Official Football Discussion Thread 2013/14

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Ref was an absolute joke. There's not denying that we need new signings, but this match was ruined by countless poor decisions by the referee. If that penalty (rightfully) wasn't given it would have been a different game. Alos, how Vlaar didn't get a second yellow for that challenge on Wishere is beyond me. I'm not normally the one to make excuses, but my God so much went against us.

Having Gibbs, Sagna, and Kos out as (well as Vermaelen and Monreal) should be fun. I'm looking forward to seeing the two-man back line next week.

[video=youtube;4Ru8DMW-grY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ru8DMW-grY[/video]

Reaction score
Ref was an absolute joke. There's not denying that we need new signings, but this match was ruined by countless poor decisions by the referee. If that penalty (rightfully) wasn't given it would have been a different game. Alos, how Vlaar didn't get a second yellow for that challenge on Wishere is beyond me. I'm not normally the one to make excuses, but my God so much went against us.

Having Gibbs, Sagna, and Kos out as (well as Vermaelen and Monreal) should be fun. I'm looking forward to seeing the two-man back line next week.

Joking aside, the two Pents were relatively clear cut from what I've heard and understood. I'd worry about get a new goalkeeper first before anything, if you got someone half decent between the sticks, it's half the defensive battle won. A bloody brilliant goalkeeper with a half decent defense (like Arsenal's) can make a world difference in organization etc etc.

I don't understand Arséne's fetish forwards when there needs to be a lot more love and attention on the back.

Also I couldn't see anything wrong with Villa's actual goals.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Arsenal had the second best defensive record in the league last season so why they would overhaul that I have no idea. They had a bad result and going by Sky Sports were hard done by for the second penalty as Thommo said Koscielny got the ball. If anything it will just force Wenger's hand even harder now.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Joking aside, the two Pents were relatively clear cut from what I've heard and understood. I'd worry about get a new goalkeeper first before anything, if you got someone half decent between the sticks, it's half the defensive battle won. A bloody brilliant goalkeeper with a half decent defense (like Arsenal's) can make a world difference in organization etc etc.

I don't understand Arséne's fetish forwards when there needs to be a lot more love and attention on the back.

Also I couldn't see anything wrong with Villa's actual goals.

No way was the second one a penalty. Kos got the ball before the player.

Despite the lack of depth and few mistakes seen today I'm still quite happy with the defence and goalkeeper. We had the second best defensive record in the league last season and I think Szczesny is pretty solid, so apart from lack of back-up I'm content with what we have. Wenger may be hit and miss with his defence but he's shown that he can manage a good one. The two latest league wins and fantastic run in the Champions League in 2006 is evidence of that.

I don't want to get into a big debate about how we were robbed (even though I did enough complaining in the last post) because I don't want that to seem like it's the only thing I'm upset about. I'm also pretty angry at our awful preparation for the new season has been. The core is there, but the fact that we went into this season with such a thin squad is ridiculous.

CGS

Reaction score
Arsenal

tumblr_mk4kvb9mTW1s9n4cro1_500.gif

not gonna judge the penalties since i didn't catch the whole match but what an awful result for them. Just to add to that Gibbs looks like hes injured, Sagna is probably injured (i'd be shocked if he's 100% fine after a drop like that) and Kos is suspended for a few games. There squad is so lacking in depth for a team that is not only gonna be playing league football but european football as well. Its crazy. Wenger simply has to spend money in the next 2 weeks.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Bad start for Arsenal, excellent start for us. 4-1 win @ Swansea. RVP & Welbeck both getting 2 goals sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
We will still win the league and Villa will still go down.

Also Liverpool will finish mid table as always. Good luck fighting it out with West Brom for tenth place.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Yeah, that was a horrible decision on the penalty call, was clear as day live it was never penalty let alone needing a replay.

CGS

Reaction score
Ok so just saw the penalty calls on MOTD. First was defo a penalty. Although surely he played enough advantage? Second one. hmmmm I ain't 100% sure it wasn't a penalty tbh. No doubt Kos did get a foot on the ball but I dunno if it was enough to rule it out completely. Certainly wasn't a yellow card.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Am very pleased with the result and the performance today. Would have taken a draw. I can understand where Gimmick is coming from, we certainly had plenty of luck with at least one of the pens being iffy (and I too thought that with the ref giving advantage on the first that meant we then couldn't have the penalty), and the sending off was very harsh. But you need your luck in these sorts of games, and I thought we improved a lot in the second half and the manager got his tactics spot on. The score line did flatter us but we had a game plan and worked it to perfection.

Looking forward if we can get at least a point from our next two games (Chelsea and Liverpool) then that would be a good return from a tricky series of games, we then have a very winnable game against Newcastle. Defence is still my main concern, hopefully we can get a better run of games out of Vlaar as I can see him growing into a good leader, and if we get a more settled back line this year then hopefully things will tighten up.

Mignolet's in my dream team so am pleased with his penalty save!

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Not a bad result, we always seem to struggle at Carrow Road and before the game I'd have taken a point with it being the first league game under a totally different style however watching the game I feel we should have definitely won. We were all over them and played some really nice football. Ross Barkley gets his chance and was amazing and even managed to score a brilliant goal.

