Robin Williams

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Nero_x3

The Architect
Banned
Reaction score
If a person wants to die then so be it. However, the backlash that is placed upon their families and friends is unforgiving, yet it is inevitable. Is it really selfish? No. Could he have changed? Possibly. Do ANY of us truly know what was going on inside the man's mind? NO. Until we do, I'd rather not try to jump to a conclusion about whether or not he's right or wrong or justified/unjustified.

Green Jesus

The Showoff
Reaction score
Fun fact: Suicide rates acutally dropped on countries who made it legal and gave people the choice to go in a painless way. I figure that since you have to actually schedule your suicide there, you have lots of times to change your mind, so there are are no "spur of the moment" suicides. So no, it would not be insane and it would actually protect those that are wanting a way off life.

And seriously, I respect your opinion and I know you think you're treating these people with high regards, but "every death is ugly" is a really shitty statement. Think about this, here in Brazil there is no painless way to die, here people love jumping of buildings and feeling absolute despair and fear while they go down and get squashed to their death. Since the guns laws are moderatadly tight in here it's either that or getting hanged and dying an even worse death, cutting yourself isn't awesome either. All of these deaths that most certainly make us regret what we are doing due to our survival instinct.

So, I don't share DZ's vision that these people deserve to off themselves for being stupid, but I know I would rather have my mother or father to die in their sleep right after reading a magazine and having their favorite supper than to know their last thoughts were "Oh my god, what have I done". So maybe painless death would not comfort you, but it certainly would me.

So, assisted suicide is both ethical AND practical, because it would make sure suicidal people have the time to say "fuck this" and change their minds, and even if they didn't, at least they would go in the most comfortable way possible.

PS: Of course, I am talking only about 18+ people with moderate control of their cognitive abilities.

Green Jesus

The Showoff
Reaction score
And If I were to try to guess the thought process of people who say "life is sacred", I would guess they aren't as altruistic as they think, but actually want to live in the illusion that everyone is happy and would rather have someone die slowly than to have that illusion shattered

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Fun fact: Suicide rates acutally dropped on countries who made it legal and gave people the choice to go in a painless way. I figure that since you have to actually schedule your suicide there, you have lots of times to change your mind, so there are are no "spur of the moment" suicides. So no, it would not be insane and it would actually protect those that are wanting a way off life.

And seriously, I respect your opinion and I know you think you're treating these people with high regards, but "every death is ugly" is a really shitty statement. Think about this, here in Brazil there is no painless way to die, here people love jumping of buildings and feeling absolute despair and fear while they go down and get squashed to their death. Since the guns laws are moderatadly tight in here it's either that or getting hanged and dying an even worse death, cutting yourself isn't awesome either. All of these deaths that most certainly make us regret what we are doing due to our survival instinct.

So, I don't share DZ's vision that these people deserve to off themselves for being stupid, but I know I would rather have my mother or father to die in their sleep right after reading a magazine and having their favorite supper than to know their last thoughts were "Oh my god, what have I done". So maybe painless death would not comfort you, but it certainly would me.

So, assisted suicide is both ethical AND practical, because it would make sure suicidal people have the time to say "fuck this" and change their minds, and even if they didn't, at least they would go in the most comfortable way possible.

PS: Of course, I am talking only about 18+ people with moderate control of their cognitive abilities.
Hey buddy, I said weak minded. Not stupid.

Reactions: edge4ever

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
There is nothing to dodge. You have this ideal that every life is sacred and I clearly disagree. If someone is suicidal, they don't view their life as sacred. I know you are going to say people have mental diseases or that people they care about will miss them, but none of that is important to me. If they have it in their head that death is the only way out, more power to them. I view mental disease and someone who wishes to die as natural selection. I don't wake up in the morning wanting to kill myself, so if someone does that is simply nature taking out one of the millions of beings that it will in that day. I also think suicide is a "Trendy" thing in today's society, and if people are that weak minded that they follow a trend as stupid as killing themselves, I have no sympathy for their "precious life".

