Official Football Discussion Thread 2013/14

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Because all you can do is go on the here and now and it's the same reason why people are writing Man United off from winning the title. They've already started grinding out victories, Spurs, Palace and a draw at WBA so it's not like they've been battering everyone 5-0 and they're struggling to do the dirty work.

Like I mentioned in the last post, the tiring legs should start to ease over the next few weeks when they get several key players back which will allow them to rest others.

I dunno what it is, but it just feels like people are trying to bring up anything they can to try and discredit Arsenal somewhat. It's either, wait until they get a bunch of injuries (which they already have) or the only top teams they've faced are at home or none of the games they've had have been a true test yet.

I think the problem Utd have is that they have already lost three games and normally you can only afford to lose five, six max and hope to win the title. So even if they are went on a fantastic run now, chances are they would still lose another couple at some point. Its too early to rule them out, epsically with the league being so close, but I just can't see them winning it for the reason mentioned, and because they are adjusting under a new manager with freakly an avenge squad.

I see Chelsea and City as the favourites because of their squads, and Jose returning gives Chelsea an edge, but if they are still there or there about after christmas then I give Arsenal a decent shot.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
If it had been Pool that won and the fans/people starting claiming they can be title contenders we would be laughed at despite beating both Arsenal & Man U so why is it ok to believe that Arsenal can do it despite us being their hardest task thus far and 2) This is a team that has slowly been slipping down the league for years and just about made top 4 last year. They have a great two months of football and now it's not silly to assume they can win the league? Not trying to shoot down what Arsenal have done thus far because they are doing brilliantly but I just can't buy into it right now.

1/ You weren't our hardest game so far. We struggled more against West Brom. Sorry but you aren't a big team, I haven't looked at a Liverpool fixture and thought it was a big game for over a decade.

2/ I'll flip that around and say we have always finished in the Champs League under Wenger. We are always "up there" and not a million miles away. We were to up till March a few years back when Eduardo broke his leg and Gallas had a mental breakdown.

I guess it depends what happens in January. Hard to make solid picks when big changes can be made in the transfer window. If Man Utd are struggling down the table it's hard to believe they won't spend £50m+ to get back up there, Man City and Chelsea will always buy, etc.

Only worry right now is Ramsey getting injured.

Reaction score
I haven't taken Arsenal seriously as challengers since it became a token battle for them to finish fourth but they've been looking good this year.

Also, reported numbers are Liverpool fanbase is somewhere in the region of 80mil to 120 odd million, so we're still not a "small club" - naturally Arsenal have gained at least 10mil plastic fans and about 1mil Ozil fans in the past month; so whaddaknow.

Man UTD have spend big and spend well, Arsenal still need some better defenders a world class center back or at least someone on a good level (Any German defender tbh) and a better goalkeepr (que Cork saying Sczenzcy is one of the best when I can think of least five or six more better than him in just the Prem).

City need to sort out away form and Chelsea need to get their heads screwed on tight and Liverpool need to grind out results and get a bit of luck on other results around them tbh.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
A good level german defender? What, you mean someone like Mertesacker who's been bossing shit for christ knows how long now.

:kofi1:

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I haven't taken Arsenal seriously as challengers since it became a token battle for them to finish fourth but they've been looking good this year.

Also, reported numbers are Liverpool fanbase is somewhere in the region of 80mil to 120 odd million, so we're still not a "small club" - naturally Arsenal have gained at least 10mil plastic fans and about 1mil Ozil fans in the past month; so whaddaknow.

Man UTD have spend big and spend well, Arsenal still need some better defenders a world class center back or at least someone on a good level (Any German defender tbh) and a better goalkeepr (que Cork saying Sczenzcy is one of the best when I can think of least five or six more better than him in just the Prem).

City need to sort out away form and Chelsea need to get their heads screwed on tight and Liverpool need to grind out results and get a bit of luck on other results around them tbh.

Have to question that part of your post? I don't think in recent years they have spent that well besides Van Pensie, the likes of Nani, Vanecia and the Del Silva boys just arn't good enough for Man Utd and Phil Jones is struggling to live up to his promise. That is partly why Moyes is struggling because he has been left with not the best Utd squad.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Actually more like Hummels or Lahm - Don't buy into Mertesacker as much as other defenders but he's better than the rest of the Arsenal defense.
Yeah because they're realistic signings aren't they. Why not suggest getting Messi in to replace Giroud while you're at it. Jesus.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Get in! Terrific result. Was hoping for a draw going into the match, great to get all 3 points in the end.

Mertesacker, Kos, and Rosicky were all immense. Dortmund probably still should have scored, but overall they just couldn't take their chances. They were also kept at bay extremely well after the goal.

Hopefully a win against Marseille next will be enough to see us through.

CGS

Reaction score
820696015.gif

Just wow. So Ramires, probably knowing he wouldn't win the ball/knowing he's probably gonna trip over runs into the defender and wins the penalty?

Football at times man.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Players caught diving should be given a 10-man ban. I know it's always been a problem, but the past two seasons especially it's been ridiculous.

Aniking

Reaction score
I wonder how it ever came to this. Players go down softly all the time and it's so painful to watch referees fall for it over and over. Nothing ever gets done and it's something that's well entrenched in the game and is never gonna leave.

I know countless people in my country who bash the game because of how soft players are. Whenever they've watched a game or bits of one in the past they always see players diving and going down easy. Although it's the biggest sport in the world, it's still a big negative for me and I'm glad that a vast majority of players in the A-League don't do that shit. Most who do are foreign and I truly hope when it begins to get out of hand the big wigs get on the front foot to stamp that shit out of the game here. Sure it's not a big league, but the game's growing each season and what will hamper it's development is that crap.

CGS

Reaction score
Problem is Ref's will keep falling for it simply because it's something a lot of players practice. So much to the point where it's hard to really tell whether or not it's a foul or a dive. As much as they fall for players diving they also get decisions wrong whereby players have been legit fouled and yet they think they've dived.It's such a fine line.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
This is awful.

How can we crush Dortmund and Liverpool then lose to the worst Utd team in the last decade.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
This is awful.

How can we crush Dortmund and Liverpool then lose to the worst Utd team in the last decade.

Oh so now Liverpool are a good team just because you have lost a game. Utd needed the result more, and on their day the likes of Rooney and RVP can be unstoppable. Arsenal had an off day, but it is their first in awhile to be fair.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Liverpool have never been a good team while I've been alive.