Official Football Discussion Thread 2013/14

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Since the Championship and Leagues One and Two start this weekend I thought it would be a good time to start this.

I take an interest in Brighton (Championship), Peterborough (League One) and Morecambe (League Two).

What League sides do you guys follow and how do you think your club will do this season?

My prediction for the Championship is for Wigan and Bolton to finish in the top two and for Charlton, QPR, Leeds and Reading to get into the play-offs.

I think Brighton might struggle this season, mid-table, maybe an outside chance of the play-offs.

Peterborough should do well in League one but there are a lot of big clubs in that league so they might have to settle for a play-off spot.

Morecambe have slowly been declining and I think they could have a fight to stay in the league.

Someone stick this if you want.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Brighton have a good squad imo, and to my knowledge haven't lost many of the players that got them into the playoffs last season. I think Wigan look the strongest team in the Championship with their signings, and they've got a proven goalscorer in Grant Holt. I think QPR will struggle in the Championship, and I don't see Reading bouncing straight back up either. Watford were unlucky in the final, but they've managed to keep the vast majority of their squad from last season so I see them doing well again under Zola.

My prediction is Wigan & Watford to finish in the top 2. And i'm going to say the 4 teams that make the playoffs are: Brighton, Bolton, Leicester & Middlesbrough.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Premier League obviously, don't support a team but do tend to look out for everything Arsenal.

Support Bradford City though and hoping for a good season in a pretty strong looking League 1. Not sure what the aim is actually, obviously main priority is to stay up but given last years success and all the momentum we have i'd like to see us make as strong a push as possible and see where we end up. Got the utmost faith in Parky.

Reaction score
Brighton have got a relatively got shot of the play offs, they've only really lost Vincent this year but judging by the local paper, that might not be the case. Gracia has had a good track record previously and has made a few good signings, so I think we really indifferent to where we'll be from last season. Though the rumor going around work (surprise I help on the community side of things of Brighton) that the squad is happier with Gracia than Poyet. I'm saying 3 or 4th.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I support the greatest team in the land, the 3rd most successful British club ever, the 5th most profitable club in the world, the only team in North London, the 2014 Premier League winners Arsenal FC.

The 3 relegated sides will go back up. Watford will get beat in the playoff final again.

CGS

Reaction score
I support the greatest team in the land, the 3rd most successful British club ever, the 5th most profitable club in the world, the only team in North London, the 2014 Premier League winners Arsenal FC.

The 3 relegated sides will go back up. Watford will get beat in the playoff final again.

Can't wait till next May. Should be fun

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
I find it laughable that Wenger is saying that Arsenal can win the Premiership this season. They've got no chance in hell of winning it. It'll be either us again, City or Chelsea.

I just hope we buy someone soon, as this Fabregas situation is dragging on.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I get what you guys are saying about Brighton, I can see them challenging for the Play-offs again, just think they did punch above their weight last time and might struggle to do as well this time.

Like I said before I am confident Villa will improve on last season, we have done all our transfer business early which allows everyone time to settle, have a good crop of young players who will just get better, as well as one of the brightest young managers in the game and of course we managed to hold on to our star striker. I say about half way up the table with maybe a decent cup run is a possibility.

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Support Everton in the Prem but I do follow a team for each league in England. For the Championship I will be following Bolton. Always liked Bolton and think they have a chance at promotion with the addition of Beckford. Also if Chris Eagles stays injury free I think they will do well. I follow Tranmere Rovers in League 1 as I live in Liverpool so they are not far from me but I don't think they will do anything better than mid-table. For League 2 I follow Bradford because of their cup run last season but I think playoffs will be the best possibliity

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
I too think Villa will improve on last season. Plus, they've kept their key player in Christian Benteke and got him to sign a new deal. Lambert's done his business early which is a good thing.

Barca have come out and said we've given up hope of signing Fabregas, so if that's the case, i'd like to see us go after Christian Erikkson from Ajax.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I find it laughable that Wenger is saying that Arsenal can win the Premiership this season. They've got no chance in hell of winning it. It'll be either us again, City or Chelsea.

I just hope we buy someone soon, as this Fabregas situation is dragging on.

When we sign Suarez, Fabregas, Fellaini and Cesar, we will look like title contenders on paper.

Reaction score
When we sign Suarez, Fabregas, Fellaini and Cesar, we will look like title contenders on paper.

You really want that guy? Sure he did a lot of goals for us but look at the baggage dude, you really think him being at Arsenal with Wenger is going to change all that? He done it at Ajax when Liverpool was interested.

Imo, Wenger has been making it look like he's trying to buy big but not really chasing it up too much. Fellaini probs will go to UTD if they get their act together and actually make an offer for him.

Atm Arsenal as big of a contender as Liverpool and Spurs.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score

Suarez isn't going to Arsenal. Fabregas is staying at Barca. You have a chance of signing Fellaini and Cesar if the rumors are true, but you've done nothing about those 2 yet and you've had all summer to get the ball rolling.

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Fellaini is going nowhere. His release clause of 22 million expired at the start of the month, if anyone wanted him, they'd have got him by now for cheaper.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I will be following QPR's progress in The Championship and hoping that we can fight back and win promotion immediately. Amazed that Redknapp has stayed around to manage a Championship side, must be confident he can bring us back up to the Premier League in one year.

In the Premier League I will follow the Australian's playing there hoping that they can do well and be in good form leading into the World Cup next year.