I agree with the idea that people should be able to be euthanized if that is what they want. IMO it is a more dignified way to go then being forced to hang yourself or something similar. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but assisted suicide is legal in some places in Europe, maybe Germany or Switzerland? I know I've read some things on it but can't remember off hand. Who are you to tell people the value of their life? IF I were a suicidal person and I had people trying to tell me I can't die if I wish I would tell them to kindly fuck off. Again, I am pro personal freedoms. Someone's choice to end their life is their business. I don't like the idea of someone telling someone else what to do with their body. It goes against everything I value. So again, suicide falls right in line with that. Suicide is a personal choice and anyone commenting from an outside perspective on another person's choice should just shut the fuck up and mind their own goddamn business.

**casually awaits my like from deth**
Thank you. I really do appreciate you replying to my whole post.

There is nothing to dodge. You have this ideal that every life is sacred and I clearly disagree. If someone is suicidal, they don't view their life as sacred. I know you are going to say people have mental diseases or that people they care about will miss them, but none of that is important to me. If they have it in their head that death is the only way out, more power to them. I view mental disease and someone who wishes to die as natural selection. I don't wake up in the morning wanting to kill myself, so if someone does that is simply nature taking out one of the millions of beings that it will in that day. I also think suicide is a "Trendy" thing in today's society, and if people are that weak minded that they follow a trend as stupid as killing themselves, I have no sympathy for their "precious life".

I said that every life is a gift, which is it is, and obviously there will be people that abuse that privilege. This doesn't mean they should kill themselves, however, and the ones who love them should support it. People caring about you and your self worth and what you could accomplish or become isn't important to you? That's harsh bro. We should value one's life more than we support one's death. It is better for a nation and a people to think about others before yourself.

The issue that I have with someone having it in their mind that death is the only way out and they want to end it is that sometimes people are unsure. Someone can feel like they want to die after a lot of stress, bad experiences, and shitty situations. All they need is a little help and support and they can realize that are needed and wanted, recognizing the value of life. If we simply say, "If they have it in their head that death is the only way out, more power to them," we're enabling them to end it and not care about others around them. I am all for personal freedoms as well. This is a personal freedom, however, that won't help future generations as it'll degrade any value we see in life.

I actually agree with you that suicide is very trendy today. Agreed 100%. This is exactly why I don't want to tell people that if they see fit, they can or should just end it. So, someone who's "weak minded" and views suicide as a way out of their mess....should just die and it's natural selection?...no sympathy for their precious life?...hmmm, would you feel this way about your child? if you have any?....they go through a lot and feel that death is the only way for them to end it....you would have no sympathy and not view their life as precious? COLD....

I agree with the idea that people should be able to be euthanized if that is what they want. IMO it is a more dignified way to go then being forced to hang yourself or something similar. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but assisted suicide is legal in some places in Europe, maybe Germany or Switzerland? I know I've read some things on it but can't remember off hand. Who are you to tell people the value of their life? IF I were a suicidal person and I had people trying to tell me I can't die if I wish I would tell them to kindly fuck off. Again, I am pro personal freedoms. Someone's choice to end their life is their business. I don't like the idea of someone telling someone else what to do with their body. It goes against everything I value. So again, suicide falls right in line with that. Suicide is a personal choice and anyone commenting from an outside perspective on another person's choice should just shut the fuck up and mind their own goddamn business.

No one forces anyone to "hang" themselves. People choose to do it in that fashion and they could find a more "painless" way to kill themselves. Idk what naming some countries who legalized suicide has to do with anything?.....I am not telling anyone the values of their life, rather stating that life is valuable because if it weren't, none of us would be here in the first place. I am all for people being able to do what they want with their bodies...and they can....I am just not a supporter of people deciding to kill their body, especially when it may hurt others and affect their lives. It becomes selfish at that point. If you want to get tattoo's, go for it. You want to WWE wrestle, please do . . . But, if you want to kill yourself simply to help yourself, I will disagree...and you act as if I'm holding people in a cell saying, "no killing yourself".....they still can....I just won't support it.

