Horror Movie Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Starr

Reaction score
The 2003 TCM wasn't too bad either. I didn't find it overly as creepy as I did the original, but it was a good one too. Realistically the TCM movies don't get as much love as they realistically deserve. That's certain.

Yeah, the whole thing was a little bit of a twist, but I feel it made a good story.

Grym Reaper

Reaction score
Long-time Horror fan here, always been my favorite genre. I enjoy a lot of the major flagship series like Friday The 13th, Halloween, Nightmare On Elm Street, Saw, Scream, etc. but my personal favorite series is one a lot probably aren't aware of, Phantasm. Any Phantasm fans? I love all the movies to death, with the second one being the best, IMO. It recently got released in a great new Blu-ray edition.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I've been meaning to pick up that Phantasm II Blu Ray, would you say it's worth buying?

Grym Reaper

Reaction score
Definitely. They really went all-out with the special features, stuff like the making-of, behind-the-scenes footage, deleted scenes, etc. all great.

Grym Reaper

Reaction score
On the subject of Horror, one of my favorite series and one that gets a pretty undeserved bad rap IMO is Saw. Anyone here like the Saw films? I think as a whole it's a great series and it was a lot of fun every October catching the newest sequel and seeing where the story was headed. Jigsaw's an awesome villain.

I'd rank the Saw movies in my order of preference as:

Saw II
Saw
Saw VI
Saw V
Saw IV
Saw VII
Saw III

I'm really partial to the second one, I just dig the premise and the twist, and how it develops Jigsaw more.

Reactions: 1 person

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I liked Saw II even though I found it to be a rip-off of Cube. I've seen the others but I honestly can't remember much about them since they all seemed to blend together.

Grym Reaper

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if another entry gets made at some point. There's already been talk of a reboot which I'm honestly not too opposed to since I think the concept has a lot of untapped creative potential that sadly got lost later on.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
Saw was good, Saw 2 was great, the rest sucked ass. I lost interest after the fourth and just watched them to see what was going to happen next. The worst part was we already knew what was going to happen next since they were all mirrors of each other.

Grym Reaper

Reaction score
I'd give the series another chance, Saw VI IMO is one of the best next to the first two, however you need to see 4 and 5 before it since those two have some pretty big plot points that tie into the sixth one. It's worth it though, as the sixth one brings back a lot of the magic of the first two.

Reaction score
On the subject of Horror, one of my favorite series and one that gets a pretty undeserved bad rap IMO is Saw. Anyone here like the Saw films? I think as a whole it's a great series and it was a lot of fun every October catching the newest sequel and seeing where the story was headed. Jigsaw's an awesome villain.

I'd rank the Saw movies in my order of preference as:

Saw II
Saw
Saw VI
Saw V
Saw IV
Saw VII
Saw III

I'm really partial to the second one, I just dig the premise and the twist, and how it develops Jigsaw more.

They get a bad rap because they're the poster child for a movie studio doing sequels for the sake of just making money. The first Saw was perfect. A little indy-like picture with some new ideas on the horror genre and they went to work on it. Saw 2 failed in every possible way because it completely changed the plot and it was a bad rip-off of Cube. Saw 3 showed some potential as they went back to focusing on just a couple of people. Not great, but if you had to have a Saw sequel, this is the one you want. From that point on, the series gets flat out ridiculous by coming out with a new sequel for the next four years despite John being dead. Most of the new characters (Minus Jill) being introduced were very likable. Saw 3D was easily the worst and it went beyond just being an unnecessary sequel. It was a terrible horror film and came off more like a very cheap knock-off of a Saw film.

Looking back, is it any surprise that the Paranormal Activity films started kicking Saw's ass and basically lead to the death of Saw? At the time of the first film, it was something different and it went by the same simplicity as the first Saw.

Grym Reaper

Reaction score
The films being cranked out for money, honestly, you can say that about any long-running series like F13 or ANOES. Fans keep going to see them and want more, so the studio supplies the demand for more, which isn't a bad thing so long as the films remain interesting and the story goes somewhere.

Saw VII (AKA Saw 3D) was a disappointment given that it was supposed to be the finale to such a long-running and notable series, but I still slightly prefer it to 3 as it has more entertaining parts overall and a cooler ending. 3 was the only entry that left me bored and waiting for it to end.

Reaction score
The films being cranked out for money, honestly, you can say that about any long-running series like F13 or ANOES. Fans keep going to see them and want more, so the studio supplies the demand for more, which isn't a bad thing so long as the films remain interesting and the story goes somewhere.

You can't compare the Saw series with Friday the 13th. They're two completely different vehicles. The whole reason why Paramount was able to pump out a new Friday every year was because there wasn't any real story to it. Jason comes and he kills horny teenagers. With Saw, in order to explain why there was a sequel, they kept trying to come up with some contrived and overly complicated backstory that kept changing in each movie. The original Saw story was not series friendly. Slashers are because you can tell the same story again and people will keep tuning in because of the mindless fun.

There's some movies out there that just shouldn't have sequels.

Grym Reaper

Reaction score
The original Saw originally wasn't intended to be a series but I think the way they crafted it as they went along was pretty clever. They definitely developed Jigsaw into a complex and intriguing character and they filled in the backstory in a neat way that enriched the viewing experience when you went back and watched them all.

Reaction score
The original Saw originally wasn't intended to be a series but I think the way they crafted it as they went along was pretty clever. They definitely developed Jigsaw into a complex and intriguing character and they filled in the backstory in a neat way that enriched the viewing experience when you went back and watched them all.

Or it just irritated the hell out of you that they'd try to throw together some new cheap backstory twist to warrant having yet another sequel. Watching all of the movies in a row just heightens that problem. Once you get past the third film, the movies never end up being any better than average.

Grym Reaper

Reaction score
In all fairness, the series was kind of painted in a corner with the way the third movie ended. I think they crafted a pretty intelligent and clever story out of what they had to work with, even if it's not what I would've preferred for the series to have gone in.