Official Football Discussion Thread 2011/12

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Interesting news coming out of West Brom today. It looks like Steve Clarke (former assistant to Jose Mourinho at Chelsea & assistant to Zola at West Ham as well as Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool) looks set to be named the new West Brom manager. In what will be his first managerial job. He learned a lot i'm sure under Mourinho and Dalglish, so it may turn out to be a good appointment

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Its a bit of a desprate appointment if it does happen. Sounds like West Brom are struggling for better options. Fair dues he has been a great number two and deserves his shot, but to go straight into a premier League job first time around might be a bit much.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
They were linked with someone who managed Schalke too.

In other news, it looks like Norwich are going to be replacing Paul Lambert with Chris Hughton. So much for Norwich's Chief Executive saying they were looking for a World Class candidate. But Hughton did a good job at Newcastle before getting the sack, and did an ok job at Birmingham last season.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Think Hughton is a solid choice for Norwich. He won't try and change too much at least not at first will add one or two of his own players but will mostly work well with what did them well last season. Seems a good man to man manager too.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Both good appointments.

Hughton is mad underrated.

Aniking

Reaction score
From what I've read, West Brom wanted Chris Hughton but didn't wanna pay 2 million pounds for him, and they offered the job to Ralf Ragnick who turned it down. Steve Clarke isn't their first choice, but he could prove to be a masterstroke if it comes off.

Hughton has officially been appointed manager of Norwich. He'll attempt to keep Grant Holt at the club.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
According to The Sun, we're going to be signing Luca Modric for £25 million with £5 million in add-ons. I don't believe that for a second, especially because we have enough central midfielders as it is, and the fact that Spurs didn't let him go last summer when Chelsea showed interest. He still has 4 years left on his contract at Tottenham and Harry wants to keep his best players. If we're going to make a move for Modric, it should probably be this time next year when no doubt Scholes would've retired again, and possibly Giggs too.

And according to the Poland national manager, we're going to be signing Robert Lewandowski from Dortmund. He's proven to be a good goalscorer for Dortmund and i'd be all for him signing for us. But I would assume first, Fergie would have to get rid of Berbatov. If this is going to happen of course.

Aniking

Reaction score
I wouldn't actually be surprised if Man Utd do snap up Modric. I'm pretty sure Modric was keen on the move to Chelsea, but Tottenham's chairman(?) Daniel Levy ensured no 40 million pound move was going to happen. It's likely he'd do the same, but you never know.

Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck and Lewandowski. That's a pretty potent and diverse forward line. Be interesting to see who partners Rooney up front, as you'd think Rooney would be the undisputed first choice.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Yeah, Rooney would be the dead cert first choice. Now we've got Kagawa (pending the work permit) it should be interesting to see what formation Fergie plays next season, especially if we do sign Lewandowski. Because Kagawa likes to play behind the striker, the only likely formation I can think of is 4-1-2-1-2

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I think Utd need to focus more on midfeld than up front, they are missing that great play maker which could make them great again. Moderic would be a good buy, but they are restricted money wise and I think Spurs might be asking too much for them.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Dortmund are saying that Lewandowski is staying put, which if it's the case, sucks.

Queens Park Rangers look to be signing Robert Green on a free transfer too, from what i've read. So i'd assume perhaps Paddy Kenny will be shown the door, especially as Radek Cerny has been given a new deal by Mark Hughes

And finally, it looks like Di Matteo will be the new Chelsea boss. Apparently they're going to give hima 12 month rolling contract, which makes sense considering some of the past managers they've had and the compensation Abramovich has had to pay, after they've been sacked. And of course, it gives Chelsea the chance to go after Guardiola in 12 months time possibly.

Last edited:

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Dortmund are saying that Lewandowski is staying put, which if it's the case, sucks.

Queens Park Rangers look to be signing Robert Green on a free transfer too, from what i've read. So i'd assume perhaps Paddy Kenny will be shown the door, especially as Radek Cerny has been given a new deal by Mark Hughes

And finally, it looks like Di Matteo will be the new Chelsea boss. Apparently they're going to give hima 12 month rolling contract, which makes sense considering some of the past managers they've had and the compensation Abramovich has had to pay, after they've been sacked. And of course, it gives Chelsea the chance to go after Guardiola in 12 months time possibly.

Well that pleases me as a Villa fan as it means their interesti in Given should end.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Harry Redknapp has left Tottenham. Didn't see that coming. David Moyes is the favorite to get the job.

Aniking

Reaction score
I'm not that shocked as I've been reading stories regarding his contract situation and it really wasn't secure. What I was surprised about was the reason why he was apparently axed - because Tottenham didn't make the Champions League. Now I know they probably should've come third instead of us, but they still came fourth and only haven't made it because of Chelsea actually winning the league, so that's a bit harsh. Also, the Owner of Tottenham (not Daniel Levy, he's the Chairman) was the one who made the decision as he wants a younger manager to step in and take the team to the next level as he feels with the money invested into the team these past few seasons, Tottenham should be title contenders. The main two names to have been pitched are David Moyes and Roberto Martinez.

Personally, I hope Moyes gets it. He will be offered decent funds, funds he has pretty much never had at Everton, and I'm sure he could do wonders for the club. Moyes also brings out the best in Steven Pienaar when at Everton, so he'd definitely do the same at Tottenham, and that basically accounts as a signing seeing how Pienaar was absolutely wasted for the first half of the season before moving out to Everton on loan.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I could be totally off the mark here, but I believe it maybe finacial. Redknapp knows that to take Spurs to the next level they will need to reinvest and having already spent quite a lot under him I don't they would be willing to give him much more. It is a shame he has done a fantastic job, as good as any Spurs manager of the modern era and will be a tough act to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.