None of us really mind our business, Dolph, you know that. We pick and choose our battles.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score

Please post a link to those statistics. And, even if it did in fact lower suicide rates, I still fear what will happen in the future with this mindset. Essentially, we're raising our kids giving them an option scape goat. Granted, I know that if one wants to commit suicide it'll happen no matter what you do . . . But I couldn't see myself sitting there saying that, "if you truly feel that you need to kill yourself because you don't like your life, please do so." Idk, it just seems wrong.

I respect yours as well. I never once said every death is ugly. It isn't painless jumping off a building.....? I would think you wouldn't feel anything, honestly. Unless you're literally referring to mental pain, which they already feel. And im not trying to be a sarcastic asshole either. Please don't misconstrue that. Also, I'm not saying that certain suicides can't be worse in certain areas or for certain people, but I'd rather try to prevent it and assist in life being treated as a blessing, not a decided curse. It's not about telling people what's good for them. It's about doing what's better for society and caring about life. I'd also like to see statistics on how damaged families are after one commits suicide...your actions can always have worse repercussions.

I feel that people have time to change their minds regardless of "ethical" practices and assisted suicides. That's why treatment exists. You're acting as if people don't have time to think about it.

All in all, I really don't want to stay on this topic too long as it seems we're all set in our ways. But, I do respect and understand other people's opinions on the matter....I just see it as a slow process decaying any value that exists for life moving forward. I would rather support life.

Green Jesus

The Showoff
Reaction score
Please post a link to those statistics. And, even if it did in fact lower suicide rates, I still fear what will happen in the future with this mindset. Essentially, we're raising our kids giving them an option scape goat. Granted, I know that if one wants to commit suicide it'll happen no matter what you do . . . But I couldn't see myself sitting there saying that, "if you truly feel that you need to kill yourself because you don't like your life, please do so." Idk, it just seems wrong.

I respect yours as well. I never once said every death is ugly. It isn't painless jumping off a building.....? I would think you wouldn't feel anything, honestly. Unless you're literally referring to mental pain, which they already feel. And im not trying to be a sarcastic asshole either. Please don't misconstrue that. Also, I'm not saying that certain suicides can't be worse in certain areas or for certain people, but I'd rather try to prevent it and assist in life being treated as a blessing, not a decided curse. It's not about telling people what's good for them. It's about doing what's better for society and caring about life. I'd also like to see statistics on how damaged families are after one commits suicide...your actions can always have worse repercussions.

I feel that people have time to change their minds regardless of "ethical" practices and assisted suicides. That's why treatment exists. You're acting as if people don't have time to think about it.

All in all, I really don't want to stay on this topic too long as it seems we're all set in our ways. But, I do respect and understand other people's opinions on the matter....I just see it as a slow process decaying any value that exists for life moving forward. I would rather support life.
Sometimes it's just hopeless, sure I also would rather support these people to be happy rather than dead, but sometimes death seems like the merciful thing to go after. The statistics I provided will were actually made by Terry Pratchet on his documentary "Choosing to die", where he, a celebrated writer seeks to understand better the concept of "assisted death". The reason? The man has Alzheimer and it's not getting any better, he can't fanthom the thought of losing his mind and his ability to write, which he lives by and for, and he is fully aware that he will never be happy this way.

In the end, apparently he decides he will not go through with the deed, but he is an advocate of it, seeing as him himself know how hard it is to know that things are NOT going to get better.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Sometimes it's just hopeless, sure I also would rather support these people to be happy rather than dead, but sometimes death seems like the merciful thing to go after. The statistics I provided will were actually made by Terry Pratchet on his documentary "Choosing to die", where he, a celebrated writer seeks to understand better the concept of "assisted death". The reason? The man has Alzheimer and it's not getting any better, he can't fanthom the thought of losing his mind and his ability to write, which he lives by and for, and he is fully aware that he will never be happy this way.

In the end, apparently he decides he will not go through with the deed, but he is an advocate of it, seeing as him himself know how hard it is to know that things are NOT going to get better.
There are instances with physical defects where I could understand where one would want to end his life. Or, if one's brain is so out of whack that they can't comprehend the very nature of feeling, life, death, anything...and that could be the family's choice in that regard. All for people being able to choose as they see fit when instances occur that are extreme and irreversible...these instances being where the very fabric of ones being is lost and they cannot comprehend anything about life or what they once loved or cared for. The writer found some sort of value to stay alive....and that's what I like to support.

