Official Football Discussion Thread 2011/12

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Fantastic finish! I thought City would win it, but didn't expect them to do it in such dramatic fashion, also when it was 2-1 Rangers and going into added on time I couldn't see anyway back for them. Still as someone said they are deserved champions.

Good result Arsenal getting third after the start to the season they had. Well done to QPR, bad luck Bolton, but if they keep hold of Coyle think they will bounce straight back.

Am about to watch MOTD and I can't wait to see McLeish's response when asked if he will still be at Villa Park next season lol.

Have a good summer everyone, this season has been a blast, lets do it all again in September.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
From Joey Barton's twitter account

"People are forgetting Tevez started the fracas by throwing a punch to the head.

"Can do nothing but apologise to the players and the fans. Still don't think its a sending off."

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Now that was an awesome way to finish the season. Was watching the QPR game since I wanted them to stay up, was happy when Stoke scored but when Bolton went 2-1 up I thought that we were done especially since we were one goal down. Was an incredible performance to get 2-1 and stay that way for so long with 10 men and I think that once we knew that Bolton drew they backed off a bit because the pressure was off. Fantastic work by Man City to win, who would have thought that when Man United were 8 points up a month or so ago. Nice to see a new team win the title and I am very happy that QPR managed to stay up, in fact all the promoted teams from last year stayed up which is a quality effort.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Kenny Dalglish has been sacked as Liverpool manager. Not really a surprise to me, their form has been poor during the season, especially their home form. The American owners apparently want Champion's League football, and even though Kenny got Liverpool their first trophy in however many years, finishing 8th, especially behind Everton after spending all the money they did last summer wasn't good enough for them.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I think the main factor was that they spent so much and got so little return. Liverpool have been on the slide since Rafa's last season and with the likes of Spurs steping up, it was a bit unrealistic to expect Champions League Football to be secured in his first full season. I understand the decision but think they should have given him another season.

Aniking

Reaction score
I definitely understand the decision, but I'm not really sure about it. I would've at least given the guy one more year and a chance to turn it around, but it is what it is. He spent quite a fair bit of money and really they should've been fighting for a Top 4 spot, and to finish 8th, especially below Everton, is a very disappointing result. They probably didn't trust him to spend money wisely and to turn the club around, so they sacked him.

First Alex McLeish was sacked (which seems to have been overlooked here) and now Kenny Dalglish, two of the three men who had the axe hanging above their heads for most of the season. The other man is Steve Kean, who is surely going to be sacked very soon. He probably should've been sacked long before Dalglish, but it goes to show how little Venkys know about football. If this continues, Blackburn may have a grim future ahead of them.

So as it stands, there are three jobs currently vacant - West Brom, Aston Villa & Liverpool. The favourites for West Brom & Aston Villa are Chris Houghton & Paul Lambert, with names like Roberto Martinez and Brendan Rogers also being thrown around.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Liverpool fans want Mourinho or Guardiola too, from what I was hearing last night. Which is pretty laughable, because Mourinho isn't going to be leaving Real Madrid and when the time eventually does come for him to leave, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up replacing Sir Alex Ferguson. And Guardiola, he's already stated he's burned out and wants to take a year off.

In other news, Michael Owen is going to be leaving us on a free transfer which isn't a surprise. He's stated he's not going to retire also, so it'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Lambert or Matentiz would be my choice for Villa, both young forward thinking managers who would have long term plans. The Football would be good and the expension of the promising youngsters would countine also both can produce on tight bridgets which is what we have.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Liverpool have been given permission to talk to Martinez

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Think that might be too big a offer for him to turn down. He has gone as far as he can at Wigan.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Too big a job for him, IMO.

That being said, it'd take a very shit manager to have a worse season than Dalglish had, so the only way is up I guess.

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
I'd take Martinez any day of the week, top class

Shaun

Reaction score
Martinez needs more experience before even having a chance of becoming Liverpool in my opinion, Martinez should go to Villa not to Liverpool. As a Liverpool supporter, I'd like Rafa to return because I don't want to have some manager young who is going to crack under the pressure of managing Liverpool after losing a few games. Yeah Martinez handled the pressure of losing 12 games in a row at Wigan but Liverpool is a completely different story.

Lewb

Reaction score
Beating Arsenal at the Emirates, thrashing Newcastle, beating United and Liverpool. With the squad he had. He truly is one of the better managers in the league. I think it could be a very inspiring appointment if he gets it.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Villa are apparently in discussions with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer about the job there.

Liverpool tried to approach Swansea to try and get an interview with Brendan Rodgers, but he's said he's not interested in the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.