ROH DVD Discussion/Ratings/Rankings

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Ballin

Reaction score
UWA Hardcore is freakin great, it is (or was) the Canada ROH. You're lucky that you only got 1 Shoot, pretty nice all around.

Havent watched the whole thing, I think the first 3-4 matches but it's actually PWA, I mean the dvd is UWA Hardcore but the matches are from PWA.Is it something like FIP/ROH?. But anyway the wrestling is really really good.

Plus, the AZW dvd I got is really shitty.

Montana

Just Finished watching Transform, and I loved the main event. This was a crazy crazy brawl to end the show, and it made zero sense. But that was the great part about it, it actually tied the show together really well. The show starts off pretty entertaining with a solid 6 man tag, then a Sweeney/Puder/SNS segment. After that some nice midcard matches, however the matches could be a little better. Strong vs. Jigsaw was real good imo 3.0, but the fans were dead for it. Evans vs Jacobs ended too quickly, Aries vs Claudio was solid matchup 3.5, Steen vs. Albright 3.25, Danielson vs. Stevens very solid 3.5-3.75. The only bad match was the Hangman 3 vs Fish/Edwards, and that wasn't really that bad. I was expecting a pretty bad show, compared to others, and enjoyed this show. The main event stole the show for me. 8/10

I Saw Northen Navigations, and i have to agre with SP's rating as it was a top show from this year. Danielson vs Claudio was a good 4 stars, Strong vs Fuji was about 3.75++ Then Steen vs Nigel 4.25, then the main event was another 3.75 good fun brawl to end the the show. I rate it about 9.5 - 9.25. The thing i slightly disliked about the show was the lack of meaning, and promos/storylines. Really there wasn't much happening on this show, just some great matches. I'd probably Rank this as the #3 show i've seen so far this year.

I also saw Bedlam in Beantown, and the show wasn't bad, but wasnt up to par with what ROH has been putting on this year. Ibushi vs Richards was a great match 4.0 . Steen vs Necro was good but short 3.5. The Title was was alright. 3.5. Mostly 3 star stuff on this dvd. 8/10 i believe i rated it.

Montana

Anyone seen New Horizons? I still about the same as i saw it live. I felt undercard sucked, but the top 2 matches were really good. The Danielson/Black match wasn't my favorite matchup of there. Nigel/Claudio was actually a lot more exciting to me. The brawl at the end was sweet. This was pretty ROH's verison of a monday night raw.

They also did not show on PPV, after the nigel/Claudio match Nigel said Cluadio earned his respect and is a good wrestler or something like that and stuck out his hand. Claudio left just left the ring in a errie silence. But it was kinda like the start of his heel turn.

they also editing out a danielson botch kick up, after he hits the drop kick off the top. You'll notice the camera turns to the outside.

Beer Money Army

that's odd of the Best wrestler in the world to botch...

No monty i havent seen it, but claudio getting a title shot :smh

i read a review saying danielson/black was a ****... the undercard sounded bland until Roderick Strong & Naomichi Marafuji vs. Chris Hero & Go Shiozaki and afterwards gets a bit better.. (it doesn't sound up to par with other ROH shows, but it sounds alot better than GAB 2008, (i watched GAB and :smh)

But i'll be purchasing it on dvd in the coming months :)

Montana

Well, some say Black/Danielson is a strong MOTYC, I've mostly seen 4.5 stars. I'd say 4.25 (with the ring breaking) I'd didn't really stand out all that much to me.

I just watched Breakout and Without Remorse. Two pretty average ROH shows. ROH tends to leave something memorable on every show they do on, and these two live up to that. Breakout surprised me a bit. I think with it being a friday show in Ohio, i wasn't expecting much, but those Ohio fans are pretty nuts, and they were a great crowd for this show, that made it that much better. Top to bottom very solid show. Pretty good opener, a good heel/face matchup in claudio/pearce. Then a 3 way for the FIP belt, which was really good for what it was 3.5. Then a no dq match with generico and delirous vs albright and whitmer. I wasn't expecting anything from this and they had a pretty sweet brawl. 3.5. AOTF debuts joey matthews and have an alright match NRC. 3.25 Tyler Black vs Danielson in a great match, 4.5 and it ends with Nigel vs Hero in a cage. Only a 3.25 in my book, but highly entertaining. Chris Hero always puts on a show. 8/10