Everything I referenced above I said in support of keeping life preserved and maintaining how we, as a whole species, value it. I would rather not open a door to all saying, "Suicide is alright....we support it.".....just don't like it.

Again, I do see both sides of the fence and there could be exceptions to a life being taken . . . but, I'm not for saying it's alright for everyone and it's not a big deal if you do it....because it is a big deal. 18 year olds who go through a phase of depression.....we just give them an easy out and support it. I couldn't do that. IDK.

I'll have to look up the statistics.

Reactions: Green Jesus

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
Hey robin, what do you think of these guys turning a thread about you into a suicide debate?

e0f8e529422ddc0f16702b5b81b96618.gif

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Thank you. I really do appreciate you replying to my whole post.

I said that every life is a gift, which is it is, and obviously there will be people that abuse that privilege. This doesn't mean they should kill themselves, however, and the ones who love them should support it. People caring about you and your self worth and what you could accomplish or become isn't important to you? That's harsh bro. We should value one's life more than we support one's death. It is better for a nation and a people to think about others before yourself.

The issue that I have with someone having it in their mind that death is the only way out and they want to end it is that sometimes people are unsure. Someone can feel like they want to die after a lot of stress, bad experiences, and shitty situations. All they need is a little help and support and they can realize that are needed and wanted, recognizing the value of life. If we simply say, "If they have it in their head that death is the only way out, more power to them," we're enabling them to end it and not care about others around them. I am all for personal freedoms as well. This is a personal freedom, however, that won't help future generations as it'll degrade any value we see in life.

I actually agree with you that suicide is very trendy today. Agreed 100%. This is exactly why I don't want to tell people that if they see fit, they can or should just end it. So, someone who's "weak minded" and views suicide as a way out of their mess....should just die and it's natural selection?...no sympathy for their precious life?...hmmm, would you feel this way about your child? if you have any?....they go through a lot and feel that death is the only way for them to end it....you would have no sympathy and not view their life as precious? COLD....

No one forces anyone to "hang" themselves. People choose to do it in that fashion and they could find a more "painless" way to kill themselves. Idk what naming some countries who legalized suicide has to do with anything?.....I am not telling anyone the values of their life, rather stating that life is valuable because if it weren't, none of us would be here in the first place. I am all for people being able to do what they want with their bodies...and they can....I am just not a supporter of people deciding to kill their body, especially when it may hurt others and affect their lives. It becomes selfish at that point. If you want to get tattoo's, go for it. You want to WWE wrestle, please do . . . But, if you want to kill yourself simply to help yourself, I will disagree...and you act as if I'm holding people in a cell saying, "no killing yourself".....they still can....I just won't support it.

None of us really mind our business, Dolph, you know that. We pick and choose our battles.
Hey bro you're not saying anything you weren't saying before, and I don't do this often, but let's "agree to disagree"

Trip in the Head

Jester of Darkness
Reaction score
Maybe this will help lighten up the thread. Rumors that WoW will introduce a "Genie" NPC named Robin apparently

Wowhead.com, a World of Warcraft database site, found an NPC called "Robin ," in the data for the upcoming WOW expansion Warlords of Draenor. The NPC is associated with a 3D model that looks an awful lot like "Genie," the chatty genie that Williams voiced in Disney's popular animated film,Aladdin. The model appears to be a djinn. There are two other Robin NPCs, also coming in with patch 6.01.

The character's presence appears to confirm the story last week that the beloved actor (who died on Aug. 11) would be immortalized in the game. Genie is one of Williams' most well-known performances, and Aladdin one of Disney's highest grossing films of the 1990s.

WOW super fan Alix Hope — also known as The Sha of Happiness — found the model a fitting tribute to the actor and his love of games.

https://games.yahoo.com/news/robin-williams-genie-may-immortalized-023832793.html

Since he was so in to games, this is pretty cool IMO (if it's true) even though I don't play WoW.