Arsenal were hard done by but some of their defensive play was a shambles. When Szczesny ran completely out of goal to challenge Benteke was completely un-needed and nearly cost Arsenal another goal. I think that they could struggle this season unless they considerably strengthen their squad.

Man Utd were amazing, I still have my doubts that David Moyes can give them a title but they played very well against a strong Swansea side, Van Persie scored 2 excellent goals and Welbeck's lob showed just how much he has improved over the past year. Wilfried Bony's goal was also a good one for Swansea.

Southampton were lucky in the end to win with a last minute penalty but they dominated the game so they probably deserved it. Ricky Lambert getting the goal from the spot to cap off a wonderful week for him, and I think Southampton have the potential to push for a top half finish this season, Wanyama looked very good on his debut.

Liverpool completely dominated Stoke and Coutinho looks like he is going to be amazing for them this year. I also wonder why they keep looking for left backs, Jose Enrique is a cracking player, he might not be as good going forward as they may like but certainly defensively he is very strong. Daniel Sturridge scores again and really proved that they don't need Suarez to win and if it weren't for Begovic, they could have won by about 5 or 6 goals.

West Ham got a good win and Cardiff look like they will struggle this season, they dominated possession but they only had 1 shot on target all game and they need to start converting their possession into clear cut chances, maybe when their new signing Cornelius starts they might be more clinical but I think they will do very well to stay up. Nolan scored a pretty nice goal.

The Paulo di Canio revolution at Sunderland didn't really get started and Fulham got a nice win although Sunderland absolutely dominated the game. Fulham only had 1 shot all game and 1 corner, which was how they scored. Sunderland had 14 shots and 6 corners with 57% of possession yet couldn't find the net. They'll be hoping that it won't continue and they really should be scoring with how many attempts they had.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Not a bad result, we always seem to struggle at Carrow Road and before the game I'd have taken a point with it being the first league game under a totally different style however watching the game I feel we should have definitely won. We were all over them and played some really nice football. Ross Barkley gets his chance and was amazing and even managed to score a brilliant goal.

Arsenal were hard done by but some of their defensive play was a shambles. When Szczesny ran completely out of goal to challenge Benteke was completely un-needed and nearly cost Arsenal another goal. I think that they could struggle this season unless they considerably strengthen their squad.

Man Utd were amazing, I still have my doubts that David Moyes can give them a title but they played very well against a strong Swansea side, Van Persie scored 2 excellent goals and Welbeck's lob showed just how much he has improved over the past year. Wilfried Bony's goal was also a good one for Swansea.

Southampton were lucky in the end to win with a last minute penalty but they dominated the game so they probably deserved it. Ricky Lambert getting the goal from the spot to cap off a wonderful week for him, and I think Southampton have the potential to push for a top half finish this season, Wanyama looked very good on his debut.

Liverpool completely dominated Stoke and Coutinho looks like he is going to be amazing for them this year. I also wonder why they keep looking for left backs, Jose Enrique is a cracking player, he might not be as good going forward as they may like but certainly defensively he is very strong. Daniel Sturridge scores again and really proved that they don't need Suarez to win and if it weren't for Begovic, they could have won by about 5 or 6 goals.

West Ham got a good win and Cardiff look like they will struggle this season, they dominated possession but they only had 1 shot on target all game and they need to start converting their possession into clear cut chances, maybe when their new signing Cornelius starts they might be more clinical but I think they will do very well to stay up. Nolan scored a pretty nice goal.

The Paulo di Canio revolution at Sunderland didn't really get started and Fulham got a nice win although Sunderland absolutely dominated the game. Fulham only had 1 shot all game and 1 corner, which was how they scored. Sunderland had 14 shots and 6 corners with 57% of possession yet couldn't find the net. They'll be hoping that it won't continue and they really should be scoring with how many attempts they had.

Yeah but by the looks of the highlights most of Sunderland's efforts were long range ones many which didn't really threaten the keeper. As the away side Fulham were happy to soak up the pressure and nick a winner. I see Sunderland being in the mix near the bottom this season, ten new signings is just far too many to expect to gel and I think De Canio's lack of top flight experience will start to tell.

CGS

Reaction score
[MENTION=95]Doink[/MENTION] we are not looking to replace Enrique or anything just trying to get a backup. The only other LB at the club is 20 year old jack Robinson and he just got loaned now. Plus last year when Enrique couldn't play we ended up having to playing Downing or Johnson there so a backup would be very handy.

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
[MENTION=95]Doink[/MENTION] we are not looking to replace Enrique or anything just trying to get a backup. The only other LB at the club is 20 year old jack Robinson and he just got loaned now. Plus last year when Enrique couldn't play we ended up having to playing Downing or Johnson there so a backup would be very handy.

Ahh fair enough, can't Martin Kelly play on the left though? Sure he's played there before

Yeah but by the looks of the highlights most of Sunderland's efforts were long range ones many which didn't really threaten the keeper. As the away side Fulham were happy to soak up the pressure and nick a winner. I see Sunderland being in the mix near the bottom this season, ten new signings is just far too many to expect to gel and I think De Canio's lack of top flight experience will start to tell.

They did have a few good efforts and did tear the defence apart a few times, Jozy Altidore especially should have scored