the leg work, which was even discussed on commentary by Nigel. Cole was working Naka's knee and then he wasn't.

All in all, a good, easy-to-watch episode, I'd say.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
THIS WEEK ON ROH TV:

- Matt Sydal vs ACH was a pretty darn good show opener.
Despite some selling issues down the closing stretch, much similar to their ASE match, it was the kind of match you wanna showcase on TV.
This may've been my favorite match from their best-of-5 series. Sydal hit an Inverted Frankensteiner and followed it up with SSP for the win and to even the series. It's 2-2 now. Hoping Tomoaki HonmACH can win the big one, finally.
Post-match, The Addiction and Sabin attacked both men. Kaz said that the titles were stolen from them and The Addiction believe that they are still ROH Tag Team champions of the world. The ANX interrupted and then Kenny King implied that he wants a match against The Addiction... The ANX vs The Addiction is going down next week!

- Silas Young & Beer City Bruiser vs The Boys was a fine little segment.
BCB was manhandling The Boys for a bit, but then went to the tope rope and missed a Frog Splash.
The Boys then rode the BCB like a horse, before Silas got involved and laid out one of The Boys with Misery to end the segment.
This wasn't bad at all, but I'm hoping we get some wacky promos/video packages where Silas teaches The Boys how to be MEN in the coming weeks.

- Jay Lethal vs Watanabe was a solid ME. Distraction finishes FTW, though! Hello there, WWE.
Lethal retained when TM slid the Book of Truth in the ring to distract the ref and the low-blow and a Lethal Injection got Lethal the win.

It was a decent episode, but nothing to write home about. The opener was MOTN, SY torturing The Boys was fine and the ME was forgettable.
What sucks the most, though, is that we had to wait 3 weeks in order to get this episode and this was a follow up episode to ASE.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This week's episode was good.

The ANX vs The Addiction was a decent show opener. The finish was too predictable, though.

The Kingdom/reDRagon segment was good and advanced their story, while also setting up a six man tag with Elgin in the picture.
Adam Cole's promo was good here, I must say.

The ME was very good. I enjoyed Jay Briscoe and Page beating the hell out of each other.

So, they finally took Corino/BJ angle to the next level. I've never been a big fan of this and I can definitely live without this match, but this was nicely done.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
THIS WEEK ON ROH TV:

- Nigel was on commentary, due to Corino's actions last week. He said there will be repercussions.

- Moose vs Dijak was a decent show opener. I can't complain, as it went under 5 minutes.
This was a clash of two of the biggest guys in ROH and I enjoyed the athleticism on display in this match. Moose won with a Spear.

- Dalton Castle vs Cedric Alexander was a short, but decent match. Man, it was weird seeing Dalton come out without his boys.
The Peacock was very angry here and it felt as if he was sending a message to Silas Young. He defeated CA via Bang-A-Rang.
Post-match, Veda Scott announced that she would file a lawsuit against ROH for creating an unsafe work environment.

- Roddy interrupted Lethal/Martini's celebration and credited TM for all of Lethal's success. Roddy upset the ROH undisputed champ bu shaking TM's hand and challenged him for another ROH World title match. Lethal declined and asked for Nigel to come to the ring and confirm that.
Nigel got up from the announcers table and agreed that Strong would not get another shot at the ROH World Title, but declared him #1 contender for the TV Title. Roddy held up his end, but Lethal's promo was really good here. Looking forward to their match!

- #BigMike & reDRagon vs The Kingdom was a solid ME. This match never quite pulled me in and I thought it'd be better given the names involved. But, oh well, it was serviceable and set up next week's ME (Styles/Cole/O'Reilly).

All in all, it was an alright episode.

Also... According to PWTorch, there was a big increase in viewership for this week's ROH episode on Destination America.
ROH drew 227K viewers, nearly 100K more than 132K viewers last week.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This week's episode was solid and a bit better than ROH's effort from last week.

The show started with a good promo by Kyle O'Reilly. He talked about the upcoming triple-threat main event, as well as the respect and admiration he has for AJ Styles, but he has no problem going through AJ to get his hands on a man he's got no respect for, Adam Cole [BAYBAY].

The opening match with The Bucks and Silas Young/Beer City Bruiser and then The Boys was okay, I guess, but I wasn't into it all that much.
I've been quite underwhelmed with this whole Silas/Boys thing thus far. Perhaps it would've been better had SY lost and became one of Dalton's boys.

Roddy vs Ferrara was solid for the time given. Granted, it was only 5 minutes long, but it was a serviceable match. Roddy looked dominant, and I loved the finish. Roddy applied the Strong Hold to put away Ferrara, and that seems to be his new strategy heading into the TV title match with Lethal.

Jay Lethal's backstage promo was good as usual. He said he appreciates Roddy's guts and determination, but he's still a loser and claims that Nigel is in Roddy's back pocket and gave him a TV title match when he didn't even deserve it. Lethal then said this is his life, and he is the greatest wrestler in the world.

Adam Cole vs Kyle O'Reilly vs AJ Styles was a good ME given the time constraint.
Adam Cole won with a Brainbuster onto the knee and then a brawl erupted post-match.
The folks that were tossed out by Nigel prior to the match came back and we got a brawl. Ultimately, AJ and The Bucks hit a double Indytaker on Adam Cole and Matt Taven, and then Lethal and AJ had a stare down to end the show.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This week's episode was good.

ACH vs Alexander was a good show opener, which ACH won.

Can't help, but LOL at this whole Veda Scott lawsuit angle. It was easily the weakest part of the show.

CC vs Will Ferrara was decent and the whole Prince Nana angle was advanced in a nice way.

I really liked Adam Cole's Inside ROH segment.

Dem Boys vs The ANX was a good ME. Dem Boys won and they are now 1-1. They'll go to battle again and I look forward to seeing it!

Overall, it was an easy and fun hour to watch.