Without Remorse, i think the fans expectations were a little high for this show. Starts off with a real good tag match. Then it goes into entertainment mode for a little bit too long. Then business picks up and Claudio and Generico have a fantastic match. 3.75-4.0 Then the pace of the show slows down a bit with "so-so" match between mark briscoe vs Joey Matthews and Pearce vs Delirous dog collar. These were more wwe style matches. Both were about 3.00-3.25, not really on par for ROH. THen the big 4 way tag title match. Good stuff here 4.0 Last but not least, Nigel vs Strong in a great great match. For some reason teh crowd was dead, and it hurt the match a little. Both men put on a real good match 4.25. Had the crowd been a little more into it. The match would be rated a little higher. So with this show you got some really good stuff, and some ehh stuff. 7.5/10

Montana

Just finished watching Night of the Butcher II.

1. Kevin Steen vs. Kenny King

Fun opener, the typical stuff you would expect from these two. A nice way to start off the show with some entertainment. ***

2. Ruckus & Jigsaw vs. Jay & Mark Briscoe,vs. Mitch Franklin & Trik Davis vs. and The Phoenix Twins

Cool spotfest. The Phoenix twins looked pretty impressive. ***

3. El Generico vs. Tyler Black

Solid matchup. Two of the top talents, going back and forth. ***1/2

4. Erick Stevens vs Chris Hero FIP Heavyweight Title

This was a pretty good match, but it went 21 minutes. A little long for these two. ***

5. Bryan Danielson & Austin Aries vs. Claudio Castagnoli & Nigel McGuinness

Solid matchup, ended a little early. ***1/2

6. In the Sweet N Sour Gauntlet Roderick Strong

Ehhh, ***

7. Brent Albright vs. Go Shiozaki NWA World Heavyweight Title

Didn't live up to expectations. *** Another longer match, 25 minutes, which should have been about 15 minutes.

8. Jimmy Jacobs vs The Necro Butcher in a No DQ Match

Crowd was pretty hyped for this match. These guys brawled for a while, and happen a somewhat sudden finish. Nothing special. ***1/4

While there was no bad matches on this show, some of the matches dragged, and the matches that should have been the longest, were not that long. The chicago crowd was pretty hyped, but for a Chicago show, i didn't think it lived up to standards. Overall rank 7.5/10 as this one just didn't have much to write home about.

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

OK, so I have already got my mum to order these DVD's for Christmas. Basically, I'm trying to go back and get every ROH DVD, going through the years. I also added in a few that were either cheap, or mustbuy (SOH III). Anyway, here is the list:

Ring of Honor- Generation Now
Ring of Honor- Fifth Year Festival: Chicago
Ring of Honor- Honor Reclaims Boston
Ring of Honor- Supercard of Honor 3
Ring of Honor: The Era of Honor Begins
Ring of Honor: Road to the Title
Ring of Honor: Unscripted
Ring of Honor: All Star Extravaganza
Ring of Honor: Final Battle 2002
Ring of Honor: One Year Anniversary Show
Ring of Honor: Night of the Champions
Ring of Honor: Death Before Dishonor

Yeah, I'm getting a job soon, so I'll be filling out on ROH DVD's. Anyway, has anyone seen any of these shows? If so, could you give a review for me? I wanna see what I'm getting here.

Montana

I've seen a couple of them, im more partial to the newer dvds, opposed to the 2002/2003 years. 2006 was probably their best year. Supercard of HOnor 3 is a great great wrestling show, from a storyline perspective, the show lacked a little.

I just completed watching Battle of the Best. Solid effort. I've read some reviews, and i dont really agree with most. To me, the highlight of this card was Strong vs Richards. I'd say about 4 stars on that match. Stiff tough matchup. The show started off a little slow with a couple ROH vs Dragon Gate matches. But the final matches were all around 3.25-3.5 stars. Danielson vs Nigel was a little slow, but still a classic matchup. Briscoes vs AOTF was a great typical ROH brawl. Then the 6 man was a fun matchup. I wouldnt call this a must see, but certainly a solid dvd.

dark patriot

Reaction score
thanks for the reviews they are helpful since i have a few of those shows which I havent watched yet.

