Jack Swagger - Is this his time to shine?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
SD_703_Photo_082.jpg

Jack Swagger returned to WWE programming after a five month absence on Smackdown two weeks ago and announced that he wanted in on the number one contender Elimination Chamber match. During his last run in WWE before this absence Swagger did manage to win the US title but was mainly used as a jobber and just didn't have any clear direction at all. He was paired with Ziggler for a bit but they didn't really go far as a team and Swagger was just treading water on RAW. So far from his two Smackdown appearances it seems like we are getting back the Swagger that is a focussed wrestling machine. He has that intensity back that he had early on in his career and hopefully his offense will continue to based around mat wrestling and suplexes.

Swagger has had a very up and down career. He was an early acheiver after debuting on ECW starting with an undefeated streak that included winning the ECW title just four months after debuting. After a successful run as champion he was drafted to RAW and a year on RAW he won the MITB match at WM26. Then the week after winning it he cashed in the briefcase to win the World Heavyweight championship. That win was sort of the beginning of the downfall as he wasn't really taken seriously as World champion as he had been given no build up at all. After he lost the title he completely fell out of the title picture and since then has never been able to make it back to the top.

Swagger obviously has a lot of talent so is this the time for him to make another run to the top? What are your thoughts on his return? Can he fulfil his potential and become a mainevent star like he threatened to do early in his career? Do you think that he has what it takes to be a regular maineventer?

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
If you notice, the same thing is the issue with the Miz. His whole face run has fallen flat and in both instances, (i.e Swagger and Miz) it would have been much more successful if they had drawn out the push instead of an abrupt shove to the fore. (Swagger went from guy beating his chest to wearing a Jericho-esque suit? I clearly remember Swagger coming out in a suit after he cashed in the MITB case and won the title. I was like, WTF? And with Miz, the whole thing is just...awkward.)

I guess he could. Swagger is the "All American-American" is he not? Why not have a triple threat between Cesaro, Miz and Swagger for the US title? The issue here is that once you've been knocked down back to the mid card, you need to work your way back up, specifically if you're not someone like say, Orton, Show or Kane.

I guess Miz could defeat Cesaro at WM and then they could have a drawn out feud between Miz and Swagger for the US title while Cesaro moves on to other stuff.

lol @ Booker T btw. "Oh...Swagger! Where you been dawg?"

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I don't have anything against Swagger, but I'm definitely not a fan of the guy. He can wrestle good, but it just seems like he's had so many chances the past few years, and WWE's messed up on them all. I just don't care about the guy anymore.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
I don't have anything against Swagger, but I'm definitely not a fan of the guy. He can wrestle good, but it just seems like he's had so many chances the past few years, and WWE's messed up on them all. I just don't care about the guy anymore.

Swagger: Identification with Mr. Kennedy :Orton:

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
I like the guy quite a bit but he has no promo skills and the cheesiest smile I have ever seen. I don't see fans ever getting behind him and he's just too goofy to be a successful heel. I think he could have a solid career as a good midcard guy but don't see more than that.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I honestly enjoyed his last title reign, really brought out the best in him. I think his promo skills are fine, if people have a problem with the lisp, they need to get passed that. He's perfectly capable to speaking. I am certainly liking the direction they are going with him though.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I get the feeling he's gonna be a Shelton Benjamin or John Morrison sort of dude where they are determined to push him but they will get bored when the new next big thing comes along and probably end up releasing him.

He could do just as good a job as Danielson, Del Rio or any of the other guys who've had runs with the secondary belt, but I feel like the real damage has been done and nobody really cares about him now.

Only so deep you can bury a guy before it becomes impossible to exhume them.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
As much as is enjoy Swagger i don't think this push is gonna lead to a world title maybe 1 or 2 title shots, hell he might even be back in the MITB match this year but by the time SSlam comes round i'm pretty sure he's gonna be jobbing in opening matches.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
This just reeks of act like we are going to seriously push him but not really like they have done many times. If they were actually serious and fully committed they would have built up this new attitude and character rather than him just coming back out of the blue saying look I got facial hair now and kind of angry too. This pissed off Swagger thing could work if they put a good mouth piece on him to put him over and actually put effort into it but that doesn't seem to be what they're doing.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
This just reeks of act like we are going to seriously push him but not really like they have done many times. If they were actually serious and fully committed they would have built up this new attitude and character rather than him just coming back out of the blue saying look I got facial hair now and kind of angry too. This pissed off Swagger thing could work if they put a good mouth piece on him to put him over and actually put effort into it but that doesn't seem to be what they're doing.

Thats what I'm worried about.

As for needing a mouth piece or being bad at promos, the only thing possibly holding him back their is his lisp, Dusty Rhodes had a lisp. He's still a confident talker and knows how to play his gimmick.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
I like the guy quite a bit but he has no promo skills and the cheesiest smile I have ever seen. I don't see fans ever getting behind him and he's just too goofy to be a successful heel. I think he could have a solid career as a good midcard guy but don't see more than that.

And this, specifically the underlined bit. His titantron has multiple shots of this ffs.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

But. I still have nothing against the guy, and tbh I even kind of like him in some ways, but as The Cork re-iterated my point, there's only so much you can push down a guy until eventually there's no hope for any kind of return. This whole pissed off Swagger thing just seems like a sloppy attempt to redeem him, and the thing is it seems like way too little, too late.

Those two gifs make it kind of hard for me to believe that guy has a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Hey! The Swagger Soaring Eagle with freaking comedic gold. I've always been a fan of Swagger doing his little run around the ring.

Anyways, I'm scared that it is a little too late, but I'm sure every one thought that with Mark Henry, and he was part of a lot more goofy segments then anything Swaggers done. If they really commit to it, they can redeem him. And having him as a pissed off American could do that.

Nerotheory

Reaction score
I think a good way to get Swagger over with people is have him team with Cesaro a month or two. Then have Cesaro cut a promo how no America can beat him and have Swagger snap and beat down Cesaro getting disqualified in a few matches. Leading up to a cage match where Swagger beats Cesaro for the US title and heres the thing keep Swagger heel the whole time.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
WWE finally got their heads out of the clouds and got Swagger a true mouthpiece! About damn time, and going with Dirty Dutch Mantel was a nice choice for sure. And before anyone says Vickie, she was Dolph's manager, Swagger was just kinda' there.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2