• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Official Football Discussion Thread 2011/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniking

Very encouraging for Swansea that Brendan Rogers refused an interview for the Liverpool job. It leaves no doubts that he will stay at Swansea and look to continue to solidify them as a permanent Premier League club, at least for the rest of his tenure. Good on him for resisting it.

It was interesting to read that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was in talks for the Aston Villa job as his name has seemingly come from nowhere today. Brendan Rogers and Paul Lambert were the two names I read were the favourites, but it looks as if Solskjaer may have it. I'm keen to see how he does as he just steered his old Norweigen side Molde to their first league title in 100 years. He also won the Reserves League with Man Utd the season before that, so that's a decent start to his managerial career. Could be a big thing for his managerial future if he does well at Villa... of course if he gets the job though.

The problem with Roberto Martinez possibly getting the Liverpool job is the fact he's not a manager held in the highest regard, if you get what I mean. It doesn't help his cause that Wigan tend to start their seasons badly and just scrape through right at the end, but they're on a shoe string budget and I guess all that matters in the end for a club like Wigan is staying in the Premier League. Liverpool picking him wouldn't necessarily be a bad chocie, it'd just be one looked at closely, because if it fails it would likely be detremental to both parties, but if it's a success not only would it be a masterstroke by Liverpool, but it could spell a bright future for a good manager.

Aniking

Apologies for the double post.

Reports have surfaced that Grant Holt put in a transfer request and it was promptly rejected by Norwich.

Sounds to me like he thinks he should be moving to a bigger club for next season, but at 31 he may find that a little difficult. He may still have years left in his career, but it's tough to see a number of clubs lining up for him. This was his debut Premier League season, and yes he was great and probably should be in England's Euro squad, but it was one season.

I wouldn't be surprised if he suffers next season and fails to impress, much like Peter Odemwingie and Hugo Rodallega, who were linked with a number of clubs at the end of last season, stayed at their clubs and had disappointing seasons.

Prodigy

Banned
I hear RVP is stalling contract talks and claims he's sick of not winning trophies. If he does leave, who do you see him going to?

Aniking

I hear RVP is stalling contract talks and claims he's sick of not winning trophies. If he does leave, who do you see him going to?

I read that talks were "tense" so that really isn't a good sign. Apparently we're gonna play hard ball, not sell him and force him to play out the rest of his contract, which ends next season. If that's true, I really can't see the club actually going through with that. He has served the club well, although his career has been littered with injuries, and I can't see anybody standing in his way of trophies.

The thing is, Gael Clichy had been a fantastic player for the club and understandably jumped ship to Manchester City for trophies. Arsenal fans with common sense understand that move, but most just boo the guy and forget everything he has done for the club. The same will happen to Van Persie if he goes to City, and what makes it worse is the fact he was the Captain of the club and decides to move to another top English club. That's why, if he does move, I want him to move overseas, with his destination probably Real Madrid.

But surely his family will convince him to stay seeing how they've lived in the city for the past 8 or 9 years. Apparently his family love London and consider it home over Holland, which is a pretty big deal. I guess we'll see, but the club better do everything they can to make him stay.

The Cork

Banned
No chance we let RVP play out his contract, they said the same thing about Nasri then cashed in a few weeks later...

I think he'll sign, he knows hes the big fish in a small pond and is a guaranteed starter, whereas at Man City he has Tevez/Aguero/Balotelli/Dzeko as competition.

Also, I totally disagree on the Clichy stuff, he was truly awful and selling him for £7m was the deal of the century.

AZUCAR!

Apologies for the double post.

Reports have surfaced that Grant Holt put in a transfer request and it was promptly rejected by Norwich.

Sounds to me like he thinks he should be moving to a bigger club for next season, but at 31 he may find that a little difficult. He may still have years left in his career, but it's tough to see a number of clubs lining up for him. This was his debut Premier League season, and yes he was great and probably should be in England's Euro squad, but it was one season.

I wouldn't be surprised if he suffers next season and fails to impress, much like Peter Odemwingie and Hugo Rodallega, who were linked with a number of clubs at the end of last season, stayed at their clubs and had disappointing seasons.

Don't worry about double posting

As for Holt, i'm thinking the same. But he's a key part of Lambert's team and has been since Lambert first arrived at Norwich. I didn't think Holt would do well to be honest this season in the Premiership, but he's proved me wrong as i'm sure he has with any other doubters he had.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Martinez needs more experience before even having a chance of becoming Liverpool in my opinion, Martinez should go to Villa not to Liverpool. As a Liverpool supporter, I'd like Rafa to return because I don't want to have some manager young who is going to crack under the pressure of managing Liverpool after losing a few games. Yeah Martinez handled the pressure of losing 12 games in a row at Wigan but Liverpool is a completely different story.

Yeah because bringing back a former manager really worked out for you last time lol.

Randy Lerner certainly has a strange recruiting policy when it comes to managers. Taking a gamble on Solskjaer smarks of what West Ham attempted when they hailed Zola. Acording to reports he is likely to turn the job down due to a mix of family and not being ready for it.

Aniking

No chance we let RVP play out his contract, they said the same thing about Nasri then cashed in a few weeks later...

I think he'll sign, he knows hes the big fish in a small pond and is a guaranteed starter, whereas at Man City he has Tevez/Aguero/Balotelli/Dzeko as competition.

Also, I totally disagree on the Clichy stuff, he was truly awful and selling him for £7m was the deal of the century.

Exactly on both accounts, but I wholeheartedly disagree with the Clichy statement.