Montana

I thought The Toyko Summit was a fantastic show. I'm not real sure what has appealed me to this show, possibily the ROH/Japan talent roster. Could be the championships and epic matchups. But they really made each match seem important.

2. Austin Aries vs. Tyler Black

Good opener between these two ***

3. Eddie Edwards vs. Kazushi Miyamoto

Short n sweet, **

4. El Generico vs. Taiji Ishimori

Wow, I won't be forgetting who Taiji Ishimori is anytime soon. Both men really showcased themselves well. ***1/2

5. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Davey Richards & Takeshi Morishima

Another matchup that seemed fit for a supercard. Solid outing, nothing over the top ***

6. Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Bryan Danielson (GHC Jr. Heavyweight Title Match)

Great match, probably go down in the ROH memory books. Classic match. ***3/4

7. KENTA & Kota Ibushi vs. Naomichi Marufuji & Katsuhiko Nakajima

Holy Shit ****1/2 Match of the year contender.

8. Kensuke Sasaki vs. Roderick Strong

Another epic matchup, at least it felt that way. ***1/2

9. Nigel McGuinness vs. Jimmy Jacobs (ROH World Title Match)

Old school wrestling, at its finest. ***3/4

I wouldn't say this show was for everyone, but fans of the japanese style, or interested on learning about a few of the bigger name wrestlers, this show was great. One of my favorites this year. 9.25/10

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
good review Montana, I'll pick that up at Final Battle. Did you get the other Japan show from this year?

So I finally got my DVD Order from the Black Friday Sale, I got these...
Reborn: Completion
Glory By Honor III
Time To Man Up
Hell Freezes Over
Death Before Dishonor VI

I'm still unsure of what I'll be getting at Final Battle, it might be just shows from this year.

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

Card looks really good, Monty. I'll try to pick it up after Christmas, with some of the money I get.

Out of the DVD's you picked up HFH, I've only seen Hell Freezes Over. I haven't watched it in a good half year, but by memory, it's a pretty good show. Aries vs Reyes was alright, and there were a few god matches on there like Joe vs Whitmer (lol @ BJ having a good match with someone other than Jimmy), Daniels vs Lethal, AJ vs Sydal and Hero vs Danielson (looking at the back of the DVD, these are the ones that I actually remember as being alright/good).

It's not the best DVD, but it's still solid.

If you haven't picked up Northern Navigation HFH, I'd go with that. I'm getting it soon, and I've only read good things about it.

Montana

I reviewed the other japanese show a few post back. To me, Tokyo Summit was the better show. Battle of the Best felt like a ROH show in Japan. Tokyo Summit was more of a best of, or the supercard of sorts.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
So I finally watched Death Before Dishonor VI on DVD for the first time over the weekend, and it changed my opinion on the show. All of the matches were pretty good, and some of the ones that I didn't like live weren't as bad, like Hero vs Delirious. I still didn't like the last elimination in the Main Event, there were better ways to get Black super over. I just couldn't get into the 3 way with Aries, Black and Necro, it seemed like there was so much stalling there. Here's the rank.

1) Go Shiozaki vs Naomichi Marufuji
2) Pearce vs Albright
3) Steen & Generico vs Shelley & Sabin
4) Nigel vs Danielson vs Claudio vs Black
5) Delirious vs Hero
6) Ruckus & Jigsaw vs The Briscoes
7) Strong vs Edwards
8) Aries vs Black vs Necro

All around, I'd say this was one of the year's best shows, a must see just for the top 3 matches I have ranked.

Montana

The 3 way was more of a entertaining, storyline match. I felt it served it purpose. I also agree the fourway is a bit over rated. Some people even thought it was the match of the year. I think you could argue any of those top 4 matches as match of the night. Go vs Marifuji was a awesome match. So i agree with your rankings, but maybe bump the 4 way up a notch.

I watched Age of Insanity on DVD, and i agree with what i orginally said about the show. I think its one of those under the radar dvds. Entertaining start to finish imo. Only one match greater than 4 stars, but some good 3 star matches you wouldnt expect.