Official Football Discussion Thread 2013/14

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
And suddenly Alan Pardrew looks a genuis right Newcastle fans?!

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Great day for Arsenal today picking up the 3 points and Chelsea stuttering. Was quite pessimistic about Arsenal's chances going in and wasn't expecting a win with the way Suarez and Sturridge had been performing lately but I gotta say I was massively disappointed in Liverpool as a whole.

Reaction score
The three at the back screwed us in the first half - second goal, fuck all we could do about it, but the change up in formation to defend against Arsenal was successful in the second half according to stats; mind you, I am waiting for the Arsenal stutter I was hoping SAS would of done it today but no cigar.

Still not sold on City away from home, Man UTD aren't up and running this season and Chelsea is leaving me stratching my head. Might see an interesting top four featuring Liverpool tbh, that'll do for me and a cup would be nice but who knows.

Very interested in seeing Everton tomorrow, could possible be a top four dark horse this season with Barry and Lukakau.

CGS

Reaction score
Really do hate this 5 at the best thing we keep doing. It's just not working. Didn't help that Rodgers implemented it when Coutinho was out meaning we had a shit ton of defenders and no one to really create anything attacking wise. Would much rather us cut one of the defenders out and put another midfielder on instead.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I think Liverpool are much improved this season, but their main issue is that they do relie too much on the two strikers, who are both great, but if teams can figure out how to stop them getting the ball then it goes a long way to winning the match. I see Liverpool as top four contenders, but not title contenders.

Big win for Aresnal and a good clean sheet.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Another win over another mid table side, the big match is next week.

Not that Utd look anything great either.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Another win over another mid table side, the big match is next week.

Not that Utd look anything great either.

They are starting to get into their stride though and it is bit too early to write them off as title contenders. Should be an interesting game a point would be a good result for Arsenal given they have a five point lead.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
No, for sure I'd never rule Utd out of anything, history has proven they are the flukiest team to ever play plus they will probably average 10 penalties a game at home.

I am very confident in us scoring a couple though. Their defence is awful, De Gea aside. Rafael always seems to have a good game against us tho.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
No, for sure I'd never rule Utd out of anything, history has proven they are the flukiest team to ever play plus they will probably average 10 penalties a game at home.

I am very confident in us scoring a couple though. Their defence is awful, De Gea aside. Rafael always seems to have a good game against us tho.

So who would you sign after christmas if you were the manager? I think if you can get a good second striker and pacy centre half to give you another option back there that would be good business.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
A comparable or better striker to Giroud and a versatile defender who can play CB & RB but will accept that he's way way back in the pecking order behind probably everyone else.

Last edited:

CGS

Reaction score
Legit question for everyone right now.

Do you seriously see Arsenal as title contenders?

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Legit question for everyone right now.

Do you seriously see Arsenal as title contenders?

At the start of the season, I said no. Now, yes. I think the way Man Utd/Chelsea have started, and the way Arsenal are playing, I see them a bigger contender, the only team I can see challenging Arsenal is City tbh

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I don't see how people can put forward they aren't contenders right now. They CAN win the title, whether or not they WILL is another thing. Getting through to January in touching distance of the leaders should they not be still in 1st is absolutely crucial. All they can do is beat the teams put in front of them every week and that's what they're doing albeit with several key players missing in Flamini, Walcott, Podolski, Oxlaide-Chaimberlain and Wilshere who's fitness is hit and miss.

CGS

Reaction score
See I struggle to see any really good reason as to why they can be considered title contenders right now and frankly I just feel that people really going all out to claim they can be are only really looking at their short term form. Sure they are playing great football now but what happens when this run of form ends? Can they still grind out results? When guys like Ramsey & Giroud are getting tired legs from playing 3 games a week come Dec/Jan/Feb do they have the drive to keep going?

I dunno I guess that 1) If it had been Pool that won and the fans/people starting claiming they can be title contenders we would be laughed at despite beating both Arsenal & Man U so why is it ok to believe that Arsenal can do it despite us being their hardest task thus far and 2) This is a team that has slowly been slipping down the league for years and just about made top 4 last year. They have a great two months of football and now it's not silly to assume they can win the league? Not trying to shoot down what Arsenal have done thus far because they are doing brilliantly but I just can't buy into it right now.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
See I struggle to see any really good reason as to why they can be considered title contenders right now and frankly I just feel that people really going all out to claim they can be are only really looking at their short term form. Sure they are playing great football now but what happens when this run of form ends? Can they still grind out results? When guys like Ramsey & Giroud are getting tired legs from playing 3 games a week come Dec/Jan/Feb do they have the drive to keep going?

I dunno I guess that 1) If it had been Pool that won and the fans/people starting claiming they can be title contenders we would be laughed at despite beating both Arsenal & Man U so why is it ok to believe that Arsenal can do it despite us being their hardest task thus far and 2) This is a team that has slowly been slipping down the league for years and just about made top 4 last year. They have a great two months of football and now it's not silly to assume they can win the league? Not trying to shoot down what Arsenal have done thus far because they are doing brilliantly but I just can't buy into it right now.
Because all you can do is go on the here and now and it's the same reason why people are writing Man United off from winning the title. They've already started grinding out victories, Spurs, Palace and a draw at WBA so it's not like they've been battering everyone 5-0 and they're struggling to do the dirty work.

Like I mentioned in the last post, the tiring legs should start to ease over the next few weeks when they get several key players back which will allow them to rest others.

I dunno what it is, but it just feels like people are trying to bring up anything they can to try and discredit Arsenal somewhat. It's either, wait until they get a bunch of injuries (which they already have) or the only top teams they've faced are at home or none of the games they've had have been a true test yet.