The club would likely do the same thing they did with Nasri before forcing Van Persie to play out the rest of his contract. It's just a courtesy thing, but if he was to go anywhere else in England than it'd be to Man City, which would be silly because, as you said, they have Tevez/Aguero/Balotelli/Dzeko.

Clichy was definitely not awful for the majority of his Arsenal career, but I will admit his last season with us was crap and a part of me was fine with him going if it meant Gibbs could show his potential each week. That's happening, plus Clichy got what he left for, so I guess a win-win for both parties... even though Wenger dipped into the bargain bin to buy Santos, who is terrible defensively.

As for Holt, i'm thinking the same. But he's a key part of Lambert's team and has been since Lambert first arrived at Norwich. I didn't think Holt would do well to be honest this season in the Premiership, but he's proved me wrong as i'm sure he has with any other doubters he had.

Apparently, the story goes that Holt and the club were holding talks over a new contract, Holt didn't like the offer and therefore handed in a transfer request that was shot down on the spot. By all reports Holt is actually happy at the club, but he handed in the transfer request to make a point, which was probably to scare them into offering him what he wanted. Be interesting to see if the club offers him a little more or if they'll take the stance of "take it or leave". He's already one of the top earners at the club.

AZUCAR!

Norwich City chief executive David McNally insists the club have not fallen out with striker Grant Holt after rejecting his transfer request.

McNally said: "We have not had an argument or row with any player including Grant.

"The club is very grateful to all of the players for another great year."

He added: "Players with time left on their contracts will only leave NCFC if we are happy for them to do so."

Does sound like a contract issue judging by that. Can Holt be included for the 2 friendlies before the Euro's? or does Roy have to use the squad he's got for the Euro's? Because if he can pick Holt, i'll be interested to see if he does get picked.

Onto other news, i've just read on The Sun website that Venky's are likely to sack Steve Kean. Apparently Brett Lee (who's sponsored by Venky's) posted a tweet saying he'd been fired but he later removed it. The owners haven't listened to the fans since they came to the club, they god rid of Sam for no reason, then gave the job to a guy who isn't suited for management. And he apparently said he'd get them to mid-table this past season and that he'd win the Carling Cup. Yet both never happened. If Blackburn stand a chance of coming straight back up next year, they'll need to dump Kean.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
I can see why Holt would want a move at his age and with the season he just has he does not want to miss the chance of playing for a bigger club. Then again often the grass is not always greener on the other side and likes of Kevin Philips have proven than if you stay fit and play more with your brain than your body, you can still do it later in yoer in your career. Holt should just take stock of what he has and see out his contract.

Have a funny feeling than Blackburn won't sack Kean. The perfect chance to sack him was at christmas and they held off and held off. Guess there is something they like about him, maybe keeping him is cheap and easier than bringing in someone better.

Aniking

Except Kean has been sacked by Blackburn and has been given a role in the club that pays the same salary. I don't think this has been completely confirmed, but let's just say I have my sources :p

AZUCAR!

Didier Drogba is leaving Chelsea on a free transfer.

So let the speculation of where he's going to play next season begin

Dale

Super Moderator
Haven't posted in here in a while so will run over some of the talking points since then.

Martinez would be a poor appointment for Liverpool imo. Seems like a less established, less experienced version of the Roy appointment, but at least Roy turned Fulham round and took them to the UEFA Cup final or whatever it's called. The best quality I see people saying about Martinez is his pretty football which is fair does, but for 75% of the season Wigan are absolutely fucking awful and rightly so look like the relegation fodder that they are, but they have a good last quarter of the season and manage to scrape enough points together to see them safe. If the Liverpool owners are willing to give the next manager a bunch of money like they did Kenny, there's no real reason why they shouldn't be getting a much higher quality manager.

The Villa vacancy is a tricky job to take. I know Solskjaer has turned the job down, but I honestly think it would have been a pretty good gamble actually. The guy knows the league and given his obvious connection with United, would have certainly used the loan market to take some of the fringe players as I can't see the owner spending much money even though they desperately need it. Martinez and Lambert have also been touted for the job but I think they'd be crazy to take it.

Didier Drogba leaving Chelsea couldn't have happened at a better time, pure fairy tale ending. I believe he said he wouldn't go to another English club, but I think Arsenal could do a lot worse than trying to tempt him to the Emirates on a 2 year deal.

Think that about sums it up.

AZUCAR!

Eden Hazard has finally announced which team he's playing for next season and it isn't us or City. It's Chelsea.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
1. The point you are missing about Wigan Dale is that given their setup, lack of resources and the fact they are selling club the chances are they are always going to be near the bottom and fighting the drop, and this season they looked even more certain to go down than ever before. So the great escape they pulled off was really impressive and Martinez did a great job. For the time being staying up every season is good enough for Wigan, so you cannot judge his performance there in the same way as you would at Liverpool. It would be a step up however he is one of the brightest young managers in the country and the reality is that Liverpool might struggle to be a top four club for quite awhile yet. I think he would be worth the gamble.

2. Solskjear would have been out of his depth, it is too soon for him having on managed in the Norweigan league, to his credit he relized that. Lambert and Martinez may feel they have taken Norwich and Wigan as far as they can, fact is Villa are a bigger club and apart from the fact they wouldn't have much to spend, the set up is there for the right manager to turn them around. Given the lack of better options as a Villa fan I would be happy with either.

3. The timing for Drogba to leave Chelsea is perfect for him, but I think the club could have gotten two more decent years out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.